Author Topic: books to read  (Read 431289 times)

rob2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: books to read
« Reply #1980 on: April 23, 2014, 12:51:54 PM »
I have not, but I've had several friends that have.  I'm waiting until I read his first novel before I start on Infinite Jest because I'm still ambivalent about DFW as a fiction writer.  I have done similarly structured and really long/dense books before and I've found that it's very helpful to set daily goals to get through the length.  Like, give yourself three months and figure out how many pages you have to read per day to finish in that time.  That way, if a section is dragging, you can tell yourself, "I only have 10 more pages to read today." instead of "This is taking forever and I still have 900 pages to read."

His first novel is a lot harder to get through, a lot less rewarding and generally worse than infinite jest.

Infinte jest is actually pretty fun to read for a lot of the time.

If you have read some of his essays and and short stories and like them then you'll like infinite jest - its one of the best reading experiences I've had

arthurspooner

• Rep: 9
« Reply #1981 on: April 23, 2014, 12:55:18 PM »

Hoping to finish on Pynchon In Public Day.
I've been meaning to read this. I'm stoked for the movie.

Tay

« Reply #1982 on: April 23, 2014, 01:33:16 PM »
Third time reading this. Love it!

Why I'll never reproduce:

:)

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #1983 on: April 23, 2014, 04:28:45 PM »
Journey to the End of the Night by Louis-Ferdinand Celine is worthy of a skim.

kilgore.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1984 on: April 24, 2014, 08:55:16 PM »

understatement of the year right here...
No holds barred, til labias say "free us"
then its straight to your kids' school, wine coolers in the Prius

Mr. Lono

• Rep: 22
  • Fl NC CO
« Reply #1985 on: April 24, 2014, 09:58:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

How the fuck do you skim journey to the end of the night?
Charlie don't skate

castillo's curls

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 70
« Reply #1986 on: April 25, 2014, 04:27:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Rep: -8
« Reply #1987 on: April 25, 2014, 06:24:12 AM »
Just finished up on War and Peace. Despite it's length, it's a good read and very insightful. Easily one of the best books I've ever read. Minor pet peeves were the lack of real characters from lower classes (Platon as the only real exception) and Tolstoy's philosophy of history that becomes a bit redundant and feels modern and outdated at the same time. While his view on the significance 'great leaders' is refreshing even from a today's perspective, his philosophy of historical predetermination and spirit seems a bit weird.

In the months to come I'll be reading a bunch of contemporary German literature for my classes. Until then, I'll give E.T.A. Hoffmann a shot.

Peter Zagreus

« Reply #1988 on: April 25, 2014, 07:54:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I couldn't finish that hoe.

Edit*

« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 08:05:43 PM by Peter Zagreus »

Mr. Lono

• Fl NC CO
« Reply #1989 on: April 25, 2014, 08:08:10 PM »
I'm thinking about ordering a Norman Mailer book. Yous guys got any suggestions as to which one would be a good introduction or his best
Charlie don't skate

Chris Hansen is back

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 780
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1990 on: April 25, 2014, 09:57:19 PM »
Why bother reading him when you can watch him fight Rip Torn?

Rip Torn vs Norman Mailer - the infamous "Maidstone" brawl - UNCUT!

Mr. Lono

• Fl NC CO
« Reply #1991 on: April 25, 2014, 10:22:34 PM »
Why bother reading him when you can watch him fight Rip Torn?

Rip Torn vs Norman Mailer - the infamous "Maidstone" brawl - UNCUT!

HOLY FUCKING SHIT! I was interested in Mailer's letters between him and John Fante.(shit is crazy expensive) Still don't know if his writing is good or if it is just people being pretentious assholes that bring up his name. Fante being the man who inspired Bukowski. Bukowski got the dog shit kicked out of him on a regular basis but that was somehow an admirable trait because you didn't expect ol chinaski to get any glory. Thank you very much Chris Hansen is back and i salute your return. I will change my question to...where can i find a Rip Torn book. Patches Ohoolahan fucked shit up on the hurry up.
On another note John Fante is a great author and Bandini is one of my favorite literary figures.
The wifes reaction brought back memories of some hysterical Girlfriend/wife trying to scratch my fuckin eyeballs out too. CHEERS
Charlie don't skate

Mr. Lono

• Fl NC CO
« Reply #1992 on: April 25, 2014, 10:25:16 PM »
Rip Torn appreciation thread?
Charlie don't skate

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
« Reply #1993 on: April 26, 2014, 12:14:16 AM »
Just finished bram stockers dracula. Probably gonna start reading lair of the white worm next.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
« Reply #1994 on: April 28, 2014, 06:22:42 PM »
Picked up my first Kerouac book, On The Road, at a used bookstore.  I'm not too far in, but I love it so far.  As a Canuck, it only deepens my fascination with the US.  How massive it is, all the different types of people, history, natural landmarks, etc. 

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #1995 on: April 29, 2014, 10:58:38 AM »
Picked up my first Kerouac book, On The Road, at a used bookstore.  I'm not too far in, but I love it so far.  As a Canuck, it only deepens my fascination with the US.  How massive it is, all the different types of people, history, natural landmarks, etc.  

Yes, that book is pretty cool!

Irvine Welsh is fucking funny! If only I could find it in english, that would double the fun.
I'm finishing Ecstasy, what is your favorite book of his (besides the obvious one) you'd suggest?
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

5barsdeep

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1996 on: May 04, 2014, 08:33:54 AM »
Reading Goldfinch by Donna Tartt and finishing up Storm of Swords by GRR Martin. Recommend them both highly.

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1997 on: May 06, 2014, 09:32:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
Slowly for maximum absorption. I do tend to understate things. Clearly it's a great read.

Ollie Ringwald

• Rep: -3
« Reply #1998 on: May 07, 2014, 11:34:15 AM »
Reading Goldfinch by Donna Tartt

Just started this, seems really good so far.

Pelican

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 252
« Reply #1999 on: May 07, 2014, 05:08:15 PM »
rachel kushner -- the flamethrowers

bola?o -- 2666

Stab n Kill

• Rep: 3
« Reply #2000 on: May 07, 2014, 08:02:44 PM »
Has anyone read Prodigy's autobiography "My Infamous Life?"

A Not At All Naughty Chemist

• Rep: 35
« Reply #2001 on: May 08, 2014, 05:45:39 AM »
So far i've read:

The Art of Happiness - Tenzin Gyatso (Dalai Lama) and Howard Cutler  Would recommend
Hagakure (The Way of the Samurai) - Yamamoto Tsunemoto  Would recommend
Rashomon and Seventeen other stories - Ryūnosuke Akutagawa

Currently reading:

Notes from the Underground - Fyodor Dostoevsky
Tao of Gung Fu - Bruce Lee

After i'm done with those i will read Zen and the Art of Archery. After that i'll probably visit the bookstore again, maybe get Mike Oldfield's biography, or American Psycho (Though i'm not very fond of fiction)

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #2002 on: May 08, 2014, 09:29:09 AM »
i borrowed keith richards biography but i haven't started it yet. i will say that mick jagger's biography was through the roof, nonstop, balls and dick to the walls! that dude fucked every hot broad from his era through angelina jolie and most men too [clapton, bowie, brian jones, a bunch i don't remember]. wilt chamberlain's numbers ain't got shit on mick. carly simon wrote 'you're so vain' about him and some of his songs were about dudes [angie, i believe] dude was the most fucking-est man in show business. hopefully the keith richards book is better cause i feel like he's the more relatable stone.
I realise you posted this a long time ago but I stumbled across it and didn't Carly Simon eventually say that Your so Vain was written mostly in reference to Warren Beatty? Also "Angie" I believe was involving Bowie but also a weird wife/husband swapping thing they all had going on at the time.

shark tits

« Reply #2003 on: May 08, 2014, 09:44:07 AM »
Expand Quote
i borrowed keith richards biography but i haven't started it yet. i will say that mick jagger's biography was through the roof, nonstop, balls and dick to the walls! that dude fucked every hot broad from his era through angelina jolie and most men too [clapton, bowie, brian jones, a bunch i don't remember]. wilt chamberlain's numbers ain't got shit on mick. carly simon wrote 'you're so vain' about him and some of his songs were about dudes [angie, i believe] dude was the most fucking-est man in show business. hopefully the keith richards book is better cause i feel like he's the more relatable stone.
[close]
I realise you posted this a long time ago but I stumbled across it and didn't Carly Simon eventually say that Your so Vain was written mostly in reference to Warren Beatty? Also "Angie" I believe was involving Bowie but also a weird wife/husband swapping thing they all had going on at the time.
for carly simon, maybe so but this was mick's biography. as for the bowie thing, it was pretty clear the he was 'angie' not his wife.

Mr. Lono

• Fl NC CO
« Reply #2004 on: May 08, 2014, 01:35:36 PM »
So far i've read:

The Art of Happiness - Tenzin Gyatso (Dalai Lama) and Howard Cutler  Would recommend

Currently reading:

After i'm done with those i will read Zen and the Art of Archery. After that i'll probably visit the bookstore again, maybe get Mike Oldfield's biography, or American Psycho (Though i'm not very fond of fiction)

Notes from the underground is one of my favorites. The first sentence is great. I suggest The House of the Dead by Dostoyevsky too if you don't like fiction. It's about his time in a Serbian prison
Charlie don't skate

Powdered Toast Man!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
  • (aka mex.ceferino)
« Reply #2005 on: May 08, 2014, 01:40:19 PM »

power of choice

I just want everyone to know that I'm only 32.8% skateboarder, and that's on a good day. The rest is just soy and cum.

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #2006 on: May 08, 2014, 02:17:23 PM »
Expand Quote
So far i've read:

Currently reading:

[close]

Notes from the underground is one of my favorites. The first sentence is great. I suggest The House of the Dead by Dostoyevsky too if you don't like fiction. It's about his time in a Siberian prison

Mr. Lono

• Fl NC CO
« Reply #2007 on: May 08, 2014, 08:11:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
So far i've read:

Currently reading:

[close]

Notes from the underground is one of my favorites. The first sentence is great. I suggest The House of the Dead by Dostoyevsky too if you don't like fiction. It's about his time in a Siberian prison
[close]
my bad. Big difference
Charlie don't skate

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 379
« Reply #2008 on: May 10, 2014, 10:59:20 AM »
Expand Quote
I have not, but I've had several friends that have.  I'm waiting until I read his first novel before I start on Infinite Jest because I'm still ambivalent about DFW as a fiction writer.  I have done similarly structured and really long/dense books before and I've found that it's very helpful to set daily goals to get through the length.  Like, give yourself three months and figure out how many pages you have to read per day to finish in that time.  That way, if a section is dragging, you can tell yourself, "I only have 10 more pages to read today." instead of "This is taking forever and I still have 900 pages to read."
[close]

His first novel is a lot harder to get through, a lot less rewarding and generally worse than infinite jest.

Infinte jest is actually pretty fun to read for a lot of the time.

If you have read some of his essays and and short stories and like them then you'll like infinite jest - its one of the best reading experiences I've had

I still decided to go through The Broom of the System first and it's not taking too long.  I'm almost done with Part One after about three or four days of reading.  It's just very transparent if you know anything about DFW.  I've listened to a lot of his interviews (none of which really touch on The Broom of the System) and read all of his non-fiction collections, so that makes it a little obvious, but the book is very clearly written by an ambitious young adult.  You can tell he is just getting into Pynchon and wants to write like him, but throws in a few curve balls so you can't say he is just copying him, you can tell that he is obsessed with Wittgenstein and linguistic philosophy, and you can tell he has dabbled in therapy and is annoyed by Freud/psychoanalysis and the role-playing and therapeutic games/techniques that they use.  It's not a difficult read if you have any experiences with his influences and you can definitely see what he's going for, but he's not successful at it and you're right--it isn't very rewarding.

To be honest, unless Infinite Jest is exponentially better than The Broom of the System and his short stories, I just might not be convinced of DFW's prowess as a fiction writer.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 12:04:11 PM by oyolar »

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #2009 on: May 10, 2014, 04:02:26 PM »
kilgore about to come in here and falcon punch you