Author Topic: books to read  (Read 431192 times)

ChronicBluntSlider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
Re: books to read
« Reply #1740 on: June 25, 2013, 08:42:05 AM »
yes or no on this one? not sure if I should start it...

I just read the Sound and the Fury. Super challenging read, and the first half was kind of a trudge, but when I knew what was happening it was great.

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1741 on: June 26, 2013, 08:01:18 PM »
I'm actually quite enjoying Skagboys. It is a bit cumbersome with the near phonetic Scottish accent that it's written in so I find myself going all Groundskeeper Willie on this shit at times (in my head).

BRIX SKWIKZ

Brandon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 291
« Reply #1743 on: July 05, 2013, 02:11:36 PM »
grabbed this after seeing it mentioned in a TIME article, it rules. a muckraking expose of the funeral industry by the wry, hilarious babe jessica mitford. recommended.

kook nukem

« Reply #1744 on: July 05, 2013, 03:58:28 PM »
Dumbing this thread down a bit by saying World War Z is an entertaining read. Skip the fucking movie, though.

hamburglar

• Rep: 14
« Reply #1745 on: July 05, 2013, 07:23:57 PM »

the best fiction i've read in a while.. it's like raymond chandler on acid.
p.t. anderson adapted it and is currently shooting what i'm guessing will be the best film of 2014.

Chipp

• Rep: -10
« Reply #1746 on: July 06, 2013, 05:36:13 AM »
The enigma was hard as fuck to get a hold of. Glad some woman in London could part with it.

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #1747 on: July 06, 2013, 06:20:37 AM »
Dumbing this thread down a bit by saying World War Z is an entertaining read. Skip the fucking movie, though.
This is the wrong approach. When there is a film adaptation of a book out, watch the film first, then read the book. You'll then develop a favorable bias towards the film while still being able to enjoy the book fully.

kook nukem

« Reply #1748 on: July 06, 2013, 07:09:53 PM »
I read the book long before the film was in the works. The two are apples and oranges. Seriously, I'm wondering how the two were able to share a title. The only similarity is that they both have zombie, and even those behave completely different in the film. Oh, well... Brad Pitt's dreamy.

Greg Road

« Reply #1749 on: July 06, 2013, 08:31:22 PM »
The audio book is actually really good for World War Z - featuring a few celebrities reading the different stories. Henry Rollins being one.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
« Reply #1750 on: July 07, 2013, 09:03:29 PM »

I like this cover a lot better than the one I have.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1751 on: July 13, 2013, 09:19:13 PM »
I've been reading Bataille's essay "The Psychological Structure of Fascism" to elucidate Blue of Noon some, but it is a very difficult piece.  I've also been working on Consider the Lobster by David Foster Wallace.  It's going really quickly.  I'm trying to figure out what to read after.  Either the new collection of Vonnegut's novellas, Calvino's If on a winter's night a traveler, or Taussig's Defacement.  I haven't read a lot of theory lately, so I feel bad about that.

few123456789

• Rep: -87
« Reply #1752 on: July 13, 2013, 10:33:22 PM »
I could recommend a lot of books but apparently the Slap forum only reads hipster and artsy books.  You guys are trying way too hard.

Chris Hansen is back

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 780
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1753 on: July 13, 2013, 10:39:06 PM »
Yeah, hit us with some Tucker Max, you fucking dickhead.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1754 on: July 13, 2013, 10:56:53 PM »
I could recommend a lot of books but apparently the Slap forum only reads hipster and artsy books.  You guys are trying way too hard.

It's cool man.  We all have to start somewhere and you could do worse than Dr. Seuss.

few123456789

• Rep: -87
« Reply #1755 on: July 14, 2013, 12:14:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It's cool man.  We all have to start somewhere and you could do worse than Dr. Seuss.
Good point.  I never went to college and I don't go into hipster book stores. 

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #1756 on: July 14, 2013, 02:08:12 AM »
You always brag about what a big man you are on here, but this disdain for "hipster and artsy books" reeks of someone who is insecure about their intellect. What should we be reading instead? Self-help books? Technical manuals? Warren Buffet autobiographies. Ayn Rand has already been mentioned before so don't bother.

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #1757 on: July 14, 2013, 08:31:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Books are art. God forbid you read one thats not crap. You a James Patterson guy?

DeputyDoses

• Rep: 4
  • I look like Mel Gibson
« Reply #1758 on: July 14, 2013, 01:27:43 PM »

stab

• Rep: -1
  • Jumping Beans is a cop
« Reply #1759 on: July 15, 2013, 08:47:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

oh god

I didn't come here to dream or teach the world things;
define paradigms or curate no living days

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #1760 on: July 15, 2013, 04:11:34 PM »
world war z is sooooooo hipster that it got made into a major motion picture.

BRIX SKWIKZ

« Reply #1761 on: July 19, 2013, 07:29:16 PM »
YOU CANT WIN
AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF JACK BLACK

SOME JOE COLEMAN ART INSPIRED BY IT
http://pt.scribd.com/doc/41228576/Sangue-Ruim-Joe-Coleman-1
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 07:42:02 PM by BRIX SKWIKZ »

the canadian suit

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
  • Always lurking.
« Reply #1762 on: July 19, 2013, 08:11:19 PM »
My dad put me on to this guy. Excellent writer who's able to make completely mundane things like smoking a cigarette and staring at a wall seem beautiful. A lot of his work doesn't have a concrete ending or beginning so if your looking for an action packed thriller this isn't your best bet. It is, however, easy to read and digest but full of depth.

Carver is the best. I really like pretty much all of his stories.

Also, as "artsy" and "hip" as it is I really liked James Franco's book "Palo Alto", typical stories about bad kids and shit but a decent read.

Currently reading A Heart is A Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers. Basically got it based on The Anniversary naming a song after this book.
Also just read No Country For Old Men by Cormac McCarthy, I really dig the way he writes.
p-shuvs and v-flips

shitsandwich

• Rep: -53
« Reply #1763 on: July 19, 2013, 08:14:46 PM »
I just picked up Nausea by Sarte, anyone else read it?

Mundungus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 58
  • ∆∆∆
« Reply #1764 on: July 20, 2013, 12:03:53 AM »

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #1765 on: July 20, 2013, 05:59:56 AM »
Finished reading Combray by Proust aaand what to say, I personally found it so boring.
I mean there's definitely some pages or paragraphs that had me like 'holy shit how can it be so good' but overall I couldnt get past the lack of relevant events of this book.
I'm about to start 'Un amour de Swann' and I really hope this is going to be more exciting!
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -58
« Reply #1766 on: July 20, 2013, 01:07:49 PM »
Finished reading Combray by Proust aaand what to say, I personally found it so boring.
I mean there's definitely some pages or paragraphs that had me like 'holy shit how can it be so good' but overall I couldnt get past the lack of relevant events of this book.
I'm about to start 'Un amour de Swann' and I really hope this is going to be more exciting!

what do you mean by 'exciting'?

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Choose life.
« Reply #1767 on: July 20, 2013, 02:44:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

what do you mean by 'exciting'?

I mean with more stuff going on..Combray was pretty poor of significant events, so I found it pretty hard to keep myself focused on what I was reading, except some few pages once in a while..maybe it's just not my cup of tea who knows
Then again I lost a lot of english vocabulary since I finished high school so I don't always find the right terms to express stuff haha
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -58
« Reply #1768 on: July 20, 2013, 05:22:03 PM »
It's definitely hard to keep attention, I agree. The sentences are long as hell and contain so many relative and subordinate clauses that it's hard to even remember what it's about once you reach the main verb. On top of that, the novel isn't really about much aside from fashionable society. It's not really very thrilling, if you know what I mean.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Choose life.
« Reply #1769 on: July 21, 2013, 02:01:02 AM »
It's definitely hard to keep attention, I agree. The sentences are long as hell and contain so many relative and subordinate clauses that it's hard to even remember what it's about once you reach the main verb. On top of that, the novel isn't really about much aside from fashionable society. It's not really very thrilling, if you know what I mean.

Yes, exactly what I'm talking about!