Author Topic: books to read  (Read 248003 times)

snowman600

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 410
Re: books to read
« Reply #2700 on: January 12, 2017, 07:26:23 PM »
The Tools by Barry Michels and Phil 'deez nutz' Stutz. probably the first self-help book I've truly found useful.

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Rep: -21
« Reply #2701 on: January 14, 2017, 02:55:57 AM »
Finally wrapped up 2666 the other day. I love the feeling of finishing a really long-ass book - it's like you're finishing a project. Overall, 2666 is one of the best books I've ever read. I can totally see why people refer to it as Bolano's magnum opus, even though I still like The Savage Detectives better. If you like Bolano, you should totally check it out one day. If you're really into plot-driven novels where all loose ends are brought together, this might not be your cup of tea.

Right after, I read Returning to Reims by Didier Eribon. Eribon is a French sociologist who, as the title says, returns to his parents' house in middle of nowhere after his father died. On the one hand, it's an autobiography about a man who fled the narrow-mindedness of his parents' household and conservative Reims to fully express his homosexuality and become an intellectual in Paris. As Eribon is confronted with his roots for the first time in decades, he becomes very critical with his himself and his "inner" escape. On the other hand, it's also a book about political changes in France; by looking at his own parents, Eribon tries to analyze why "common people" went from voting for the Communist party straight to the Front National (a "populist" right-wing party). I loved how critical Eribon is with himself and left-wing intellectuals in general and how he's not afraid to confront ugly truths. If you're interested in right-wing populism in Europe right now, this one could be for you.

This morning, I picked up George Packer's The Unwinding. I know it's been really popular in the States. Anyone else read it?

Rusty Shackleford

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
  • you know about goretex?
« Reply #2702 on: January 18, 2017, 05:28:36 PM »
rereading...still gives me the chills..

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
« Reply #2703 on: January 18, 2017, 05:42:17 PM »
I read The Road from Cormac McCarthy and couldn't put it down. I read it all in one sitting because I enjoyed it so much. Because of that, I started reading Blood Meridian, one of his earlier books, which is often said to be one of his best. I'm 3/4 of the way through and I'll be honest that it's been really hard for me to read. The style in which it's written and the different types of words, which I'm sure are more geared towards that time period, makes me read it real slow in order to gather everything together in my head. I'm hoping by the end I will have a better appreciation for it, but I'm trying to not be one of those dudes that say they love a certain book because it's a hipster classic or something.

Anyone read it and have some insight or want to share their take on it? I'd love to hear some thoughts.
Irvine-Sucks.com

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 197
« Reply #2704 on: January 18, 2017, 10:08:58 PM »
Dude--I had the same thing happen to me! I liked some of the very poetic passages and the imagery of Blood Meridian, but I definitely didn't feel the same impact that I did from The Road. I want to try some of his other stuff though.

Here are two Yale lectures on Blood Meridian that I remember being interesting and helpful but full disclosure, I read the book and listened to these years ago so I apologize if my memory is off and they're not that great:

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #2705 on: January 19, 2017, 01:44:02 AM »
bears a fe similarities to blood meridian but is lighter. reqd on the plane a couple days ago and it got me where i wqnted to go. bit of a rip on brautigan's hawklin mystery though. for those who like western noir

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Rep: -21
« Reply #2706 on: January 19, 2017, 02:46:06 AM »
I read The Road from Cormac McCarthy and couldn't put it down. I read it all in one sitting because I enjoyed it so much. Because of that, I started reading Blood Meridian, one of his earlier books, which is often said to be one of his best. I'm 3/4 of the way through and I'll be honest that it's been really hard for me to read. The style in which it's written and the different types of words, which I'm sure are more geared towards that time period, makes me read it real slow in order to gather everything together in my head. I'm hoping by the end I will have a better appreciation for it, but I'm trying to not be one of those dudes that say they love a certain book because it's a hipster classic or something.

Anyone read it and have some insight or want to share their take on it? I'd love to hear some thoughts.

I literally had the same experience. All I can say is: wait until you finish the book. I loved The Road; I was really not sure about Blood Meridian. Now, years later, I completely forgot about details from The Road, but I'm still thinking about Blood Meridian every once in a while. So yeah, the book isn't exactly a page-turner, but I'd say it's worth it in the end.

And yeah, the lectures that oyolar posted, are great!

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
« Reply #2707 on: January 19, 2017, 09:55:06 AM »
Thanks for the replies dudes. Glad I'm not alone on this one. I'll definitely finish it and hope to feel a little bit more attached to it by the end. And I'll check out those videos. Cheers!

Also, on a side note, I read the book Modoc, which is based on a true story about a boy and an elephant and their relationship over the years, and it's amazing. Definitely dropped a tear or 2 at some point. Elephants are incredibly smart animals.
Irvine-Sucks.com

Grind King Rims

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 192
  • They really work!
    • Amaze your friends!
« Reply #2708 on: January 19, 2017, 11:55:10 AM »
Finally finished reading Stoner by John Williams. Damn, is it sad. But it's a damned good book.

"Strictly for the culture" - Brian Wenning 2017

Tongue punching the Life Gnar button since 2011.

biggums mcgee

• Rep: 9
« Reply #2709 on: January 19, 2017, 03:08:44 PM »
Finished E.L. Doctorow's World's Fair today- great author if you're into historical fiction, that book though is autobiographical and takes place in the Bronx between '36-?39. Great light reading.

Picked up Blood Meridian a few years back because Mark Whiteley said it was one of his favorites. Ill shamelessly admit I put it down after 50 pages..

7 year old

• Rep: 56
« Reply #2710 on: January 21, 2017, 01:51:27 PM »
anyone read Against the Day by thomas pynchon?
wondering how it compares to Gravity's Rainbow.

i read The Crying of Lot 49 a few days ago and really liked it in parts. ending sucked though.

Alan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 123
« Reply #2711 on: January 21, 2017, 02:02:39 PM »
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2712 on: January 21, 2017, 08:34:49 PM »
anyone read Against the Day by thomas pynchon?
wondering how it compares to Gravity's Rainbow.

i read The Crying of Lot 49 a few days ago and really liked it in parts. ending sucked though.

It took me long enough to get through Gravity's Rainbow (although I want to give it another read)--I can't imagine trying to read Against The Day.

7 year old

« Reply #2713 on: January 22, 2017, 09:18:11 AM »
Gravity's Rainbow is so sick. I want to re-read it too, but I don't know where the hell my copy is.

Chris Hansen is back

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 697
« Reply #2714 on: January 22, 2017, 05:24:41 PM »
Mason & Dixon was one of the most satisfying books I've ever read. It was an odd place to start with him, but I'm glad I did.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2715 on: January 22, 2017, 09:59:59 PM »
I've got to read more Pynchon.  I've liked everything I've read so far, but he's one of those authors that I'll get an itch for, read him, and then be fine for a while.

Just finished the first chapter of You Too Can Have A Body Like Mine by Alexandra Kleeman and damn is it really good and unsettling.  Excited to see where it goes.

cookieboy

• Rep: 8
« Reply #2716 on: February 05, 2017, 09:41:04 AM »
Just finished The Pilgrimage by Paulo Coelho, it was such an enjoyable read. Liked it a lot more than The Alchemist.

Peter Zagreus

• Rep: 19
« Reply #2717 on: February 08, 2017, 05:52:21 PM »

Not an American hero, but a hero nonetheless. Breezy, informative read, thanks to Halberstam.

Nietzsche always hypes me up...maybe overly so, sometimes. The Will to Power is a compilation of Nietzsche's more pertinent journal entries, so they read differently than his published material...disjointed bursts of thought, like when you're stoned and feel like you need to capture your profound ideas, so you scribble them down...except Nietzsche's ideas are actually "deep."
Always thought the cover would look good on a t-shirt.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2718 on: February 09, 2017, 09:28:28 PM »
An important detail about The Will to Power was collected and (originally) edited by Nietzsche's Nazi-sympathizing sister and has been critiqued a lot for mischaracterizing a lot of his thoughts and notes.  I've always heard from friend who have read a lot of Nietzsche to take that collection with a massive grain of salt.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -4
« Reply #2719 on: February 10, 2017, 07:33:48 PM »

I've been on a Mexican prison gang kick for some reason.

Now I've moved on to this:

« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 08:08:57 PM by brycickle »

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of retarded kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Peter Zagreus

• Rep: 19
« Reply #2720 on: February 11, 2017, 07:33:47 AM »
An important detail about The Will to Power was collected and (originally) edited by Nietzsche's Nazi-sympathizing sister and has been critiqued a lot for mischaracterizing a lot of his thoughts and notes.  I've always heard from friend who have read a lot of Nietzsche to take that collection with a massive grain of salt.

If there's a grain of salt to be taken, I would say it's to be taken from the fact that TWTP is a collection of notes and not intended to be read as "Nietzsche's masterwork", as a lot of Germans (including the Nazis) had taken it to be, in no small part due to Nietzsche's sisters "work." Fortunately, Walter Kaufmann has cleaned that mess up for us English speakers/readers. Without his translation/interpretation, we likely wouldn't be reading Nietzsche the way we do.
With that said, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a resurgence in popularity for TWTP, or Nietzsche in general, with the rise of all these ultra-right wing nationalist groups around the western world. It's incendiary stuff and easy to misinterpret or outright appropriate.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 177
« Reply #2721 on: February 24, 2017, 01:01:43 PM »

ive started this book three times and just cannot get into it.  i dont understand why.  by all accounts i should love it as it has everything i love in a book but it just never really connects.

as far as books that did connect i just finished this book and ate it the FUCK UP.  really interesting stuff.  highly reccomend if you are looking for some easy but interesting nonfiction.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2722 on: February 24, 2017, 01:05:54 PM »
[/img]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51blXIyi6BL.jpg[/img]

[/img]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41b3KoEMrdL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg[/img]

[/img]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51p-TahLLwL._SX308_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg[/img]

[/img]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/415hpFhdXzL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg[/img]

as someone who works tangentially with type of stuff i want to recommend you  "Gangster Warlords" by Ioan Grillo.  its not the "best" book but its really fucking accurate and closest to the reports i have read.

7 year old

« Reply #2723 on: February 24, 2017, 01:27:58 PM »

ive started this book three times and just cannot get into it.  i dont understand why.  by all accounts i should love it as it has everything i love in a book but it just never really connects.
I just finished reading it, got it through the inter-library system because of Rusty's post.
it's really fucking interesting, I felt a little gross reading it at times because I'd catch myself forgetting it was non-fiction, but other than that I loved it. I don't know how far you read, but once I got through the first couple changes in perspective it really picked up for me.

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
  • All we like to listen to is Barry Manilow.
« Reply #2724 on: February 24, 2017, 01:37:24 PM »
I'm reading Stephen King's On Writing. First thing I read from him, actually. It's enlightening and worthy of a [sensible] chuckle. What are his best books?

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2725 on: February 24, 2017, 01:44:29 PM »

I just finished reading it, got it through the inter-library system because of Rusty's post.
it's really fucking interesting, I felt a little gross reading it at times because I'd catch myself forgetting it was non-fiction, but other than that I loved it. I don't know how far you read, but once I got through the first couple changes in perspective it really picked up for me.

alright im giving it another shot tonight.  i think i normally get to around page 40 and just say fuck it.  ill stick it out for at least the first 150 pages this time.

also Can of Soup--- A Spy Among Friends is in my Queue!  ill let you know what i think in a few weeks!

shark tits

« Reply #2726 on: February 24, 2017, 01:45:14 PM »
20matar
i dug christine, the stand, gerald's game, shining, book of short stories[graveyard shift] pet cemetary. i think even green mile was ok, it came in pieces. oh, his best one was maybe the running man or the long walk. both were sorta public game shows. those were the best 2 but he's actually pretty good at writing so all his books are page turners except dolores claiborne. that one sucked shit.
i guess it's pretension maybe but i prolly read 20 or so of his books as a kid but i never throw them on this thread.
i also was a kid but whatever, running man X long walk.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2727 on: February 24, 2017, 02:12:23 PM »
the long walk.

i read this story over 15 years ago and still think about it today.   i believe i read it in "The Bachman Books" which also contains Rage (the story about the school shooting that supposedly is responsible for school shootings and Running man  and mabye one or two more of his stories.

shark tits

« Reply #2728 on: February 24, 2017, 02:28:23 PM »
tortfeasor
yeah, sorta like bands first albums are better i think i dig richard bachman more than stephen king. long walk is more recent to me but running man reminded me of how the media makes people sound worse than they are [whoever was running man they called pediphiles and shit]. the end predicted 9/11 and palahniuk's survivor as well.
i guess just cause he's mainstream or whatever and the movies but stephen king can write.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -4
« Reply #2729 on: February 24, 2017, 04:02:36 PM »
[/img]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51blXIyi6BL.jpg[/img]

[/img]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41b3KoEMrdL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg[/img]

[/img]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51p-TahLLwL._SX308_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg[/img]

[/img]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/415hpFhdXzL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg[/img]

as someone who works tangentially with type of stuff i want to recommend you  "Gangster Warlords" by Ioan Grillo.  its not the "best" book but its really fucking accurate and closest to the reports i have read.

I'll check it out.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of retarded kids and a van full of paraplegics.