Author Topic: books to read  (Read 431148 times)

Ripped Laces

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 9
  • Dude, this is america. There are idiots everywhere
    • Ripped Laces = Shoe reviews, product reviews & more avatar image
Re: books to read
« Reply #1350 on: July 29, 2012, 05:23:06 AM »
I might read this.

Apparently there are ingredients in the Twinkie that they even have to mine underground for.  ???

Jack

• Rep: 39
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1351 on: July 29, 2012, 10:52:19 AM »
Guys, I am in a mood.  I need something excessively violent and/or nihilistic.  My favorite novel of all time is Blood Meridean if that helps.  Don't bother recommending anything by Bret Easton Ellis, Chuck Pahaliniuk (his quality has sucked for awhile anyway), Cormac McCarthy, Hunter S. Thompson, Nietzsche, Kafka,  Bukowski or Burroughs- I've read and reread all their stuff.  I'm looking for that gem I've never heard of.

Oh, and I just wrapped up Siberian Education by Nicolai Lilin.  It's a true account of a criminal from Siberia.  Really awesome book.

George Bataille. Story of the Eye. Short, sweet, totally fucked. See also everything else he ever wrote. Someone already said Celine right? Don't miss that.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
« Reply #1352 on: July 29, 2012, 05:22:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Guys, I am in a mood.  I need something excessively violent and/or nihilistic.  My favorite novel of all time is Blood Meridean if that helps.  Don't bother recommending anything by Bret Easton Ellis, Chuck Pahaliniuk (his quality has sucked for awhile anyway), Cormac McCarthy, Hunter S. Thompson, Nietzsche, Kafka,  Bukowski or Burroughs- I've read and reread all their stuff.  I'm looking for that gem I've never heard of.

Oh, and I just wrapped up Siberian Education by Nicolai Lilin.  It's a true account of a criminal from Siberia.  Really awesome book.
[close]

George Bataille. Story of the Eye. Short, sweet, totally fucked. See also everything else he ever wrote. Someone already said Celine right? Don't miss that.

I fucking love Georges Bataille. I've never read anyone whose writings sit in my bones and resonate so long after I've put the book down like Bataille.

diggles

• Rep: -5
« Reply #1353 on: July 29, 2012, 05:59:18 PM »
Satan's Rapper
Satan's Rapper is the story of upcoming superstar rapper Sykik, the hot new MC on ENO Live Records, the Hip-Hop industry's most feared and respected record label. Sykik is on the fast track to riches and finer things, while behind the scenes, his rise to fame is fuelled by dark rituals, black magic and sinister mind control technology. All goes according to plan, until disaster strikes and Satan's Rapper finds himself fighting for his very soul.

Will Sykik regain control and escape the evils he unleashed ? or is it already too late?
http://www.amazon.com/Satans-Rapper-Derek-Washington/dp/1478263881

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -21
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #1354 on: July 30, 2012, 12:45:41 AM »
this thread + amazon = buying lots of books that are good for me.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2593
« Reply #1355 on: July 30, 2012, 01:46:55 AM »
Dude, use this site, you'll save a few euros...
http://www.bookdepository.com/
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -21
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #1356 on: July 30, 2012, 02:18:57 AM »
thank's but I just compared some book prices and amazon germany is way cheaper (for german books). bought some kafka, murakami and a french book last week - I have now 12 books that need to be read in the next time, really looking forward to.

right now i'm reading thomas mann "die buddenbrooks", the story about his family. it's not bad, but sometimes I have the feeling that it's one of these books my grandma used to read. you know, a bit of history, a bit of love, drama and all people are kind of the upper class.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 02:31:17 AM by Matze »

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2593
« Reply #1357 on: July 30, 2012, 03:02:56 AM »
Ah, right, thought you were getting them in English.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

ed...

• Rep: 57
« Reply #1358 on: July 30, 2012, 03:49:22 AM »
thank's but I just compared some book prices and amazon germany is way cheaper (for german books). bought some kafka, murakami and a french book last week - I have now 12 books that need to be read in the next time, really looking forward to.

right now i'm reading thomas mann "die buddenbrooks", the story about his family. it's not bad, but sometimes I have the feeling that it's one of these books my grandma used to read. you know, a bit of history, a bit of love, drama and all people are kind of the upper class.

Have you read Der Tod In Venedig by Mann? Really eerie story about obsession and loss of self control.

Also, anyone ever read any Alastair Gray? Finished 1982, Janine a while ago which was so dark and nihilistic but completely sympathetic at the same time. It's the interior monologue and elaborate sexual fantasies of a middle-aged Scottish alcoholic as he slides towards overdose, definitely reccomended.

Bronson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #1359 on: July 31, 2012, 09:49:13 AM »

Half way through this gem of a book, it has had me hooked sine the first page. Some parts have literally given me that weightless falling feeling where you cant beleive what you are reading as you desperatly flip back through the pages in search of some context that you may have missed.

A real new contender for my top ten, highly recomended.
I picked this one up yesterday from the library and am about 200 pages deep, pretty entertaining. Just have to kind of let go of everything while reading it because some of the twists and characters seem so ridiculous..

Oh, thanks for the recommendation!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 12:14:48 PM by Bronson »

Greg Ostertag

• Rep: 47
  • Trabajo sucio
« Reply #1360 on: July 31, 2012, 04:49:32 PM »
I'm gonna take a gamble and recommend a book I'm only 3 chapters in.  The Wettest County In The World by Matt Bondurant.  I totally forgot that this was the book that the movie Lawless is based on, but the author has a lot of folks comparing him to Cormac McCarthy.  I gotta say, they're not lying.  Dude has a really cool writing style and it's already pretty gnarly.  Thoroughly psyched.

Homeboy teaches creative writing at UT Dallas. I took his class, but I couldn't get into Wettest County. Maybe because I sort of knew the guy? Maybe because he wore sandals with jeans? At any rate,  It was cool to study under a legitimate novelist.
Cold Ghengis

MaryhillVibe

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 151
  • gfm
    • www.mudozine.com avatar image
« Reply #1361 on: July 31, 2012, 05:46:50 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Have you read Der Tod In Venedig by Mann? Really eerie story about obsession and loss of self control.

Also, anyone ever read any Alastair Gray? Finished 1982, Janine a while ago which was so dark and nihilistic but completely sympathetic at the same time. It's the interior monologue and elaborate sexual fantasies of a middle-aged Scottish alcoholic as he slides towards overdose, definitely reccomended.

Alastair Grey is another favourite of mine, His first novel "Lanark" is split into four seperrate sections or "books" and gives a dark and dystopian insight (or lack there of) into Glasgow life.

And Bronson. I got through all families are psycotic in two further sittings, Glad you are enjoying it.

Right now im reading the a book of the 52 greates New york times obituaries.

Its a sometimes heart wrenching but never the less compelling read. I enjoy reading anything that offers you such a porportedly concise view on something while you know the whole time that you are only seeing what must be the smalles part of some greater whole, and are left to fill in the blanks and imagine deeper.

And when its is not a woven tale, but the summation of a life lived, it really makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #1362 on: August 17, 2012, 04:14:16 PM »
Sirens of Titan by Vonnegut. Great prose and trippy plot line as always.

Junky by William S Burroughs. Its about heroin junkies in the '50s. As a pothead I'm entertained by his descriptions of 'teaheads' and its just a real good book. But definitely would recommend to anybody has been/is a junkie.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 04:16:03 PM by ChronicBluntSlider »

buttpirate

• Rep: 32
« Reply #1363 on: August 18, 2012, 01:12:23 AM »

just finished this, pretty blown away. it took me about 4 tries to get started, and I originally thought it would be about endless dead tree babies, but it ends up evolving into something much bigger and complex.

for anyone else that was lost at the epilogue like myself, there's a great reading of it here:
http://theeveningrednessinthewest.wordpress.com/2009/08/28/gnosticism-and-mccarthys-blood-meridian/

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1364 on: August 26, 2012, 11:08:24 AM »
started to read "Dracula", and damn, i read the words "cock" and "gay" more often than i would?ve guessed for a book where someone sucks on someone else.

BRIX SKWIKZ

« Reply #1365 on: August 26, 2012, 11:42:37 AM »

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1366 on: August 26, 2012, 04:38:40 PM »

Guy gives an In Cold Blood style look into 80's gang life in Chicago.  I found it very interesting.  As if Freakonomics met Capote in the 80's.

Haven't read that book, but if I remember correctly, he wasn't the most ethical in his research conduct.  Like to the point where he wouldn't have gotten published by an academic press if he had submitted his manuscript to them.

steve

• Rep: 45
« Reply #1367 on: August 26, 2012, 08:05:13 PM »
it feels good to be able to read what I want...

Bruce is a professor at the school I just graduated from. The BSU English department is lucky to have him. his work, this book in particular, has a real dark, realist tinge. It's a beautiful labor to read each sentence, so much so that I can't imagine how labor intensive it was to write them. Definitely not a potato chip read and it's one of the better novels I've read in a long fucking time.

Drop Edge of Yonder is a strange novel set in the American West, 1849ish, yet moves through realms of time and space. easy, entertaining read. no value other than sheer enjoyment. really strong, masculine tale that at times makes me think of the first gunslinger novel by Stephen King, but with graphic sex and murder scenes.

octavia butler's follow up from parable of the sower. Set in a dystopian United States where corporations own the country and the last refuge of freedom is humboldt county CA. good read, although I enjoyed parable of the sower more.

Paul Theroux is a fucking awesome travel writer. The first book details a trip from cairo to cape town, overland via train. The 2nd begins in London and makes his way through Europe and all of Asia, again on a train. Theroux gets grit and puts on no airs. These books will make you want to get on a train and see it all. I was especially blown away by the stories of moving through eastern Europe and the former USSR as presented in Ghost Train.

Earth Liberation Front.

central american genocide supported by US government...

what the fuck was going on in the ferriswheel??? the biggest cock she'd ever seen? wow, this book absolutely kills me.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1368 on: September 02, 2012, 05:39:12 PM »
Finally finished Only Revolutions on Friday.  It took a little while to get through and it wasn't as good as House of Leaves.  I still enjoyed it though.  Especially the last 40 pages of each person's narrative.

Started this on Friday on the train right after I finished Only Revolutions.  First exposure to DFW

Truancy

• Rep: 7
  • GFC lifestyle
« Reply #1369 on: September 02, 2012, 06:19:32 PM »

Not the same dude who wrote People's History of the United States, but mindblowingly interesting anyways. 
Man enough to carry cuffs
Man enough to stand trial

bentmode

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Da$h
« Reply #1370 on: September 02, 2012, 06:23:13 PM »
^check your pm's
Han solo blew up the Death Star in Episode 4.  Heard it from a friend.  Reliable source.

cringe.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 414
« Reply #1371 on: September 02, 2012, 07:14:33 PM »

heard this recommended multiple times, notably slap, and it was really cool. unlike stuff id read before, lots of complex stuff going on within overarching frameworks of 'thriller novel plots' - pretty postmodern in how it treats the reader/writer relationship... limits of certainty, doubt, meaning etc are all important and v. interesting, the purposely disorientating layered narratives really get you invested in the immediate mysteries as well as mysteries of 'human nature' (to phrase it clunkily)

i like hemingway's writing, and enjoyed this novel... but markedly less so than others of his i'd read. i just didnt get along with the characters that well, the traditionalist masculine:feminine binary i found a bit frustrating... catherine's subservience and helplessness vs. henry's bravado and courage... i dunno it just didnt seem as multi-faceted as the protagonists of For Whom the Bell Tolls or The Sun Also Rises. definitely an interesting account of love's struggle for survival against a context of brutality, death, and expected dedications to country..battle, comrades etc. ending provides a pretty bleak realism to shatter the romantic illusions trying to grow through the novel, which was effective

this in contrast i found super rad. i was aware of the mass hype this novella has.. but after reading it i felt it was deserving. im sure most people have read it... but i will say that it is written beautifully and its exploration of the enrichments and vitality of life - and death - were really cool. nice short emotionally interesting read

was so stoked to finish this - which is quite indicative of my feelings by the end of it... seriously great book, one of the most experimental, interesting, important... but also required a lot of effort..! i really want to read a lot more about it, because i know so many things will have gone over my head... but as an experience just reading it and going with it was awesome. such a fresh way of representing human experience and thought and feelings, especially when you consider the 'victorian novel' it developed away from. the rolling stream-of-consciousness/ free-indirect-speech from character to character seamlessly provides a super-immediate awareness of the tapestry of personal experiences and subjectivities operating in any one scene... and Leopold is awesome. definitely a lot of passages that i had to struggle to get through, but its all part of the reader experience... last 40 pages are rad when the narrative changes to Molly. managed it in 2 and a half weeks which i was pretty proud of ....  : )

another one lots will have read... i liked it, nothing i would rave about, but a good read. the withholding of certainty by not documenting the murders really involves you as a reader in the case. rather than coercing you into opinions through emotionally-loaded character depictions Capote's factual style allows personal judgements to develop. the exploring of multiple perspectives on the cause and effect of murder is cool and a little scary at the realisation of the humanism of the 'monster' murderers - well Perry really. gotta appreciate capote's crazy lengths of research and its influence on crime genre too..

enjoyed reading some non-fiction after all the novels i usually read... levi-strauss's account of his travels to Brazil are really interesting on both an anthropological and artistic/philosophical level, he is very perceptive, sensitive and considered in his thoughts and writing, and there are many passages that provide different - i would say purified - responses to people, nature, travel, philosophy, the self etc that i found very compelling. the cultural study is really cool and is presented in a way that is passionately genuine, rather than cold dissection... in that way it was a pretty unifying read of what could easily have been presented as disparate genres, and i believe it was quite influential for this . raddd

reading this at the moment... Conrad is a super incisive writer... really interested to see how it develops, very cool so far. rad explorations of corruption, power, politics, personal choices and London's relationship with these (which im enjoying as a londoner)

kilgore.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1372 on: September 02, 2012, 07:34:38 PM »
No holds barred, til labias say "free us"
then its straight to your kids' school, wine coolers in the Prius

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1373 on: September 02, 2012, 08:58:02 PM »
I fucking love Ulysses.  And it only gets better the more times you read it.  These books will be super helpful too, especially now that you can start digging past the plot points:

http://www.amazon.com/Ulysses-Annotated-Revised-Expanded-Edition/dp/0520067452 --This helps you understand the slang, other languages, and historical context/events of the novel.  It's super expansive and super through.

http://www.amazon.com/The-New-Bloomsday-Book-Through/dp/0415138582 --This is a good summary of the plot to help track events.  It's super helpful especially during the hospital episode.

cringe.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 414
« Reply #1374 on: September 03, 2012, 06:58:55 AM »
thanks very much dude  : )

VictoriousOG

« Reply #1375 on: September 04, 2012, 08:00:53 PM »

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 422
« Reply #1376 on: September 04, 2012, 08:05:04 PM »

My sister in law gave me this book to read and I know it's super popular but I couldn't put it down. It's seriously gnarly how this guy survived at sea and what people went through at POW camps. It's really well written and just a crazy story. It's really long, but worth it.

Also, he starts skateboarding in his 80's. Badass.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 08:07:14 PM by RCB3 »

Irvine-Sucks.com

SUPERNAUT

• Rep: -70
  • suck it
    • Max Hates Your Favorite Movies avatar image
« Reply #1377 on: September 04, 2012, 09:10:53 PM »

maxhatesyourfavoritemovies.blogspot.com

Yushin Okami

• Rep: 115
« Reply #1378 on: September 05, 2012, 08:28:13 AM »
This was hilarious
We all know you have two sexy anthropomorphic wolves who buttfuck each other on the bottom of your board.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #1379 on: September 05, 2012, 12:13:46 PM »

I finally read a Vonnegut book...Cat's Cradle.  It was pretty damn good and those short chapters make you feel you're actually getting somewhere haha.  Based on the plot descriptions I'd probably read Sirens of Titan next.  For now I'm going back to non-fiction reading the People's History of the United States.  I'm only one chapter deep though.