Author Topic: books to read  (Read 247241 times)

Greg Road

Re: books to read
« Reply #1800 on: July 06, 2013, 08:31:22 PM »
The audio book is actually really good for World War Z - featuring a few celebrities reading the different stories. Henry Rollins being one.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 198
« Reply #1801 on: July 07, 2013, 09:03:29 PM »

I like this cover a lot better than the one I have.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1802 on: July 13, 2013, 09:19:13 PM »
I've been reading Bataille's essay "The Psychological Structure of Fascism" to elucidate Blue of Noon some, but it is a very difficult piece.  I've also been working on Consider the Lobster by David Foster Wallace.  It's going really quickly.  I'm trying to figure out what to read after.  Either the new collection of Vonnegut's novellas, Calvino's If on a winter's night a traveler, or Taussig's Defacement.  I haven't read a lot of theory lately, so I feel bad about that.

few123456789

• Rep: -87
« Reply #1803 on: July 13, 2013, 10:33:22 PM »
I could recommend a lot of books but apparently the Slap forum only reads hipster and artsy books.  You guys are trying way too hard.

Chris Hansen is back

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 697
« Reply #1804 on: July 13, 2013, 10:39:06 PM »
Yeah, hit us with some Tucker Max, you fucking dickhead.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1805 on: July 13, 2013, 10:56:53 PM »
I could recommend a lot of books but apparently the Slap forum only reads hipster and artsy books.  You guys are trying way too hard.

It's cool man.  We all have to start somewhere and you could do worse than Dr. Seuss.

few123456789

• Rep: -87
« Reply #1806 on: July 14, 2013, 12:14:42 AM »

It's cool man.  We all have to start somewhere and you could do worse than Dr. Seuss.
Good point.  I never went to college and I don't go into hipster book stores. 

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #1807 on: July 14, 2013, 02:08:12 AM »
You always brag about what a big man you are on here, but this disdain for "hipster and artsy books" reeks of someone who is insecure about their intellect. What should we be reading instead? Self-help books? Technical manuals? Warren Buffet autobiographies. Ayn Rand has already been mentioned before so don't bother.

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
« Reply #1808 on: July 14, 2013, 08:31:39 AM »

Books are art. God forbid you read one thats not crap. You a James Patterson guy?

DeputyDoses

• Rep: 4
  • I look like Mel Gibson
« Reply #1809 on: July 14, 2013, 01:27:43 PM »

stab

• Rep: 0
  • Jumping Beans is a cop
« Reply #1810 on: July 15, 2013, 08:47:07 AM »

oh god

I didn't come here to dream or teach the world things;
define paradigms or curate no living days

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #1811 on: July 15, 2013, 04:11:34 PM »
world war z is sooooooo hipster that it got made into a major motion picture.

BRIX SKWIKZ

« Reply #1812 on: July 19, 2013, 07:29:16 PM »
YOU CANT WIN
AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF JACK BLACK

SOME JOE COLEMAN ART INSPIRED BY IT
http://pt.scribd.com/doc/41228576/Sangue-Ruim-Joe-Coleman-1
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 07:42:02 PM by BRIX SKWIKZ »

teh canadian suit

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 51
  • Always lurking.
« Reply #1813 on: July 19, 2013, 08:11:19 PM »
My dad put me on to this guy. Excellent writer who's able to make completely mundane things like smoking a cigarette and staring at a wall seem beautiful. A lot of his work doesn't have a concrete ending or beginning so if your looking for an action packed thriller this isn't your best bet. It is, however, easy to read and digest but full of depth.

Carver is the best. I really like pretty much all of his stories.

Also, as "artsy" and "hip" as it is I really liked James Franco's book "Palo Alto", typical stories about bad kids and shit but a decent read.

Currently reading A Heart is A Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers. Basically got it based on The Anniversary naming a song after this book.
Also just read No Country For Old Men by Cormac McCarthy, I really dig the way he writes.
p-shuvs and v-flips

shitsandwich

• Rep: -50
« Reply #1814 on: July 19, 2013, 08:14:46 PM »
I just picked up Nausea by Sarte, anyone else read it?

Mundungus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 50
  • ∆∆∆
« Reply #1815 on: July 20, 2013, 12:03:53 AM »

Mark Renton

• Rep: 26
« Reply #1816 on: July 20, 2013, 05:59:56 AM »
Finished reading Combray by Proust aaand what to say, I personally found it so boring.
I mean there's definitely some pages or paragraphs that had me like 'holy shit how can it be so good' but overall I couldnt get past the lack of relevant events of this book.
I'm about to start 'Un amour de Swann' and I really hope this is going to be more exciting!

HyperBeam

• Rep: -40
« Reply #1817 on: July 20, 2013, 01:07:49 PM »
Finished reading Combray by Proust aaand what to say, I personally found it so boring.
I mean there's definitely some pages or paragraphs that had me like 'holy shit how can it be so good' but overall I couldnt get past the lack of relevant events of this book.
I'm about to start 'Un amour de Swann' and I really hope this is going to be more exciting!

what do you mean by 'exciting'?

Mark Renton

« Reply #1818 on: July 20, 2013, 02:44:16 PM »

what do you mean by 'exciting'?

I mean with more stuff going on..Combray was pretty poor of significant events, so I found it pretty hard to keep myself focused on what I was reading, except some few pages once in a while..maybe it's just not my cup of tea who knows
Then again I lost a lot of english vocabulary since I finished high school so I don't always find the right terms to express stuff haha

HyperBeam

« Reply #1819 on: July 20, 2013, 05:22:03 PM »
It's definitely hard to keep attention, I agree. The sentences are long as hell and contain so many relative and subordinate clauses that it's hard to even remember what it's about once you reach the main verb. On top of that, the novel isn't really about much aside from fashionable society. It's not really very thrilling, if you know what I mean.

Mark Renton

« Reply #1820 on: July 21, 2013, 02:01:02 AM »
It's definitely hard to keep attention, I agree. The sentences are long as hell and contain so many relative and subordinate clauses that it's hard to even remember what it's about once you reach the main verb. On top of that, the novel isn't really about much aside from fashionable society. It's not really very thrilling, if you know what I mean.

Yes, exactly what I'm talking about!

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Rep: -21
« Reply #1821 on: July 21, 2013, 04:53:22 AM »

Yes. In my eyes it is completely overrated.

I've never been a huge fan of Sartre. Or Simone de Beauvoir for that matter. Camus is by far the most (read: the only) exciting writer of the "French Existentialists".

However, in all fairness, people have tried to imitate Sartre for so long that his style seems really bland, played out, unoriginal, and boring nowadays. He's like the modern hipster of the 1950/1960s.

Harem

« Reply #1822 on: July 21, 2013, 05:44:10 AM »
I've been kind of slow on reading this year. Needed a  few quick reads to get me going again

Knocked these off in a couple of hours -

& now on his new one, which I'm about 40 pages into

Really enjoying the sparsity of his writing. Tao will also be appearing at a writers festival here in August, stoked on that.

Also can someone who has read The Savage Detectives tell me if it's worth persisting with? I'm up to the 2nd section of the book now, and can't say I'm a huge fan polyphonic narrative.

Greg Ostertag

• Rep: 47
  • Trabajo sucio
« Reply #1823 on: July 21, 2013, 09:20:18 PM »

I've never been a huge fan of Sartre. Or Simone de Beauvoir for that matter. Camus is by far the most (read: the only) exciting writer of the "French Existentialists".

However, in all fairness, people have tried to imitate Sartre for so long that his style seems really bland, played out, unoriginal, and boring nowadays. He's like the modern hipster of the 1950/1960s.

Started and failed to finish Nausea twice.
Cold Ghengis

HyperBeam

« Reply #1824 on: July 22, 2013, 12:43:02 AM »

Yes, exactly what I'm talking about!
I'm almost through with the third installment and I feel like I've just become adequately familiar with the style to a point where I can thoroughly appreciate the ramblings. You almost have to build a tolerance to it, it seems. It is very rewarding reading Proust (or Moncrieff, to a certain extent, for those who don't speak French). Dude is brilliant.

steve

• Rep: 45
« Reply #1825 on: July 24, 2013, 09:14:12 AM »
"Christian Nation" is a new novel that begins when the McCain/Palin ticket takes the 08 US election. From there the Christian right begins a steady ascent to national/political dominance and war breaks loose to turn the US into a land fit for rapture. It's a great book to get people thinking about the prevalence of and danger posed by fundamentalist leaders. Imagine the US as a theocracy, ruled by biblical law?

Kinch

• Rep: 10
« Reply #1826 on: July 24, 2013, 10:33:15 AM »

Started and failed to finish Nausea twice.

Ah, I'm roughly half way through Nausea and am finding it pretty dull as well to be honest. I doubt I'll finish it as I'm also reading The Brothers Karamazov which I'm a lot more interested in. Has anyone read his Roads to Freedom trilogy (Age of Reason, The Reprieve, Iron in the Soul) at all? I found these made a lot more compelling reading than Nausea has been so far.

I did find some passages enjoyable in Nausea. The passage on the nature of adventure and how we perceive it is pretty much the only memorable one coming to mind though.

shitsandwich

« Reply #1827 on: July 24, 2013, 01:42:35 PM »
Yeah I read The Stranger and thought it was super sick so I figured I'd try Nausea out but its pretty dull so far

LesbianPUNCH

• Rep: 12
« Reply #1828 on: July 24, 2013, 03:17:19 PM »
Was never really into reading but I dunno if I can handle the heat this summer, so I'll be reading a lot more.

halfway through this:

Picked these two up:

I read post office a looooong time ago and loved it, but never found the time to read bukowski's other stuff.  

edit:  I enjoy books with humor in it, but overall melancholy (sorta like post office).  Any good recommendations?

I just finished 1Q84 a few months back.  Murakami's writing style is excellent, though I'm not sure how close the translation into English is from the original Japanese.  His characters are wonderfully realized, their thoughts are almost your own.  My only critique is in the narrative of the stories themselves.  This book doesn't end with the final page.  You sort of sit there and wonder about everything for weeks after reading, feeling almost cheated, but in a good way.  Hard to explain.  I'm actually reading another of his works, The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles, which thus far is much darker but equally tense in sexual strangeness.  Good stuff.

shitsandwich

« Reply #1829 on: July 24, 2013, 04:32:20 PM »
Was never really into reading but I dunno if I can handle the heat this summer, so I'll be reading a lot more.

halfway through this:

Picked these two up:

I read post office a looooong time ago and loved it, but never found the time to read bukowski's other stuff.  

edit:  I enjoy books with humor in it, but overall melancholy (sorta like post office).  Any good recommendations?

You should read Ham on Rye if you liked Post Office I thought it was a fun read