Author Topic: books to read  (Read 431184 times)

kilgore.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: books to read
« Reply #1830 on: September 21, 2013, 09:01:52 PM »

No holds barred, til labias say "free us"
then its straight to your kids' school, wine coolers in the Prius

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
« Reply #1831 on: September 21, 2013, 09:44:39 PM »
I'm reading Despair by Nabokov and taking my time through Naked by David Sedaris because I'm taking my girlfriend to see a reading from him for her birthday so I figured I should read something by him.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #1832 on: September 27, 2013, 12:00:14 PM »
Revisit this thread after you've read the book and giggle at this post.

I started reading The Stranger today and finished in a couple of hours. It definitely flows well, with narration of Mersault everyday's life that shows his feeling-less attitude towards pretty much everything thats not material. After being condamned he expresses some emotions yet still fully and coldly accepting what's is awaiting him.
I don't know, I'll now look up for discussions with themes, points of view and so on, but at least on first impression 'The Stranger' definitely didn't stood up or blew my mind; it's still a good and quick novel.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

Merked

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -157
« Reply #1833 on: September 27, 2013, 12:17:20 PM »
Kurt Vonnegut

Read Slaughterhouse-five and thoroughly enjoyed it.  His description/concept of time was tittilating to say the least.  Reminds me of how Dr. Manhatton from Watchmen percieved time.

Also, almost done with Breakfeast of Champions and it is just as good if not better than Slaughterhouse-five.  I love the way his mind works and the structure of his novels is captivating.

His style is probably not for everyone, but I would highly recommend.

Going to get on Cat's Cradle soon too.
I suck at SLAP.

kilgore.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1834 on: September 27, 2013, 02:18:18 PM »
lol

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1835 on: September 27, 2013, 04:56:37 PM »
Kurt Vonnegut

Read Slaughterhouse-five and thoroughly enjoyed it.  His description/concept of time was tittilating to say the least.  Reminds me of how Dr. Manhatton from Watchmen percieved time.

Also, almost done with Breakfeast of Champions and it is just as good if not better than Slaughterhouse-five.  I love the way his mind works and the structure of his novels is captivating.

Vonnegut's awesome.  I've read just about everything he's put out (I have to read the most recent collection of his two unfinished novels).  I read almost all of his stuff really quickly and while I was fairly young and haven't had much of a desire to go back and re-read him though oddly enough.  Usually I have no problem doing that with authors I like.  He's definitely a good author to have a lot of knowledge about.  He's a good guy to decompress with after you've read someone extremely difficult or involved too.

LloydChristmas

« Reply #1836 on: September 27, 2013, 05:20:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Kurt Vonnegut

[close]

Vonnegut's awesome.  I've read just about everything he's put out (I have to read the most recent collection of his two unfinished novels).  I read almost all of his stuff really quickly and while I was fairly young and haven't had much of a desire to go back and re-read him though oddly enough.  Usually I have no problem doing that with authors I like.  He's definitely a good author to have a lot of knowledge about.  He's a good guy to decompress with after you've read someone extremely difficult or involved too.

yeah, good to decompress from non-fiction in general with a wild Vonnegut plot.  i didn't read the unfinished stuff yet either...i wonder if the works are organized enough to read through, haven't looked into them at all.

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #1837 on: September 27, 2013, 06:47:17 PM »
So it goes.

That's one of my favorite, I guess literary devices of all time.

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #1838 on: September 27, 2013, 07:24:36 PM »
Started David Copperfield. Never read Dickens before (believe it or not).

I'm enjoying this. 

BuddyPal

« Reply #1839 on: September 27, 2013, 08:47:31 PM »

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #1840 on: September 28, 2013, 09:36:35 AM »
So it goes.

Poo-tee-weet.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Rep: -8
« Reply #1841 on: September 28, 2013, 01:22:58 PM »

What a badass fucking book! Way better than expected. I didn't really feel the introductory chapter and thought the novel would be more of young-adult fiction because it has these magical and kitsch elements in it. I was actually pretty close to putting it down, something I normally never do with books. I finally decided to give it one more chance and read on and holy fuck, the story really came through. Contrary to what I thought at first, it's really dark and all about revenge, sex, treason, violence, moral decline, and also covers the political circumstances of the time (Barcelona under Franco): i.e. all the stuff I like. It also does away with its magical elements as they unfold themselves realistically. Go read it!

The Human Condom

• Rep: 45
  • Free condoms! Free condoms from The Human Condom.
    • : /skeɪt/ avatar image
« Reply #1842 on: September 29, 2013, 02:15:34 PM »

Merked

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1843 on: September 30, 2013, 06:50:03 AM »
Expand Quote
So it goes.

[close]
Poo-tee-weet.

;D
I suck at SLAP.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1844 on: September 30, 2013, 04:49:28 PM »
Finished Despair yesterday, started Bleeding Edge, Pynchon's new book, today.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #1845 on: October 03, 2013, 03:37:57 PM »
I'm now midway through 'Zeno's Conscience' and this is a masterpiece I swear, I suggest it to yall.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

sametelt

• Rep: 17
« Reply #1846 on: October 04, 2013, 01:44:08 AM »

George Saunders kills it.

kilgore.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1847 on: October 04, 2013, 01:56:04 PM »

BRIX SKWIKZ

« Reply #1848 on: October 04, 2013, 08:51:49 PM »
KEROUAC S BOOK OF DREAMS

BRIX SKWIKZ

« Reply #1849 on: October 06, 2013, 08:57:38 PM »

BRIX SKWIKZ

« Reply #1850 on: October 06, 2013, 09:42:47 PM »

BRIX SKWIKZ

« Reply #1851 on: October 06, 2013, 09:57:20 PM »
GUNTER GRASS TIN DRUM
GARCIA MARQUEZ 100 YERARS OF LONELINESS

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #1852 on: October 07, 2013, 06:37:20 AM »
just wantnt to say how fucking gay it was that merked thought vonnegut was 'tittilating''' god you fucking suck so hard merked pleasse focus

Merked

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1853 on: October 07, 2013, 07:17:45 AM »
just wantnt to say how fucking gay it was that merked thought vonnegut was 'tittilating''' god you fucking suck so hard merked pleasse focus

Lol, I like that word, yet I have to agree it was prob not the best word choice for describing Vonnegut, but I wrote that post fast.  Also, I was describing his description/concept of time, rather than Vonnegut himself.  My posts do not tittilate you?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 07:20:21 AM by Merked »
I suck at SLAP.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2593
« Reply #1854 on: October 12, 2013, 10:06:39 AM »

Tony Judt was one of the greatest historians of the 20th century. He died in 2010. Before he died he co-authored this book with another historian, Snyder. Half conversation, half autobiography (Judt's), it's a great voyage through historical issues central to the understanding the previous century. Despite that, it is not overly scholarly. Don't be mislead by the subtitle. The reason I'm posting this book here is because I think it could be thoroughly enjoyable for non-historians as well. I guess some previous knowledge is necessary, but if you have a a background in humanities or social sciences you won't find the content foreign.   
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

BRIX SKWIKZ

« Reply #1855 on: October 20, 2013, 03:29:27 PM »

sametelt

• Rep: 17
« Reply #1856 on: October 21, 2013, 01:36:47 AM »

This is really good. Petterson's style and the general mood of the novel (not just the name) reminds me of All the Pretty Horses-era Cormac McCarthy, but I find the narrative in Out Stealing Horses a lot more interesting. Great stuff.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 01:40:16 AM by sametelt »

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #1857 on: November 04, 2013, 01:17:44 PM »

Dead Souls was fuckin great. Super funny social criticism/satire from the 1800s. Kind of reminds me of a Russian Mark Twain. The plot and what the 'dead souls' refer to is pretty amazing. It was the first I read of him. Bought Diary of a Madman and will be reading that soon. American Pastoral was the first Phillip Roth book I read also. Real good writer, interesting story about some high school football star from the '40s who grows up to have a daughter who becomes a bomber in the '60s, has a crazy wife who cheats on him, etc. and just kind of has his ideal of the American dream he has in mind shattered and starts to lose it. Clockwork Orange is cool if for no other reason than you can picture the scenes from the movie and Alex is a great first-person narrator with all the crazy made up slang Burgess uses.

Ollie Ringwald

• Rep: -3
« Reply #1858 on: November 04, 2013, 02:24:33 PM »
I just finished American Pastoral as well, I thought it was pretty fucking good.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1859 on: November 04, 2013, 04:45:30 PM »
I finished Bleeding Edge about a week ago and I'm unsure how I feel about it.  It was classic Pynchon, it was funny, an I know it was good, but I just don't think he's my favorite author.   I like reading him, but I'm not as excited after I read him as I am after Joyce or Nabokov.  Does that makes sense?  Anyway, it was very expansive and immersive and it was a lot more readable and straightforward than I expected (which isn't to say it was simple/straightforward) and I liked the ending because it was rather ambiguous.  There wasn't a HUGE revelation tying everything up, so it was actually somewhat realistic in that way. 

I finished reading David Sedaris's Naked because I was going to see him talk with the girlfriend.  I was hoping for some light, fun(ny) reading and although there was some of that, I apparently bought his most depressing collection if humor essays, so that kind of sucked.

Right now I'm reading Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino.  It's short and the chapters go by quickly, but they're really fun and interesting.  His descriptions of the cities are really inventive and playful and it's really interesting to see what he comes up with next.  Hard to describe what I mean there, but if you read it, it makes more sense.