Author Topic: books to read  (Read 431162 times)

oyolar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: books to read
« Reply #2640 on: January 22, 2017, 09:59:59 PM »
I've got to read more Pynchon.  I've liked everything I've read so far, but he's one of those authors that I'll get an itch for, read him, and then be fine for a while.

Just finished the first chapter of You Too Can Have A Body Like Mine by Alexandra Kleeman and damn is it really good and unsettling.  Excited to see where it goes.

cookieboy

• Rep: 10
« Reply #2641 on: February 05, 2017, 09:41:04 AM »
Just finished The Pilgrimage by Paulo Coelho, it was such an enjoyable read. Liked it a lot more than The Alchemist.

Peter Zagreus

• Rep: 85
« Reply #2642 on: February 08, 2017, 05:52:21 PM »

Not an American hero, but a hero nonetheless. Breezy, informative read, thanks to Halberstam.

Nietzsche always hypes me up...maybe overly so, sometimes. The Will to Power is a compilation of Nietzsche's more pertinent journal entries, so they read differently than his published material...disjointed bursts of thought, like when you're stoned and feel like you need to capture your profound ideas, so you scribble them down...except Nietzsche's ideas are actually "deep."
Always thought the cover would look good on a t-shirt.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
« Reply #2643 on: February 09, 2017, 09:28:28 PM »
An important detail about The Will to Power was collected and (originally) edited by Nietzsche's Nazi-sympathizing sister and has been critiqued a lot for mischaracterizing a lot of his thoughts and notes.  I've always heard from friend who have read a lot of Nietzsche to take that collection with a massive grain of salt.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #2644 on: February 10, 2017, 07:33:48 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEvsD7pyp5w

I've been on a Mexican prison gang kick for some reason.

Now I've moved on to this:

« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 08:08:57 PM by brycickle »

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Peter Zagreus

• Rep: 85
« Reply #2645 on: February 11, 2017, 07:33:47 AM »
An important detail about The Will to Power was collected and (originally) edited by Nietzsche's Nazi-sympathizing sister and has been critiqued a lot for mischaracterizing a lot of his thoughts and notes.  I've always heard from friend who have read a lot of Nietzsche to take that collection with a massive grain of salt.

If there's a grain of salt to be taken, I would say it's to be taken from the fact that TWTP is a collection of notes and not intended to be read as "Nietzsche's masterwork", as a lot of Germans (including the Nazis) had taken it to be, in no small part due to Nietzsche's sisters "work." Fortunately, Walter Kaufmann has cleaned that mess up for us English speakers/readers. Without his translation/interpretation, we likely wouldn't be reading Nietzsche the way we do.
With that said, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a resurgence in popularity for TWTP, or Nietzsche in general, with the rise of all these ultra-right wing nationalist groups around the western world. It's incendiary stuff and easy to misinterpret or outright appropriate.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #2646 on: February 24, 2017, 01:01:43 PM »
rereading...still gives me the chills..

ive started this book three times and just cannot get into it.  i dont understand why.  by all accounts i should love it as it has everything i love in a book but it just never really connects.

as far as books that did connect i just finished this book and ate it the FUCK UP.  really interesting stuff.  highly reccomend if you are looking for some easy but interesting nonfiction.

more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2647 on: February 24, 2017, 01:05:54 PM »
[/img]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51blXIyi6BL.jpg[/img]

[/img]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41b3KoEMrdL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg[/img]

[/img]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51p-TahLLwL._SX308_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg[/img]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEvsD7pyp5w

I've been on a Mexican prison gang kick for some reason.

Now I've moved on to this:

[/img]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/415hpFhdXzL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg[/img]

as someone who works tangentially with type of stuff i want to recommend you  "Gangster Warlords" by Ioan Grillo.  its not the "best" book but its really fucking accurate and closest to the reports i have read.

7 year old

« Reply #2648 on: February 24, 2017, 01:27:58 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

ive started this book three times and just cannot get into it.  i dont understand why.  by all accounts i should love it as it has everything i love in a book but it just never really connects.
I just finished reading it, got it through the inter-library system because of Rusty's post.
it's really fucking interesting, I felt a little gross reading it at times because I'd catch myself forgetting it was non-fiction, but other than that I loved it. I don't know how far you read, but once I got through the first couple changes in perspective it really picked up for me.

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #2649 on: February 24, 2017, 01:37:24 PM »
I'm reading Stephen King's On Writing. First thing I read from him, actually. It's enlightening and worthy of a [sensible] chuckle. What are his best books?

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2650 on: February 24, 2017, 01:44:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
I just finished reading it, got it through the inter-library system because of Rusty's post.
it's really fucking interesting, I felt a little gross reading it at times because I'd catch myself forgetting it was non-fiction, but other than that I loved it. I don't know how far you read, but once I got through the first couple changes in perspective it really picked up for me.

alright im giving it another shot tonight.  i think i normally get to around page 40 and just say fuck it.  ill stick it out for at least the first 150 pages this time.

also Can of Soup--- A Spy Among Friends is in my Queue!  ill let you know what i think in a few weeks!

shark tits

« Reply #2651 on: February 24, 2017, 01:45:14 PM »
20matar
i dug christine, the stand, gerald's game, shining, book of short stories[graveyard shift] pet cemetary. i think even green mile was ok, it came in pieces. oh, his best one was maybe the running man or the long walk. both were sorta public game shows. those were the best 2 but he's actually pretty good at writing so all his books are page turners except dolores claiborne. that one sucked shit.
i guess it's pretension maybe but i prolly read 20 or so of his books as a kid but i never throw them on this thread.
i also was a kid but whatever, running man X long walk.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2652 on: February 24, 2017, 02:12:23 PM »
the long walk.

i read this story over 15 years ago and still think about it today.   i believe i read it in "The Bachman Books" which also contains Rage (the story about the school shooting that supposedly is responsible for school shootings and Running man  and mabye one or two more of his stories.

shark tits

« Reply #2653 on: February 24, 2017, 02:28:23 PM »
tortfeasor
yeah, sorta like bands first albums are better i think i dig richard bachman more than stephen king. long walk is more recent to me but running man reminded me of how the media makes people sound worse than they are [whoever was running man they called pediphiles and shit]. the end predicted 9/11 and palahniuk's survivor as well.
i guess just cause he's mainstream or whatever and the movies but stephen king can write.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #2654 on: February 24, 2017, 04:02:36 PM »

as someone who works tangentially with type of stuff i want to recommend you  "Gangster Warlords" by Ioan Grillo.  its not the "best" book but its really fucking accurate and closest to the reports i have read.

I'll check it out.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2655 on: February 24, 2017, 04:09:34 PM »
tortfeasor
yeah, sorta like bands first albums are better i think i dig richard bachman more than stephen king. long walk is more recent to me but running man reminded me of how the media makes people sound worse than they are [whoever was running man they called pediphiles and shit]. the end predicted 9/11 and palahniuk's survivor as well.
i guess just cause he's mainstream or whatever and the movies but stephen king can write.

I like the band analogy. It's the same reason I'm wearing an op Ivy hoody right now instead of a rancid one.

shark tits

« Reply #2656 on: February 24, 2017, 11:12:01 PM »
i just remembered, 'desperation' 20matar. holy cow, we shared that book in arizona back in the late 90s. it was set in the desert and vultures would say 'tak entah' and a big cop was arresting all sorts of people just cause, like collecting people in the jail.
i remember my whole house dug that one.
there's a movie of it starring his dark majesty gary busey too.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2657 on: March 08, 2017, 07:34:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

entered the closing stretch of the book last night (maybe 20 pages left)... 
Holy fuck thank you for telling me to give this another shot.  It really is a masterpiece.  probably one of the best books ive ever read.

SPOILERS:                                                       [[[[[[[[[[[[[[I want to hate perry but really i just feel bad for him hickcock can go fuck himself.]]]]]]]]]]]][/sub]

shark tits

« Reply #2658 on: March 09, 2017, 04:09:08 PM »
not done but 'honeybee democracy' has my attention. you ever wonder how a swarm picks a new home after they abscond from your hive and alight in a tree? different special 'scout' bees go looking for hollowed trees and contingent on it's meeting their criteria is how hard they will perform an interpretive [waggle] dance which gives directions to it.
so if they dance hard it will make neighboring bees dance for it. once a majority of bees are dancing the same diretions then they take off and fly there in unison w/ the queen at the center.
supposing 2 camps of bees diverge in opinion, they will do competing waggle dances til one or the other has a majority. in rare instances they'll break off into 2 swarms but if they don't have the queen they return to the branch.
crazy stuff!
they also shake bees awake if they need an unloader. and have a piping noise they make to recruit helpers.

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #2659 on: March 10, 2017, 09:48:45 AM »
I'm reading a book of short stories by Chekhov. This is my first contact with the author, and they're all from early in his career. The stories are all really subtle and sensitive and the only reason I'm not bored to death with all of the middle class Russian drama is because they're all short and his writing flows perfectly. Reading a Virginia Woolf blurb on the back praising his style made it all make so much sense. Not my style at all!

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Rep: -8
« Reply #2660 on: March 11, 2017, 01:07:56 AM »
I'm reading a book of short stories by Chekhov. This is my first contact with the author, and they're all from early in his career. The stories are all really subtle and sensitive and the only reason I'm not bored to death with all of the middle class Russian drama is because they're all short and his writing flows perfectly. Reading a Virginia Woolf blurb on the back praising his style made it all make so much sense. Not my style at all!

Haha. Well-played sir, well-played. I was thinking about picking up Chekhov some time soon, too. But yeah, maybe not my cup of tea as well ("Middle class Russian drama").

I'm about to finish The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Murakami. I'm really liking it. I love dark, surreal literature, so Murakami hits pretty close to home. His writing is a bit too "hip" in order for him to become an all-time favorite for me, but this wasn't the last Murakami novel I picked up.

Tufty

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -26
« Reply #2661 on: March 12, 2017, 07:22:04 AM »
I am half way through and I am a fan. A great insight on the spirit of our era.

Google books review:

"After 1989, capitalism has successfully presented itself as the only realistic political-economic system - a situation that the bank crisis of 2008, far from ending, actually compounded. The book analyses the development and principal features of this capitalist realism as a lived ideological framework. Using examples from politics, films, fiction, work and education, it argues that capitalist realism colours all areas of contemporary experience. But it will also show that, because of a number of inconsistencies and glitches internal to the capitalist reality program capitalism in fact is anything but realistic."

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2662 on: April 05, 2017, 10:52:23 AM »
i guess the earlier posts about king kicked up some dust in the universe because this book ended up falling in my lap (well my friend threw it at me).  it was pretty good... not change my world good but very solid easy and enjoyable read. very lovecraftian(?) ending.

so when i was walking through the bookstore and "Under the Dome" caught my eye i had to pick it up. 

also got a copy of the great gatsby which i never actually read when i was supposed to

Yushin Okami

• Rep: 115
« Reply #2663 on: April 05, 2017, 03:49:35 PM »
This was a really quick read but great. True story too.

"Many people dream of escaping modern life, but most will never act on it. This is the remarkable true story of a man who lived alone in the woods of Maine for 27 years, making this dream a reality?not out of anger at the world, but simply because he preferred to live on his own."
We all know you have two sexy anthropomorphic wolves who buttfuck each other on the bottom of your board.

shark tits

« Reply #2664 on: April 05, 2017, 04:36:46 PM »
This was a really quick read but great. True story too.

"Many people dream of escaping modern life, but most will never act on it. This is the remarkable true story of a man who lived alone in the woods of Maine for 27 years, making this dream a reality?not out of anger at the world, but simply because he preferred to live on his own."
i read the intro to this on vice or somewhere. dude getting busted by the nature cop sneaking food. looked interesting.
just finished a book called 'swarm essentials' that's ok if you're into bees but kinda know a little already. someone gimme some fiction.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #2665 on: April 05, 2017, 06:38:46 PM »
Took Gay Imp Sausage Metal's advice and checked out some of Murakami's short story collections--really liked The Elephant Vanishes.
My wigga!
My fav thing to do on business trips is to read Murakami's short stories while sitting on the plane having a drink

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

posguy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #2666 on: April 06, 2017, 11:15:25 AM »
Just read Hammerhead Six and then Mistakes I Made During the Zombie Apocalpyse. Both were pretty good, Mistakes was a little unnerving. Kid's sitting in a closet after beating his best friends head in with a chair leg and is reflecting on how he got there. Hammerhead Six was definitely a good read, recommend to any who like military nonfiction. Takes place in Pech Valley a few years before the events of Operation Red Wings/Lone Survivor and Restrepo.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 11:21:27 AM by posguy »

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2667 on: April 06, 2017, 12:00:40 PM »
someone gimme some fiction.

have you read "the world according to garp"? 

its my number 4 favorite book of all time and we seem to be on similar page as far as books go.

yungapplejuice

« Reply #2668 on: April 06, 2017, 12:13:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Took Gay Imp Sausage Metal's advice and checked out some of Murakami's short story collections--really liked The Elephant Vanishes.
[close]
My wigga!
My fav thing to do on business trips is to read Murakami's short stories while sitting on the plane having a drink

aww shit , just found this thread and was going to post about re-reading the wind-up bird chronicle !

backinmyday

• Rep: 2
« Reply #2669 on: April 07, 2017, 08:57:16 PM »
Read Steinbeck for the first time last year and fell in love. Started with Grapes, then Mice and Men, then EAST OF EDEN which, holy fuck my new favorite book ever just a masterpiece of someone's craft, now I'm reading Cannery Row. Loving them all, Cannery was a little hard to get into because of my reading schedule lately.

Also read Blood Meridian last year, it was recommended as a book version of Red Dead Redemption. It's kind of complex, I actually read chapter summaries after most of them because I wanted to make sure I was getting what was happening.

No Country For Old Men is also a really good book, better than the movie. It's badass.