Author Topic: books to read  (Read 431150 times)

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: books to read
« Reply #1440 on: October 09, 2012, 02:40:45 AM »

sametelt

• Rep: 17
« Reply #1441 on: October 09, 2012, 05:41:17 AM »

Incredible, of course. Don't know why I'd never read Joe Conrad before this. What do y'all think about his other stuff? Any recommendations?

I really enjoyed Nostromo. It's doesn't really resemble Heart of Darkness that much, but if you're psyched on Conrad you should definitely check it out.

Reading this at the moment

So good. Haven't read anything by Delillo in a long time, almost forgot how brilliant his writing is.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 05:43:26 AM by sametelt »

Mundungus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 58
  • ∆∆∆
« Reply #1442 on: October 09, 2012, 06:02:41 AM »
-Wheel of Time series (the first 11 books before the original author died, and new author took over are a little slow but you will come to love them are classics, and then the two books written by the new author are better in some ways but regardless continue the series well and will def be some solid rereadery. The last book, the 14th, is getting released in January and it's going to be big one for me.)

-Stranger in a Strange Land (I think most people have read this book but I might be wrong. I love this book, and consider it one of the formative books of my youth. But I am pretty stoked on Sci-Fi so keep that in mind. )

-Gnomes (pictionary styled compendium of gnome knowledge, an essential for anyone interested in gnome culture. Readily available at every thrift store ever.)

Bitter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 162
« Reply #1443 on: October 09, 2012, 08:02:26 AM »

So good. Haven't read anything by Delillo in a long time, almost forgot how brilliant his writing is.

Any suggestions for Delillo? I read Great Jones Street a couple years ago, and loved it, but haven't followed up with anything else. 

Bitter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 162
« Reply #1444 on: October 09, 2012, 08:13:20 AM »
Expand Quote

I wasn't completely happy with the ending, but really enjoyed the overall concept. It's basically Cabin In The Woods set in a corporate office.
[close]

Such a great recommendation!  I needed a book like this.  Highly entertaining, witty, and fun.  Thanks a mil!
Have you read his other two novels?

I've read Jennifer Government. Also really entertaining and smart. If you liked Company, you'd be into it. It's about corporations and advertising in the near future. Nike hiring contract killers to murder people that buy Nike's new shoe, so as to help with Nike's street cred.

steve

• Rep: 45
« Reply #1445 on: October 09, 2012, 02:06:25 PM »
Man, I'm eating lunch at work today, quinoa, basmati rice, and blackbeans, drinking some water and reading/editing a short story that a friend wrote, when a coworker says "you ever read that book by Tucker Max? It's the greatest book I've ever read." Since I just started working here 9 days ago, and due to the nature of the job depend on my coworkers to help me out as a team, I said "yeah. pretty funny." and went back to work. Really though, what the fuck? I can't stand this crap. I haven't been around people who don't think in a long time and don't like it.

cringe.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 414
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1446 on: October 09, 2012, 04:44:52 PM »
Expand Quote

Incredible, of course. Don't know why I'd never read Joe Conrad before this. What do y'all think about his other stuff? Any recommendations?
[close]

I really enjoyed Nostromo. It's doesn't really resemble Heart of Darkness that much, but if you're psyched on Conrad you should definitely check it out.
The Secret Agent i read recently and it was pretty dope, altho not as good as H of D, gonna read Lord Jim soon too which is supposed to be really cool

HairyCunt

• Rep: -348
« Reply #1447 on: October 09, 2012, 05:17:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

I wasn't completely happy with the ending, but really enjoyed the overall concept. It's basically Cabin In The Woods set in a corporate office.
[close]

Such a great recommendation!  I needed a book like this.  Highly entertaining, witty, and fun.  Thanks a mil!
[close]

I've read Jennifer Government. Also really entertaining and smart. If you liked Company, you'd be into it. It's about corporations and advertising in the near future. Nike hiring contract killers to murder people that buy Nike's new shoe, so as to help with Nike's street cred.

That sounds so stupid. Everyone is wearing British Knights right?

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #1448 on: October 11, 2012, 11:47:18 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Any suggestions for Delillo? I read Great Jones Street a couple years ago, and loved it, but haven't followed up with anything else. 

White Noise is a must read.  very funny, clever book
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2593
« Reply #1449 on: October 11, 2012, 03:58:23 PM »
Love Evelyn Waugh! Vile Bodies is a great book but the Sword of Honour trilogy is even better. It's about his ww2 service (actually it's fiction but semi-autobigraphical)...
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 04:00:42 PM by Alan »
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

cringe.

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1450 on: October 11, 2012, 05:05:01 PM »
yeah man vile bodies was damn awesome... kinda like a great gastsby set in London without the indulgence and glamourisation.. much more critical, darkly comic and sad. such great dialogue, definitely one of the best things about this book.. that and there being a character called fanny throbbing. will check that out tnx

thepman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -94
« Reply #1451 on: October 12, 2012, 03:50:47 PM »
skating is all about choosing your outfit very deliberately, going out in public. looking super sick. and then riding your board a little bit

Jackie Joyner Kersee

• Rep: 13
« Reply #1452 on: October 13, 2012, 01:15:21 AM »
any recommendations on the order for reading murakami's books?

also reread the beach by alex garland which may be my favorite book, go get it from yo local library

kilgore.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1453 on: October 25, 2012, 11:06:54 PM »

No holds barred, til labias say "free us"
then its straight to your kids' school, wine coolers in the Prius

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -21
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #1454 on: October 25, 2012, 11:29:25 PM »
finished murakamis after dark ... not as good as kafka on the shore, but still a nice read.

started to read dietrich schwanitz book about eduction. well, it's more an encyclopedia about the most important things you need to know about history, religion, culture, philosophy, writing and whatnot. kind of the the things that you missed in school because it bored the hell out of you when you were 15 and greek history had nothing in common with keenans switchstance crooks. this is going to be something that I'll have to read a couple of times in my life I guess (over 600 pages full of informations).

BRIX SKWIKZ

cringe.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1456 on: November 08, 2012, 05:10:14 PM »

yeh i read that last week too, really enjoyed it actually. kinda weird the whole simultaneously non-fiction/literary thing it has going on, makes it harder to read critically, - and the overtly politicised bits toward the end i found a lil bit compromising - but still a rly awesome endeavour and very earnest.... can see elements of beat/bukowski pre cursoring in it too

awesum

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #1457 on: November 08, 2012, 05:21:55 PM »
I've always loved Twain but hadn't read any of his stuff in years and almost forgot how clever and funny he is.

kilgore.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1458 on: November 08, 2012, 08:53:59 PM »
No holds barred, til labias say "free us"
then its straight to your kids' school, wine coolers in the Prius

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
« Reply #1459 on: November 08, 2012, 09:18:15 PM »

Borrowed this from my uncle and took a break from more serious books. It was a super fun and quick read. I finished it in like 4 days. If you like Anthony Bourdain, I would definitely recommend picking it up.

The Human Condom

• Free condoms! Free condoms from The Human Condom.
    • : /skeɪt/ avatar image
« Reply #1460 on: November 08, 2012, 09:20:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Such a great recommendation!  I needed a book like this.  Highly entertaining, witty, and fun.  Thanks a mil!
[close]

I just read Syrup andJennifer Government.  I still like Company the best. 
Did you end up reading Syrup?  I feel like the exact scenario he wrote about in it just happened when the movie "The Watch" was made if you substitute Coke-a-Cola with Costco.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 09:22:47 PM by The Human Condom »

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #1461 on: November 08, 2012, 09:43:45 PM »

Borrowed this from my uncle and took a break from more serious books. It was a super fun and quick read. I finished it in like 4 days. If you like Anthony Bourdain, I would definitely recommend picking it up.
Check out Medium Raw.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #1462 on: November 09, 2012, 07:53:34 AM »

just picked this up, look forward to having time to read it.

thepman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -94
« Reply #1463 on: November 09, 2012, 09:19:00 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
yeh i read that last week too, really enjoyed it actually. kinda weird the whole simultaneously non-fiction/literary thing it has going on, makes it harder to read critically, - and the overtly politicised bits toward the end i found a lil bit compromising - but still a rly awesome endeavour and very earnest.... can see elements of beat/bukowski pre cursoring in it too

awesum

I totally agree, Orwell was pretty young at the time though so his political views are a little more raw than his later books. I'm in the middle of reading The Road to Wigan Pier at the moment.
skating is all about choosing your outfit very deliberately, going out in public. looking super sick. and then riding your board a little bit

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Rep: -8
« Reply #1464 on: November 11, 2012, 01:07:11 PM »

started to read dietrich schwanitz book about eduction. well, it's more an encyclopedia about the most important things you need to know about history, religion, culture, philosophy, writing and whatnot. kind of the the things that you missed in school because it bored the hell out of you when you were 15 and greek history had nothing in common with keenans switchstance crooks. this is going to be something that I'll have to read a couple of times in my life I guess (over 600 pages full of informations).

I've read Schwanitz's years ago and while it's excellent for refreshing your knowledge of ancient history, philosophy etc. and a decent encyclopedia, I didn't really like it. Although he comes off as a superintellectual dude, his accounts of some writers, philosophies etc. are just blatantly wrong. I specifically recall big bullshit in the Marx chapter. He also has a weird selection going on. According to this book basically no book, movie (!!!) etc. that came into being after 1945 is worth mentioning. One could also get the impression that everything besides Baroque and Classical music is not A-class "cultural experience". All in all he comes off like a complete, albeit sometimes funny, snob in this book. I got that he's always making fun of just these higher circles but he still seems very much part of it.

SF_EMB

• Rep: 12
« Reply #1465 on: November 11, 2012, 03:02:30 PM »
Pretty insightful stuff especially if you're a musician.

& bought this. A Must.

The Human Condom

• Free condoms! Free condoms from The Human Condom.
    • : /skeɪt/ avatar image
« Reply #1466 on: November 22, 2012, 06:05:14 PM »

It made me laugh quietly to myself.  Very motivational as well.

SUPERNAUT

• Rep: -70
  • suck it
    • Max Hates Your Favorite Movies avatar image
« Reply #1467 on: November 22, 2012, 06:50:17 PM »
The Lords and the New Creatures, Wilderness, and The American Night. They're jim morrison's poetry books. I feel bad for him, when the first one was published he wanted it to be judged on its own merit instead of just being Jim Morrison: the rockstar's poetry! So he wanted the credit to go to "James Douglas Morrison" and have a regular cover. Instead the publishing company put that "young lion picture of him big as hell on the cover and said Jim Morrison also big as hell. Great poetry, though. Especially the excerpts about film.

maxhatesyourfavoritemovies.blogspot.com

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
« Reply #1468 on: November 23, 2012, 06:23:01 AM »

It's about these mountain people who live in filth and impregnate their own kids/siblings so everyone is disabled and/or deformed.  It's a true story too, made national headlines in the 80's.  What's crazy is that it happened just a couple hours from my town.  And there's probably still some messed up people back there.  Needless to say, it's a pretty intense read.  Guilt is starting to kick in too, because for the past year my friends and I have frequently used "Goler" as an insult.

SUPERNAUT

• Rep: -70
  • suck it
    • Max Hates Your Favorite Movies avatar image
« Reply #1469 on: November 23, 2012, 11:51:31 AM »

It's about these mountain people who live in filth and impregnate their own kids/siblings so everyone is disabled and/or deformed.  It's a true story too, made national headlines in the 80's.  What's crazy is that it happened just a couple hours from my town.  And there's probably still some messed up people back there.  Needless to say, it's a pretty intense read.  Guilt is starting to kick in too, because for the past year my friends and I have frequently used "Goler" as an insult.
dude that sounds so good, I'll have to check that out

maxhatesyourfavoritemovies.blogspot.com