Author Topic: books to read  (Read 431096 times)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
Re: books to read
« Reply #2430 on: February 28, 2016, 10:44:55 PM »

Light read, kind of a punk classic, gothic horror meets anarchopunk esthetic, or something like that. Not the greatest writing, but enjoyable.

Was actually reading reviews of this the other day and am contemplating getting myself a copy.

Expand Quote
Dont know if this has been already posted here but i just finished this and it is simply amazing, I love Vonnegut.

[close]
So it goes.

Did LOL

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Tufty

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -26
« Reply #2431 on: February 29, 2016, 03:23:18 AM »
Went for a buisiness trip in UK. Read that on plane. Wilhelm Reich is my favorite.

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #2432 on: February 29, 2016, 04:24:39 AM »
Went for a buisiness trip in UK. Read that on plane. Wilhelm Reich is my favorite.

Note: This is no the actual book cover

I want something light to read, some fiction, just so I can chill somehow. I'm going to the library today and see what's what.

Tufty

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2433 on: February 29, 2016, 04:26:08 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I want something light to read, some fiction, just so I can chill somehow. I'm going to the library today and see what's what.
Well I read it in greek so I posted a random cover in English

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #2434 on: February 29, 2016, 06:53:09 AM »
It says so in the pic. I had to squint to see the little fine print, so I wanted to share my effort with the world. Greek must be a great language to know.

Tufty

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2435 on: February 29, 2016, 07:44:04 AM »
It says so in the pic. I had to squint to see the little fine print, so I wanted to share my effort with the world. Greek must be a great language to know.
Well I dont know I am a native speaker. Ancient greek though are a pain in the ass. We did that at school, god I hated it.

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #2436 on: February 29, 2016, 08:29:27 AM »
Expand Quote
And C�line is dope. Journey to the End of the Night and Death on the Installment plan are some of my favorites. He's unlike anyone else.
[close]
that's a pretty good endorsement. my dad a has a celine book, ill see if i can borrow it. dont know what it is.

Finally got my hands on Journey to the End of the Night and finished it yesterday. I get all my books at the library. For years I would search for this book. Mainly due to Bukowski mentioning it in almost all his books. But they never had any copies. Then, I looked again, months ago, and it was finally in. 1 copy. And there was a waiting list.
I enjoyed it. It was depressing; insightful at times, in a depressing pessimistic way; funny at others.
I searched and they don't have Death on the Installment Plan. But I did put in a request for Fable for Another Time just to check out some more of Celine's work.

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Rep: -8
« Reply #2437 on: February 29, 2016, 01:32:06 PM »
I'm 300 pages into Master and Margarita and I'm really liking it so far. Even though the novel's first scene is nothing but great - there's a reason it's one of the most iconic beginnings in literature - I like the novel better now (after 300 pages) than I did at the beginning (after let's say 100 pages). That's mostly because for me personally, characters and character development are really important. While I loved the overall narrative from the very beginning, I felt like I didn't get to know as much about the characters as I wanted to. The different members of the Soviet literary elite felt too formulaic. I mean, I get it, the whole novel is a satire of Moscow in the 1930s, but still, it felt like every character was the same. About 300 pages in, the book starts to add more depth to the characters (e.g., Asasello). Margarita's introduction to the plot helped a lot, too! I'm looking forward to the last 150 pages now.  :)

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #2438 on: February 29, 2016, 01:38:26 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I am reading "The Hotel New Hampshire" by John Irving right now. It is funny, absurd and at times quit sad. The story is about a Familiy and it takes place in the fifties in New England and in Vienna. Definitely entertaining and an easy read.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2439 on: March 02, 2016, 08:24:45 PM »
  In praise of older woman,  this is a book I read and enjoyed. Can't say that it's good considering how little I've read in terms of books.  I started to read catch me if you can (?) but it lacked feeling so I didnt finish it.  I was on a Nin kick for a minute.   I bought Prousts thing In search of lost Time but havent gotten around to it yet.  Has anyone read that?
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

N.L.

« Reply #2440 on: March 02, 2016, 10:06:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
And C�line is dope. Journey to the End of the Night and Death on the Installment plan are some of my favorites. He's unlike anyone else.
[close]
that's a pretty good endorsement. my dad a has a celine book, ill see if i can borrow it. dont know what it is.
[close]

Finally got my hands on Journey to the End of the Night and finished it yesterday. I get all my books at the library. For years I would search for this book. Mainly due to Bukowski mentioning it in almost all his books. But they never had any copies. Then, I looked again, months ago, and it was finally in. 1 copy. And there was a waiting list.
I enjoyed it. It was depressing; insightful at times, in a depressing pessimistic way; funny at others.
I searched and they don't have Death on the Installment Plan. But I did put in a request for Fable for Another Time just to check out some more of Celine's work.

"Journey..." Was a good one. I have to admit I read it b/c Julien Stranger listed it on his top 5 CrailTap's books to read:

I think I'd read the rest beforehand but check it out, he has good taste.

http://crailtap.com/c3/feature_features/fives/top_5_julien_stranger.html

« Reply #2441 on: March 19, 2016, 01:09:06 PM »
Right now, I'm halfway through Giovanni's Room by James Baldwin. It's what you call a LGBT classic. It's about an American who's living a bohemian lifestyle in Paris in the 1920s. Yup, classic Hemingway or Henry Miller setting. However, this one's a little different. The protagonist, who's about to marry his girfriend, has an affair with an Italian bartender called Giovanni, finds out he's homosexual and shit hits the fan. Giovanni's Room is full of amazing little insights and even if the theme isn't your thing, I'm sure this novel offers something to everybody. Really, really good stuff!

After that, it'll be time for some non-fiction again. I went to a reading last week and bought a copy of the book right after, because the reading was amazing, the author seemed like a genuinely cool dude, and the topic is fascinating. Basically, it's a book about youth cultures and opposition in Nazi Germany. Now, most people will be surprised to hear this (I was too), but in Nazi Germany, youth cultures similar to Punks or Hip Hop existed. They had their own music, dress and lifestyle, opposed the Nazi government, partied hard, and gave the Hitler Youth a beating every now and then. Pretty amazing actually. I'm really looking forward to this book!

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2442 on: March 19, 2016, 01:17:13 PM »
That Nazi resistance book sounds awesome.  Do you know if it is out in English yet?

« Reply #2443 on: March 19, 2016, 01:35:00 PM »
That Nazi resistance book sounds awesome.  Do you know if it is out in English yet?

Unfortunately, it's not and I'm sure it won't be  :-[ It's a really small publication and the topic is very specific to a German context. But I'll look into it and let you know if it is!

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
« Reply #2444 on: March 19, 2016, 03:45:45 PM »
What do you guys think is the best method for reading books on say an iphone or iPad. What app and what format should the books file be any help would be appreciated.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2593
« Reply #2445 on: March 19, 2016, 06:51:36 PM »

One prominent German historian wrote a book about everyday life in Nazi Germany:

http://www.amazon.com/Inside-Nazi-Germany-Conformity-Opposition/dp/0300044801/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1458437741&sr=1-2

It has a few sections about the various opposition youth movements in Germany.

There's also this film about teens listening to "black music" in Nazi Germany:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108265/?ref_=nv_sr_2
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2446 on: March 19, 2016, 10:26:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Unfortunately, it's not and I'm sure it won't be  :-[ It's a really small publication and the topic is very specific to a German context. But I'll look into it and let you know if it is!

Damn that sucks. I'm not a WW2 buff or anything by any means but I'm interested in sociology of deviancy and subcultures so it's right up my alley.

Alan--thanks for sharin those sources!  I'll have to look into them.

« Reply #2447 on: March 20, 2016, 03:04:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Damn that sucks. I'm not a WW2 buff or anything by any means but I'm interested in sociology of deviancy and subcultures so it's right up my alley.

Sorry about that. I guess Alan's books are as close as it gets as far as English publications on subcultures in Nazi Germany are concerned.

How are you liking The Savage Detectives?

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1214
« Reply #2448 on: March 20, 2016, 05:37:39 AM »
Expand Quote

I'm liking Bola�o a lot so far.  I just started the second section, but haven't had as much time to really dig into it as I would like this past week or two.
[close]

Nice. I'm glad to hear that. One of the best parts about the second section is that you can just get in and out of it whenever you want.

Disclaimer: the second section is usually the most tiresome for readers. It shouldn't be too hard for someone who's into authors like Joyce and Pynchon, but it's a weird section anyway. Try to keep loose track of what happens to Belano and Lima. Enjoy the interviews you find interesting and don't hesitate to skip over the ones you don't. Don't worry, some of them will make sense in the end and some of them won't. It's interesting to keep the genre of the detective story in mind for this section and what the book does with it...

hyped bola�o is getting love, savage detecitves hooked me
2666 is next on the list
good call on pynchon, was just discussing him with my brother recently

currently reading To Our Friends
published in eight different languages on four different continents, written by the invisible committee(collective of authors)
this book will fire you up, and give you loads to talk about. i would love to discuss it here with you all

https://theanarchistlibrary.org/library/the-invisible-committe-to-our-friends
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 05:56:08 AM by smellsdead »

7 year old

« Reply #2449 on: March 20, 2016, 11:30:37 AM »
been reading Gravity's Rainbow, about 150 pages in and really enjoying it.
not sure i have the brainpower to follow all of the different characters, but the segments of the intersecting plots have been enjoyable just as individual pieces even if i cant really put them together.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2450 on: March 20, 2016, 01:47:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Sorry about that. I guess Alan's books are as close as it gets as far as English publications on subcultures in Nazi Germany are concerned.

How are you liking The Savage Detectives?

I'm really liking it.  Annoyed that I haven't been able to dedicate as much consistent time just sitting and reading it but definitely enjoying it when I get the chance to and am picking it up whenever I get the chance.  I bought a copy of Amulet by Bolaño recently so I'll be reading that soon and I'm going to get 2666 pretty soon too.

smellsdead: That sounds super interesting so I'll try and read that too when I can.

7YO: That's the way to do it with most Pynchon, but especially GR.  I have to reread that soon but trying to just keep a general idea of who people are, what's going on is the best bet.  If I remember correctly, Wikipedia has a pretty detailed summary of just the plot if you feel really lost and I cannot emphasize how much the Pynchon Wiki helps explain allusions, references, technical details, characters, etc without giving spoilers or analysis (which is generally difficult to find when looking stuff up on books): http://pynchonwiki.com

7 year old

« Reply #2451 on: March 20, 2016, 03:54:32 PM »
cool oyolar, im not going to check out that link while im reading it (i like trying to figure out allusions/references etc. on my own) , but when im done im definitely going to want to know what i missed or was wrong about.

i think i have the basic facts of the plot down. i read sort of a discouraging comment online saying that Pynchon was really fucked up when he was writing it and that he himself couldnt entirely figure it out anymore.
wicked writing either way.

Eric ricks

« Reply #2452 on: March 20, 2016, 04:23:00 PM »
Rewrite is a good read if your into pyschology

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #2453 on: March 20, 2016, 04:34:47 PM »
What do you guys think is the best method for reading books on say an iphone or iPad. What app and what format should the books file be any help would be appreciated.

I'm sure someone will have a more constructive and helpful response, but as someone who has tried various formats on various devices over the years, I never felt I found a format that provided as inspiring and engrossing an experience as paper. I think it might be something about staring into a lightbulb that just doesn't lend itself to the same level of concentration as observing a page illuminated indirectly, who knows. Good luck.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #2454 on: March 20, 2016, 05:14:55 PM »
I use the kindle paper white. It's really good when I'm out working in the forest for 14 days straight. Less bulk to carry around, and I can read without a light on, so I don't disturb any one else in camp.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

7 year old

« Reply #2455 on: March 21, 2016, 02:29:46 PM »
what dont you like about the Woolf book?
i've been wanting to read To the Lighthouse, but ive been hesitating cause im not sure if im the right demographic.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #2456 on: March 21, 2016, 04:04:09 PM »
I liked to the lighthouse, would recommend it.

asakusa75

« Reply #2457 on: March 21, 2016, 06:40:49 PM »
I use the kindle paper white. It's really good when I'm out working in the forest for 14 days straight. Less bulk to carry around, and I can read without a light on, so I don't disturb any one else in camp.

What if the battery runs out...?

Eric ricks

« Reply #2458 on: March 21, 2016, 06:49:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What if the battery runs out...?

Im guessing company truck( like myself)

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #2459 on: March 21, 2016, 10:04:18 PM »
Yes, the federal gubmnt has no shortage of vehicles.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.