Author Topic: books to read  (Read 248547 times)

Can of Soup

• Rep: 113
Re: books to read
« Reply #2670 on: November 22, 2016, 06:16:48 AM »
That looks interesting. I've been thinking about reading something in the vein of "Travels with Charley", and this looks like it might be it.

Definitely go for it--it's in my top three; have given a few copies of Blue Highways out to friends and everyone has enjoyed it.
After reading it I got his book PrairyErth, which I still haven't gotten to but it's an in-depth look at Chase County in Kansas. Hoping to crack it open in a few weeks:

Alan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 121
« Reply #2671 on: November 22, 2016, 06:25:01 AM »
Sick, thanks!
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

DavidxBowie

• Rep: 0
« Reply #2672 on: December 06, 2016, 09:23:00 PM »
Haven't been doing much reading outside of class recently. Has anyone here read Paul Beatty's The Sellout? Genius satire of race in contemporary America. Just getting into it.

SFblah

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
« Reply #2673 on: December 07, 2016, 02:18:27 AM »
Haven't been doing much reading outside of class recently. Has anyone here read Paul Beatty's The Sellout? Genius satire of race in contemporary America. Just getting into it.
Yes! Every sentence is geniously written.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #2674 on: December 07, 2016, 01:27:53 PM »
The adventures of a Montana boy left to wander and fend for himself at about 13, during the dirty 30's.

More telling of the Great Depression than of hobo culture, its appeal is probably mostly for the more avid train nerd, but I am that and enjoyed it a lot.
Short chapters make for good bedtime reading, out loud or otherwise eg. "Chapter 13: A night in Havre jail" (not a real chapter, but basically they're all little snippets like this).

« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 12:13:35 PM by botefdunn »

shitsandwich

• Rep: -50
« Reply #2675 on: December 15, 2016, 08:04:21 PM »
What's your guys' take on audiobooks? I've heard some people consider it cheating

I'm currently listening to 1Q84 on youtube right now and i think its great. I'm knocking out so many pages while doing the dishes or other chores. I do plan on buying it after I've completed it though.

shark tits

« Reply #2676 on: December 15, 2016, 08:27:10 PM »
What's your guys' take on audiobooks? I've heard some people consider it cheating

I'm currently listening to 1Q84 on youtube right now and i think its great. I'm knocking out so many pages while doing the dishes or other chores. I do plan on buying it after I've completed it though.
it's definitely not reading but i've spent hours on youtube listening to prodigy [of mobb deep] read his book to me. some kind soul has edited out the boring parts and uploaded all the gunplay, fights at the tunnel and beef w/ nore and disses from nas.
a friend sent me mushrooms and 'the teachings of don juan' by carlos castaneda and i ate the mushrooms but having a hard time getting into said book. decades ago my roommates had that book on tape and some goony timothy leary book 'you can be anything.... this time around'.
if you get the story through movie, book or radio it's better than missing it entirely.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 197
« Reply #2677 on: December 15, 2016, 10:35:55 PM »
I've found I can only do non-fiction books via audiobooks.  No real desire to do fiction on them.  i think it's because I feel that fiction puts more emphasis on wording, phrasing, and individual sentences whereas the primary focus of non-fiction is getting a message/idea across with less of an emphasis on construction.  With that in mind, I'm on my fourth audiobook for this year right now and it's going alright.

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Rep: -21
« Reply #2678 on: December 16, 2016, 06:22:42 AM »

Can't do it. It's not that I consider it "cheating" (what a strange point), but I'm a visual learner and I can't listen to longer speeches on audio only.

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
  • All we like to listen to is Barry Manilow.
« Reply #2679 on: December 16, 2016, 10:04:32 AM »
It's been ages since I finished a book. Changing jobs does that to me. The last book I've read was The Magic of Tidying Up, by a "tidying-up guru" named Marie Kondo. She mostly teaches you how to identify useless stuff, and how to get rid of it. A less-is-more kind of thinking. As much as I try not to hoard things, there's a lot I took from the author.

handsclapanin

• Rep: 149
« Reply #2680 on: December 16, 2016, 12:47:56 PM »
I've been meaning to get some more audiobooks on cd from the library. I'm stuck in rush hour traffic every day. It usually takes about a hour to get home (13 miles). So they are perfect for that. Been a few years since I got one. The 3 I've done most recently were Death in the Afternoon, Hemingway; The Gambler, Dostoyevsky; and Wind up Bird Chronicles, Murakami. I feel you miss out on something. But like Sniffer said, it's better than missing out on the whole thing.

Currently reading this book Lies my Teacher Told Me by James W. Loewen. Off the Dill rec list. It's alright. A few interesting tidbits here and there.

shitsandwich

« Reply #2681 on: December 18, 2016, 11:57:35 PM »
I listened to tina fey's book and it was really entertaining to hear it in her voice so I'm probably going to check out other autobiographies. I also started reading trainspotting and its super cool so far. A bit different than the movie but hard to follow the Scottish accents at times.

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 66
« Reply #2682 on: December 19, 2016, 03:59:50 AM »
a great book about an extended road trip.  such a good writer.

I tried to grab that from the library yesterday, but it was checked out.  I got another one of his books, "Here, There, and Elsewhere."  It's a collection of short stories.  I'm only about 50 pages in.  It's Ok so far.  The stories are only about 10 pages longs, so if one is boring, you can just skip it. 

Just re read Dharma Bums for like the tenth time.  Such a good, fast read.

Alexactly

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 232
  • RIP
« Reply #2683 on: December 20, 2016, 03:13:08 PM »
Sudden Death by Alvaro Enrigue. Easily my favorite book released of 2016. Highly recommended for fans of Borges, Pynchon, Calvino, and Bolano. Good review by Alberto Manguel here: https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/apr/30/sudden-death-by-alvaro-enrigue-review

It's coming out in paperback in February, keep your eyes peeled.

SFblah

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
« Reply #2684 on: December 21, 2016, 08:23:47 AM »
Sudden Death by Alvaro Enrigue. Easily my favorite book released of 2016. Highly recommended for fans of Borges, Pynchon, Calvino, and Bolano. Good review by Alberto Manguel here: https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/apr/30/sudden-death-by-alvaro-enrigue-review

It's coming out in paperback in February, keep your eyes peeled.

I keep seeing this getting high praise everywhere but haven't picked it up yet. I like Bolano so I'll have to check it out. I currently have Bolano's Nazi Literature in America on deck after I'm finished reading The Queue by Basma Abdel Aziz.

Also, picked these up.

Alexactly

• SLAP Pal
  • RIP
« Reply #2685 on: December 21, 2016, 09:51:47 AM »
The Vegetarian is dope, and all Sebald is incredible. Among Strange Victims is def on my list. I was just gifted The Revolutionaries Try Again by Mauro Javier Cardena, excited to start it soon.

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Rep: -21
« Reply #2686 on: December 24, 2016, 02:40:16 AM »
Lots of great recommendations on this page! Alvaro Enrigue is right up my alley. I'll probably be picking up Sudden Death real soon. The Vegetarian sounds incredible, too. I did the opposite from the protagonist last summer and started eating meat again after being a vegetarian for 8 years (which wasn't exactly met with joy by some of my "progressive" friends either), so the topic hits kinda close to home... albeit in a very different, and definitely less tragic way.

I loved The Emigrants and Sebald's writing in general. It's grim and sad, but in a beautiful way. I bought a copy of Austerlitz at a second-hand store the other day and will pick it up soon.

Nazi Literature in the Americas is a strange little book. And I mean that in the best way possible. It's typically Bolano, but totally unlike everything else I've ever read.

Speaking of Bolano, I still haven't finished 2666... I don't know, I was really busy for a while and had to lay off reading for a while. I really like 2666 though. It's Bolano's bleakest work by far (which says something) and it's very different from, let's say, The Savage Detectives, but it's still quintessentially Bolano. I'm almost done with the infamous "Part about the Crimes", which details every single femicide in a fictionalized version of Cd. Juarez, but I'm not as repulsed as some readers have been. It's cruel, it's brutal, but it's hardly worse than Blood Meridian, for example. At this point, 2666 seems to circle around certain themes, some of them concrete - such as female homicides and chauvinism in Mexico - and others more abstract - like lunacy and evil. A recurring motif are abysses. It's very dark, it's very complex, but it's not a Pynchon or DFW novel, where every detail matters. Rather, it seems to be more about atmosphere (if that makes sense).

shitsandwich

« Reply #2687 on: January 02, 2017, 08:31:58 PM »
Has anyone read Pygmy by Chuck Palahniuk? This shit is so goddamn hard to read. The narration is written in broken english and that would be somewhat bearable if the story was at least a little interesting. I just want to hurry up and finish this shit

shark tits

« Reply #2688 on: January 02, 2017, 08:35:21 PM »
Has anyone read Pygmy by Chuck Palahniuk? This shit is so goddamn hard to read. The narration is written in broken english and that would be somewhat bearable if the story was at least a little interesting. I just want to hurry up and finish this shit
i read it at the bookstore in oakland waiting for a train. sorta how clockwork orange is hard at first but then it makes sense, pygmy ended up being ok. never really explained what country that little devil was from, did it? wasn't my favorite or least favorite palahniuk book.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 197
« Reply #2689 on: January 03, 2017, 08:08:05 AM »
I've heard it was a cool concept that took a while to get used to but ultimately just kinda fell flat. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good enough to justify the frustration of the stilted prose.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 177
« Reply #2690 on: January 03, 2017, 12:01:51 PM »
i have no read pgymy but rant is one of my all time favorite books and the concept is amazingly executed. 

my new years resolution is to only read slightly trashy, non-peachy suspense stories this year.
i've started with 'sharp objects' and its so fucking enjoyable.   its reminding why i loved reading in the first place.   if anyone has any recommendations on good easy/fun suspense or mystery books i'm all ears.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #2691 on: January 03, 2017, 12:17:58 PM »
easy read, wonderful. the movie adds a bunch of propaganda and waters down the main point

Can of Soup

• Rep: 113
« Reply #2692 on: January 03, 2017, 08:03:49 PM »
If anyone wants an interesting audiobook, check out the Kelsey Grammer autobiography, So Far, narrated by Grammer himself. Think it's on iTunes and Audible. It ends in like 1996, but the guy has had a crazy and difficult life.

if anyone has any recommendations on good easy/fun suspense or mystery books i'm all ears.

I've recommended them in this thread before but two I think you'd enjoy are The Billionaire's Apprentice by Anita Raghavan and A Spy Among Friends: Kim Philby and the Great Betrayal by Ben Macintyre and John le Carre. They're both nonfiction but really exciting and easy reads. Think you'd enjoy the first one as it's kind of a financial thriller where several lawyers and federal agents are trying to crack an insider trading case. The second one is beyond crazy, I could never finish (or really follow) le Carre's Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy for whatever reason, but this one he wrote with Macintyre is a real page-turner, with many of the events and stories from Philby's life / time in MI6 being inspiration for Ian Fleming's James Bond.

shitsandwich

« Reply #2693 on: January 03, 2017, 10:40:16 PM »
i read it at the bookstore in oakland waiting for a train. sorta how clockwork orange is hard at first but then it makes sense, pygmy ended up being ok. never really explained what country that little devil was from, did it? wasn't my favorite or least favorite palahniuk book.

I've havent read a clockwork orange but I'm assuming its written with thick accents? I just finished the Trainspotting book which was also a little difficult because of the heavy Scottish accents. Although unlike Pygmy imo it was worth the read because it was actually enjoyable. (Also if anyone has seen Trainspotting, I recommend the book. It's a really entertaining read.)

I'm not sure yet what happens to Pgymy. I've only been able to get through fifteen pages at a time without my mind wandering somewhere else. I feel like this writing style is cool in theory though

shark tits

« Reply #2694 on: January 03, 2017, 10:47:31 PM »
not accents, made up slang ie droogs and vecky horrorshow. it makes sense after 20 pages or whatever. i've read a few irvine welsh books, at first the phonetics messes w/ you but you start reading w/ scottish accent. i guess you'll get used to anything after a chapter or 2.

Alexactly

• SLAP Pal
  • RIP
« Reply #2695 on: January 04, 2017, 03:16:48 PM »

i read it at the bookstore in oakland waiting for a train.

Was it near Rockridge bart?

shark tits

« Reply #2696 on: January 04, 2017, 03:34:29 PM »

i read it at the bookstore in oakland waiting for a train.

Was it near Rockridge bart?
i don't think. it was by jack london plaza. it was about to be out of business barnes and nobles right on the water and the freight trains ride down the middle of the street and there's a building you can ollie sideways flat gap over stairs.

cookieboy

• Rep: 8
« Reply #2697 on: January 12, 2017, 02:29:46 PM »
Currently reading Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are.

Also heard that Murakami is writing a new book, can't wait to try some Murakami Bingo.

shitsandwich

« Reply #2698 on: January 12, 2017, 04:00:09 PM »
Currently reading Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are.

Also heard that Murakami is writing a new book, can't wait to try some Murakami Bingo.

How is this?

cookieboy

• Rep: 8
« Reply #2699 on: January 12, 2017, 06:51:45 PM »
So far I like it, but I'm not too deep into the book. He has some interesting views and stories that go along with each view as well. I'd recommend it since it's not a dense read.