Author Topic: books to read  (Read 431262 times)

shark tits

Re: books to read
« Reply #2070 on: July 30, 2014, 11:05:53 PM »
read 'zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance' in jail in florida cause i remembered seeing it in my parent's shelf as a kid. fuckin come to find out my dad never read it and damned if that wasn't one of the worst books i ever suffered through.

A Not At All Naughty Chemist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 35
« Reply #2071 on: July 31, 2014, 03:35:50 AM »
This is great

Nick

• Rep: 0
« Reply #2072 on: July 31, 2014, 07:53:57 AM »

for any enthusiast of (specifically American, which of course is a conglomerate of myriad sources) history and the origins of American jazz, I sincerely recommend this multi-dimensional chronicle of the formative youth of Charlie Parker. Stanley Crouch's prose is exciting and the topics are so keenly introduced and fortified with historical background that the story biographically told is resounded with an insight to the feelings of the book's subjects and their fraught/insurgent circumstances of the past. or something like that- each scene of music nights at the Savoy and Kansas dusty afternoons seem vibrant and emotionally present; its a great read and I've only read a few chapters in. the book seems insightful of an orchestral destiny, as if recognizing what happened and understanding that the music of the future is resultant, which isn't the absolute definition of what destiny may mean to a curious individual, but nonetheless, the book seems to portray that musical, cool and punctual knowledge of history which is emotionally sensitive, too.

Greg Road

« Reply #2073 on: August 02, 2014, 09:55:59 PM »
This is great

It's amazing how Ellis combined bizarre humor with ultra violence - I love this book because it's completely insane

Greg Road

« Reply #2074 on: August 02, 2014, 09:57:49 PM »

I loved this book! The build and suspense is pretty intense - it was wrapped up pretty quick and neat in the end but still good. I should read this again.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #2075 on: August 03, 2014, 01:57:33 AM »
bought a few new Roberto Bolano books, they were released posthumously so they may not be quite like his other stuff (which I like, 2666, The Savage Detectives, etc). I like sci fi and Bruce Sterling, I'm about halfway through this one right now, cyberpunk goodness

« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 02:00:20 AM by botefdunn »

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2076 on: August 03, 2014, 05:21:10 PM »
^You should get into Neal Stephenson.

A proper big concept kind of a writer and very humorous.

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #2077 on: August 04, 2014, 01:19:30 PM »

Just finished this one. 100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
I had never heard of the author or book. But he died a few months ago and I saw a story about him on the news. The book is supposed to be a major classic. And his finest work. In Colombia (where he was born) and Mexico (where he lived), he is regarded as a national hero. So I decided to check it out.
According to the back cover (NY Times Book Review) this is the first piece of literature since the book of Genesis that should be required reading for the entire human race. Maybe a little too much hype. Which usually leads to being disappointed.
I enjoyed it for the most part. He has a nice flow. The parts dealing with "magic" as an everyday reality are fun. But, I ended up feeling sorry for most of the characters instead of rooting for them. A lot of loneliness. And incest.
I put in a request for another of his books, No One Writes to the Colonel. Because I did like the way he writes.

kilgore.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2078 on: August 04, 2014, 08:35:55 PM »
No holds barred, til labias say "free us"
then its straight to your kids' school, wine coolers in the Prius

shark tits

« Reply #2079 on: August 16, 2014, 07:35:00 PM »
i'm currently digging 'decoded' by jay-z. it's sorta like that rap genius website but jigga man's a lot smarter and more worldly than one might think. or maybe its known fact cause he's  so successful. for anyways, check it out if you're into that sort of thing.

Rusty Shackleford

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
  • you know about goretex?
« Reply #2080 on: August 16, 2014, 07:38:48 PM »

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 131
« Reply #2081 on: August 17, 2014, 04:58:53 PM »

Just finished this one. 100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
I had never heard of the author or book. But he died a few months ago and I saw a story about him on the news. The book is supposed to be a major classic. And his finest work. In Colombia (where he was born) and Mexico (where he lived), he is regarded as a national hero. So I decided to check it out.
According to the back cover (NY Times Book Review) this is the first piece of literature since the book of Genesis that should be required reading for the entire human race. Maybe a little too much hype. Which usually leads to being disappointed.
I enjoyed it for the most part. He has a nice flow. The parts dealing with "magic" as an everyday reality are fun. But, I ended up feeling sorry for most of the characters instead of rooting for them. A lot of loneliness. And incest.
I put in a request for another of his books, No One Writes to the Colonel. Because I did like the way he writes.

I finished this a few weeks ago, and I chose to read it for the same reason haha. It's great, but man did it get annoying at times trying to keep up with all the characters that had similar/the same names.

I'm currently making my second round with this:

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #2082 on: August 17, 2014, 06:22:03 PM »
I like always having something to read, so once in awhile I spend an afternoon at a good used place and buy a bunch. Just put these on the In shelf.

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #2083 on: August 17, 2014, 10:47:46 PM »

Read this as a high school lad and reread it last week. Just as amazing as I remember. Satan gets cast out of heaven down to Earth and writes back to Michael and Gabriel about humans' foolish notions of God and heaven. Great satire on Christian orthodoxy and the human race in general.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 379
« Reply #2084 on: August 18, 2014, 08:18:36 AM »
A Cook's Tour by Anthony Bourdain.  I needed a slightly less serious/intensive book after some deeper and difficult ones.

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 131
« Reply #2085 on: August 18, 2014, 05:21:39 PM »
A Cook's Tour by Anthony Bourdain.  I needed a slightly less serious/intensive book after some deeper and difficult ones.

How is it? I like his shows, and he seems like he'd have an interesting past.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2086 on: August 18, 2014, 06:14:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

How is it? I like his shows, and he seems like he'd have an interesting past.

It's pretty good.  This one really isn't about his past though.  For that, you'd want to read Kitchen Confidential.  This is about him dealing with the success of KC as well as a "behind the scenes" travelogue of the first season of his Food Network show that eventually morphed into No Reservations.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2087 on: August 25, 2014, 11:24:56 AM »
Starting My Struggle Book 1 by Knausgaard.  I'm excited to see how well it lives up to what everyone has said.

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2088 on: August 28, 2014, 12:55:35 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I recommend this book to everyone who skates, it's only 100 pages and has the possibility to improve and change your perspective on skateboarding as a whole. 

Just finished this. It was good. I had heard it recommended somewhere sometime probably 15 years ago. Never checked it out until you refreshed my memory. Thanks.
Another book along the same vein, kind of; maybe a couple aisles over in a bookstore; is The War of Art by Steven Pressfield.  I read that a few months ago and enjoyed it.

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2089 on: August 28, 2014, 01:06:52 PM »

An Experiment in Misery by Stephen Crane.
9 short stories by the author of The Red Badge of Courage.
The title story and 8 others.
I had heard good things about "The Open Boat" & "The Blue Hotel". They did not disappoint. Especially Hotel.
"The Monster" was another terrific one.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #2090 on: September 02, 2014, 12:32:55 PM »

Read these two on my recent fire roll.

Started reading this too:

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

_UniversalTruth_

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #2091 on: September 03, 2014, 05:03:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

I recommend this book to everyone who skates, it's only 100 pages and has the possibility to improve and change your perspective on skateboarding as a whole. 
[close]
Reminds me of this:

Just finished this. It was good. I had heard it recommended somewhere sometime probably 15 years ago. Never checked it out until you refreshed my memory. Thanks.
Another book along the same vein, kind of; maybe a couple aisles over in a bookstore; is The War of Art by Steven Pressfield.  I read that a few months ago and enjoyed it.
i likes skooterboarding.. be lets friends :)

Rockin Robbin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 416
« Reply #2092 on: September 08, 2014, 06:15:16 PM »

There is some genuinely crazy shit in this book. Very well written, as well.

I read the whole thing in one sitting.
"Bake me a pie of love" - Steve Winwood

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2093 on: September 09, 2014, 04:51:15 PM »
After finishing Anathem I wasn't sure what to read so I picked up The Brothers Karamazov

One of those literary classics that everyone's got to read at least once right?

As for nonfiction, I'm reading Jaron Lanier's Who Owns the Future?

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2094 on: September 10, 2014, 09:03:03 AM »
Been a while since this thread has come up.

Just finished this. Thanks for the recommendation. First thing of his I've read.
I recently saw someone brought in a first edition of Lolita on Pawn Stars. That, and your rec convinced me to give him a try.
The Slap message board and Pawn Stars; my two main literary resources.
Nabokov is really a master of setting the scene. So much so that the majority of the book is just that.
There is not a part 2 of this book, right? I want to know what happened to Martin. Did he complete his mission? Did he ever get the girl?
There was so much build up; then the book just ends. I enjoyed it though.
Despair by Nabokov sounds pretty good. I think I will give that one a try after the books I'm currently reading.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2095 on: September 10, 2014, 09:34:35 AM »
Despair is pretty good.  I've read almost all of Nabokov's works.  I have maybe 3 of his novels left so I'm planning on finishing all of them by early next year.  There is not a second part to the novel but in all honesty I don't think there needs to be.  What's unique about Nabokov is he isn't very concerned with plot in almost all of his works.  He wrote his pieces focusing mainly on aesthetic quality and appreciation, so he develops plot lines and characters based on how well they contribute to that goal and used them accordingly.  That's why he spends so much time on setting up scenes and details.  He's trying to make a fully realized world and reality in his books, regardless of the actual minutiae of what happens within them.  What blows my mind about him is that in lesser hands, this lack of focus would be distracting or a failure but he makes it work.  His best novels are heads and shoulders above other people's and even his less successful novels are pieces that most authors would be more than happy to have produced. 

That said, he'll also place subtle hints, themes, and motifs to what happens to his characters after the story has ended that it is often difficult to notice upon a first reading.  If you read Glory again, I'm sure you'll figure out the implied ending based on Martin's previous life and experiences. 

I think what really blew me away with Glory was Nabokov's deft use of time in it.  He always messes around with time and linearity, but this novel was insane in its technicality and flow.

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2096 on: September 10, 2014, 02:54:04 PM »
I may get into Nabokov after I finish Brothers Karamazov and Blood Meridian (which I've yet to read)

The trade paperback editions of Nabokov by Vintage Books are seriously tempting propositions just from now nice they look and feel.

Would def impress some chicks seeing some of those books scattered around my coffee table

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2097 on: September 10, 2014, 04:43:54 PM »
They do look nice, although I prefer the previous editions' covers just because I start buying a lot of Nabokov in those editions and I tried to keep it consistent.  Luckily, the other covers look awesome too even though it's a completely different direction.

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #2098 on: September 10, 2014, 09:51:47 PM »
ill murray, can you remind me why you think im a kook

Red

• Rep: 51
« Reply #2099 on: September 11, 2014, 05:21:33 AM »
They do look nice, although I prefer the previous editions' covers just because I start buying a lot of Nabokov in those editions and I tried to keep it consistent.  Luckily, the other covers look awesome too even though it's a completely different direction.

Ah man, this is an ongoing pet peeve of mine. Seriously considering re-purchasing a few Bukowski's for that exact reason.