Author Topic: books to read  (Read 248151 times)

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 197
Re: books to read
« Reply #1590 on: January 31, 2013, 06:46:17 PM »
Catching up on the Slap book club and on my last chapter of The Crying of Lot 49.  Definitely a lot quicker and easier than Gravity's Rainbow.

Ollie Ringwald

• Rep: -3
« Reply #1591 on: January 31, 2013, 07:31:29 PM »
I'm about a quarter of the way through Infinite Jest, so far I think it is just ok.

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -22
« Reply #1592 on: January 31, 2013, 11:59:19 PM »

Half-way through this tome. It's the 5th or 6th murakami book i've read in the last year. super dank metaphysical scifi shit.

Thrillho

• Rep: 107
« Reply #1593 on: February 01, 2013, 01:01:16 AM »

I read this when I was 15, and stopped talking to people at school for about a year.

crackrazor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #1594 on: February 01, 2013, 05:42:14 AM »
Anyone read this?

HATE!

• Administrator
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1159
« Reply #1595 on: February 01, 2013, 05:56:24 AM »
Just finished this:

And it was fucking amazing.  Literally one of the most disturbing and dark books I have ever read.  It resonated with me like a parasite infecting a human host.  I still can't stop thinking about it.  It was dark, witty, and interesting all at once.  Fucking phenomenal.  Also, the author, Gillian Flynn, is pretty fucking hot.  Which makes it even more interesting.  I don't know why, it just does.  Read it and you will udnerstand.  If you like dark literature, then I recommend you read this.   ;D

I read that a couple years ago and read her other one, Dark Places as well.  She's a good author and knows her way around a thriller/mystery, but I just don't get the people going overboard on them being extremely dark and disturbing.  Those are some pretty weighted terms and, quite frankly, they don't belong attached to her work.  They're dark and they have some pretty fucked up characters and there are some cool twists, but they still read like light summer reading to me.  Don't get me wrong, I dug 'em, and I'll read Gone Girl after my wife is done with it with her book club, but they're still pretty tame.  If anything, I am more into HOW she writes.  She's very visual and she can bounce back and forth between time (the way she handles flashbacks in Dark Places is great).  I will say that she rachets up the tension expertly. 

If you're into dark and disturbing, like shit that will start invading how you think, give American Psycho or Exquisite Corpse a try.  Those are legitimately both.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 155
  • definitely.
« Reply #1596 on: February 01, 2013, 06:09:27 AM »

Half-way through this tome. It's the 5th or 6th murakami book i've read in the last year. super dank metaphysical scifi shit.

I just read Kafka on the Shore.  I thought it was pretty good.  A little longer than it it needed to be maybe and I'm a little confused about the deeper meaning of the book.  I know it was basically just a retelling of Oedipus like 1Q84 is to 1984.   I'm not sure which Murakami I'd try next.  Norweigan Wood or The Wind-up Bird Chronicle probably.

Merked

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -157
  • Strong Island Rippin, Guidos and Shit.
« Reply #1597 on: February 01, 2013, 07:00:08 AM »
Just finished this:

And it was fucking amazing.  Literally one of the most disturbing and dark books I have ever read.  It resonated with me like a parasite infecting a human host.  I still can't stop thinking about it.  It was dark, witty, and interesting all at once.  Fucking phenomenal.  Also, the author, Gillian Flynn, is pretty fucking hot.  Which makes it even more interesting.  I don't know why, it just does.  Read it and you will udnerstand.  If you like dark literature, then I recommend you read this.   ;D

I read that a couple years ago and read her other one, Dark Places as well.  She's a good author and knows her way around a thriller/mystery, but I just don't get the people going overboard on them being extremely dark and disturbing.  Those are some pretty weighted terms and, quite frankly, they don't belong attached to her work.  They're dark and they have some pretty fucked up characters and there are some cool twists, but they still read like light summer reading to me.  Don't get me wrong, I dug 'em, and I'll read Gone Girl after my wife is done with it with her book club, but they're still pretty tame.  If anything, I am more into HOW she writes.  She's very visual and she can bounce back and forth between time (the way she handles flashbacks in Dark Places is great).  I will say that she rachets up the tension expertly.  

If you're into dark and disturbing, like shit that will start invading how you think, give American Psycho or Exquisite Corpse a try.  Those are legitimately both.

I hear ya Hate.  The thing with Sharp Objects was it got under my skin for some reason.  I am waiting for her other two books to get into the Library.  Hyped to read them.  I tried to get exquisite corpse, but couldn't find it anywhere, which pissed me off.  I was never into American Psycho, but I may give it a shot.  

I just read Hell House, which was quite the good read.  And, I am currently reading House of Leaves, but they both arent really as intimidating as Sharp Objects.  I acutally consider House of Leaves to be a love novel rather than a horror.  Marketing I guess.  They are both amazing, but I was really looking for some sketchy, twisted literature because that is the only genre that I have really yet to explore.

If you have any recommendations please let me know via this thread or PM.   ;D
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 07:03:07 AM by Merked »

I suck at SLAP.

HATE!

• Administrator
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #1598 on: February 01, 2013, 10:03:07 AM »
Hell House, in my opinion, is the best haunted house story ever written.  Definitely check out anything by Richard Matheson as I Am Legend and Stir Of Echoes are both excellent.  Exquisite Corpse might be hard to track down.  Poppy Z. Brite basically takes the story of Jeffrey Dahmer, turns him into two people (one being a cannibal, the other a necrophile) and well....  that's all I should say.  Bret Easton Ellis can turn people off with his style, but he writes some gnarly shit.

It's been mentioned a million times in this thread, but anything by Cormac McCarthy is excellent. Blood Meridian being my, and many others', favorite.  The violence and misanthropy combined with what I would imagine is a pretty accurate depiction of life in the mid 19th century is pretty excellent.

I'll think about it, I'm sure I can track down some other books that can creep under skin and stay with you for awhile.

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
« Reply #1599 on: February 01, 2013, 10:38:47 AM »
Hell House, in my opinion, is the best haunted house story ever written.  Definitely check out anything by Richard Matheson as I Am Legend and Stir Of Echoes are both excellent.  Exquisite Corpse might be hard to track down.  Poppy Z. Brite basically takes the story of Jeffrey Dahmer, turns him into two people (one being a cannibal, the other a necrophile) and well....  that's all I should say.  Bret Easton Ellis can turn people off with his style, but he writes some gnarly shit.

It's been mentioned a million times in this thread, but anything by Cormac McCarthy is excellent. Blood Meridian being my, and many others', favorite.  The violence and misanthropy combined with what I would imagine is a pretty accurate depiction of life in the mid 19th century is pretty excellent.

I'll think about it, I'm sure I can track down some other books that can creep under skin and stay with you for awhile.

I read that never having seen the movie, and never really reading much horror, but I was pretty blown away by it. The ending's great. I'll have to check out Stir of Echoes.

Merked

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1600 on: February 01, 2013, 10:55:04 AM »

For real man, before I read Hell House, I was like "Pshhh, haunted house... This is going to be weak."  Then I was blown away.  It is by far the best haunting novel I have ever read.  Thanks for the recommendations though.  Imma check out more Matheson and Blood Meridan.  Also, is that I am Legend the same as the Will Smith movie?  Let me rephrase that; was the movie based off Matheson's novel?

I suck at SLAP.

HATE!

• Administrator
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #1601 on: February 01, 2013, 11:26:56 AM »
I Am Legend has actually been a movie three times now.  It was The Last Man On Earth, The Omega Man and I Am Legend (the Will Smith one.  None of them portray the book correctly.  After Bram Stoker's Dracula, it's the only vampire novel worth reading, in my opinion.  It's a very realistic approach, right down to explaining vampirism and the dude reacts the way a lot of smart survivors would.

Stir of Echoes is a really fresh take on ghosts as well, and it was made into a pretty decent movie as well with Kevin Bacon.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1602 on: February 01, 2013, 12:08:06 PM »
House of Leaves is more unsettling than horrorific.  I think that was just the only term they could use to describe it's content, although I don't think that Danielewski has ever described it as a horror story and definitely does not shy away from it having a focus on love.  Although it's not a romance love story, but rather a love story where people's lives are falling apart.  I'm not sure how far you are into it, but once you start getting into the really odd layouts, it does become darker and creepier.  I really liked it.  I've never really had a book that the action of reading it so expertly mirrored how the author describes reading it should be, if you know what I mean.

For dark stuff, read Bataille's fiction.  You think that it's really only gross at first but it sits with you for a while and you're not sure why it's dark and unsettling.  At least that's how it is for me.

HATE!

• Administrator
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #1603 on: February 01, 2013, 12:53:15 PM »
House of Leaves is more unsettling than horrorific.  I think that was just the only term they could use to describe it's content, although I don't think that Danielewski has ever described it as a horror story and definitely does not shy away from it having a focus on love.  Although it's not a romance love story, but rather a love story where people's lives are falling apart.  I'm not sure how far you are into it, but once you start getting into the really odd layouts, it does become darker and creepier.  I really liked it.  I've never really had a book that the action of reading it so expertly mirrored how the author describes reading it should be, if you know what I mean.

For dark stuff, read Bataille's fiction.  You think that it's really only gross at first but it sits with you for a while and you're not sure why it's dark and unsettling.  At least that's how it is for me.

Georges Bataille's shit is pretty gnarly, but it gets excessively repetitive.  I just reread Story of the Eye and thought it was really boring.

Merked

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1604 on: February 01, 2013, 01:00:45 PM »
@ Hate, I didn't know that about I am Legend.  I liked the Will Smith version because Will Smith is a baus, but I thought it could have been better/scarier/more intimidating.  I am definately going to read the novel.  I'll check out Stir of Echoes, but I don't think I'll get into the vampire one.  Never was really into vampire shit.  The film the Lost Boys was the only vampire shit I ever fucked with.

@oyolar, I completely agree with everything you said.  I am almost done with House of Leaves and it continues to get better and better.  I like how the novel's visualizations (I guess you could say) complement the stories.  It is really interesting and I have never really read a novel like it.  Sometimes the footnotes get a bit tedious, but I like that too.  It is weird.  I just googled Bataille's fiction and found very little.  I guess I am bad with the internets.  I found one called Story of the Eye.  Is this in the right direction?  Do you have any recommendations?

I suck at SLAP.

HATE!

• Administrator
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #1605 on: February 01, 2013, 01:05:50 PM »
You're getting it backward-  Legend is about vampires, Echoes is about ghosts... or A ghost.

Story of the Eye is Bataille's book I just mentioned.  It's not that it's bad, and in terms of sex shit, it's really wild, but it never lets you breathe and the story telling is sorta weak.  It just bounces from one fucked up sex act to the next.  It's like as it goes, it just keeps saying, "You thought that was fucked up?  Check out THIS."  It IS fucked up, but it's just way, way overdone with little else going on so the impact is lessened.

Merked

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1606 on: February 01, 2013, 01:38:51 PM »
You're getting it backward-  Legend is about vampires, Echoes is about ghosts... or A ghost.

Story of the Eye is Bataille's book I just mentioned.  It's not that it's bad, and in terms of sex shit, it's really wild, but it never lets you breathe and the story telling is sorta weak.  It just bounces from one fucked up sex act to the next.  It's like as it goes, it just keeps saying, "You thought that was fucked up?  Check out THIS."  It IS fucked up, but it's just way, way overdone with little else going on so the impact is lessened.

I was talking about Dracula when in my previous post.  And, I didn't know I am Legend was vampires, thought it was like zombie type things...  Interesting.  And I am going to check out Story of the Eye regardless though because now I am intruiged.  
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 01:41:06 PM by Merked »

I suck at SLAP.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1607 on: February 01, 2013, 01:56:19 PM »
You probably found all of his fiction stuff. He was not a very prolific fiction writer. If I remember correctly, his fiction pieces are : Story if the Eye, Blue of Noon, The Impossible, Madame Edwarda, The Dead Man, and My Mother. But all of those are really short. Story of the Eye, like HATE! said, is rather repetitive and fairly weak. It makes sense in terms of Bataille's psychological/philosophical obsessions, but standing on its own, it does not fair well. His other works, except maybe My Mother and possibly The Dead Man, don't focus as much as fucked up sex scenes (although they are there) to my knowledge of skimming them, reading few of them and in-depth summaries and criticisms of them. I suggested them more so because for me, Batille will write these short scenes or chapters or even a sentence that I'll understand at the time and will continue to stick in my head and haunt me for hours later.

As for HoL, that's what I like so much about the book and Danielewski in general. His weird formats and visualizations are not an ad hoc gimmick to sell his books. They actually enhance the stories. I've read all of his stuff so far and if you're interested, I'd say read The Fifty Year Sword next. It's a really short modern ghost story that you can get through in an hour or two. I actually went to a reading by him of the entire book back in October and it was awesome. His second novel Only Revolutions is good in its own right, but very different from HoL and strange to get into. He's working on a 27 volume third book right now tht I'm excited for tht starts coming out later this year or next year. I think he's planning on shorter volumes every two or three months. He's said that HoL was meant to tackle cinema, T50YS was oral ghost stories, OR was music, and this new one is tackling TV series. He's an odd fellow.

Sorry for the lack of italics. I'm on my phone.

steve

• Rep: 45
« Reply #1608 on: February 01, 2013, 04:19:36 PM »
Freedom-Jonathan Franzen

Wow. This is a great novel with so much going on and very enjoyable readability. Blowing through it, writing things down, and thinking.

Merked

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1609 on: February 02, 2013, 07:57:34 AM »
You probably found all of his fiction stuff. He was not a very prolific fiction writer. If I remember correctly, his fiction pieces are : Story if the Eye, Blue of Noon, The Impossible, Madame Edwarda, The Dead Man, and My Mother. But all of those are really short. Story of the Eye, like HATE! said, is rather repetitive and fairly weak. It makes sense in terms of Bataille's psychological/philosophical obsessions, but standing on its own, it does not fair well. His other works, except maybe My Mother and possibly The Dead Man, don't focus as much as fucked up sex scenes (although they are there) to my knowledge of skimming them, reading few of them and in-depth summaries and criticisms of them. I suggested them more so because for me, Batille will write these short scenes or chapters or even a sentence that I'll understand at the time and will continue to stick in my head and haunt me for hours later.

As for HoL, that's what I like so much about the book and Danielewski in general. His weird formats and visualizations are not an ad hoc gimmick to sell his books. They actually enhance the stories. I've read all of his stuff so far and if you're interested, I'd say read The Fifty Year Sword next. It's a really short modern ghost story that you can get through in an hour or two. I actually went to a reading by him of the entire book back in October and it was awesome. His second novel Only Revolutions is good in its own right, but very different from HoL and strange to get into. He's working on a 27 volume third book right now tht I'm excited for tht starts coming out later this year or next year. I think he's planning on shorter volumes every two or three months. He's said that HoL was meant to tackle cinema, T50YS was oral ghost stories, OR was music, and this new one is tackling TV series. He's an odd fellow.

Sorry for the lack of italics. I'm on my phone.

Dude!  Thanks for all the recommendations.  I have Only Revolutions on order at my library.  Hyped to see what that one is like.  Hear it didn't fair as well in the reviews as HoL, but I'm still excited. I am going to check out Bataille's stuff as well, seems interesting.  Sketchy sex scenes always creep on me.  I like it.  Thanks again!

I suck at SLAP.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1610 on: February 06, 2013, 09:50:40 AM »
Finished up The Crying of Lot 49, so I'll have to go through the thread we had for it and watch the lecture that was posted in there.  I've started The History of Bestiality trilogy by Jens Bjoerneboe with Moment of Freedom.  One of the bands I like have had songs on their last three albums, each inspired by a book in the trilogy.

I really like the cover art for all of the books.

ericw

« Reply #1611 on: February 06, 2013, 04:43:01 PM »
Kind of a stretch, but has anyone here thought about writing a book, or has already written one?

HATE!

• Administrator
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #1612 on: February 06, 2013, 05:15:54 PM »
Kind of a stretch, but has anyone here thought about writing a book, or has already written one?

Not writing a book per se, but I gave a pretty serious attempt at sitting down and compiling a bunch of things that happened while I was deployed to Iraq.  The basis was going to be the fucked up conversations we would have in the truck while we were out in the city.  It was really fucking hard to do.  Editing, making sure shit is concise yet detailed and finding a good structure and rhythm is really, really tricky. I haven't given up on the idea of writing, but I think that topic might not see the light of day.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1613 on: February 06, 2013, 05:17:47 PM »
I have some sections written for a novel and an outline for a separate book too. Those are my most complete ideas. I have a few manuscripts started, but I haven't been able to come up with enough fully-formed ideas for them. I would love to be an author but it's surprisingly intimidating.

A.J.K.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #1614 on: February 06, 2013, 05:28:57 PM »

Picked this up recently, only about 15 pages in.  Whoa.

sven thorkel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
« Reply #1615 on: February 06, 2013, 05:33:24 PM »

yah, i wrote a novel about a year and a half ago. 80,000 words and nothing came out of it. i expected that though, it was something to do while i was unemployed, really 
"Front row tickets to a bomb ass play"

Quote from: PonyFAP
I don't know where you get your facts. The first generation of My Little Ponies were made by Hasbro, not the Khmer Rouge. And Hasbro hasn't made toys out of human skulls since the 1960's.

Tom Penny says: My 'ed systems!

kilgore.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
« Reply #1616 on: February 06, 2013, 05:35:10 PM »
been rifling off a bunch of harry crews lately

this cover made me feel very uncomfortable at time. very awkward to flash in public

reading this now, postponed it for too long
No holds barred, til labias say "free us"
then its straight to your kids' school, wine coolers in the Prius

Ollie Ringwald

« Reply #1617 on: February 06, 2013, 09:34:31 PM »
been rifling off a bunch of harry crews lately

this cover made me feel very uncomfortable at time. very awkward to flash in public

Another one of the advantages of a kindle/generic e-reading device.

The main one being not paying shit for books.

kilgore.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
« Reply #1618 on: February 06, 2013, 09:36:19 PM »
fuck all that.
No holds barred, til labias say "free us"
then its straight to your kids' school, wine coolers in the Prius

Ollie Ringwald

« Reply #1619 on: February 07, 2013, 04:45:25 AM »