Author Topic: books to read  (Read 248220 times)

Alan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
Re: books to read
« Reply #2760 on: April 25, 2017, 12:54:25 PM »
I finished Heart of a Dog by Bulgakov a few days ago. I've been avoiding it for years because I didn't want to be let down after Master and Margarita, but it proved to be a great novel.

Currently reading Suspended Sentences by Patrick Modiano. I like his style. Very unassuming and meandering, but interesting enough to keep you reading.

Anyone here read Hopscotch by Julio Cortazar? I am intrigued by its form:

"Written in an episodic, snapshot manner, the novel has 155 chapters, the last 99 designated as "expendable." Some of these "expendable" chapters fill in gaps that occur in the main storyline, while others add information about the characters or record the aesthetic or literary speculations of a writer named Morelli who makes a brief appearance in the narrative. Some of the "expendable" chapters at first seem like random musings, but upon closer inspection solve questions that arise during the reading of the first two parts of the book.

An author's note suggests that the book would best be read in one of two possible ways, either progressively from chapters 1 to 56 or by "hopscotching" through the entire set of 155 chapters according to a "Table of Instructions" designated by the author. Cort?zar also leaves the reader the option of choosing a unique path through the narrative."
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

smellsdead

• Rep: 84
« Reply #2761 on: April 27, 2017, 04:25:26 PM »
Super excited to read this-
my brother sent it to me for my birthday
Also he had a book of short stories published recently which i ordered and should arrive soon
Peep it- https://issuu.com/lespresseseditables/docs/les_presses_e__ditables_-_baad
Peoples history is a must

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Rep: -21
« Reply #2762 on: April 28, 2017, 09:11:52 AM »

Anyone here read Hopscotch by Julio Cortazar? I am intrigued by its form:

"Written in an episodic, snapshot manner, the novel has 155 chapters, the last 99 designated as "expendable." Some of these "expendable" chapters fill in gaps that occur in the main storyline, while others add information about the characters or record the aesthetic or literary speculations of a writer named Morelli who makes a brief appearance in the narrative. Some of the "expendable" chapters at first seem like random musings, but upon closer inspection solve questions that arise during the reading of the first two parts of the book.

An author's note suggests that the book would best be read in one of two possible ways, either progressively from chapters 1 to 56 or by "hopscotching" through the entire set of 155 chapters according to a "Table of Instructions" designated by the author. Cort?zar also leaves the reader the option of choosing a unique path through the narrative."

Haven't read Hopscotch yet, but I'm about to. Same here, I love experimental fiction with that sort of style. It reminds me a lot of The Savage Detectives by Roberto Bolano. I'm sure Cortazar's work was a big influence on Bolano. Anyway, if anyone has already read Hopscotch, I'd be interested what you thought about it, too.

SFblah

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
« Reply #2763 on: May 01, 2017, 06:41:19 AM »
I just finished this which is really relevant at this time. Luiselli (Story of My Teeth) volunteered in NY immigration courts to interview children who travelled alone from South America and the answers to the 40 questions were used by their lawyer to help build their case on avoiding deportation. I can't imagine living in NY and then paying a coyote to bring your 10yr old up from Honduras, Guatemala, or El Salvador and hoping they make it.

Thrillho

• Rep: 107
« Reply #2764 on: May 01, 2017, 12:31:13 PM »
I just finished It, which took like a month because I read slow as shit and King insists on describing someone unable to scream for 3 paragraphs.

I saw the movie as a 4 or 5 year old and it scared me for years, so I wanted to understand better what I was so afraid of.  Also, the new movie is coming out and I just gotta be that "well, IN THE BOOK" guy.  I assume they won't be biting tongues and having a psychic arm wrestle through space in the new movie.  People want to see that clown.

I liked his overall appreciation and expression of childhood.  Kind of like in a Lovecraft story, the knowledge or truth of It destroys them, but not every aspect.  It ends their childhood.
It as a character was a let down for me, as I have come to almost expect from King's top tier bad guys.  Henry was much more interesting/scary, as well as the chapter of Patrick.  Tom seemed a little excessive and drawn out with no real point in the end.

Favorite parts:
Suicidal Bill stealing his dad's gun and shooting Teenage Werewolf in the face like 5 times.
Paul Bunyan statue coming to life.
Everyone using Eddie's resporator like a 6 Demon Bag.
Henry talking to the moon.
Eddie getting snaked by a scooter.

n0torious

• Rep: 51
  • "He looked like he didn't care."
« Reply #2765 on: May 01, 2017, 12:49:07 PM »

This was fantastic. If you like true crime, read it. The Osage tribe once had the wealthiest people per capita in the world, as their reservation contained lucrative oil deposits. But one by one they kept dying under questionable circumstances. The book reconstructs the case, focusing on an Osage woman who survived the slaughter, and the FBI agent J. Edgar Hoover sent to solve it. It's not like you *need* more examples of the soul corroding impact of white supremacy, but you get a particularly pummeling instance in Killers of the Flower Moon. Apparently Leo is going to make it into a movie.

SFblah

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2766 on: May 01, 2017, 12:57:33 PM »

This was fantastic. If you like true crime, read it. The Osage tribe once had the wealthiest people per capita in the world, as their reservation contained lucrative oil deposits. But one by one they kept dying under questionable circumstances. The book reconstructs the case, focusing on an Osage woman who survived the slaughter, and the FBI agent J. Edgar Hoover sent to solve it. It's not like you *need* more examples of the soul corroding impact of white supremacy, but you get a particularly pummeling instance in Killers of the Flower Moon. Apparently Leo is going to make it into a movie.

I heard this guy interviewed on a podcast and wanna read this so bad.

n0torious

• Rep: 51
  • "He looked like he didn't care."
« Reply #2767 on: May 01, 2017, 01:07:28 PM »
I heard this guy interviewed on a podcast and wanna read this so bad.

Same! Flew through it, gripping read.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 197
« Reply #2768 on: May 01, 2017, 08:23:23 PM »
Alan - Hopscotch sounds amazing.  I'll put it on my list but not sure when I'll get to it.

I'm digging my way through House of Leaves and it's an absolute clusterfuck but also one of the coolest books I've ever read.  Danielewski has a newer series that I've been wanting to get into but I gotta finish this one first.

HoL is fucking amazing. I've been keeping up with The Familiar too (about to finish the most recent volume this weekend) and it is even more insane. I'm happy to share my thoughts on it if you care.

Just barely saw this. I'm about 400 pages into HoL so I've got a pretty decent chunk left. I bought the first book of The Familiar and flipped through it to see what I'm in for, it looks pretty insane. Isn't he supposed to do like 15 of them? I don't know how he can keep that all together but he's definitely working on another level than most writers. I'm at kind of a slow part in HoL but I think I'll try and power through it tonight and get to more of the weird shit.

Depending on how you're reading HoL, you're probably further along than you think.  I remember when I read it, showing my friends my copy of the book and saying "I'm barely halfway through" but having like 2 or 3 bookmarks in the page and them saying "well, it looks like you've read a lot!" before I realized that I was more like 3/4 of the way through it.  I love that book and should probably re-read it sooner than later.

As for The Familiar, he's actually doing 27 volumes - which is even more insane.  It's basically like HoL and The 50 Year Sword but ramped up to a million and throw in more imagery and picture.  It's insane but what I appreciate about Danielewski is that it never feels random or pointless.  You feel ok trusting that he knows what he's doing and what he's aiming for.  He might not always succeed (see Only Revolutions), but it's never pointless. 

What I find so fascinating about The Familiar is that he's balancing 9 storylines and even though you know that they'll all eventually intersect, you can imagine that being dragged out in a meaningful, entertaining, and impactful way over 27 volumes.  Except they're already starting to intersect 4 volume in.  So that just makes me wonder how insane will it get later on?

But I finished Vol. 4, so I'm on to By The Night in Chile by Bolano.  It's neither an easy nor overly long read - I don't think Bolano is difficult to read but he's still thorough and dense and the whole book is around 110 pages long - but it's written as a rant basically so while it's easy to get wrapped up, you never are sure where you'll get a clean break to pull yourself out.  So if you don't have an hour to spend on the story, it's difficult to pick the book up.  Still intriguing but I'm basically reading it to try and get to my next Bataille book.

HFS40000

• Rep: 0
« Reply #2769 on: May 02, 2017, 04:05:52 PM »
Alan - Hopscotch sounds amazing.  I'll put it on my list but not sure when I'll get to it.

I'm digging my way through House of Leaves and it's an absolute clusterfuck but also one of the coolest books I've ever read.  Danielewski has a newer series that I've been wanting to get into but I gotta finish this one first.

HoL is fucking amazing. I've been keeping up with The Familiar too (about to finish the most recent volume this weekend) and it is even more insane. I'm happy to share my thoughts on it if you care.

Just barely saw this. I'm about 400 pages into HoL so I've got a pretty decent chunk left. I bought the first book of The Familiar and flipped through it to see what I'm in for, it looks pretty insane. Isn't he supposed to do like 15 of them? I don't know how he can keep that all together but he's definitely working on another level than most writers. I'm at kind of a slow part in HoL but I think I'll try and power through it tonight and get to more of the weird shit.

What I find so fascinating about The Familiar is that he's balancing 9 storylines and even though you know that they'll all eventually intersect, you can imagine that being dragged out in a meaningful, entertaining, and impactful way over 27 volumes.  Except they're already starting to intersect 4 volume in.  So that just makes me wonder how insane will it get later on?

He's definitely really good at this.  All of the major shifts in form are eased into pretty naturally, so you feel it unfolding around you before you're in the middle of something crazy.  I'm surprised how engaged I still am even after things have nearly gone off the rails a dozen different ways, because he still plays by his own set of rules that keep it grounded enough to understand and keep a good grip on all that's going on.

shitsandwich

• Rep: -50
« Reply #2770 on: May 07, 2017, 10:27:49 PM »
Just started this last night and got a pretty good chunk of it finished...  Really funny and informative. and it sold out of majority of Barnes and Nobles in 24 hrs

I'm reading this too! I'm a big fan of his and even though he's talked about a lot of these stories on air its cool to hear the in depth versions. A lot of my reading has been kind of dense lately so its nice to read something easy and fun.

Peter Zagreus

• Rep: 19
« Reply #2771 on: May 13, 2017, 11:19:47 PM »

« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 10:46:14 AM by Peter Zagreus »

SFblah

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2772 on: May 26, 2017, 07:30:33 AM »
Started this. Pretty weird so far.

shitsandwich

« Reply #2773 on: May 26, 2017, 09:27:44 PM »
I've tried to read Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevksy a few times but always end up reading something else. Has anyone read it and confirm its worth the read?

shark tits

« Reply #2774 on: May 27, 2017, 07:33:24 AM »
I've tried to read Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevksy a few times but always end up reading something else. Has anyone read it and confirm its worth the read?
i've had the same experience reading his 'the idiot'. every time i start it i end up getting kicked off the farm and leaving book behind/returning to library.
crime and punishment goes though! raskolnikov is about the greatest name for a character, the cop's friendly ways of banter to get the confession, the whore [good whore forced by capitalism? before revolution] and the shitty landlady.
also, taking responsibilty and some other concepts.
i liked it a lot and also karamazov. read notes from underground but don't really recall anything about it.

Grind King Rims

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 192
  • They really work!
    • Amaze your friends!
« Reply #2775 on: May 27, 2017, 08:52:42 AM »
Read Post Office by Charles Bukowski on a 4 hour flight last week. Despite how much of a piece of shit he is, I always enjoy reading his writing.

Meanwhile I've been 200 pages away from finishing A Little Life for about a month or two now.

"Strictly for the culture" - Brian Wenning 2017

Tongue punching the Life Gnar button since 2011.

shitsandwich

« Reply #2776 on: May 27, 2017, 12:22:30 PM »
i've had the same experience reading his 'the idiot'. every time i start it i end up getting kicked off the farm and leaving book behind/returning to library.
crime and punishment goes though! raskolnikov is about the greatest name for a character, the cop's friendly ways of banter to get the confession, the whore [good whore forced by capitalism? before revolution] and the shitty landlady.
i liked it a lot and also karamazov. read notes from underground but don't really recall anything about it.

Alright I'm giving it another chance!

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
  • All we like to listen to is Barry Manilow.
« Reply #2777 on: May 27, 2017, 12:29:03 PM »

Alright I'm giving it another chance!

I had to skim through Crime and Punishment for a Contemporary History class, so I'm eagerly awaiting for the reply. My reading did the book no justice, and the translation was crappy and from the French translation. There has been a new wave of translations of Russian books directly to Brazilian Portuguese, and it's night and day compared to the older stuff. Some argue (nice weasel words there) that the French are quite liberal when it comes to translating... so it's like playing a game of telephone.

RIDEFLANNELV2

• Rep: 41
« Reply #2778 on: May 28, 2017, 07:02:13 PM »

Haruki Murakami is the shit.

shitsandwich

« Reply #2779 on: June 04, 2017, 07:34:34 PM »
I think it's just a bad time for me to be reading Crime and Punishment because I literally can only read at the most 5 pages before I get super bored haha.

I started reading the bible the other day and I actually find it pretty compelling. I think it would be cool to finish the bible, quran and torah before my life is over

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
« Reply #2780 on: June 05, 2017, 05:20:54 AM »
Is that Murakami collection new? Bold choice for a title.
This is the funniest stuff I've read since Confederacy of Dunces. Couldn't recommend her higher.

Alan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
« Reply #2781 on: June 05, 2017, 09:26:30 AM »

Only 20 pages in but digging it a lot already. Perfect for this heatwave that we're having.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

7 year old

• Rep: 56
« Reply #2782 on: June 05, 2017, 01:45:24 PM »
I think it's just a bad time for me to be reading Crime and Punishment because I literally can only read at the most 5 pages before I get super bored haha.

I started reading the bible the other day and I actually find it pretty compelling. I think it would be cool to finish the bible, quran and torah before my life is over
I wouldn't bother continuing with a book that bores you. that being said I have trudged through all kinds of bullshit for who knows what reason. the first 150 pages of Crime & Punishment are pretty fucking cool for a book that was written ages ago. after that, fuck it (at least in my opinion).

the bible starts out pretty good but goes to shit pretty quickly. it's so fucking weird. I haven't made it past leviticus cause leviticus sucks.
I'd also like to read the main holy books, but if I died tomorrow I'd probably consider the time I have spent reading the bible a waste.

the torah is pretty much just the first 5 books of the old testament so you should be able to knock that one off quickly if you want to.

shark tits

« Reply #2783 on: June 05, 2017, 02:53:29 PM »

i tried to put this on layaway at the library but those shitbirds reessrved me the hemingway book of the same title! i was pissed as punch so  i didn't take out the hem version, i got a david sedaris book in protest.
i'm almost done w/ 'langstroth's hive and the honeybees' by langstroth aka the 1800s priest who invented the popular 'box hive' that we all [mostly all] use today. he's got funny, flowery language about how the bee was given to us by god like the fruit tree and he really loves his bees so it's an enjoyable read. if you're not already into bees it might just spark your interest? or not....

shitsandwich

« Reply #2784 on: June 06, 2017, 05:24:50 PM »

I wouldn't bother continuing with a book that bores you. that being said I have trudged through all kinds of bullshit for who knows what reason. the first 150 pages of Crime & Punishment are pretty fucking cool for a book that was written ages ago. after that, fuck it (at least in my opinion).

the bible starts out pretty good but goes to shit pretty quickly. it's so fucking weird. I haven't made it past leviticus cause leviticus sucks.
I'd also like to read the main holy books, but if I died tomorrow I'd probably consider the time I have spent reading the bible a waste.

the torah is pretty much just the first 5 books of the old testament so you should be able to knock that one off quickly if you want to.

Yeah I agree to a certain extent but sometimes books don't really hit me until I start reflecting upon them. I feel like this is especially so for classics cus sometimes they can be a little too dense and dull haha

Ah man that sucks to hear about the bible haha hopefully it will pick up after leviticus.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 09:18:26 PM by shitsandwich »

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 177
« Reply #2785 on: June 06, 2017, 08:04:26 PM »
I just can't shake this Steven king kick and I'm glad I didn't...

I just finished under the dome and it's easily one of the top 20 books I've ever read. Would be top 10 if the end didn't kind of turn into a clisterfuck... but that's typical king.

I really recommend it if you are looking for something to get burried into

Also on the books that bore you kick... if you are not feeling it why bother. If it was meant to be it will come around your way again. Books have a funny way of showing up on your lap when you are ready for them. No need to force it.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 07:28:19 AM by tortfeasor »

behavioralguide

• Rep: 101
  • dog stuff
« Reply #2786 on: June 08, 2017, 04:32:46 AM »
https://www.bookdepository.com/Also-Space-from-Hot-Something-Else-Reinaart-Vanhoe/9789491677595

"Although contemporary art in Indonesia is completely integrated within the global art discourse, the fundamental context of Indonesian artists is in fact quite different from that of the contemporary Western artistic practicein which notions of individuality and autonomy play a key role. Indonesian initiatives tend to include more of an awareness of local networks, and a contextual (as opposed to purely conceptual) way of thinking and acting. This softcover book, Also-Space, From Hot to Something Else, focuses mainly on a Jakarta-based artists initiative called ruangrupa, andto a lesser degreeon a number of other Indonesian artists and initiatives, as case studies of how Indonesian artists organize and manifest themselves individually and collectively."

matta

• Rep: -2
« Reply #2787 on: June 08, 2017, 05:26:37 PM »
for those looking into to Crime and Punishment i highly recommend it. its never really a slog- its very modern in its pacing and pretty gripping the entire time. Same goes for Brothers Karamozov, which is fantastic, but i found The Idiot to be kind of a drag (aristocratic settings dont really do it for me). For those trying out Dostoevsky via Notes from Underground, keep in mind that book is much more dense and generally inaccessible than C+P, Brothers K, etc., so it may not be the best introduction to his work. Weee!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 10:06:47 PM by matta »

RIDEFLANNELV2

• Rep: 41
« Reply #2788 on: June 08, 2017, 08:13:10 PM »

i tried to put this on layaway at the library but those shitbirds reessrved me the hemingway book of the same title! i was pissed as punch so  i didn't take out the hem version, i got a david sedaris book in protest.
i'm almost done w/ 'langstroth's hive and the honeybees' by langstroth aka the 1800s priest who invented the popular 'box hive' that we all [mostly all] use today. he's got funny, flowery language about how the bee was given to us by god like the fruit tree and he really loves his bees so it's an enjoyable read. if you're not already into bees it might just spark your interest? or not....

That book about the bees sounds rad! Maybe I'll check it out. Also, I got a good laugh about the librarians reserving the wrong title for you. Haruki is big on paying homage, so the Hemingway title confusion makes sense. What Sedaris book do you get? I've read almost all of his work "Me Talk Pretty One Day, When You Are Engulfed In Flames, Dress Your Family In Corduroy and Denim, and Holiday on Ice". If you got his newest book, is it any good? I heard him promoting it on Fresh Air last week, just haven't gotten around to checking it out yet.

I just finished under the dome and it's easily one of the top 20 books I've ever read. Would be top 10 if the end didn't kind of turn into a clisterfuck... but that's typical king.

I really recommend it if you are looking for something to get burried into

Also on the books that bore you kick... if you are not feeling it why bother. If it was meant to be it will come around your way again. Books have a funny way of showing up on your lap when you are ready for them. No need to force it.

Steven King is the shit! Just read Salem's Lot on a recommendation about a month ago and got into a King kick too! Started reading some of his kid's stuff (Joe Hill) and really liked "Heart Shaped Box". It was a real quick read, kind of cheesy, but entertaining nonetheless. Tried to read Joe Hill's "The Fireman" afterwards and kind of got bored with it, hopefully, I can pick it up sooner than later and finish it.

About to finish Murakami's first novel "Norwegian Wood". Looking on recommendations for my next read.

Adam Abbas

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #2789 on: June 08, 2017, 08:30:35 PM »

I bought the hardcover version of this in NYC over a decade ago, thought it would be great b/c I was a huge Tintin fan, and it turned out to be terrible.

Check out Rose Madder, that's a good one.

Last book I read I actually translated with my dad. It was a poetry book written by a woman I was insanely in love with and still am despite all the pressure and sadness. I also really miss reading regularly, I haven't read a novel in over two years.
You're hollerin' Don Fisher

I'm screamin' Buddy Carr