Author Topic: books to read  (Read 431104 times)

BRIX SKWIKZ

Re: books to read
« Reply #1800 on: July 28, 2013, 12:52:32 PM »

ChronicBluntSlider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #1801 on: August 05, 2013, 12:05:56 AM »

I really liked this. Super funny. Up there with Animal Farm for great satires. Only about 120 pages too.

shitsandwich

• Rep: -53
« Reply #1802 on: August 07, 2013, 01:25:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I just picked up Nausea by Sarte, anyone else read it?
[close]

Yes. In my eyes it is completely overrated.

I've never been a huge fan of Sartre. Or Simone de Beauvoir for that matter. Camus is by far the most (read: the only) exciting writer of the "French Existentialists".

However, in all fairness, people have tried to imitate Sartre for so long that his style seems really bland, played out, unoriginal, and boring nowadays. He's like the modern hipster of the 1950/1960s.
[close]

I'm going to pick up 'The stranger' tomorrow since I'll have a whole week at the beach doing nothing..I hope this is going to be exciting/inspiring

Thats perfect to read on a sunny day at the beach

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1803 on: August 08, 2013, 06:29:36 PM »
Just started John Le Carre's The Spy Who Came In from the Cold

I've read a couple of Le Carre's books, but all of them are the recent ones and I've neglected this classic for far too long.

Going to try and get into the George Smiley books sometime too. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is one of my favorite films

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #1804 on: August 08, 2013, 06:39:03 PM »
^^^That's good stuff.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1805 on: August 08, 2013, 08:45:32 PM »
Any of you guys still purchase books? I used to buy books all the time but I can't really justify it anymore. I've been getting everything from the library these past few years.

I've been looking at pictures of people's private libraries and I can seriously wank to that shit.

http://www.beautiful-libraries.com/index.html

http://thatlibrary.tumblr.com/

I'm already thinking about how I'd set my reading nest up one day when I move out and get my own place. Gotta have that Eames lounge chair.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
« Reply #1806 on: August 09, 2013, 10:11:43 AM »
I only buy physical copies of books.  The only exception to this is when I was in school and I'd have to take out books (especially very old/obscure ones) for assignments.  But if I found it really useful, is eventually pick up a copy of it from somewhere.  We have a great campus bookstore that kicks the shit out of other college bookstores I've seen.  The prices rack up, so I've turned to buying used books off of Amazon for super cheap or filling in my fiction gaps from Half-Priced Books and other used bookstores.  I find that, on the whole, it's not really anymore hit-or-miss than getting them new an all of my copies have been in really good, if not almost new, condition. 

In actuality, the worst thing is having to find space for all of them.  I have piles of them randomly in my (small ass) bedroom and computer room.

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #1807 on: August 14, 2013, 10:31:12 AM »
Expand Quote
could someone briefly explain why I ought to read ulysses? it seems overhyped.
[close]

It is not.?  It really pushes the boundaries of literature stylistically and linguistically while still being intelligible (for the most part).?  It's a prescient novel that save for some references here and there deal with the totality of the human experience and is just timeless.?  You learn more about it, about art in general, and about yourself and humanity with each reading (sounds corny, but it's true).

For the last few years all I've really read is the "classics". Right now I'm reading This Side Of Paradise by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Ulysses was on my list to read. I know that is Joyce's most famous book. So I usually like to check out an authors lesser known books before reading their "big" book. I read a collection of short stories by him, Dubliners. That wasn't too bad. Then I got Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. Figured this would be good before Ulysses since it concerns one of the same characters. I get all my books from the library. You checkout a book for 3 weeks. With the option to renew checkout twice. So you can keep a book for 9 weeks total, if necessary. Usually I'll finish a book within those 3 weeks. But I had that Portrait book for 9 weeks and only got about 2/3 of the way through. It was so slow going. Just seemed like a bunch of religious doctrine. If Ulysses is anything like that book; I don't think I'm interested.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1808 on: August 14, 2013, 11:42:27 AM »
Yeah, he's not for everybody.  But I've never had a problem getting through his books so I really don't know what to tell you.  I can kind of see what you mean with regards to Portrait, but since I know how it goes, I don't really think of it that way.  Religion plays a big part, but it's really a very cerebral description of the interplay between individuals, their social situations, and the creative impulse.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #1809 on: August 14, 2013, 11:55:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

I've never been a huge fan of Sartre. Or Simone de Beauvoir for that matter. Camus is by far the most (read: the only) exciting writer of the "French Existentialists".

However, in all fairness, people have tried to imitate Sartre for so long that his style seems really bland, played out, unoriginal, and boring nowadays. He's like the modern hipster of the 1950/1960s.
[close]

I'm going to pick up 'The stranger' tomorrow since I'll have a whole week at the beach doing nothing..I hope this is going to be exciting/inspiring
[close]

Last summer I read a whole Kafka book at the beach so it's alright
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

aleksander

• Rep: 121
« Reply #1811 on: August 19, 2013, 06:54:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Last summer I read a whole Kafka book at the beach so it's alright

Revisit this thread after you've read the book and giggle at this post.

If anyone reads YA or Middle Grade stuff (maybe you're a teacher?), "Wonder" by RJ Palacio is fantastic. Every book I've read since has been a bore because I got so much out of"Wonder."
"Let's just do something stupid and ridiculous and just be as fucking regular as we possibly can."

BRIX SKWIKZ

« Reply #1812 on: August 25, 2013, 06:50:24 AM »

SqueezeThePulp

• Rep: 11
« Reply #1813 on: August 25, 2013, 02:21:06 PM »
someone might have already mentioned it, but Siddhartha is a good book.

toque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
    • Portmanteau avatar image
« Reply #1814 on: August 25, 2013, 02:26:31 PM »

Exactly, still really fun to read though. So much is based deep in Japanese culture/history/mythology/psychology.
I read this and gave it to my girlfriend.

She was bummed haahahahaha. The stories are all pretty depressing.

"please,  just call me Frog"

Just finished (and enjoyed) this...I think I got the recommendation from this thread but can't remember now.

And have these two up next.  Decided to pick up the Salter book after reading a Bill Callahan interview the other day where he talks about him...

The Stranger at the beach had me cracking up.  I might have to dust my copy off and head out there before it gets cold here. 

wheee!

few123456789

• Rep: -87
« Reply #1815 on: August 25, 2013, 02:56:43 PM »
The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven
Indian Killer

Both by Sherman Alexie.  For some reason he doesn't have Indian Killer on his website, but it's not a bad novel.

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1816 on: September 05, 2013, 07:59:57 PM »

This is maybe my 4th time picking this up from the library. Every time I've gotten started on it, I end up getting busy/distracted and fall off but I'm going to stick with it this time.

I think it's good to always have a history book in your rotation.

Want to get into Ancient Roman history but that shit intimidates me, honestly wouldn't even know where to start considering the breadth of works on that topic

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #1817 on: September 09, 2013, 12:28:03 PM »
Just finished Neil Gaimans American Gods, was ok but not totally blown away by it. Read that because I read his Neverwhere and really liked it. In between those I read Only Forward by Michael Marshall Smith which was fucking ace. Best book I've read in a while.

Still trying to recover after reading all the Game of Thrones books.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #1818 on: September 09, 2013, 01:00:39 PM »

Want to get into Ancient Roman history but that shit intimidates me, honestly wouldn't even know where to start considering the breadth of works on that topic

I've dabbled in it some.  There doesn't seem to be any great documentaries on Roman history, surprisingly. 

How do you feel about podcasts?  In general, I think it's easier to get through history in audio or video formats than by dredging through books. There is a comprehensive History of Rome podcast that's decent.  I got through the first 30 or so episodes.  I recommend at least the first 2 episodes.  It talks about the distinction between fact and Mythology, which is basically all early Roman history is.    After the early history it talks a lot about the numerous wars and the structure of the government and I started to lose interest before the story gets good with Julius Caesar.  I only know the basic details about the life of Julius Caesar, so there is a lot more to learn.  I'd say just start with something concise and then see if you want to get into more detail. 

I'm currently listening to Dan Carlin's Hardcore History on the Decline of Rome (6ish episodes around 1 hour each).

A.J.K.

« Reply #1819 on: September 09, 2013, 01:11:03 PM »

BRIX SKWIKZ

« Reply #1820 on: September 13, 2013, 02:01:57 PM »

ChewyPoo

• Rep: -5
« Reply #1821 on: September 13, 2013, 08:46:27 PM »
Reading Women by Charles Bukowski atm, I really wanna read books by that dude Haruki Muramuki that keeps popping up on here but our public library doesnt have it, worth buying?

Kinch

• Rep: 10
« Reply #1822 on: September 14, 2013, 02:46:58 AM »
Reading Women by Charles Bukowski atm, I really wanna read books by that dude Haruki Muramuki that keeps popping up on here but our public library doesnt have it, worth buying?

If you look hard enough you will find free downloadable Murakami ebooks. I've read Dance Dance Dance and I loved it; it was very easy to get into and the sense of piecing together the mystery at the heart of the story kept me coming back. Murakami's characters were likeable and he manages to make them surreal enough to be interesting and to fit with the weirder elements of the texts, but also human and believable. I say this but somehow I am yet to start another of his books.

I just finished this as a friend wrote his dissertation on it.

It's interesting how different the text actually is from the popular perception of it; it's not bawdy or lewd, but thought provoking on a difficult subject. It doesn't really come with a black and white moral (or immoral) message as many seem to think. Nabokov's afterword on the critical and publishing reception it received was also illuminating on this. 

I'm now probably going to start on another Murakami book thanks to this reminder.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1823 on: September 14, 2013, 08:19:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If you look hard enough you will find free downloadable Murakami ebooks. I've read Dance Dance Dance and I loved it; it was very easy to get into and the sense of piecing together the mystery at the heart of the story kept me coming back. Murakami's characters were likeable and he manages to make them surreal enough to be interesting and to fit with the weirder elements of the texts, but also human and believable. I say this but somehow I am yet to start another of his books.

I just finished this as a friend wrote his dissertation on it.

It's interesting how different the text actually is from the popular perception of it; it's not bawdy or lewd, but thought provoking on a difficult subject. It doesn't really come with a black and white moral (or immoral) message as many seem to think. Nabokov's afterword on the critical and publishing reception it received was also illuminating on this. 

I'm now probably going to start on another Murakami book thanks to this reminder.

I love Nabokov.  I took two separate classes on him in college: one was a general overview of his work, the other focused just on Pale Fire.  I've read all of his American novels so I have to start the rest of his Russian translations soon.  I'm actually reading Brian Boyd's biography of his American years along with a sociology book right now.  The more I learn about him, the more awesome he becomes.

aleksander

• Rep: 121
« Reply #1824 on: September 14, 2013, 06:40:07 PM »
Just finished Neil Gaimans American Gods, was ok but not totally blown away by it. Read that because I read his Neverwhere and really liked it. In between those I read Only Forward by Michael Marshall Smith which was fucking ace. Best book I've read in a while.

Still trying to recover after reading all the Game of Thrones books.

I felt the same way about American Gods. I got the feeling that if I knew more about mythology I would have caught a lot more references and enjoyed it more, but I don't, so I didn't. I read The Graveyard Book and Coraline as well, and they both felt kind of flat to me as well. Most people love him but I guess it's just not right for me.

Hell yes, especially The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle and Kafka on the Shore. Both amazingly well-written and beyond fucking weird.
"Let's just do something stupid and ridiculous and just be as fucking regular as we possibly can."

Mundungus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 58
  • ∆∆∆
« Reply #1825 on: September 18, 2013, 10:30:20 PM »
Sexy English major bitches kept posting this on FB and I finally got around to reading it

"Don't date a girl who reads" -Charles Warnke

http://sean.terretta.com/dont-date-a-girl-who-reads-charles-warnke

LesbianPUNCH

• Rep: 25
« Reply #1826 on: September 18, 2013, 10:59:59 PM »

Hell yes, especially The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle and Kafka on the Shore. Both amazingly well-written and beyond fucking weird.

[/quote]

I second this.  I went on a Murakami binge for a few weeks.  I've read 1Q84, The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, After the Quake, and I'm about halfway through After Dark.  1Q84 is probably my favorite thus far solely because the characters are less apathetic and easier to empathize with, and for the most part Aomame and Tengo are both interesting people lost in the uncertainty of empty accomplishments and impending loneliness that comes with aging.  The story is also twisted, eery, and very mysterious, and though the main narrative ties up nicely Murakami leaves a lot of loose ends for you to chew on.  I like the dystopian atmosphere.  I was a little frustrated that the Little People weren't really explored further, but that's just me.     

Wind-Up Bird is an excellent read, tying in Japanese history with present day strangeness, and overall the book seems like a manifesto on suffering and stagnancy.  My only complaint is that Toru seems so indifferent about almost everything he faces in the novel aside from his hatred for a character who plays a vague and unsatisfying role in the story, and you spend most of the book watching him wrestle with a refusal to do anything productive after letting go of his occupation.  Toru basically deserves everything that comes his way.  While Toru weighed this work down, Lieutenant Mamiya was one of the saving graces of this work.  I love that he faces certain death and comes to peace with it, only to be cursed with the perpetual living nightmare that is his surviving.  His story is terrifying.  There is a lot that I love about this novel.  The good definitely outweighs the bad. 

BRIX SKWIKZ

« Reply #1827 on: September 18, 2013, 11:15:11 PM »
Sexy English major bitches kept posting this on FB and I finally got around to reading it

"Don't date a girl who reads" -Charles Warnke

http://sean.terretta.com/dont-date-a-girl-who-reads-charles-warnke

THE WRITER SUCKS THATS WHY THE GIRL DUMPED HIM

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1828 on: September 19, 2013, 07:01:09 AM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24116925

Things I am stoked on - Neal Stephenson working on a new book!

If you guys haven't read Cryptonomicon yet, pull your head out of your asses and get on it. And if you enjoyed that, jump straight into the Baroque Cycle. You will not regret it.

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Rep: -8
« Reply #1829 on: September 19, 2013, 10:32:15 AM »
I've been into some newer stuff as of lately.

Don't know quite what to think of it. Part of me really likes the overall idea, but it gets predictable at some point. Still worth a read.

Quite a good read. Really liked it.

Two days ago I started the following book which is pretty much a mix of fiction and non-fiction. It tells the story of the year 1913 by paragraphs (or even sub-chapters) on the actions involving famous persons or inventions from that time and how they foreshadow the catastrophe to come the following year. So far I like it:

This one's next. I love Adorno and his work and I'm excited what this very recent book brings to the table. An English translation shouldn't be available yet.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 10:33:47 AM by AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice »