Author Topic: books to read  (Read 431372 times)

RIDEFLANNELV2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 50
Re: books to read
« Reply #2700 on: May 28, 2017, 07:02:13 PM »

Haruki Murakami is the shit.

Here Come The Lame Jets

shitsandwich

• Rep: -53
« Reply #2701 on: June 04, 2017, 07:34:34 PM »
I think it's just a bad time for me to be reading Crime and Punishment because I literally can only read at the most 5 pages before I get super bored haha.

I started reading the bible the other day and I actually find it pretty compelling. I think it would be cool to finish the bible, quran and torah before my life is over

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #2702 on: June 05, 2017, 05:20:54 AM »
Is that Murakami collection new? Bold choice for a title.
This is the funniest stuff I've read since Confederacy of Dunces. Couldn't recommend her higher.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2592
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2703 on: June 05, 2017, 09:26:30 AM »

Only 20 pages in but digging it a lot already. Perfect for this heatwave that we're having.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

7 year old

« Reply #2704 on: June 05, 2017, 01:45:24 PM »
I think it's just a bad time for me to be reading Crime and Punishment because I literally can only read at the most 5 pages before I get super bored haha.

I started reading the bible the other day and I actually find it pretty compelling. I think it would be cool to finish the bible, quran and torah before my life is over
I wouldn't bother continuing with a book that bores you. that being said I have trudged through all kinds of bullshit for who knows what reason. the first 150 pages of Crime & Punishment are pretty fucking cool for a book that was written ages ago. after that, fuck it (at least in my opinion).

the bible starts out pretty good but goes to shit pretty quickly. it's so fucking weird. I haven't made it past leviticus cause leviticus sucks.
I'd also like to read the main holy books, but if I died tomorrow I'd probably consider the time I have spent reading the bible a waste.

the torah is pretty much just the first 5 books of the old testament so you should be able to knock that one off quickly if you want to.

shark tits

« Reply #2705 on: June 05, 2017, 02:53:29 PM »

i tried to put this on layaway at the library but those shitbirds reessrved me the hemingway book of the same title! i was pissed as punch so  i didn't take out the hem version, i got a david sedaris book in protest.
i'm almost done w/ 'langstroth's hive and the honeybees' by langstroth aka the 1800s priest who invented the popular 'box hive' that we all [mostly all] use today. he's got funny, flowery language about how the bee was given to us by god like the fruit tree and he really loves his bees so it's an enjoyable read. if you're not already into bees it might just spark your interest? or not....

shitsandwich

• Rep: -53
« Reply #2706 on: June 06, 2017, 05:24:50 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I wouldn't bother continuing with a book that bores you. that being said I have trudged through all kinds of bullshit for who knows what reason. the first 150 pages of Crime & Punishment are pretty fucking cool for a book that was written ages ago. after that, fuck it (at least in my opinion).

the bible starts out pretty good but goes to shit pretty quickly. it's so fucking weird. I haven't made it past leviticus cause leviticus sucks.
I'd also like to read the main holy books, but if I died tomorrow I'd probably consider the time I have spent reading the bible a waste.

the torah is pretty much just the first 5 books of the old testament so you should be able to knock that one off quickly if you want to.

Yeah I agree to a certain extent but sometimes books don't really hit me until I start reflecting upon them. I feel like this is especially so for classics cus sometimes they can be a little too dense and dull haha

Ah man that sucks to hear about the bible haha hopefully it will pick up after leviticus.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 09:18:26 PM by shitsandwich »

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #2707 on: June 06, 2017, 08:04:26 PM »
I just can't shake this Steven king kick and I'm glad I didn't...

I just finished under the dome and it's easily one of the top 20 books I've ever read. Would be top 10 if the end didn't kind of turn into a clisterfuck... but that's typical king.

I really recommend it if you are looking for something to get burried into

Also on the books that bore you kick... if you are not feeling it why bother. If it was meant to be it will come around your way again. Books have a funny way of showing up on your lap when you are ready for them. No need to force it.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 07:28:19 AM by tortfeasor »
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 764
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2708 on: June 08, 2017, 04:32:46 AM »
https://www.bookdepository.com/Also-Space-from-Hot-Something-Else-Reinaart-Vanhoe/9789491677595

"Although contemporary art in Indonesia is completely integrated within the global art discourse, the fundamental context of Indonesian artists is in fact quite different from that of the contemporary Western artistic practicein which notions of individuality and autonomy play a key role. Indonesian initiatives tend to include more of an awareness of local networks, and a contextual (as opposed to purely conceptual) way of thinking and acting. This softcover book, Also-Space, From Hot to Something Else, focuses mainly on a Jakarta-based artists initiative called ruangrupa, andto a lesser degreeon a number of other Indonesian artists and initiatives, as case studies of how Indonesian artists organize and manifest themselves individually and collectively."

matta

• Rep: 26
« Reply #2709 on: June 08, 2017, 05:26:37 PM »
for those looking into to Crime and Punishment i highly recommend it. its never really a slog- its very modern in its pacing and pretty gripping the entire time. Same goes for Brothers Karamozov, which is fantastic, but i found The Idiot to be kind of a drag (aristocratic settings dont really do it for me). For those trying out Dostoevsky via Notes from Underground, keep in mind that book is much more dense and generally inaccessible than C+P, Brothers K, etc., so it may not be the best introduction to his work. Weee!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 10:06:47 PM by matta »

RIDEFLANNELV2

• Rep: 50
« Reply #2710 on: June 08, 2017, 08:13:10 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
i tried to put this on layaway at the library but those shitbirds reessrved me the hemingway book of the same title! i was pissed as punch so  i didn't take out the hem version, i got a david sedaris book in protest.
i'm almost done w/ 'langstroth's hive and the honeybees' by langstroth aka the 1800s priest who invented the popular 'box hive' that we all [mostly all] use today. he's got funny, flowery language about how the bee was given to us by god like the fruit tree and he really loves his bees so it's an enjoyable read. if you're not already into bees it might just spark your interest? or not....

That book about the bees sounds rad! Maybe I'll check it out. Also, I got a good laugh about the librarians reserving the wrong title for you. Haruki is big on paying homage, so the Hemingway title confusion makes sense. What Sedaris book do you get? I've read almost all of his work "Me Talk Pretty One Day, When You Are Engulfed In Flames, Dress Your Family In Corduroy and Denim, and Holiday on Ice". If you got his newest book, is it any good? I heard him promoting it on Fresh Air last week, just haven't gotten around to checking it out yet.

I just finished under the dome and it's easily one of the top 20 books I've ever read. Would be top 10 if the end didn't kind of turn into a clisterfuck... but that's typical king.

Also on the books that bore you kick... if you are not feeling it why bother. If it was meant to be it will come around your way again. Books have a funny way of showing up on your lap when you are ready for them. No need to force it.

Steven King is the shit! Just read Salem's Lot on a recommendation about a month ago and got into a King kick too! Started reading some of his kid's stuff (Joe Hill) and really liked "Heart Shaped Box". It was a real quick read, kind of cheesy, but entertaining nonetheless. Tried to read Joe Hill's "The Fireman" afterwards and kind of got bored with it, hopefully, I can pick it up sooner than later and finish it.

About to finish Murakami's first novel "Norwegian Wood". Looking on recommendations for my next read.

Here Come The Lame Jets

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #2711 on: June 08, 2017, 08:30:35 PM »

I bought the hardcover version of this in NYC over a decade ago, thought it would be great b/c I was a huge Tintin fan, and it turned out to be terrible.

Check out Rose Madder, that's a good one.

Last book I read I actually translated with my dad. It was a poetry book written by a woman I was insanely in love with and still am despite all the pressure and sadness. I also really miss reading regularly, I haven't read a novel in over two years.

shark tits

« Reply #2712 on: June 08, 2017, 08:36:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

That book about the bees sounds rad! Maybe I'll check it out. Also, I got a good laugh about the librarians reserving the wrong title for you. Haruki is big on paying homage, so the Hemingway title confusion makes sense. What Sedaris book do you get? I've read almost all of his work "Me Talk Pretty One Day, When You Are Engulfed In Flames, Dress Your Family In Corduroy and Denim, and Holiday on Ice". If you got his newest book, is it any good? I heard him promoting it on Fresh Air last week, just haven't gotten around to checking it out yet.

Expand Quote

[close]

Steven King is the shit! Just read Salem's Lot on a recommendation about a month ago and got into a King kick too! Started reading some of his kid's stuff (Joe Hill) and really liked "Heart Shaped Box". It was a real quick read, kind of cheesy, but entertaining nonetheless. Tried to read Joe Hill's "The Fireman" afterwards and kind of got bored with it, hopefully, I can pick it up sooner than later and finish it.

About to finish Murakami's first novel "Norwegian Wood". Looking on recommendations for my next read.
i read 'me talk pretty' and some other sedaris long ago. this one is called 'theft by finding' and it's all diary entries from late 70s-early 80s [so far]. dude lived a lot more wild than i remembered from his other books. doing meth and acid, hitchhiking around the country and such. i dig that sort of stuff and paragraph to page diary entries means you can pick it up anywhere or read any amount at a time.
the 'men w/out women' book arrived and i'm a few stories in on that. digging it, thanks for the recommendation!

Peter Zagreus

• Rep: 85
« Reply #2713 on: June 08, 2017, 10:03:23 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I bought the hardcover version of this in NYC over a decade ago, thought it would be great b/c I was a huge Tintin fan, and it turned out to be terrible.

Expand Quote
[close]

Last book I read I actually translated with my dad. It was a poetry book written by a woman I was insanely in love with and still am despite all the pressure and sadness. I also really miss reading regularly, I haven't read a novel in over two years.

Can you say more about "being a huge Tintin fan" and thinking the book was "terrible"?
Also, you translated a book with your dad? And it was published? ELABORATE MAN.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2714 on: June 09, 2017, 06:13:15 AM »

Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

holy shit a lot just happened in this thread...

first off David Sederis is a literary treasure and among the great american writers in history.  In new york times terms i would say his books fall under "highly enjoyable" and "refreshing" category.  one of the few authors i can think of where i laugh out loud reading...  anyone who has not read any of his books please stop what you are reading and get cracking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXfzRXxThOY

SECOND:

dude you have to to elaborate on your entire post....  what languages are you translating? do you and your dad translate a lot together? is this like playing catch?
who is this woman who you love? tell me about her poetry.  is she the reason you stopped reading?!?! i need answers!!

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #2715 on: June 09, 2017, 11:12:57 AM »
Can you say more about "being a huge Tintin fan" and thinking the book was "terrible"?

Well I owned all the Tintin books since I was nine. Even visited the Tintin shop at the same time and bought a watch with the art from Destination Moon from it. I read all those books for years. Preferred the books to the TV show. Then I found out about the Alph-Art book and Congo book. Found the Congo book, started to read it, and it just seemed so racist - Tintin telling the Congolese "This is how a real man does things" etc.

Then I started to research Herge and he seemed to be pretty sketchy, but like R. Crumb he expressed his embarrassment with promoting stereotypes. But then I thought about how The Blue Lotus had a section where Tintin aimed to refute negative, outdated Chinese stereotypes. Still, I was just over it.

dude you have to to elaborate on your entire post....  what languages are you translating? do you and your dad translate a lot together? is this like playing catch?
who is this woman who you love? tell me about her poetry.  is she the reason you stopped reading?!?! i need answers!!

Haha, I honestly can't tell if you two are being sarcastic or not. Basically my dad and I don't spend too much time together, and we never did anything close to translating a book. The woman gave me a published poetry book of hers written in Arabic. Last year I visited my dad, and he  translated it while I wrote down what he said.
It was a bonding experience for us, and to bond over her work was really meaningful for me. Her poetry was progressive. But she grew increasingly distant from me while I did everything I could to be there.
I never cared so much about someone before. There's more to the story but I'll leave it there, it's painful to talk about. I've been depressed for months.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2716 on: June 09, 2017, 01:13:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Well I owned all the Tintin books since I was nine. Even visited the Tintin shop at the same time and bought a watch with the art from Destination Moon from it. I read all those books for years. Preferred the books to the TV show. Then I found out about the Alph-Art book and Congo book. Found the Congo book, started to read it, and it just seemed so racist - Tintin telling the Congolese "This is how a real man does things" etc.

Then I started to research Herge and he seemed to be pretty sketchy, but like R. Crumb he expressed his embarrassment with promoting stereotypes. But then I thought about how The Blue Lotus had a section where Tintin aimed to refute negative, outdated Chinese stereotypes. Still, I was just over it.

Expand Quote
[close]

Haha, I honestly can't tell if you two are being sarcastic or not. Basically my dad and I don't spend too much time together, and we never did anything close to translating a book. The woman gave me a published poetry book of hers written in Arabic. Last year I visited my dad, and he  translated it while I wrote down what he said.
It was a bonding experience for us, and to bond over her work was really meaningful for me. Her poetry was progressive. But she grew increasingly distant from me while I did everything I could to be there.
I never cared so much about someone before. There's more to the story but I'll leave it there, it's painful to talk about. I've been depressed for months.

dude i was being one hundred percent sincere.  obviously i understand why someone would not want to share the most intimate details of the intersection of their literary, love, and family life on a defunct skateboarding magazines message board. but shit--- this whole thing sounds like a fucking Khaled Hosseini book.  its your life and i'm just being nosy but it sounds like you have a story to tell.  if you find a medium to tell it PM a link.  i would be really interested. 

SFblah

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 668
« Reply #2717 on: June 28, 2017, 09:15:35 AM »
I just finished this which is really fucking good. The journalist and a photographer posed as refugees to report it. The amount of determination, patience, and money it takes someone to go through this is insane. These refugees get shaken down by so many people along the way on top of the high amount they already pay.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #2718 on: June 28, 2017, 10:19:12 AM »
just started this yesterday good read even if you dont know science and physics all that well

shark tits

« Reply #2719 on: June 29, 2017, 07:33:30 PM »
i started one called 'a $500 house in detroit' and i'm digging it thus far. feel slightly upset i missed the window there but i'm stoked to read about people making a go of it.

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Rep: -8
« Reply #2720 on: July 06, 2017, 04:20:47 AM »
Anyone here read Hopscotch by Julio Cortazar? I am intrigued by its form:

"Written in an episodic, snapshot manner, the novel has 155 chapters, the last 99 designated as "expendable." Some of these "expendable" chapters fill in gaps that occur in the main storyline, while others add information about the characters or record the aesthetic or literary speculations of a writer named Morelli who makes a brief appearance in the narrative. Some of the "expendable" chapters at first seem like random musings, but upon closer inspection solve questions that arise during the reading of the first two parts of the book.

An author's note suggests that the book would best be read in one of two possible ways, either progressively from chapters 1 to 56 or by "hopscotching" through the entire set of 155 chapters according to a "Table of Instructions" designated by the author. Cort?zar also leaves the reader the option of choosing a unique path through the narrative."

Have you read Hopscotch by now?

I'm in the middle of it right now. It's one hell of a book I must say - just as crazy as your post made it seem. Even though it's a bit more linear than I thought at first: As recommended by the author, you read the first 56 chapters in the same order as you would read any other book. But between most chapters, you jump between one or more expendable chapters, which - more or less - enlighten your reading process. With each chapter, especially with the expendable ones, you never know what you're going to get: sometimes lyrics from a jazz song, sometimes a chapter from Morelli (a fictional philosopher), sometimes an extract from The Guardian, sometimes a director's cut-style additional chapter from the original plotline, sometimes a dialogue, sometimes an interior dialogue where every line belongs to a different sentence. The "main story" (in lack of a better world) centers around Horacio Oliveira, an Argentinian boheme living in 1950s Paris, and how he met, loved and lost "La Maga". Hopscotch is not a conventional love story, even though the relationship between Horacio and la Maga is gripping and at times heartbreaking. The book is not exactly a page turner either, but it's a redeeming read when you take your time. I like the book's crazy experiments with form, some more than others though. But that's ok, I guess Cortazar didn't want to write a novel like thousands before him and that's what makes it interesting.

I had to take a break in the middle of Hopscotch though, for the sake of a more straightforward book. I was sceptical about it when it came out a few years ago, but I decided to give Submission by Michel Houellebecq a try. All in all, it's an important book and I'm glad Houellebecq had the balls to publish a novel like that. I feel like the left throughout the West hasn't found a way to address and understand Islamism yet, even though it's a pressing issue for everybody and too important to leave it to the right. Houellebecq designs a Dystopian future, where a Muslim party with a charismatic leader wins the French election, because they succeeded in presenting themselves as a liberal alternative to Le Pen's Front National. It's an interesting experiment in thought, which will hopefully spark a debate among the liberal left (probably not). While I didn't mind Submission's politics, I didn't really like its literary qualities. But maybe I was just spoilt by Cortazar.

Has someone else read it? What did you think?

« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 04:28:30 AM by AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice »

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #2721 on: July 10, 2017, 11:08:26 PM »
Already Dead by Denis Johnson. I'm new to his writing, but so far I really enjoy him.

shark tits

« Reply #2722 on: July 30, 2017, 12:05:44 PM »
'the way to bee: meditation and the art of beekeeping' was dece. perhaps not for everyone.
read another called 'a world w/out bees' that's a few yrs old but kinda has a plan to preserve bees [spoiler alert: heterogenety].
for fun i read one called 'orangutan' by an irish american alcoholic. he's real irish like immigrant style, not just redheaded white trash w/ a drinking problem. he could've delved deeper into gnarliness and ordinary madness but it's a good read regardless.

colin

« Reply #2723 on: July 30, 2017, 08:01:36 PM »

« Reply #2724 on: August 02, 2017, 02:14:15 AM »
Finished Hillbilly Elegy by JD Vance a while ago. It's a study of an environment that has grown increasingly foreign to liberal fucks like (most of) us. Compulsory reading for anyone interested in the social transformations of the past decades that have led to the right-wing backlash sweeping the West right now. Really good!

Now I'm on to Book 2 of Knausgaard's My Struggle. So far, I love his musings about the alienating experience of being a father for alleged "rebels" like him and the standardizations of "liberal" societies such as Sweden in the 21st century. We'll see if I get bored with this during the next 400 pages or if Knausgaard can keep surprising me.

On a sidenote, I refuse to read the German translations of his work, merely because they omitted the original title "My Struggle" in the translations. I feel like this is flying in the face of what an author like Knausgaard is trying to achieve. Also, calling the translation Lieben ("To Love") just sounds stupid.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 378
« Reply #2725 on: August 02, 2017, 10:25:20 PM »
I get that but seeing as how Knausgaard has said he's fine with Germany not using Mein Kampf as the title, it's not a huge deal.  Lieben is a weird title though.  I know that the UK has given them kinda unique subtitles (A Death in the Family, A Man in Love, Boyhood Island, Dancing in the Dark, and Some Rain Must Fall respectively) so they could have at least done something cool like that.

I really like all of the volumes (especially Book 3, which I thought had an interesting and impactful atmosphere) and am excited for the final translation to come out.  I've been kind of in a cycle of reading a volume around May/June and then November/December so it'll be weird to still have to wait since Book 6 is scheduled to release some time in 2018.

EDIT: Speaking of Knausgaard, he's going on a book tour for some upcoming essay collections he's releasing. I just got tickets for the NYC event (if anyone else end up going, feel free to PM me) but it might be worth it to do some googling and see if he's going to be around your city: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/karl-ove-knausgaard-presents-autumn-tickets-36486408831?err=29
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 03:20:01 PM by oyolar »

« Reply #2726 on: August 04, 2017, 02:17:51 AM »
Yeah, you're right. Publishing his books under the title Karl Ove Knausgaard: Mein Kampf 1 would have been wrong. Still, there's something about the German and British subtitles that I don't like. I prefer the American translations instead. I'm liking Book 2 so far btw.

Interesting. I've only read Book 1 and parts of Book 2, but I always thought Book 3 was the one that interested me the least. I might reconsider now though. What did you like about it (apart from the atmosphere)?

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 378
« Reply #2727 on: August 04, 2017, 02:09:23 PM »
Well, it's pretty par for what you'd expect from him stylistically, but it feels much more linear than the other two which is a nice break (even though I like his playing with time and his meanderings).  It also really helps explain more of his relationship with his father and develop the themes in Book 1 (and a little for Book 2 as well although that's mostly because you just feel like you understand him more).  But honestly, the atmosphere is really what does it, the cool way he captures the freedom of a young childhood outdoors, his father's looming presence, the nervousness of going to school, and then lets them blend and bleed together is really well done.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
« Reply #2728 on: August 04, 2017, 11:30:36 PM »
I went to a reading Knausgaard did at 92Y in NYC a couple years ago and got Volumes 1 and 2 signed. It was pretty cool. I wonder if they'll be worth anything someday. I read Volume 3 but then stopped following him for a bit. Think I'll pick up the newer volumes soon and get back into it.

shark tits

« Reply #2729 on: August 22, 2017, 01:37:18 PM »
i just snapped into one called 'my damage' by mr keith morris [goldstein].
was a big fan of circle jerks as a kid and black flag w/ him as singer more than any other. idk what the hell he's up to today, diabetes and a band named 'deep woods off' or some shit. i'll know more when i finish but i'm digging the 80s stories.