Author Topic: books to read  (Read 247255 times)

kilgore.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
Re: books to read
« Reply #1470 on: October 08, 2012, 06:10:32 PM »

No holds barred, til labias say "free us"
then its straight to your kids' school, wine coolers in the Prius

swagdragon123

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -106
  • I take my internet usernames xtremly serious
    • HOBOHOGAN
« Reply #1471 on: October 08, 2012, 10:52:28 PM »

Incredible, of course. Don't know why I'd never read Joe Conrad before this. What do y'all think about his other stuff? Any recommendations?

I've been into reading shorter novels and novellas lately. It might just be laziness, but I'll take a pared down, powerfully written novella over a fluffy, narcissistic epic any day.
I would recommend watching the movie "Apocalypse Now" and compare the themes in Heart of Darkness.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 11:00:19 PM by swagdragon123 »

The Human Condom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
  • Free condoms! Free condoms from The Human Condom.
    • : /skeɪt/
« Reply #1472 on: October 08, 2012, 10:56:11 PM »

I wasn't completely happy with the ending, but really enjoyed the overall concept. It's basically Cabin In The Woods set in a corporate office.

Such a great recommendation!  I needed a book like this.  Highly entertaining, witty, and fun.  Thanks a mil!
Have you read his other two novels?

swagdragon123

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -106
  • I take my internet usernames xtremly serious
    • HOBOHOGAN
« Reply #1473 on: October 08, 2012, 11:16:37 PM »

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 198
« Reply #1474 on: October 09, 2012, 12:04:46 AM »
Reading Georges Bataille's Guilty right now, as well as Michel Surya's biography of him. Guilty is written in a journal format, so it makes it hard to get super into, although it's interesting to read Bataille's thought-processes and see the beginnings of his themes and obsessions.

Both of them are taking me a while to get through though. I've read a lot lately (these are my fifth and sixth books for fun since the middle of June, not including extra readings while I was finishing schoolwork), so I think I might need a break or something quick and easy to read after these. Maybe I'll be get a copy of Colbert's new book and read that.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 06:44:05 PM by oyolar »

rfox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
« Reply #1475 on: October 09, 2012, 02:17:22 AM »
I should probably read better books but there is a new Halo book and I am reading it.

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #1476 on: October 09, 2012, 02:40:45 AM »

sametelt

• Rep: 17
« Reply #1477 on: October 09, 2012, 05:41:17 AM »

Incredible, of course. Don't know why I'd never read Joe Conrad before this. What do y'all think about his other stuff? Any recommendations?

I really enjoyed Nostromo. It's doesn't really resemble Heart of Darkness that much, but if you're psyched on Conrad you should definitely check it out.

Reading this at the moment

So good. Haven't read anything by Delillo in a long time, almost forgot how brilliant his writing is.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 05:43:26 AM by sametelt »

Mundungus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 50
  • ∆∆∆
« Reply #1478 on: October 09, 2012, 06:02:41 AM »
-Wheel of Time series (the first 11 books before the original author died, and new author took over are a little slow but you will come to love them are classics, and then the two books written by the new author are better in some ways but regardless continue the series well and will def be some solid rereadery. The last book, the 14th, is getting released in January and it's going to be big one for me.)

-Stranger in a Strange Land (I think most people have read this book but I might be wrong. I love this book, and consider it one of the formative books of my youth. But I am pretty stoked on Sci-Fi so keep that in mind. )

-Gnomes (pictionary styled compendium of gnome knowledge, an essential for anyone interested in gnome culture. Readily available at every thrift store ever.)

Bitter

• Rep: 105
« Reply #1479 on: October 09, 2012, 08:02:26 AM »

So good. Haven't read anything by Delillo in a long time, almost forgot how brilliant his writing is.

Any suggestions for Delillo? I read Great Jones Street a couple years ago, and loved it, but haven't followed up with anything else. 

Bitter

• Rep: 105
« Reply #1480 on: October 09, 2012, 08:13:20 AM »

I wasn't completely happy with the ending, but really enjoyed the overall concept. It's basically Cabin In The Woods set in a corporate office.

Such a great recommendation!  I needed a book like this.  Highly entertaining, witty, and fun.  Thanks a mil!

I've read Jennifer Government. Also really entertaining and smart. If you liked Company, you'd be into it. It's about corporations and advertising in the near future. Nike hiring contract killers to murder people that buy Nike's new shoe, so as to help with Nike's street cred.

steve

• Rep: 45
« Reply #1481 on: October 09, 2012, 02:06:25 PM »
Man, I'm eating lunch at work today, quinoa, basmati rice, and blackbeans, drinking some water and reading/editing a short story that a friend wrote, when a coworker says "you ever read that book by Tucker Max? It's the greatest book I've ever read." Since I just started working here 9 days ago, and due to the nature of the job depend on my coworkers to help me out as a team, I said "yeah. pretty funny." and went back to work. Really though, what the fuck? I can't stand this crap. I haven't been around people who don't think in a long time and don't like it.

cringe.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 413
« Reply #1482 on: October 09, 2012, 04:44:52 PM »

I really enjoyed Nostromo. It's doesn't really resemble Heart of Darkness that much, but if you're psyched on Conrad you should definitely check it out.
The Secret Agent i read recently and it was pretty dope, altho not as good as H of D, gonna read Lord Jim soon too which is supposed to be really cool

HairyCunt

• Rep: -347
« Reply #1483 on: October 09, 2012, 05:17:59 PM »

I've read Jennifer Government. Also really entertaining and smart. If you liked Company, you'd be into it. It's about corporations and advertising in the near future. Nike hiring contract killers to murder people that buy Nike's new shoe, so as to help with Nike's street cred.

That sounds so stupid. Everyone is wearing British Knights right?

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -27
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #1484 on: October 11, 2012, 11:47:18 AM »

Any suggestions for Delillo? I read Great Jones Street a couple years ago, and loved it, but haven't followed up with anything else. 

White Noise is a must read.  very funny, clever book
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

Alan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 123
« Reply #1485 on: October 11, 2012, 03:58:23 PM »
Love Evelyn Waugh! Vile Bodies is a great book but the Sword of Honour trilogy is even better. It's about his ww2 service (actually it's fiction but semi-autobigraphical)...
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 04:00:42 PM by Alan »
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

cringe.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1486 on: October 11, 2012, 05:05:01 PM »
yeah man vile bodies was damn awesome... kinda like a great gastsby set in London without the indulgence and glamourisation.. much more critical, darkly comic and sad. such great dialogue, definitely one of the best things about this book.. that and there being a character called fanny throbbing. will check that out tnx

thepman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -102
« Reply #1487 on: October 12, 2012, 03:50:47 PM »
skating is all about choosing your outfit very deliberately, going out in public. looking super sick. and then riding your board a little bit

Jackie Joyner Kersee

• Rep: 13
« Reply #1488 on: October 13, 2012, 01:15:21 AM »
any recommendations on the order for reading murakami's books?

also reread the beach by alex garland which may be my favorite book, go get it from yo local library

kilgore.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1489 on: October 25, 2012, 11:06:54 PM »

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com
« Reply #1490 on: October 25, 2012, 11:29:25 PM »
finished murakamis after dark ... not as good as kafka on the shore, but still a nice read.

started to read dietrich schwanitz book about eduction. well, it's more an encyclopedia about the most important things you need to know about history, religion, culture, philosophy, writing and whatnot. kind of the the things that you missed in school because it bored the hell out of you when you were 15 and greek history had nothing in common with keenans switchstance crooks. this is going to be something that I'll have to read a couple of times in my life I guess (over 600 pages full of informations).

BRIX SKWIKZ

cringe.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1492 on: November 08, 2012, 05:10:14 PM »

yeh i read that last week too, really enjoyed it actually. kinda weird the whole simultaneously non-fiction/literary thing it has going on, makes it harder to read critically, - and the overtly politicised bits toward the end i found a lil bit compromising - but still a rly awesome endeavour and very earnest.... can see elements of beat/bukowski pre cursoring in it too

awesum

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
« Reply #1493 on: November 08, 2012, 05:21:55 PM »
I've always loved Twain but hadn't read any of his stuff in years and almost forgot how clever and funny he is.

kilgore.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1494 on: November 08, 2012, 08:53:59 PM »

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 198
« Reply #1495 on: November 08, 2012, 09:18:15 PM »

Borrowed this from my uncle and took a break from more serious books. It was a super fun and quick read. I finished it in like 4 days. If you like Anthony Bourdain, I would definitely recommend picking it up.

The Human Condom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
  • Free condoms! Free condoms from The Human Condom.
    • : /skeɪt/
« Reply #1496 on: November 08, 2012, 09:20:05 PM »

Such a great recommendation!  I needed a book like this.  Highly entertaining, witty, and fun.  Thanks a mil!

I just read Syrup andJennifer Government.  I still like Company the best. 
Did you end up reading Syrup?  I feel like the exact scenario he wrote about in it just happened when the movie "The Watch" was made if you substitute Coke-a-Cola with Costco.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 09:22:47 PM by The Human Condom »

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -4
« Reply #1497 on: November 08, 2012, 09:43:45 PM »

Borrowed this from my uncle and took a break from more serious books. It was a super fun and quick read. I finished it in like 4 days. If you like Anthony Bourdain, I would definitely recommend picking it up.
Check out Medium Raw.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of retarded kids and a van full of paraplegics.

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 630
« Reply #1498 on: November 09, 2012, 07:53:34 AM »

just picked this up, look forward to having time to read it.

thepman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -102
« Reply #1499 on: November 09, 2012, 09:19:00 AM »

yeh i read that last week too, really enjoyed it actually. kinda weird the whole simultaneously non-fiction/literary thing it has going on, makes it harder to read critically, - and the overtly politicised bits toward the end i found a lil bit compromising - but still a rly awesome endeavour and very earnest.... can see elements of beat/bukowski pre cursoring in it too

awesum

I totally agree, Orwell was pretty young at the time though so his political views are a little more raw than his later books. I'm in the middle of reading The Road to Wigan Pier at the moment.
skating is all about choosing your outfit very deliberately, going out in public. looking super sick. and then riding your board a little bit