Author Topic: books to read  (Read 431513 times)

SFblah

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 668
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: books to read
« Reply #2610 on: December 21, 2016, 08:23:47 AM »
Sudden Death by Alvaro Enrigue. Easily my favorite book released of 2016. Highly recommended for fans of Borges, Pynchon, Calvino, and Bolano. Good review by Alberto Manguel here: https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/apr/30/sudden-death-by-alvaro-enrigue-review

It's coming out in paperback in February, keep your eyes peeled.

I keep seeing this getting high praise everywhere but haven't picked it up yet. I like Bolano so I'll have to check it out. I currently have Bolano's Nazi Literature in America on deck after I'm finished reading The Queue by Basma Abdel Aziz.

Also, picked these up.

Alexactly

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • RIP
« Reply #2611 on: December 21, 2016, 09:51:47 AM »
The Vegetarian is dope, and all Sebald is incredible. Among Strange Victims is def on my list. I was just gifted The Revolutionaries Try Again by Mauro Javier Cardena, excited to start it soon.

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Rep: -8
« Reply #2612 on: December 24, 2016, 02:40:16 AM »
Lots of great recommendations on this page! Alvaro Enrigue is right up my alley. I'll probably be picking up Sudden Death real soon. The Vegetarian sounds incredible, too. I did the opposite from the protagonist last summer and started eating meat again after being a vegetarian for 8 years (which wasn't exactly met with joy by some of my "progressive" friends either), so the topic hits kinda close to home... albeit in a very different, and definitely less tragic way.

I loved The Emigrants and Sebald's writing in general. It's grim and sad, but in a beautiful way. I bought a copy of Austerlitz at a second-hand store the other day and will pick it up soon.

Nazi Literature in the Americas is a strange little book. And I mean that in the best way possible. It's typically Bolano, but totally unlike everything else I've ever read.

Speaking of Bolano, I still haven't finished 2666... I don't know, I was really busy for a while and had to lay off reading for a while. I really like 2666 though. It's Bolano's bleakest work by far (which says something) and it's very different from, let's say, The Savage Detectives, but it's still quintessentially Bolano. I'm almost done with the infamous "Part about the Crimes", which details every single femicide in a fictionalized version of Cd. Juarez, but I'm not as repulsed as some readers have been. It's cruel, it's brutal, but it's hardly worse than Blood Meridian, for example. At this point, 2666 seems to circle around certain themes, some of them concrete - such as female homicides and chauvinism in Mexico - and others more abstract - like lunacy and evil. A recurring motif are abysses. It's very dark, it's very complex, but it's not a Pynchon or DFW novel, where every detail matters. Rather, it seems to be more about atmosphere (if that makes sense).

shitsandwich

• Rep: -53
« Reply #2613 on: January 02, 2017, 08:31:58 PM »
Has anyone read Pygmy by Chuck Palahniuk? This shit is so goddamn hard to read. The narration is written in broken english and that would be somewhat bearable if the story was at least a little interesting. I just want to hurry up and finish this shit

shark tits

« Reply #2614 on: January 02, 2017, 08:35:21 PM »
Has anyone read Pygmy by Chuck Palahniuk? This shit is so goddamn hard to read. The narration is written in broken english and that would be somewhat bearable if the story was at least a little interesting. I just want to hurry up and finish this shit
i read it at the bookstore in oakland waiting for a train. sorta how clockwork orange is hard at first but then it makes sense, pygmy ended up being ok. never really explained what country that little devil was from, did it? wasn't my favorite or least favorite palahniuk book.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 378
« Reply #2615 on: January 03, 2017, 08:08:05 AM »
I've heard it was a cool concept that took a while to get used to but ultimately just kinda fell flat. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good enough to justify the frustration of the stilted prose.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #2616 on: January 03, 2017, 12:01:51 PM »
i have no read pgymy but rant is one of my all time favorite books and the concept is amazingly executed. 

my new years resolution is to only read slightly trashy, non-peachy suspense stories this year.
i've started with 'sharp objects' and its so fucking enjoyable.   its reminding why i loved reading in the first place.   if anyone has any recommendations on good easy/fun suspense or mystery books i'm all ears.
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
« Reply #2617 on: January 03, 2017, 12:17:58 PM »
easy read, wonderful. the movie adds a bunch of propaganda and waters down the main point

shitsandwich

« Reply #2618 on: January 03, 2017, 10:40:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
i read it at the bookstore in oakland waiting for a train. sorta how clockwork orange is hard at first but then it makes sense, pygmy ended up being ok. never really explained what country that little devil was from, did it? wasn't my favorite or least favorite palahniuk book.

I've havent read a clockwork orange but I'm assuming its written with thick accents? I just finished the Trainspotting book which was also a little difficult because of the heavy Scottish accents. Although unlike Pygmy imo it was worth the read because it was actually enjoyable. (Also if anyone has seen Trainspotting, I recommend the book. It's a really entertaining read.)

I'm not sure yet what happens to Pgymy. I've only been able to get through fifteen pages at a time without my mind wandering somewhere else. I feel like this writing style is cool in theory though

shark tits

« Reply #2619 on: January 03, 2017, 10:47:31 PM »
not accents, made up slang ie droogs and vecky horrorshow. it makes sense after 20 pages or whatever. i've read a few irvine welsh books, at first the phonetics messes w/ you but you start reading w/ scottish accent. i guess you'll get used to anything after a chapter or 2.

Alexactly

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • RIP
« Reply #2620 on: January 04, 2017, 03:16:48 PM »

i read it at the bookstore in oakland waiting for a train.

Was it near Rockridge bart?

shark tits

« Reply #2621 on: January 04, 2017, 03:34:29 PM »
Expand Quote

i read it at the bookstore in oakland waiting for a train.
[close]

Was it near Rockridge bart?
i don't think. it was by jack london plaza. it was about to be out of business barnes and nobles right on the water and the freight trains ride down the middle of the street and there's a building you can ollie sideways flat gap over stairs.

cookieboy

• Rep: 10
« Reply #2622 on: January 12, 2017, 02:29:46 PM »
Currently reading Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are.

Also heard that Murakami is writing a new book, can't wait to try some Murakami Bingo.

shitsandwich

« Reply #2623 on: January 12, 2017, 04:00:09 PM »
Currently reading Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are.

Also heard that Murakami is writing a new book, can't wait to try some Murakami Bingo.

How is this?

cookieboy

• Rep: 10
« Reply #2624 on: January 12, 2017, 06:51:45 PM »
So far I like it, but I'm not too deep into the book. He has some interesting views and stories that go along with each view as well. I'd recommend it since it's not a dense read.

snowman600

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
« Reply #2625 on: January 12, 2017, 07:26:23 PM »
The Tools by Barry Michels and Phil 'deez nutz' Stutz. probably the first self-help book I've truly found useful.

« Reply #2626 on: January 14, 2017, 02:55:57 AM »
Finally wrapped up 2666 the other day. I love the feeling of finishing a really long-ass book - it's like you're finishing a project. Overall, 2666 is one of the best books I've ever read. I can totally see why people refer to it as Bolano's magnum opus, even though I still like The Savage Detectives better. If you like Bolano, you should totally check it out one day. If you're really into plot-driven novels where all loose ends are brought together, this might not be your cup of tea.

Right after, I read Returning to Reims by Didier Eribon. Eribon is a French sociologist who, as the title says, returns to his parents' house in middle of nowhere after his father died. On the one hand, it's an autobiography about a man who fled the narrow-mindedness of his parents' household and conservative Reims to fully express his homosexuality and become an intellectual in Paris. As Eribon is confronted with his roots for the first time in decades, he becomes very critical with his himself and his "inner" escape. On the other hand, it's also a book about political changes in France; by looking at his own parents, Eribon tries to analyze why "common people" went from voting for the Communist party straight to the Front National (a "populist" right-wing party). I loved how critical Eribon is with himself and left-wing intellectuals in general and how he's not afraid to confront ugly truths. If you're interested in right-wing populism in Europe right now, this one could be for you.

This morning, I picked up George Packer's The Unwinding. I know it's been really popular in the States. Anyone else read it?

Rusty Shackleford

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
  • you know about goretex?
« Reply #2627 on: January 18, 2017, 05:28:36 PM »
rereading...still gives me the chills..

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 422
« Reply #2628 on: January 18, 2017, 05:42:17 PM »
I read The Road from Cormac McCarthy and couldn't put it down. I read it all in one sitting because I enjoyed it so much. Because of that, I started reading Blood Meridian, one of his earlier books, which is often said to be one of his best. I'm 3/4 of the way through and I'll be honest that it's been really hard for me to read. The style in which it's written and the different types of words, which I'm sure are more geared towards that time period, makes me read it real slow in order to gather everything together in my head. I'm hoping by the end I will have a better appreciation for it, but I'm trying to not be one of those dudes that say they love a certain book because it's a hipster classic or something.

Anyone read it and have some insight or want to share their take on it? I'd love to hear some thoughts.

Irvine-Sucks.com

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2629 on: January 18, 2017, 10:08:58 PM »
Dude--I had the same thing happen to me! I liked some of the very poetic passages and the imagery of Blood Meridian, but I definitely didn't feel the same impact that I did from The Road. I want to try some of his other stuff though.

Here are two Yale lectures on Blood Meridian that I remember being interesting and helpful but full disclosure, I read the book and listened to these years ago so I apologize if my memory is off and they're not that great:

17. Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
18. Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian (cont.)

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
« Reply #2630 on: January 19, 2017, 01:44:02 AM »
bears a fe similarities to blood meridian but is lighter. reqd on the plane a couple days ago and it got me where i wqnted to go. bit of a rip on brautigan's hawklin mystery though. for those who like western noir

« Reply #2631 on: January 19, 2017, 02:46:06 AM »
I read The Road from Cormac McCarthy and couldn't put it down. I read it all in one sitting because I enjoyed it so much. Because of that, I started reading Blood Meridian, one of his earlier books, which is often said to be one of his best. I'm 3/4 of the way through and I'll be honest that it's been really hard for me to read. The style in which it's written and the different types of words, which I'm sure are more geared towards that time period, makes me read it real slow in order to gather everything together in my head. I'm hoping by the end I will have a better appreciation for it, but I'm trying to not be one of those dudes that say they love a certain book because it's a hipster classic or something.

Anyone read it and have some insight or want to share their take on it? I'd love to hear some thoughts.

I literally had the same experience. All I can say is: wait until you finish the book. I loved The Road; I was really not sure about Blood Meridian. Now, years later, I completely forgot about details from The Road, but I'm still thinking about Blood Meridian every once in a while. So yeah, the book isn't exactly a page-turner, but I'd say it's worth it in the end.

And yeah, the lectures that oyolar posted, are great!

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 422
« Reply #2632 on: January 19, 2017, 09:55:06 AM »
Thanks for the replies dudes. Glad I'm not alone on this one. I'll definitely finish it and hope to feel a little bit more attached to it by the end. And I'll check out those videos. Cheers!

Also, on a side note, I read the book Modoc, which is based on a true story about a boy and an elephant and their relationship over the years, and it's amazing. Definitely dropped a tear or 2 at some point. Elephants are incredibly smart animals.

Irvine-Sucks.com

Grind King Rims

« Reply #2633 on: January 19, 2017, 11:55:10 AM »
Finally finished reading Stoner by John Williams. Damn, is it sad. But it's a damned good book.

biggums mcgee

• Rep: 14
« Reply #2634 on: January 19, 2017, 03:08:44 PM »
Finished E.L. Doctorow's World's Fair today- great author if you're into historical fiction, that book though is autobiographical and takes place in the Bronx between '36-?39. Great light reading.

Picked up Blood Meridian a few years back because Mark Whiteley said it was one of his favorites. Ill shamelessly admit I put it down after 50 pages..

7 year old

« Reply #2635 on: January 21, 2017, 01:51:27 PM »
anyone read Against the Day by thomas pynchon?
wondering how it compares to Gravity's Rainbow.

i read The Crying of Lot 49 a few days ago and really liked it in parts. ending sucked though.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2592
« Reply #2636 on: January 21, 2017, 02:02:39 PM »
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2637 on: January 21, 2017, 08:34:49 PM »
anyone read Against the Day by thomas pynchon?
wondering how it compares to Gravity's Rainbow.

i read The Crying of Lot 49 a few days ago and really liked it in parts. ending sucked though.

It took me long enough to get through Gravity's Rainbow (although I want to give it another read)--I can't imagine trying to read Against The Day.

7 year old

« Reply #2638 on: January 22, 2017, 09:18:11 AM »
Gravity's Rainbow is so sick. I want to re-read it too, but I don't know where the hell my copy is.

Chris Hansen is back

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 780
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2639 on: January 22, 2017, 05:24:41 PM »
Mason & Dixon was one of the most satisfying books I've ever read. It was an odd place to start with him, but I'm glad I did.