Author Topic: books to read  (Read 248557 times)

BuddyPal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 108
Re: books to read
« Reply #1890 on: September 27, 2013, 08:47:31 PM »
. And don't you ever "lol" twice in the same sentence again.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -3
« Reply #1891 on: September 28, 2013, 09:36:35 AM »
So it goes.

That's one of my favorite, I guess literary devices of all time.
Poo-tee-weet.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of retarded kids and a van full of paraplegics.

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Rep: -21
« Reply #1892 on: September 28, 2013, 01:22:58 PM »

What a badass fucking book! Way better than expected. I didn't really feel the introductory chapter and thought the novel would be more of young-adult fiction because it has these magical and kitsch elements in it. I was actually pretty close to putting it down, something I normally never do with books. I finally decided to give it one more chance and read on and holy fuck, the story really came through. Contrary to what I thought at first, it's really dark and all about revenge, sex, treason, violence, moral decline, and also covers the political circumstances of the time (Barcelona under Franco): i.e. all the stuff I like. It also does away with its magical elements as they unfold themselves realistically. Go read it!

The Human Condom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
  • Free condoms! Free condoms from The Human Condom.
    • : /skeɪt/
« Reply #1893 on: September 29, 2013, 02:15:34 PM »

Merked

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -157
  • Strong Island Rippin, Guidos and Shit.
« Reply #1894 on: September 30, 2013, 06:50:03 AM »
So it goes.

That's one of my favorite, I guess literary devices of all time.
Poo-tee-weet.

;D

I suck at SLAP.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 197
« Reply #1895 on: September 30, 2013, 04:49:28 PM »
Finished Despair yesterday, started Bleeding Edge, Pynchon's new book, today.

Mark Renton

• Rep: 26
« Reply #1896 on: October 03, 2013, 03:37:57 PM »
I'm now midway through 'Zeno's Conscience' and this is a masterpiece I swear, I suggest it to yall.

sametelt

• Rep: 17
« Reply #1897 on: October 04, 2013, 01:44:08 AM »

George Saunders kills it.

kilgore.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
« Reply #1898 on: October 04, 2013, 01:56:04 PM »
No holds barred, til labias say "free us"
then its straight to your kids' school, wine coolers in the Prius

BRIX SKWIKZ

« Reply #1899 on: October 04, 2013, 08:51:49 PM »
KEROUAC S BOOK OF DREAMS

BRIX SKWIKZ

« Reply #1900 on: October 06, 2013, 08:57:38 PM »

BRIX SKWIKZ

« Reply #1901 on: October 06, 2013, 09:42:47 PM »

BRIX SKWIKZ

« Reply #1902 on: October 06, 2013, 09:57:20 PM »
GUNTER GRASS TIN DRUM
GARCIA MARQUEZ 100 YERARS OF LONELINESS

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -22
« Reply #1903 on: October 07, 2013, 06:37:20 AM »
just wantnt to say how fucking gay it was that merked thought vonnegut was 'tittilating''' god you fucking suck so hard merked pleasse focus

Merked

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -157
  • Strong Island Rippin, Guidos and Shit.
« Reply #1904 on: October 07, 2013, 07:17:45 AM »
just wantnt to say how fucking gay it was that merked thought vonnegut was 'tittilating''' god you fucking suck so hard merked pleasse focus

Lol, I like that word, yet I have to agree it was prob not the best word choice for describing Vonnegut, but I wrote that post fast.  Also, I was describing his description/concept of time, rather than Vonnegut himself.  My posts do not tittilate you?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 07:20:21 AM by Merked »

I suck at SLAP.

Alan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 121
« Reply #1905 on: October 12, 2013, 10:06:39 AM »

Tony Judt was one of the greatest historians of the 20th century. He died in 2010. Before he died he co-authored this book with another historian, Snyder. Half conversation, half autobiography (Judt's), it's a great voyage through historical issues central to the understanding the previous century. Despite that, it is not overly scholarly. Don't be mislead by the subtitle. The reason I'm posting this book here is because I think it could be thoroughly enjoyable for non-historians as well. I guess some previous knowledge is necessary, but if you have a a background in humanities or social sciences you won't find the content foreign.   
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

BRIX SKWIKZ

« Reply #1906 on: October 20, 2013, 03:29:27 PM »

sametelt

« Reply #1907 on: October 21, 2013, 01:36:47 AM »

This is really good. Petterson's style and the general mood of the novel (not just the name) reminds me of All the Pretty Horses-era Cormac McCarthy, but I find the narrative in Out Stealing Horses a lot more interesting. Great stuff.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 01:40:16 AM by sametelt »

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
« Reply #1908 on: November 04, 2013, 01:17:44 PM »

Dead Souls was fuckin great. Super funny social criticism/satire from the 1800s. Kind of reminds me of a Russian Mark Twain. The plot and what the 'dead souls' refer to is pretty amazing. It was the first I read of him. Bought Diary of a Madman and will be reading that soon. American Pastoral was the first Phillip Roth book I read also. Real good writer, interesting story about some high school football star from the '40s who grows up to have a daughter who becomes a bomber in the '60s, has a crazy wife who cheats on him, etc. and just kind of has his ideal of the American dream he has in mind shattered and starts to lose it. Clockwork Orange is cool if for no other reason than you can picture the scenes from the movie and Alex is a great first-person narrator with all the crazy made up slang Burgess uses.

Ollie Ringwald

« Reply #1909 on: November 04, 2013, 02:24:33 PM »
I just finished American Pastoral as well, I thought it was pretty fucking good.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1910 on: November 04, 2013, 04:45:30 PM »
I finished Bleeding Edge about a week ago and I'm unsure how I feel about it.  It was classic Pynchon, it was funny, an I know it was good, but I just don't think he's my favorite author.   I like reading him, but I'm not as excited after I read him as I am after Joyce or Nabokov.  Does that makes sense?  Anyway, it was very expansive and immersive and it was a lot more readable and straightforward than I expected (which isn't to say it was simple/straightforward) and I liked the ending because it was rather ambiguous.  There wasn't a HUGE revelation tying everything up, so it was actually somewhat realistic in that way. 

I finished reading David Sedaris's Naked because I was going to see him talk with the girlfriend.  I was hoping for some light, fun(ny) reading and although there was some of that, I apparently bought his most depressing collection if humor essays, so that kind of sucked.

Right now I'm reading Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino.  It's short and the chapters go by quickly, but they're really fun and interesting.  His descriptions of the cities are really inventive and playful and it's really interesting to see what he comes up with next.  Hard to describe what I mean there, but if you read it, it makes more sense.

Alan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1911 on: November 05, 2013, 04:54:16 AM »

Right now I'm reading Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino.  It's short and the chapters go by quickly, but they're really fun and interesting.  His descriptions of the cities are really inventive and playful and it's really interesting to see what he comes up with next.  Hard to describe what I mean there, but if you read it, it makes more sense.

Read an excerpt for an urban sociology class I took. On my 'to read' list for sure.

Ollie Ringwald

« Reply #1912 on: November 05, 2013, 09:57:11 PM »

Right now I'm reading Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino.?  It's short and the chapters go by quickly, but they're really fun and interesting.?  His descriptions of the cities are really inventive and playful and it's really interesting to see what he comes up with next.?  Hard to describe what I mean there, but if you read it, it makes more sense.

Read an excerpt for an urban sociology class I took. On my 'to read' list for sure.

"On a Winter's Night.." was sick.

sametelt

« Reply #1913 on: November 06, 2013, 02:47:30 AM »

Pretty entertaining so far. The fact that it was postponed because he insisted that it had to be published as a Penguin Classic in its first print run is hilarious.

Alan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1914 on: November 06, 2013, 08:35:58 AM »
Hahaha, classic Mozzer.

Nosferatu

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 367
« Reply #1915 on: November 06, 2013, 10:25:21 PM »

Right now I'm reading Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino.?  It's short and the chapters go by quickly, but they're really fun and interesting.?  His descriptions of the cities are really inventive and playful and it's really interesting to see what he comes up with next.?  Hard to describe what I mean there, but if you read it, it makes more sense.

I bought an old esquire that had his story The Argentine Ant in it. It was super good. Similar to Kafka. Makes me want to read more. thanks for reminding.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

shark tits

« Reply #1916 on: November 06, 2013, 10:46:43 PM »
i usedta read so prolifically but i've slacked a bunch lately. i remember really liking a book called 'slackjaw' about a guy w/ degenerative retinas who kept trying to kill himself. 'candy girl' by cody diablo a fictionalized account [i believe] of her yr stripping. some cool band references. 'jails, hospitals and hip hop' by danny hoch aka 'flip dawg' from whiteboyz. its a one man play and the book is just monologues by the different characters he plays. flip dawg is a genius, who you thought it was?

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1917 on: November 07, 2013, 09:05:45 AM »

I bought an old esquire that had his story The Argentine Ant in it. It was super good. Similar to Kafka. Makes me want to read more. thanks for reminding.

I have no idea what his short stories are like in comparison to his novels, but I'm liking Invisible Cities so far and I liked If on a winter's night a traveler when I read it a few months ago.  Like I said, he's playful in his experimental/meta constraints and you can tell that he really enjoys writing.  The thing about IC is that it is hard to keep all of the cities straight because there are so many of them and he describe them very similarly (stylistically speaking).  You kind of have to catch shades of differences if you know what I mean.  They "feel" different from one another.  I just reached the point where Marco Polo is pretty blatant about what he is trying to do/describe with all of these cities, so I'm excited to see how that changes things.

Harem

« Reply #1918 on: November 10, 2013, 05:41:39 PM »
Last few months -

Loved this. Probably the most refreshing thing I've read in quite some time. Totally reminds me of the movie Synedoche, New York. Highly recommended.

Polished this off under a week. Really enjoyed this. I've always been a fan of The Smiths & Morrissey, but purely from a musical point. So most of what was in the book was news to me. Chronologically this book is out of sorts at times, but it's a small over sight.

Nosferatu

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 367
« Reply #1919 on: November 10, 2013, 09:23:44 PM »
Last few months -

Loved this. Probably the most refreshing thing I've read in quite some time. Totally reminds me of the movie Synedoche, New York. Highly recommended.
whattt.... love that movie.

I just finished this:

which was a short but good read. The main character pretty much goes from being an upstanding academic to not giving a shit about anything.

Just started this:

Seems good so far. Any scandinavians got insight on this one?

I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.