Author Topic: books to read  (Read 431273 times)

shark tits

Re: books to read
« Reply #1890 on: December 30, 2013, 08:14:47 PM »
i borrowed keith richards biography but i haven't started it yet. i will say that mick jagger's biography was through the roof, nonstop, balls and dick to the walls! that dude fucked every hot broad from his era through angelina jolie and most men too [clapton, bowie, brian jones, a bunch i don't remember]. wilt chamberlain's numbers ain't got shit on mick. carly simon wrote 'you're so vain' about him and some of his songs were about dudes [angie, i believe] dude was the most fucking-est man in show business. hopefully the keith richards book is better cause i feel like he's the more relatable stone.

Yung_Thrust

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 3
« Reply #1891 on: January 01, 2014, 05:17:58 PM »
The Miles Davis autobiography. It was pretty dry, in my opinion, and took forever to finish but definitely worth the read. Just bought Permenant Darkness off of Amazon so I'm pretty excited for that to come.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 05:20:30 PM by Yung_Thrust »

Lenny the Fatface

« Reply #1892 on: January 01, 2014, 06:53:34 PM »
Back on my grind.

The 2nd edition of this book recently and it sooooooo much better than the first.

poorlatino

• Rep: 41
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1893 on: January 01, 2014, 07:56:36 PM »

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Rep: -8
« Reply #1894 on: January 02, 2014, 04:16:16 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Great book, good movie too.

I second that. Really good book. Enjoy!

Mr. Fink

« Reply #1895 on: January 02, 2014, 08:47:34 PM »
I've been reading a lot of Cormac McCarthy. So far my favorite of his is Outer Dark. That may change because I'm only half way through Blood Meridian.

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #1896 on: January 05, 2014, 01:01:09 PM »
I've been reading a lot of Cormac McCarthy. So far my favorite of his is Outer Dark. That may change because I'm only half way through Blood Meridian.

Haven't read that but I fuckin loved Blood Meridian. Will check that out.

I think Sarte was being discussed a few pages back, but I've been meaning to read him. Got a copy of the Wall with a few other short stories and really enjoyed it. Also read some Flannery O'conner short stories that were real good. Read the Stranger by Camus years ago and didn't really like it/ get it. Got a copy of the Fall and will try him again. Just started reading Paradise Lost for the first time.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 01:12:05 PM by ChronicBluntSlider »

dickthreats

• Rep: -4
« Reply #1897 on: January 05, 2014, 04:29:22 PM »
so many lies in this thead

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 379
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1898 on: January 05, 2014, 04:33:10 PM »
Paradise Lost is so fucking good.  Especially when Lucifer and his angels rebel.

I'm finishing up Both Flesh and Not by David Foster Wallace.  I got it for Christmas.  It's his most recent collection of non-fiction essays and it's not as good as A Supposedly Fun Thing... and Consider the Lobster.  Most of the essays/articles are classic DFW, but his reviews and other pieces drag on way too much and are too discursive and jumbled (even for him).  I'm planning to finish it today, but don't know what to read next.  I just bought Blood Meridian so maybe I'll jump on that bandwagon.

Wizard Fight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #1899 on: January 06, 2014, 02:27:29 AM »

sametelt

• Rep: 17
« Reply #1900 on: January 06, 2014, 02:43:19 AM »
Reading The Corrections right now and I'm really enjoying it.

Got halfway through Gravity's Rainbow during Christmas, think I'll get back to it once Franzen is done.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1901 on: January 06, 2014, 09:51:27 AM »
That's impressive.  Gravity's Rainbow was one of the few books I had to take breaks from reading in order to finish.  All told, it took me about a year and a half to finish it.

I read the first chapter of Blood Meridian on the train this morning and it really didn't do anything for me.  I'm not a fan of Westerns, so maybe that's it?

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #1902 on: January 06, 2014, 12:01:36 PM »
Should get better as they start going out on their raids and stuff and the Judge's character develops. He's a fuckin trip.

Merked

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -157
« Reply #1903 on: January 06, 2014, 12:44:10 PM »
That's impressive.  Gravity's Rainbow was one of the few books I had to take breaks from reading in order to finish.  All told, it took me about a year and a half to finish it.

I read the first chapter of Blood Meridian on the train this morning and it really didn't do anything for me.  I'm not a fan of Westerns, so maybe that's it?

I also am not a fan of Westerns and the same exact thing happened to me...  I may give it another shot though after I get through rereading House of Leaves because my buddy is getting into it and I feel like it warrants another read through.  Anyone read it? 
I suck at SLAP.

Mr. Fink

« Reply #1904 on: January 06, 2014, 01:24:09 PM »
Should get better as they start going out on their raids and stuff and the Judge's character develops. He's a fuckin trip.

Jared

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
  • Die Slow
« Reply #1905 on: January 06, 2014, 02:25:59 PM »
\/

harrison ford invented the first car, in America

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1906 on: January 06, 2014, 03:04:40 PM »
Yeah, I'll give it a little more time.  I guess it was a little disappointing since I've heard everyone talk about how awesome it is.

Merked, I've read House of Leaves and I agree that it is awesome and warrant another reading (although I haven't given it one yet).  I've read all of Danielewski's stuff so far and am excited to see what he does with his next project.

Pelican

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 252
« Reply #1907 on: January 06, 2014, 04:50:08 PM »
Roberto Bola?o -- The Savage Detectives

J.M. Coetzee -- Waiting for the Barbarians

Jean Rhys -- Good Morning, Midnight

kilgore.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1908 on: January 06, 2014, 06:02:59 PM »
MAO II
No holds barred, til labias say "free us"
then its straight to your kids' school, wine coolers in the Prius

shark tits

« Reply #1909 on: January 06, 2014, 08:31:22 PM »
'the monkeywrench gang' and 'hayduke lives' by edward abbey. edwin? i don't know but ed abbey. good books about going around the southwest messin crap up. for the good of the planet/detriment of cattle industrialists and condo developers. hilarity ensues and [spoiler alert] the redneck steals the hippie's old lady in the first book [hayduke is the sequel].

tidwid

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1910 on: January 06, 2014, 08:36:34 PM »

100 years of solitude is great. It makes me think about the vast number of communities that were never recorded in history.

I really like comedic fiction, so I would recommend a confederacy of dunces by John Kennedy Toole. It is the funniest book I've read and has a great plot.

Anything by Evelyn Waugh makes me laugh, but in particular I liked put out more flags and vile bodies. He's my favorite author despite being politically and religiously as opposed to my beliefs as possible.

I'm sure catch 22 has been mentioned. It is also hilarious but haunting.

Sometimes a great notion - Ken Kesey (His second book after One flew over the cukoos nest)

Anything by Solzhenitzyn gives a good perspective of Soviet Russia.

Merked

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1911 on: January 07, 2014, 06:47:29 AM »
Yeah, I'll give it a little more time.  I guess it was a little disappointing since I've heard everyone talk about how awesome it is.

Merked, I've read House of Leaves and I agree that it is awesome and warrant another reading (although I haven't given it one yet).  I've read all of Danielewski's stuff so far and am excited to see what he does with his next project.

I am interested to see where he goes in his career as well.  I attempted to read Only Revolutions but I literally couldn't figure out what the fuck was going on.  I may give it another shot with some help from the internet to guide me.  Did you read The Fifty Year Sword?  It has been on my read list if I can find it.  Normal library doesn't have it.   :-\
I suck at SLAP.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1912 on: January 07, 2014, 10:27:06 AM »
Yeah, Only Revolutions was super difficult.  It required a lot of internet help and just heads down reading through it regardless of understanding.  It was meant to be a reinvention of music and (love) poetry, like how HoL is a re-imagining of film and literary criticism.  It made more sense once I realized that, but it still wasn't easy.  I know that I definitely missed a lot.  The Fifty Year Sword is awesome.  I actually went to see Danielewski read it right before the reissue came out and it was really cool and well done.  It's a super quick read since it's basically a ghost story (the reading lasted about an hour and a half I want to say and it was the entire book).  It's a lot better than i]Only Revolutions[/i].

Merked

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1913 on: January 07, 2014, 01:04:14 PM »
Yeah, Only Revolutions was super difficult.  It required a lot of internet help and just heads down reading through it regardless of understanding.  It was meant to be a reinvention of music and (love) poetry, like how HoL is a re-imagining of film and literary criticism.  It made more sense once I realized that, but it still wasn't easy.  I know that I definitely missed a lot.  The Fifty Year Sword is awesome.  I actually went to see Danielewski read it right before the reissue came out and it was really cool and well done.  It's a super quick read since it's basically a ghost story (the reading lasted about an hour and a half I want to say and it was the entire book).  It's a lot better than i]Only Revolutions[/i].

Word up, I am going to see if I can get my hands on a copy of The Fifty Year Sword ASAP.  Glad I am not the only one who felt that way about Only Revolutions though.  Been reading up about Danielewski today and found out that he has a cult-like following.  http://forums.markzdanielewski.com/  -  a whole forum dedicated to his work.  Pretty intense.   
I suck at SLAP.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #1914 on: January 18, 2014, 11:39:04 AM »
I've been reading On the road by Kerouac and it's rad.
Of course I'm hyped to do something similar, although I have the feeling I'm going to get raped/shot/robbed of a kidney while doing it.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #1915 on: January 19, 2014, 05:07:26 AM »
i hope you get killed by gypsies you sack of shit

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2593
« Reply #1916 on: January 19, 2014, 05:15:00 AM »
hahahahahaa
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Greg Road

« Reply #1917 on: January 19, 2014, 08:12:02 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Word up, I am going to see if I can get my hands on a copy of The Fifty Year Sword ASAP.  Glad I am not the only one who felt that way about Only Revolutions though.  Been reading up about Danielewski today and found out that he has a cult-like following.  http://forums.markzdanielewski.com/  -  a whole forum dedicated to his work.  Pretty intense.   

I'm a huge Danielewski fan - I think House of Leaves is his best, being such a cool fucking story. Only Revolutions was pretty cool too - what did you need help with while reading it? doesn't it say in the beginning to read like six pages in one side than flip it and carry on that way. It was cool. I finally found a copy of Fifty Year Sword and wasn't too impressed with it. I've read his next book (or books) are going to be released as mini books or something over a period of time. Should be interesting.

House of Leaves would be a pretty cool movie - I've also heard he refuses to sell the rights thus denying anyone the chance to make a movie from it.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #1918 on: January 19, 2014, 09:36:38 AM »
i hope you get killed by gypsies you sack of shit

Y E S
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

L.S

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #1919 on: January 19, 2014, 10:01:20 AM »

Took me a few months as well. One of the few books that i've read that was just too much for me, mostly because there wasn't really much of plot or anything that would have made me wanting to keep on reading. Maybe it's just me, obviously some people can appreciate type of books, otherwise it wouldn't be considered a classic. Part of it is that i read crying of the lot 49 before Gravitys rainbow and really enjoyed it, so maybe i was expecting something similar and was dissapointed when it was entirely different type of a novel.
LS stands for little sidekick, lil shit lil slug/slime etc etc