Author Topic: books to read  (Read 431301 times)

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -8
Re: books to read
« Reply #2490 on: May 18, 2016, 09:16:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I've been meaning to read Zadie Smith and it seems like White Teeth is the book I always see people mention when web she is brought up.  What you describe regarding the relationships of Muslims and other members of society is really interesting and it's definitely a stark reminder of how much societies and perceptions can drastically change in a relatively short period of time.  Let me know what you think when you finish it.

My reading has slowed down a little lately.  I've just felt like I've been forcing myself to read instead of just picking up a book. I tried to mix in some sociology work by Howie Becker, but could not get into it. I'm about 115 pages into Knausgaard's book 4 right now and feeling ok. I have the goal of finishing by the end of the month so hopefully will be able to knock it out. I like Knausgaard because even those his books are long and there is a lot beneath the surface, a lot of the actual text can be kind of surface level and mundane so it's easy to just get into a flow and read at points without having to use a lot of effort or exerting yourself to get what is going on.
[close]

Same here. I haven't read any of her other novels, but I gathered that White Teeth is both Smith at her best and the most logical starting point. I mean, it's the book that put her on the map in the first place. I'm really really liking it so far. It's funny, quirky but also very serious at times.

Again, we're in the same boat. Took me a month to finish that book about youth cultures during the 3rd reich. These kinds of periods come and go.
[close]

Zadie Smith is awesome, one of my favourite writers. I read The Autograph Man first up, but White Teeth is my favourite. On Beauty is excellent, as well as NW. Read them all. She is also smoking hot and I say this in the most respectful way possible.

I just finished Moby Dick. It was a slog in parts and took me probably 4 months to finish, but immediately slots into my top 10. Definitely worth the effort and surprisingly funny.

Nice! Yeah, I'm really liking White Teeth so far. What's your personal recommendation? So far I'm leaning towards NW, because it got rave reviews, but I'm not really sure.

I'll definitely pick up another Smith novel soon, but I'll be reading Ivo Andric's The Bridge on the Drina next. I'm taking a trip through the Balkans this summer and I guess Andric is compulsory reading.

@ Alan: You're Croatian, right? You got recommendations for readings (novels, short stories, or non-fiction doesn't really matter...) on the region?

7 year old

« Reply #2491 on: May 18, 2016, 05:51:06 PM »
thanks 20matar and Alan.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2592
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2492 on: May 18, 2016, 06:36:50 PM »
You got recommendations for readings (novels, short stories, or non-fiction doesn't really matter...) on the region?

So the writers I like haven't been translated to English or German. However, there are a couple of newer generation guys who are on my to-read list and who have had their works translated into German: Miljenko Jergovic and Zoran Feric. Check out the synopses of their stuff, I'm sure you'll find something good!

Also, Danilo Kis is worth checking out.

Edit: Slavenka Drakulic for non fiction. I liked this from her http://www.amazon.de/Wie-wir-den-Kommunismus-%C3%BCberstanden/dp/3871340197/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1463622196&sr=1-6&keywords=slavenka+drakulic
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 06:49:33 PM by Alan »
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 131
« Reply #2493 on: May 19, 2016, 10:10:10 AM »
I'll definitely pick up another Smith novel soon, but I'll be reading Ivo Andric's The Bridge on the Drina next. I'm taking a trip through the Balkans this summer and I guess Andric is compulsory reading.

@ Alan: You're Croatian, right? You got recommendations for readings (novels, short stories, or non-fiction doesn't really matter...) on the region?

The Bridge on the Drina is a great book - really makes you see how crazy the history of the Balkans has been over the centuries. The Damned Yard is a good one by him as well. The Balkans have plenty of great, unique experiences to offer. I would also definitely recommend seeking out restaurants that serve traditional food, but take it easy on the kajmak and rakija hahaha.

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1214
« Reply #2494 on: May 19, 2016, 06:57:58 PM »

so very tasty

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 379
« Reply #2495 on: May 19, 2016, 07:35:44 PM »
Good choice.

« Reply #2496 on: May 20, 2016, 07:13:54 AM »
@ Alan: Thanks for the recommendations! I'll make sure to look into those! I went to the bookstore the other day and the guy working there recommended a book by this author Edo Popovic. Does that name ring a bell? Any good?

@ Haha, thanks man! I'll check out The Bridge on the Drina first, but I'll keep that one in my mind. So looking forward to that trip!

Since we're at it, another book I can recommend is How the Soldier Repairs the Gramophone by German-Bosnian author Sasa Stanisic. Pretty much the best book published in German since forever.

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #2497 on: May 20, 2016, 08:51:22 AM »
Any of you guys collect those NYRB Classics books? I blind bought a couple of titles used on Amazon (all were under 5.00 a piece before shipping)

I got

Exploits and Adventures of Brigadier Gerard - Arthur Conan Doyle

The Year of the French - Thomas Flanagan

The Long Ships - Frans G. Bengtsson

These are definitely some of the nicer paperbacks I've handled, I think the outside is coated with acrylic or something so they don't really crease. That's an innovation I wish a lot more paperbacks adopted

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #2498 on: May 20, 2016, 11:23:46 AM »
You could just slap that clear adhesive paper on the cover. I used to do that.

I'm reading a book on the fall of Constantinople, because why not. The Fall of Constantinople 1453. Without hypens or a colon or whatever. By Steven Runciman. It's the first time since graduation that I picked up a history book without having to, or without someone pestering me or motivating me to do it. I blame it on the vidya games, those Paradox GRAND strategy games brainwash you into an obsession with the purple.

VURNQUIST, VOV

• Rep: 5
« Reply #2499 on: May 22, 2016, 08:46:00 AM »
Vov's collection of summer reading material, thus far

The Origin of the Work of Art, Letter on Humanism, and the Technology essay in particular.

No homo...

Well argued, but my nigga's metaphors and analogies come off, more often than not, a little on the silly side (though "collecting tattoos and buying curries" is a nice euphemism for "waiting for the revolution").

Some good arguments in there.

My nigga Mark de Silva has a Phd in philosophy from Cambridge and, as it turns out, writes a mean fictional narrative. From the inner jacket:
"Carl Stagg, a writer researching imperial power struggles in 17th century Sri Lanka, ekes out a living as a watchman in a factionalized America where confidence in democracy has eroded. Along his nightly patrol, Stagg finds a beaten prostitute, one in a series of monstrous attacks. Suspicious of his supervisor's intentions, Stagg seeks the truth with a fellow part-time watchman, Ravan, who hails from a family developing storm-dispersal technologies jointly funded by the Indian and American governments. The watchmen's discoveries put a troubling complexion on Stagg's research, giving it new shape and impetus, just as the weather modification project begins to appear less about dispersing storms than weaponizing them."
Fantastic first novel. Buy it.

Haven't started this beauty yet. Marcuse my nigga; R.D. Laing my hitta, my killa. Excited to read Stokely Carmichael's essay. Who the fuck is David Cooper? Don't know, but Vov will read that fuckin essay. All of the book's pieces were presented at "the now legendary Dialectics of Liberation congress, held in London in 1967."

That's all for now, my friends. May the beans of your coffee be organically grown and ethically procured, and may the printed word inspire in you an ecstatic awakening of social awareness.

VURNQUIST, VOV

« Reply #2500 on: May 22, 2016, 09:06:21 AM »
Forgot this one. Quick read. 100 pages in the English translation.

The quote on the cover sums it up pretty well.
Inspiring, despite the depths of its darkness and depravity.

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #2501 on: June 20, 2016, 12:08:43 PM »
Last few months for me.
I got Fable for Another Time to read some more Celine after Journey to the End of the Night. Got about 25 pages into it and gave up. It's just like one big stream of conscious ramble. Decided I did not want to subject myself to that. I usually suffer through things. But not this time.
So I got some more Steinbeck. First Winter of our Discontent. Then I realized I had never read Grapes of Wrath. So, that was next. We only did East of Eden and Mice & Men in high school. I really like Steinbeck. There is not much below the surface. He just comes out and says everything. And I don't need a dictionary beside me.
Then, after a 6 month wait, a copy of Go Set a Watchman, Harper Lee's "lost sequel" to Kill a Mockingbird, finally became available to me at the library. I was #220 in the que when I put in my request. Enjoyed it. Being written in the 50's, it was kind of funny to see how the young, progressive view is still pretty backwards by today's standards.

Tufty

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -26
« Reply #2502 on: June 22, 2016, 12:44:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Title got my interest, but saw it was Marxist, so wouldn't laziness in capitalism just further alienation?

Like from our essence/species-being?
[close]

There's different brands of Marxism, each one being a little different from Marx himself. As far as I know, Lafargue's Marxism is rather unorthodox and his main point is that capitalism and its striving for efficiency and exploitation took away our right to be lazy (or to relax if you will). To oversimplifiy things, alienation is a result of "dull work", not laziness. I've only read excerpts from Lafargue (years ago), but that's what I got from it.

Sorry for the late answer but I am without internet most of the times this month.

Lafarge was actually respected by Lenin, however his wit and his outspoken way of saying things often caused awkward situations even inside the Marxists' camp. The whole book tries to debunk the myth that people are destined by nature to work and to produce. Work is the drag of humanity. We should approach work with the intention of just ensuring the (collectively decided) social functionality and dividing working hours equally among the people with the intention of minimizing work for all. The book is a manifesto and a critique to communists of the time to NOT fight for the right to work but the right to be lazy. To not fight for jobs for all but for free time for all (to spend it as they wish even working if they want too) and a good quality of life.

His writing is very ironic and poetic, however he is right. If you ask me an essential book of marxist thought.  

« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 04:10:11 PM by Tufty »

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #2503 on: July 02, 2016, 11:15:07 AM »

I read this when it first came out, and I don't remember much about it.  Regardless it was a better read the second time around.. this is by far my favorite of the 'interview-punk-memory-lane' books (like American Hardcore and Please Kill Me), so many great interviews and stories.  The Germs are one of those bands that you like when you first get into punk, forget about.. then revisit many years later and remember how awesome they were.

Another re-read, this book is fun as hell and I just pick it up whenever I don't have anything new and just wanna fill some time on my lunch break.  Good reading for people like me who love 60's/70's bubblegum/pop music, or people who are just interested in the music business.

This is a book about some very shitty people.  I've always had an interest in 80's L.A. punk/gang culture, and read some cool stuff about it... but this book is fucked.  Like any tough guy bio, it's hard to know what's true and what's not, and what's being left out (apparently these guys never, EVER lost fights and every other punk gang in LA was scared of them... according to the subject anyways, which is funny cause every article or book I've read on the subject never mentions this gang).  It's an entertaining read, however.... you can blow through it in a few days. It just really sucks to think how these lunkheads basically ruined the entire punk scene, and the author/subjects conversion to Christianity at the end is so frustrating as he doesn't really seem to feel bad about any of his past violence and even enjoys bragging about it.  It does a good job not painting a pretty picture or glorifying the lifestyle, that's for sure.  One of those rare bio's where you end up hating the person the more you understand them.

I'm reaching here... but does anybody have any recommendations for books about 1970's/early 1980's Italy?  Whether it be about stuff like the political climate or Red Brigade, or culture/fashion/music/art.. just anything from that era.  From what I understand that was a very violent/fiery point in Italian history.  Thanks in advance

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 379
« Reply #2504 on: July 02, 2016, 12:38:52 PM »

I'm reaching here... but does anybody have any recommendations for books about 1970's/early 1980's Italy?  Whether it be about stuff like the political climate or Red Brigade, or culture/fashion/music/art.. just anything from that era.  From what I understand that was a very violent/fiery point in Italian history.  Thanks in advance

No recommendations but this sounds crazy and I had no idea.  Let me know if you find anything.

Reading the newest Danielewski volume.  Kinda bummed to find out that it's the only volume being released this year.  What he's trying is super ambitious, but I hope Pantheon can get back to the every six months schedule or else it'll drag on way too long.

Brandon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 291
« Reply #2505 on: July 02, 2016, 08:17:49 PM »
this is currently fucking me up. recommend:

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
« Reply #2506 on: July 10, 2016, 11:45:21 AM »
Anyone here read true crime books?  I've been reading loads of books about the American Mafia lately and am open to any suggestions.  Preferably stuff that doesn't focus on the New York families.
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #2507 on: July 11, 2016, 06:35:09 PM »
Anyone here read true crime books?  I've been reading loads of books about the American Mafia lately and am open to any suggestions.  Preferably stuff that doesn't focus on the New York families.
Read David Simon's book "Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets". It has nothing to do with the mob, but if you've ever watched The Wire, you'll definitely recognize some story lines.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

PC500

• Rep: 6
« Reply #2508 on: July 12, 2016, 09:51:22 AM »
I've just finished The Death of Ivan Ilitch, by Tolstoy. What a harrowing read, the last thing I needed right now. It's the only book that ever frightened me as an adult. There is too much of Ivan in me.

Felt exactly the same man after I read it. Back it up with something feel-good!

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #2509 on: July 13, 2016, 11:06:00 AM »
Just read "Wizard's first Rule" on the recommendation of a truck driver who picked me up hitchhiking. It was pretty good fantasy, but that's not why I'm posting about it: I am posting about it because of the author photo on the inside back cover, which looks like this

I didn't do a thing to it, but it looks so damn weird. Actually very appropriate though, it's pretty much who you'd expect to be at the other end of the pen once you've read the book
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 11:13:10 AM by botefdunn »

PC500

« Reply #2510 on: July 14, 2016, 06:15:26 AM »
Just read "Wizard's first Rule" on the recommendation of a truck driver who picked me up hitchhiking. It was pretty good fantasy, but that's not why I'm posting about it: I am posting about it because of the author photo on the inside back cover, which looks like this

I didn't do a thing to it, but it looks so damn weird. Actually very appropriate though, it's pretty much who you'd expect to be at the other end of the pen once you've read the book

That's amazing. It looks like he's travelling through time, but not moving.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2511 on: July 14, 2016, 10:41:12 AM »

That's amazing. It looks like he's travelling through time, but not moving.

Like Jamiroquai! I think you nailed it.

lickcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200
  • breathcakes
« Reply #2512 on: July 15, 2016, 06:58:17 PM »
I'm finally able to read for leisure now that I'm done with grad school! The first book:

This is my favourite book after Fox in Socks. I love how the fifth graders in here are just like adults, but with a whole lot less beating around the bush. Plus, it has one of my favourite lines: "Call the police if you don't believe me!"

My next book is The Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell, as recommended by some random on Growlr I'll probably never chat with again.

Now that I remember this thread exists, I have a butt-ton of books to check out. Books are fucking neat!

Brick

• Rep: -1
« Reply #2513 on: July 16, 2016, 06:01:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I've just finished The Death of Ivan Ilitch, by Tolstoy. What a harrowing read, the last thing I needed right now. It's the only book that ever frightened me as an adult. There is too much of Ivan in me.
[close]

[close]

I gave the book to my brother, warned him that it will probably fuck him up hardcore... or not. He's the kind of guy who just doesn't seem to overthink anything. Probably doesn't know what despair is. Good for him! I'm looking for a light, fun, feel-good read, so I'd appreciate suggestions.

I'm gearing up to re-read Infinite Jest. Wish me luck, folks! I bought the PT-BR translation as soon as it was available for pre-order, and I really wonder if there's too much that I missed due to the language barrier. It's not the only obstacle, of course, but I can't help but feel I've just skimmed through that Entertainment.

To be fair, the language in that is very dense.  I'm about halfway through it now and I can't seem to put it down.

PC500

« Reply #2514 on: July 19, 2016, 09:24:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I gave the book to my brother, warned him that it will probably fuck him up hardcore... or not. He's the kind of guy who just doesn't seem to overthink anything. Probably doesn't know what despair is. Good for him! I'm looking for a light, fun, feel-good read, so I'd appreciate suggestions.

I'm gearing up to re-read Infinite Jest. Wish me luck, folks! I bought the PT-BR translation as soon as it was available for pre-order, and I really wonder if there's too much that I missed due to the language barrier. It's not the only obstacle, of course, but I can't help but feel I've just skimmed through that Entertainment.

Good luck mate. I am about halfway through, but I've been reading it on and off for a couple of years. I know it's not the best way to read it, but I lose interest and then for some reason am compelled to come back to it.

I've just finished this:

I don't know much about this guy, but apparently he is quite well respected in his native Iceland and has written lyrics for Bjork. It was pretty good, it's only short so definitely worth a look. I will check out more of his for sure. 

cookieboy

• Rep: 10
« Reply #2515 on: July 23, 2016, 10:03:11 PM »
Currently half way with The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles and absolutely dig it.  Can't wait to finish it and start some other books that have been recommended to me. Has anyone read any books by Salvador Dali?

VURNQUIST, VOV

« Reply #2516 on: July 27, 2016, 08:44:35 AM »

My favorite book in recent memory. A thorough examination of the tangled roots of money and debt in human societies. Brilliant. I'd recommend it to anyone. Graeber is an "anarchist" anthropologist who got kicked out of Yale. He's the man. Check him out on youtube.

Also by Graeber. A study on the pitfalls of bureaucracy. Challenging and thought provoking. 

The only fiction I've read this summer. Thought it was cool that a Vietnamese guy won the Pulitzer. The premise seemed to suit my taste, so I picked it up. It does not disappoint. Deserving of all the accolades.

sametelt

• Rep: 17
« Reply #2517 on: July 29, 2016, 12:09:08 AM »

and

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2518 on: July 30, 2016, 05:32:07 PM »
One of my favourite authors, also one of the only people I've read exhaustively. Just finishing this, which is the last thing of his I hadn't read. A bit sad that this is the end of the line, but the book is excellent.

Also really like the Black Sparrow Press editions, easy to find and really nice design.

« Reply #2519 on: July 31, 2016, 02:49:52 AM »
Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. I read Veronica Decides to Die many years ago (my mom gave it to me) and it definitely seemed like a "self-help novel", even though it wasn't as bad and cheesy as I thought it would. One of my favorite authors, Roberto Bolano, hates Coelho to his guts. I can definitely see why, but one has to keep in mind that it's a fight between different traditions of Latin American literature.

I've been really slow on reading for the past couple of weeks, because I was doing an awesome road trip throught the Balkans. I finished The Bridge on the Drina the other day and really liked it. It's been the perfect book to read while travelling the region.

I just started reading a novel by this fashionable young German author Juli Zeh. I've heard her name mentioned a lot recently and I only have little idea who she is, so I decided to give her a shot. I'm normally not too much into "mainstream culture", but I'm interested in literature and contemporary literature, so it was about time I guess. Her novel (Eagles and Angels in the English translation) is a quick, capturing read, but it's also what I would call "pop literature". It tries to be edgy but seems a little forced. Still not bad at all. And it's good to read outside my comfort zone.