Author Topic: books to read  (Read 431307 times)

GeorgeHanson

Re: books to read
« Reply #1710 on: May 15, 2013, 03:07:48 PM »
A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole. Its fucking hilarious. I look at it kind of like a modern Candide by Voltaire.

Also Nice Shooting Cowboy by Anson Cameron. A compile of short, fairly twisted stories. Its good.

And anything by Roald Dahl but mainly Skin and Other stories, Going Solo and Boy. All fucking brilliant.

Also, Hells Angels by Hunter S. Fucking great.

Chinaskis underpants

« Reply #1711 on: May 15, 2013, 04:43:06 PM »
Expand Quote
The only stuff of Murakami I've touched is Kafka on the Shore. It didn't click, the strangeness within it just came off as contrived.

I don't know if it makes any sense to compare the two, but I feel 'Everything is Illuminated' by Safran-Foer came off much better. Both being contemporary writers, and dealing with plots stuck in the present, historical and fantastical.

And I think The Master and Margherita kicks the shit out of both.
[close]

I completely disagree. I've got to give it another go, but I felt that the novel, Everything is Illuminated, was too pretentious. Why, I'm not sure, it's been years. The film, however, is great. But as far as Murakami being too contrived, I think he digs into the possibility of dreamscape like no other. He's got a beautiful imagination and is comfortable with his intellect to not come off as a dick.

I'm now reading The Wind Up Bird Chronicle and continue to shit my pants in pleasure.

I guess I was basing my preference on something different, I thought the balance of humour and heavyness in "Everything..." was done particularly well, where 'Kafka..." doesn't focus so much on humour, and just seems more steeped in the strange.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1712 on: May 15, 2013, 05:40:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The only stuff of Murakami I've touched is Kafka on the Shore. It didn't click, the strangeness within it just came off as contrived.

I don't know if it makes any sense to compare the two, but I feel 'Everything is Illuminated' by Safran-Foer came off much better. Both being contemporary writers, and dealing with plots stuck in the present, historical and fantastical.

And I think The Master and Margherita kicks the shit out of both.
[close]

I completely disagree. I've got to give it another go, but I felt that the novel, Everything is Illuminated, was too pretentious. Why, I'm not sure, it's been years. The film, however, is great. But as far as Murakami being too contrived, I think he digs into the possibility of dreamscape like no other. He's got a beautiful imagination and is comfortable with his intellect to not come off as a dick.

I'm now reading The Wind Up Bird Chronicle and continue to shit my pants in pleasure.
[close]

I guess I was basing my preference on something different, I thought the balance of humour and heavyness in "Everything..." was done particularly well, where 'Kafka..." doesn't focus so much on humour, and just seems more steeped in the strange.
I always try to steer new Murakami readers to Hard Boiled Wonderland.  I might just have to reread it after this conversation.

A.J.K.

« Reply #1713 on: May 15, 2013, 09:58:48 PM »
I've read 1Q84, A Wild Sheep Chase, After Dark, and Norwegian Wood (which admittedly is pretty tame compared to the rest of his stuff), over the past couple months and Murakami pulls of his brand of strange effortlessly.  I have never once thought his dreamy, metaphysical worlds seemed contrived or bizarre solely for the sake of being bizarre. 

toque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
    • Portmanteau avatar image
« Reply #1714 on: May 15, 2013, 11:30:23 PM »
Lots of stuff posted in the last page or two that I want to check out.  Thanks guys.  I'll have to get a piece of paper and a pen,  write stuff down,  and head to the bookstore tomorrow.  I think I've already mentioned it in this thread but Dance Dance Dance is my favorite Murakami by far.  I'd recommend it for somebody looking to try out his stuff.  Not quite as big of a commitment as The Windup Bird Chronicles or Kafka on The Shore. Summer is right around the corner and I just realized with my open schedule I'll have a ton of time to catch up on leisure reading.  Maybe I'll pick up that Ficciones   

wheee!

Kinch

• Rep: 10
« Reply #1715 on: May 16, 2013, 01:43:46 AM »
the characters are are always, in some way, grounded in the present, of the story that is, but while making a grocery list or biking to the cleaner, might move through states that feel like lucid dreams. Both the reader and protagonist (not always the other characters) are well aware of the bizarre turn of events, but it's safe to say that Murakami crafts these imaginary places so well, that it's a completely surreptitious slide into home, whether in the kitchen of a man who murders cats to steal their souls, watching oneself get raped from a safe physical distance while trapped in a ferris wheel, or just plain dreaming of meeting a 100% perfect mate. It's not just these seemingly strange turns that make the stories great, they're all fairly easy to read while also offering points of thought; Kafka on the Shore isn't named such as a literary cliche. I feel safe saying that his characters aren't so hard to relate to, to empathize with.

Give them a shot!

Thanks for that. He's been bumped up a fair few places in the reading queue for sure.

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Rep: -8
« Reply #1716 on: May 16, 2013, 02:53:39 AM »
Currently reading my first french book in ages:

Surprisingly, it's been a fairly easy read so far. I appreciate that the whole piece is an allegory of the Nazi era.

Next up is Capote's "In Cold Blood" for some class at school. From everything I've heard so far, it should be a good read. I'm really looking forward to it.

After that, I'll be reading the following book which sounds really fucking interesting. It's an account of that family who subverted the Nazi regime in its everyday routine.

As one can tell, I'm really interested in fiction which deals with the Nazi era in Germany.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 02:57:22 AM by AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice »

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 379
« Reply #1717 on: May 16, 2013, 05:22:13 AM »
Just finished The Violent Bear It Away last night.. I'm bringing Gary Alan Fine's Difficult Reputations and Nabokov's The Tragedy of Mister Morn on my NYC trip. The Nabokov is the first translation of an early play he wrote. I hope it's good-I remember hearing he wasn't a great playwright. His style just doesn't lend itself to plays. Hopefully, I'll be able to finish it on my trip since its pretty short and then I'm going to supplement my Flannery O'Connor novel with a biography on her.

Merked

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -157
« Reply #1718 on: May 17, 2013, 01:20:28 PM »
Read this:

Really enjoyed it.  Follows the relationship of two college friends.  I don't want to give too much away, but I thought it was quite good.  Easy read, yet captivating.  Couldn't put it down.
I suck at SLAP.

MoeMoney

• Rep: -2
« Reply #1719 on: May 22, 2013, 05:12:18 PM »
I think i bit off more than i can chew...

Ripped Laces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 9
  • Dude, this is america. There are idiots everywhere
    • Ripped Laces = Shoe reviews, product reviews & more avatar image
« Reply #1720 on: June 10, 2013, 05:36:28 AM »
I just read the preface of this book in a Barnes & Noble and nearly walked out with it.
Gonna pick it up eventually but I figured I throw it in here for anyone looking for a good read.

Long story short, it's a "from Rags to Riches" story about a man who went from working at the fruit docks to basically taking over the fruit industry. There are stories about how he could change the course of the economic status in central america with a single phone call. I'm compelled by the story & will be picking it up shortly.

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #1721 on: June 10, 2013, 09:08:50 AM »
Anybody ever read John O'Hara? I read a story about him in the newspaper a month or so ago talking about how in the '30s he was as big as Steinbeck and has become underrated since. Bought a book of his short stories I haven't yet got around to, then was reading Armies of the Night by Mailer and stumbled across this: "...were enough to enable a man to become a good working amateur philosopher, an indispensable vocation for the ambitious novelist since otherwise he is naught but an embittered entertainer, a storyteller, a John O'Hara!" Ouch.

foureyedjim

« Reply #1722 on: June 15, 2013, 09:00:23 PM »
Was never really into reading but I dunno if I can handle the heat this summer, so I'll be reading a lot more.

halfway through this:

Picked these two up:

I read post office a looooong time ago and loved it, but never found the time to read bukowski's other stuff.  

edit:  I enjoy books with humor in it, but overall melancholy (sorta like post office).  Any good recommendations?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 09:27:58 PM by foureyedjim »

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1723 on: June 16, 2013, 09:49:01 AM »
A lot of Vonnegut's work is like that.  Mother Night, Breakfast of Champions, Jailbird, Cat's Cradle, Bluebeard, etc.  

I can't get into that Fine book, so I'm starting on A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again by DFW.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
« Reply #1724 on: June 16, 2013, 11:05:30 AM »
Just finished Eaters Of The Dead by Michael Crichton.  It was pretty good but written a little dry for such a tale.  The preface tells you it will be, though, so whatever.

I gave up early on Moby Dick last summer but I started it again and I'm liking it more.

themoustache

• Rep: 26
« Reply #1725 on: June 16, 2013, 05:05:09 PM »
im nearly done with this, and have basically read the first half twice because the original copy i bought was bound with around 35 pages missing.  a very approachable, straight forward, and honest discussion of science and religion, and its impact upon culture, philosophy, and society.  sagan was the man, and his ability to zoom out and show a bigger picture is truly a trait that could benefit us all.  check it out.

foureyedjim

« Reply #1726 on: June 16, 2013, 05:21:28 PM »
A lot of Vonnegut's work is like that.  Mother Night, Breakfast of Champions, Jailbird, Cat's Cradle, Bluebeard, etc.  

I can't get into that Fine book, so I'm starting on A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again by DFW.

Yeah I really like Vonneguts stuff too.  Anything that's more bounded in reality?  I'm loving kafka on the shore, but I might need a break from all the metaphysical stuff.

Laban Fetus

« Reply #1727 on: June 16, 2013, 05:37:08 PM »
My dad put me on to this guy. Excellent writer who's able to make completely mundane things like smoking a cigarette and staring at a wall seem beautiful. A lot of his work doesn't have a concrete ending or beginning so if your looking for an action packed thriller this isn't your best bet. It is, however, easy to read and digest but full of depth.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 05:39:21 PM by Laban Fetus »

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1728 on: June 16, 2013, 07:45:30 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah I really like Vonneguts stuff too.  Anything that's more bounded in reality?  I'm loving kafka on the shore, but I might need a break from all the metaphysical stuff.

A lot of Vonnegut's middle stuff is bounded in reality (not sure how much you've read of his).  I haven't read his novels, but apparently David Foster Wallace's longer novels have a lot of black humor in them, as do Kafka (fittingly enough). 

Greg Road

« Reply #1729 on: June 16, 2013, 08:41:01 PM »
reading Duff McKagan's G'N'R bio - so far Slash's was better, but still a good read

DeputyDoses

• Rep: 4
  • I look like Mel Gibson
« Reply #1730 on: June 16, 2013, 10:24:40 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You might like his short stories. There are a few collections of them at bookstores (or online) for relatively decent prices.

foureyedjim

« Reply #1731 on: June 17, 2013, 12:46:25 AM »
ok thanks guys, will look into it

Kinch

• Rep: 10
« Reply #1732 on: June 17, 2013, 03:03:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

A lot of Vonnegut's middle stuff is bounded in reality (not sure how much you've read of his).  I haven't read his novels, but apparently David Foster Wallace's longer novels have a lot of black humor in them, as do Kafka (fittingly enough). 

One of the many things that makes The Trial an all time favorite for me.

stab

• Rep: -1
  • Jumping Beans is a cop
« Reply #1733 on: June 17, 2013, 08:35:02 AM »
I think i bit off more than i can chew...

Yep.  I did this a couple years ago and was bummed.  I put it down to read a bunch of his short fiction and essays which I really loved, don't know if I'll pick IJ back up any time soon.

On a related note, I just started this yesterday.

Also, to anyone that hasn't read In Cold Blood, go read In Cold Blood immediately.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 08:39:31 AM by stab »

I didn't come here to dream or teach the world things;
define paradigms or curate no living days

stab

• Rep: -1
  • Jumping Beans is a cop
« Reply #1734 on: June 17, 2013, 08:38:51 AM »

I think a lot of his writing's subtleties are lost in translation. 

I didn't come here to dream or teach the world things;
define paradigms or curate no living days

castillo's curls

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 70
« Reply #1735 on: June 17, 2013, 09:09:47 AM »
yes or no on this one? not sure if I should start it...

Harem

« Reply #1736 on: June 17, 2013, 10:09:26 AM »
Just started this in an attempt to workout my horrible memory problems. In turn, I ended up reading a great story and getting tips in the process. I know I'm probably making it sound like more of a self help book than it actually is but it's a good read. A little slow at first but after the first two chapters, it starts to pick up. Plus, the stories he references in order to explain how to unlock the true potential of memorizing are insanely interesting.

"Moonwalking with Einstein follows Joshua Foer's compelling journey as a participant in the U.S. Memory Championship. As a science journalist covering the competition, Foer became captivated by the secrets of the competitors, like how the current world memory champion, Ben Pridmore, could memorize the exact order of 1,528 digits in an hour. He met with individuals whose memories are truly unique?from one man whose memory only extends back to his most recent thought, to another who can memorize complex mathematical formulas without knowing any math. Brains remember visual imagery but have a harder time with other information, like lists, and so with the help of experts, Foer learned how to transform the kinds of memories he forgot into the kind his brain remembered naturally. The techniques he mastered made it easier to remember information, and Foer's story demonstrates that the tricks of the masters are accessible to anyone."

Thanks for posting this. Got my copy in the mail today, can't wait to get into it.

Merked

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -157
« Reply #1737 on: June 17, 2013, 11:11:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Just started this in an attempt to workout my horrible memory problems. In turn, I ended up reading a great story and getting tips in the process. I know I'm probably making it sound like more of a self help book than it actually is but it's a good read. A little slow at first but after the first two chapters, it starts to pick up. Plus, the stories he references in order to explain how to unlock the true potential of memorizing are insanely interesting.

"Moonwalking with Einstein follows Joshua Foer's compelling journey as a participant in the U.S. Memory Championship. As a science journalist covering the competition, Foer became captivated by the secrets of the competitors, like how the current world memory champion, Ben Pridmore, could memorize the exact order of 1,528 digits in an hour. He met with individuals whose memories are truly unique?from one man whose memory only extends back to his most recent thought, to another who can memorize complex mathematical formulas without knowing any math. Brains remember visual imagery but have a harder time with other information, like lists, and so with the help of experts, Foer learned how to transform the kinds of memories he forgot into the kind his brain remembered naturally. The techniques he mastered made it easier to remember information, and Foer's story demonstrates that the tricks of the masters are accessible to anyone."
[close]

Thanks for posting this. Got my copy in the mail today, can't wait to get into it.

^^ Started in on this today as well and so far it is really interesting.  Our memory is so expansive and so underappreciated because we take it for granted.  Can't wait to read more.  Thanks for recommending! 

I am also reading this:

It is great for when you want something mellow and funny to read.  Have been laughing out loud on several occasions.  Girl is pretty good.
I suck at SLAP.

Hairy Ballsagna

• Rep: 32
« Reply #1738 on: June 17, 2013, 11:28:43 AM »

This blows my mind approximately every five pages. One of the basic ideas is that the fabled barter land that every economics text book talks about never really existed. The part I've read so far mostly explores the systems of exchange that primitive people used.

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #1739 on: June 25, 2013, 08:29:51 AM »

I consider myself a pretty big Neal Stephenson fan. I wonder if he's working on another work of fiction. Hopefully something thick and dense.

Not gonna lie, I've never read an Irvine Welsh book before. Yes, I've seen Trainspotting a dozen times but have never read any of the books. Going to do this sequentially depending on how I like this. Skagboys -> Trainspotting -> Porno