Author Topic: books to read  (Read 431283 times)

SUPERNAUT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -70
  • suck it
    • Max Hates Your Favorite Movies avatar image
Re: books to read
« Reply #1380 on: September 05, 2012, 01:09:10 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I finally read a Vonnegut book...Cat's Cradle.  It was pretty damn good and those short chapters make you feel you're actually getting somewhere haha.  Based on the plot descriptions I'd probably read Sirens of Titan next.  For now I'm going back to non-fiction reading the People's History of the United States.  I'm only one chapter deep though.
I would recommend you read both these books, one after the other in any order. Especially, Slaughterhouse-5, it's probably the best book ever written besides ulysess

maxhatesyourfavoritemovies.blogspot.com

BuddyPal

« Reply #1381 on: September 05, 2012, 02:04:16 PM »
books i bought off of amazon

BRIX SKWIKZ

« Reply #1382 on: September 05, 2012, 08:55:07 PM »

captainfalcon69

• Rep: 15
« Reply #1383 on: September 06, 2012, 05:12:44 PM »
the rebel by albert camus if your into that philosophy shit

pancake man

• Rep: 34
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1384 on: September 06, 2012, 05:34:36 PM »
gonna be reading Blindness by Saramago soon, anyone read this novel?

Truancy

• Rep: 7
  • GFC lifestyle
« Reply #1385 on: September 06, 2012, 08:33:19 PM »

This may be my favorite book cover ever though. The green is the writing inside; it's just purely evocative.
Man enough to carry cuffs
Man enough to stand trial

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -21
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #1386 on: September 07, 2012, 03:53:30 AM »
currently reading this ...

finisched this one last week, a lovely story about a little jewish boy, who lives in an orphanage during the the 2nd world war. this was my first book in french since 10-12 years. this mean that I read books in 4 different languages this year, hoooray.

huh

• Rep: -5
« Reply #1387 on: September 10, 2012, 09:31:33 PM »

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #1388 on: September 10, 2012, 09:40:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

I finally read a Vonnegut book...Cat's Cradle.  It was pretty damn good and those short chapters make you feel you're actually getting somewhere haha.  Based on the plot descriptions I'd probably read Sirens of Titan next.  For now I'm going back to non-fiction reading the People's History of the United States.  I'm only one chapter deep though.
[close]
I would recommend you read both these books, one after the other in any order. Especially, Slaughterhouse-5, it's probably the best book ever written besides ulysess

one year in college i thought it would be a good idea to throw away my tv and read every vonnegut book in the library.  i went a little crazy that year.

just finished this; i liked it a lot:

Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 379
« Reply #1389 on: September 10, 2012, 10:37:22 PM »
That Vonnegut thing sounds like a great idea. I was super into Vonnegut from the second half of my junior yer until the end of my senior year in high school. I read all of his books except three within that time span. It was pretty amazing.

I was a reading machine then. I remember counting the number of books I read over that entire school year (for school and for fun) and being amazed at how many things I read in 9 months.

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #1390 on: September 10, 2012, 11:16:40 PM »

One of my favorites. Made me want to start writing.

Greg Ostertag

• Rep: 47
  • Trabajo sucio
« Reply #1391 on: September 11, 2012, 08:23:35 PM »
Re-read Naked Lunch and watched a documentary on Burroughs. I really appreciate the dude as a writer.
If I was gay, I'd probably beat off to Wild Boys on the reg.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 08:25:14 PM by Greg Ostertag »
Cold Ghengis

BRIX SKWIKZ

« Reply #1392 on: September 12, 2012, 10:12:29 PM »

steve

• Rep: 45
« Reply #1393 on: September 13, 2012, 08:27:04 PM »

very interesting ideas in this book. new criticism, post modern theory, deconstructionist theory in the literary academy are as helpless and hopeless as right wing religious zealotry in that they encourage nihilism and apathy, leaving the lives (and in the case of religious zealots, life on this planet) of those who adhere to such beliefs meaningless. Words have the power to bring meaning to life and do in fact evoke empathy and social change.

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #1394 on: September 14, 2012, 03:57:41 AM »
Can someone explain to me why the great gatsby is a good book?

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #1395 on: September 14, 2012, 04:58:50 AM »
I finished to read a Kafka book with basically all his stories..it's been really harsh but rewarding, to be honest I guess I understood barely just 50% of the content, like meanings and whatnot were REALLY hard to comprehend most of the time, but the things I got were really inspiring and mindblowing!
Anyone that experienced this?
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

BRIX SKWIKZ

« Reply #1396 on: September 14, 2012, 04:59:21 AM »
FEELS LIKE TIME TRAVELLING OR SOMETHING

steve

« Reply #1397 on: September 14, 2012, 06:40:05 AM »
I finished to read a Kafka book with basically all his stories..it's been really harsh but rewarding, to be honest I guess I understood barely just 50% of the content, like meanings and whatnot were REALLY hard to comprehend most of the time, but the things I got were really inspiring and mindblowing!
Anyone that experienced this?

They're great stories, eh? Read them again. Read some of Marx and Slavoj Zizek ideas on the nature of Authority and unfreedoms.

A good book to read, that draws similarities to The Penal Colony is JM Coetzee's "Waiting for the Barbarians."

Laban Fetus

« Reply #1398 on: September 14, 2012, 12:48:54 PM »
I've been getting into Brautigan. The store I went to didn't have any of his classic works like "Trout Fishing In America" or "In Watermelon Sugar" so I opted for this.

Man, I've never read someone who could be both hilarious and totally depressing at the same time. He's got a great ability at engaging the reader with just a few simple lines. I suppose he was tied in with the 60's counter culture (which he resented apparently) but I wouldn't group him with the beats or anything. Highly recommended to those into the silly and strange

other stuff I've read this year:
Ask The Dust by John Fante (brilliant)

My Life With Charles Manson by Paul Watkins (you're not gonna find this in stores or even on Ebay, I had to download a PDF of it and squint my way through. It was written by a member of the family and is pretty much the only book you need. Everything is here.. the orgies, killings etc in full detail by a guy who saw it)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 01:02:53 PM by Laban Fetus »

Greg Ostertag

• Trabajo sucio
« Reply #1399 on: September 18, 2012, 07:48:20 PM »
I've been getting into Brautigan. The store I went to didn't have any of his classic works like "Trout Fishing In America" or "In Watermelon Sugar" so I opted for this.

Man, I've never read someone who could be both hilarious and totally depressing at the same time. He's got a great ability at engaging the reader with just a few simple lines. I suppose he was tied in with the 60's counter culture (which he resented apparently) but I wouldn't group him with the beats or anything. Highly recommended to those into the silly and strange

other stuff I've read this year:
Ask The Dust by John Fante (brilliant)

My Life With Charles Manson by Paul Watkins (you're not gonna find this in stores or even on Ebay, I had to download a PDF of it and squint my way through. It was written by a member of the family and is pretty much the only book you need. Everything is here.. the orgies, killings etc in full detail by a guy who saw it)

Definitely going to check out this Brautigan character... Sounds like my kind of scribbler.
Cold Ghengis

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #1400 on: September 18, 2012, 09:00:06 PM »
^ I read alot of Brautigan in high school and that was my favorite collection. I should really go back to it sometime.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

BRIX SKWIKZ

« Reply #1401 on: September 18, 2012, 10:03:54 PM »
DONDE ESTA EL LINK PLEASE
MEANWHILE I WILL BE READING THIS

http://www.internal.org/Sylvia_Plath
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 10:19:08 PM by BRIX SKWIKZ »

MFLUDER

« Reply #1402 on: September 18, 2012, 11:57:47 PM »
The sun also rises - Ernest Hemingway.

Half through, I wish I was a man like those guys.

BRIX SKWIKZ

« Reply #1403 on: September 19, 2012, 01:58:21 AM »

steve

« Reply #1404 on: September 19, 2012, 01:34:59 PM »

save some money, travel to another country, get drunk, get fucked, and write about it. make sure you tell the stories of your exploits in an explosive way.

Greg Ostertag

• Trabajo sucio
« Reply #1405 on: September 19, 2012, 05:45:14 PM »

As One Is by J. Krishnamurti

Heavy stuff
Cold Ghengis

HairyCunt

• Rep: -348
« Reply #1406 on: September 19, 2012, 08:38:19 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

save some money, travel to another country, get drunk, get fucked, and write about it. make sure you tell the stories of your exploits in an explosive way.

Please don't do this. It's been played out since Hemingway did it. 

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #1407 on: September 19, 2012, 10:43:41 PM »
Ya, it's definitely a literary ABD. Hemingway's ideal of masculinity is impossible to live up to anyway, no matter how much drinking and fucking you do.

Could be fun though...

McDuff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #1408 on: September 20, 2012, 06:58:40 AM »

this is probably next for me. its about a girl who was a hasidic jew that left the faith. she took classes at a local college and learned how to write, thus producing this book. she describes her day to day life, what she had to go through being a member of said faith. i live next to a town where almost 70% of people are hasidic jews (not brooklyn), and since i can remember, ive always been ridiculously curious about them, what they believe and what "rules" they are brought up to follow.

little intervew here
http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/was_hasidic_jew_but_broke_free_IeRSVA4eX8ypg4Ne8cBdSK

steve

« Reply #1409 on: September 20, 2012, 10:37:23 AM »

awesome novel. sat and read it from 9-3am last night.