Author Topic: books to read  (Read 431154 times)

shark tits

Re: books to read
« Reply #2520 on: July 31, 2016, 07:27:10 PM »
Someone gave me this and it's surprisingly engaging.  Anyone read anything by this guy?  Apparently he wrote for The Wire, as well as writing a number of screenplays for films that we have all seen. 

I enjoyed clockers & read (think it's called) ladies man also cause clockers and freedom land were good urban novels. Ladies man was like set in the 70s, dude was just about hopping broad to broad but it was ok. Other 2 they made movies outta but books always better.

VURNQUIST, VOV

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #2521 on: August 02, 2016, 09:24:49 AM »
One of my favourite authors, also one of the only people I've read exhaustively. Just finishing this, which is the last thing of his I hadn't read. A bit sad that this is the end of the line, but the book is excellent.

Also really like the Black Sparrow Press editions, easy to find and really nice design.

Black Sparrow has the NICEST layouts.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #2522 on: August 08, 2016, 10:58:51 PM »
yeah it's funny, I collect books, but not first editions or even necessarily rare ones, just ones I think are beautiful and/or unique and have some merit or other content-wise

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #2523 on: August 09, 2016, 06:36:59 AM »

SFblah

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 668
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2524 on: August 09, 2016, 07:40:01 AM »
Haven't looked at this topic in awhile. Cool to see so much mention of Bolano. I've only read Distant Star and a local author told me that he believes he's a better short story writer than he gets credit for so I'm gonna check those out. I've been reading lots of translated work because Deep Vellum Publishing http://deepvellum.org/shop/ is here in Dallas and that is all they do. Also, they opened a small bookstore in their location so I'm stoked on that.

Anne Garreta's Sphinx from Deep Vellum Publishing was interesting because it doesn't identify the gender of either person in the relationship. She is a member of OuLiPo which give themselves certain constraints to write around. As you read it you think you know what their genders are then it flips it on you.

This author is often compared to Beckett, who I've never read, and Kafka. I've never read any stream of conscious/automatic writing before until this. At the beginning I wasn't liking it but about 1/4 way through I got the rhythm of his writing and then I actually really liked it. This kind of writing, at least based on this book, feels best read in one or two sittings. I felt it is absorbed better than chopping it up too much.

This was pretty funny and the format changed alot but really enjoyed it.

This is the book I've been looking forward to for a few weeks and waiting for my book store to get my order in. Egyptian dystopia that I can't wait to read. While I've been waiting it has since been getting alot of good reviews.

Also, next up I have M Train

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Rep: -8
« Reply #2525 on: August 10, 2016, 01:05:38 PM »
Some of these look really interesting SFblah. I'll look into them. And yes, Bolano was a good short story writer as well. Even though most people say, himself included, that he was best as a poet.

Starting my first Mark Twain book since childhood in a minute. I can't believe it's been that long...

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #2526 on: September 03, 2016, 09:32:25 AM »

Read it before but always worth a re-read when I'm searching for a new book.

shark tits

« Reply #2527 on: September 03, 2016, 10:40:03 AM »

Read it before but always worth a re-read when I'm searching for a new book.
Haaaa!
It's been forever since I read that one! Pre-fight club non fiction explanation of maybe emasculated working men traveling Europe to riot in other cities/countries. Not just America that was gnarlier a few decades back (yet people still get worked up alot. Shtoops!)
Rad book

SFblah

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2528 on: September 08, 2016, 06:15:46 AM »
Half Price book finds last night. Some classics I've wanted to read/re-read along with both Bulgakovs I've wanted.

« Reply #2529 on: September 08, 2016, 07:44:41 AM »
Half Price book finds last night. Some classics I've wanted to read/re-read along with both Bulgakovs I've wanted.

That's  a nice collection of copies you got there. The Old Man and the Sea is a bit meh IMO, but most of the rest (all those I know) kick ass. Master and Margarita is awesome. I didn't like reading Blood Meridian, but it's a book that I couldn't stop thinking about since I put it down more a year ago. You'll probably see what I mean, because a lot of people I talked to had similar reactions... Metamorphosis is just really good, and you'll start seeing allusions to Kafka everywhere, because it's been so influential. Have fun reading these!

cookieboy

• Rep: 10
« Reply #2530 on: September 10, 2016, 01:17:06 PM »
Recently ordered a bunch of books that I've seen recommended on here. I'm currently reading "Kafka on the Shore" by Haruki Murakami after finishing the "Wind-up Bird Chronicle" and I'm really digging it so far. About half way through the book and doing my best to finish it in a timely manner but enjoy it so I can go through some other books before I plan on picking any new ones. 

« Reply #2531 on: September 11, 2016, 06:31:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

The Old Man and the Sea is a bit meh IMO
[close]

You take that back!
(Personally, my MEH IMO Hemingway book is The Sun Also Rises... so I really get what you mean)
Great haul, I want to re-read Blood Meridian as soon as I can. It's fucked up on so many levels, maybe the book that thrilled me the most.

Right now, I'm almost halfway through Infinite Jest... just finished the match of Eschaton. It's something I'd love to see happen in real life, but it's gotta be a dull game to just watch.

Whaaaat?! The Old Man and the Sea is like the Pretty Sweet of Hemingway's oeuvre. The man was way past his prime when he wrote it. I've never read The Sun Also Rises, but personally I like his early books and stories best. That being said, Hemingway isn't my most favourite author in general.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #2532 on: September 11, 2016, 12:59:55 PM »
I haven't read The Old Man and the Sea, but I really enjoyed The Sun Also Rises. My meh imo hemingway book was For Whom the Bell Tolls.

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #2533 on: September 12, 2016, 02:28:00 PM »
How many books are you guys reading at once? I'm staring at my shelf and there's 7 with bookmarks in em, although I've put two on hiatus

I need to reel this shit in and quit starting so many goddamn books.

There's a pile that I've also bought but haven't even cracked open. They've never been so cheap and easy to buy these days (especially used).

Molte

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #2534 on: September 12, 2016, 03:53:23 PM »
I'm currently reading The Ingenious Gentleman Don Quixote of La Mancha and it does me pretty well I must say.. So far at least, but I don't see it slowing down on the action or subtleties anytime soon, so everything should be good..

I did try to read The Old Man And The Sea, and I don't know, if it's because my chest hair still hasn't grown out at the age of 29, but it did bore me oh so awfully a lot. Never made it past 20 pages..
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 02:09:07 PM by Molte »
Christ airs, airwalks and darkslides

snickers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • do you think this is a game?
« Reply #2535 on: September 12, 2016, 04:14:47 PM »
just finished johnathan franzen's how to be alone. a- 9/10

currently reading the book of disquiet by fernando pessoa.
fatcockXL deserves to be mod on the strength of his name alone

snickers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • do you think this is a game?
« Reply #2536 on: September 13, 2016, 06:30:33 AM »
Expand Quote
just finished johnathan franzen's how to be alone. a- 9/10

currently reading the book of disquiet by fernando pessoa.
[close]

Voce eh portugues? I never read Fernando Pessoa. Poetry is one thing that I don't really "get"... or do I? It's something that really worries me. The most that I feel when I read poetry is to think, "that's cool", "nice rhymes/metrics", but I feel it's just not for the likes of me.

On the other hand, reading The Old Man and the Sea felt really vivid for me, and thrilling. Maybe it's the simplicity of the tale, and the fact that I know that I just wouldn't even come close to catching the fish. It gives me the exact opposite feeling of watching a horror movie. When watching a horror movie, I feel like the characters are useless, and that I would fare way better than then. Reading takes me off my world entirely. I just let the author and the characters take me along to their mindset.

i'm reading an english translation. some of my favourite writers are spanish and portuguese. i wouldn't describe book of disquiet as poetry. it's more of a diary.
fatcockXL deserves to be mod on the strength of his name alone

« Reply #2537 on: September 18, 2016, 07:10:56 AM »
I haven't had much time for reading in the past month, which means I'm only halfway through Mark Twain's A Tramp Abroad. I really like Twain's humour and the book had me laughing out loud a couple of times already. For some reason, I'm reading it really slowly though. I'm not a native speaker and Twain's humour is all about language... this has been the first book in years that had me struggling with language a bit. Still really good!

I bought these two the other day and I might start reading one of them along with Twain. Has anyone read either of them? Any good? I'm excited about both. All my writer friends love both of them and so far their recommendations were pretty much on point.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 07:24:30 AM by AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice »

SFblah

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2538 on: September 18, 2016, 05:56:13 PM »
I haven't read either author but Ferrante gets nothing but good things said about her. I never read her because I totally have judged a book by its cover and can't stand hers. I need to give one a try.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #2539 on: September 20, 2016, 08:45:21 PM »
Nice choices! Finished up Murakami's full-length novels this summer; ended with "Kafka on the Shore"--it was probably my favorite, Nakata always telling people about "good dumps" slayed me. I also really enjoyed "After Dark" even though apparently it's not so well-liked generally..it's a quick read with an interesting concept. "Norwegian Wood" was for sure the most depressing one, to me. As far as his short stories go, I've only read "The Strange Library", which has the character the Sheep Man from the Rat Trilogy...you could read it as kind of a prequel to those, I guess. I'll probably try to move on to his short-story collections--he's also got a new book that is a conversation with his friend, composer Seiji Ozawa, which looks fun (have never read his nonfiction, though). 
You need to get "The Elephant Vanishes", made me more of a fan of his short stories than his long ones

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Can of Soup

« Reply #2540 on: September 22, 2016, 07:39:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Nice choices! Finished up Murakami's full-length novels this summer; ended with "Kafka on the Shore"--it was probably my favorite, Nakata always telling people about "good dumps" slayed me. I also really enjoyed "After Dark" even though apparently it's not so well-liked generally..it's a quick read with an interesting concept. "Norwegian Wood" was for sure the most depressing one, to me. As far as his short stories go, I've only read "The Strange Library", which has the character the Sheep Man from the Rat Trilogy...you could read it as kind of a prequel to those, I guess. I'll probably try to move on to his short-story collections--he's also got a new book that is a conversation with his friend, composer Seiji Ozawa, which looks fun (have never read his nonfiction, though). 
[close]
You need to get "The Elephant Vanishes", made me more of a fan of his short stories than his long ones

Will definitely check that one out next, then--thanks!  ;)

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
« Reply #2541 on: September 30, 2016, 04:45:14 PM »
Recently finished re-reading What Is The What by David Eggers.  Recommended by the NY Times, and Jason Dill.  Very well written, very sad, very long, very glad to be done with it. 

Just blew through Catcher In The Rye for the first time.  Honestly had no idea what it was about beforehand.  Didn't expect it to be glaringly similar to Ham On Rye (which I'm aware came out later).  Glad to finally check it off the list, but it's one of those that when you relate to it, it scares you a bit.

Next up, Dharma Bums by Kerouac.  I remember feeling somewhat invigorated while reading On The Road, so I hope this one is more uplifting than my recent bummer selections.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #2542 on: September 30, 2016, 04:46:27 PM »
just finished 48 Laws of power.

shark tits

« Reply #2543 on: September 30, 2016, 04:54:24 PM »

Is it worth  it? I feel like it's mandatory for hip hop intelligencIA.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2544 on: October 01, 2016, 01:20:34 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
yea its simple book finished it in 4 days
it basically breaks down how to use power and to see how power is abused.  Its a shit ton of history lessons too which got me digging off topic.

« Reply #2545 on: October 05, 2016, 05:25:47 AM »
Recently finished re-reading What Is The What by David Eggers.  Recommended by the NY Times, and Jason Dill.  Very well written, very sad, very long, very glad to be done with it.  

Just blew through Catcher In The Rye for the first time.  Honestly had no idea what it was about beforehand.  Didn't expect it to be glaringly similar to Ham On Rye (which I'm aware came out later).  Glad to finally check it off the list, but it's one of those that when you relate to it, it scares you a bit.

Next up, Dharma Bums by Kerouac.  I remember feeling somewhat invigorated while reading On The Road, so I hope this one is more uplifting than my recent bummer selections.

Dil recommended What is the What? That's a really odd choice for a narcissist like Dill. I'd expect him to be into Burroughs, Vonnegut, that kind of stuff... you know... whatever "edgy" artists dig. What is the What is a really important book though. I second your thoughts.

Yeah, Catcher in the Rye is a strange one. Many people - me included - think it's just overrated. In my eyes, it's just one of those novels you can only appreciate before a certain age. For Catcher in the Rye, that'd be like... 20? On the Road - no offense! - is kinda similar I think, just that the threshold is a bit higher (25-ish maybe?).

Just finished Ferrante's A Brilliant Friend and I really liked it. It's definitely not everyone's cup of tea and all the hype around the book just annoys the hell out of me, but it's obvious why so many readers love it. First of all, it's a real page turner. I read all 420 pages in about 3 days, which is kinda fast for me. At the same time, the novel remains complex enough to interest a more academic audience. While you can totally enjoy the plot if you're just reading for entertainment, Ferrante addresses a wide array of key themes of contemporary literature - love, friendship, women's struggles for independence, violence, life in slums, organized crime, class and education, you name it. It's also a fascinating portrait of life in Naples, even though 90% of the plot is set in the Rione - one of the slums at the edge of the city. Unless you're all about Bukowski and Hemingway, I can definitely recommend Ferrante. I'll get copies of the sequels as soon as the German translations come out.

On a related note, some Italian "journalist" just uncovered Ferrante's identity yesterday. For those who don't know, Elena Ferrante is just a pseudonym. Similar to authors like Pynchon, S?skind or even Salinger, the "real" author wanted to maintain her privacy. She gave written interviews and commented on her prose, yet some people were obsessed with finding out who she "really" is. Long story short, some Italian paparazzi (even though he prefers the term "literary critic") did enough stalking (mostly by looking into people's finances) to come up with a name (which is probably true) and a photo. The whole affair has been nothing but cringeworthy and in my eyes, literary criticism just hit rock bottom. If a writer wants to keep away from the light, she (or he) has every right to do so.

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/the-unmasking-of-elena-ferrante

Question of authorship and its relationship to fictional content has been a topic of hot debate for decades, but it doesn't give the public any right to delve into someone's personal life against their will. Personally, I think biographical details of the author's life are irrelevant for an understanding of a novel, poem, or short story. Who gives a fuck which crippled aunt a writer named a secondary character after?! I never understood why people analyzed fiction to find out about its relationship to the author's life - especially, if the author clearly doesn't want you to do that. The work of fiction itself gives you everything you need to know.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 05:30:07 AM by AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice »

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
« Reply #2546 on: October 05, 2016, 09:41:26 AM »
Yeah, I agree completely. I still have yet to read Ferrante but it's super fucked to try and figure out her "real identity."

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2547 on: October 05, 2016, 09:09:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Just blew through Catcher In The Rye for the first time.  Honestly had no idea what it was about beforehand.  Didn't expect it to be glaringly similar to Ham On Rye (which I'm aware came out later).  Glad to finally check it off the list, but it's one of those that when you relate to it, it scares you a bit.
[close]

I couldn't relate to Holden, and pretty much gave up on the book already. Maybe I'll finish it someday.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
yea its simple book finished it in 4 days
it basically breaks down how to use power and to see how power is abused.  Its a shit ton of history lessons too which got me digging off topic.
[close]

Maybe I'll pick it up, especially if it's simple.

The last book I finished was How to Win Friends and Influence People. It was kinda nice, but it teaches nothing extraordinary. It's all stuff that SHOULD be common knowledge. Still, I needed the reminder.

Been reading a bunch of books like that.  I also started Outlier by Malcom Gladwell.  It's a pretty dope book too

« Reply #2548 on: October 15, 2016, 11:52:18 AM »
Nice! I know that feeling of finishing a monster of a book. Your review made me really interesting in Infinite Jest again. It's a book that's been popping up in a lot of conversations I had recently.

I also liked The Road. It's a page turner as you say: a very limited set of characters, plain style, and mostly dialogue make it easy to read, while still giving you something to reflect on.

I'm about to finish Sputnik Sweetheart by Murakami in a minute. While reading up on candidates for the Nobel Prize the other day, I figured out I hadn't ever read anything by him; went to the bookstore and got a copy. I know that Sputnik Sweetheart isn't exactly considered his masterpiece, but I still like it a lot. I guess that's mostly due to subject and characters though. Similar to the narrator, I'm a young teacher and I've been a little frustrated with my love life recently, so the novel hits pretty close to home... kinda. I generally like Murakami's style though. Since I plan on picking up another Murakami novel soon, which one would y'all recommend? So far, I'm leaning towards either Norwegian Wood or The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. I know some of you have been reading some Murakami lately, so I'd really appreciate some suggestions.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
« Reply #2549 on: October 15, 2016, 03:01:02 PM »
Just picked up Man In The Iron Mask by Alexandre Dumas from the library today.  I didn't realize it was the concluding novel of the Three Musketeers series.  I could've borrowed the book that has all of them, but not trying to speed read all that in 3 weeks.