Author Topic: books to read  (Read 431996 times)

Lobo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
  • Skate and die !
Re: books to read
« Reply #2820 on: March 10, 2018, 06:31:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
handsclapanin, which Murakami book would you recommend to start on?

Just finished Women by Bukowski and I do not know why I read so much Bukowski, but that had to have been the worst. It really lacked anything of substance.
[close]

I’m not handsclapanin, but I would recommend Norwegian Wood. That was my first Murakami. Quick and easy read. Not as far out as some of the others.
[close]

Thank you. +1
"What I Talk About When I Talk About Running" is the only Murakam that I have read and man...such a damn borefest it was ,that I never dared to pick another book from that guy!
I will try Norwegian Wood guys,but I sure hope he dropped talking about running!
"Born to Run – Christopher McDougall" the greatest fucking sport book !!...
pardon my grammar,it`s 3am,I am stoned and was cleaning my dogs shit from the carpet for the last hour,,,poor thing doesen`t like the new brand of food

ShredWilliams

« Reply #2821 on: March 16, 2018, 04:40:46 PM »
Paul Auster’s “New York Trilogy” Anybody else read this one?

shark tits

« Reply #2822 on: March 22, 2018, 04:56:34 PM »
haven't finished but digging the hell out of 'the moonshine war' by elmore leonard.
some of you know i'm a big fan of Justified which is based on 'fire in the hole' and other raylan givens novels. this is not a raylan given novel, it's set in prohibition times but it is in the deep dark hills of eastern kentucky.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 108
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #2823 on: March 22, 2018, 06:23:49 PM »
Read Murakami's short stories, way better than his novels imho...

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

ShredWilliams

« Reply #2824 on: March 24, 2018, 04:19:12 PM »
“The Twenty-Seventh City” by Jonathan Franzen. I loved it, but I’m a sucker for all of Franzen’s work.

sododgy

• Rep: 8
« Reply #2825 on: March 25, 2018, 03:24:03 PM »

I've always said the same about Bukowski. His short form is easily where he did his best work in my eyes.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 108
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #2826 on: March 26, 2018, 06:51:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've always said the same about Bukowski. His short form is easily where he did his best work in my eyes.
yeah, defs true for Murakami too ... or at least in my opinion.

reading this https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9457212-matrix-iii-volume-1 digitally after listening to a little too much Jedi mind tricks ... wish I could get a hard copy of it. If I had this in my greasy little hands in the 90s it probably would have blown my fucking mind!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 118
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2827 on: March 28, 2018, 10:42:09 AM »

Grind King Rims

« Reply #2828 on: March 28, 2018, 01:22:58 PM »
Finished reading this

Now reading this

And I have an other stack of books to get through, but when I can afford it (hopefully some day soon) I have a bunch of books on urban planning and gentrification and stuff that I'd like to get to.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2566
« Reply #2829 on: March 28, 2018, 03:13:23 PM »
Paul Auster’s “New York Trilogy” Anybody else read this one?

Read the first part, then got distracted halfway through the second story by other books. But I do like his writing. I was looking for a twist on noir novels, and he delivered.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 60
« Reply #2830 on: March 28, 2018, 11:45:36 PM »
Recently finished an old book from school:

His colorful language, the stories of struggle, tragedy, dreams, ethnic identity -- fuck! It was a memorable, touching one for me. I feel like i'm friends will all the characters, almost.   

SFblah

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 668
« Reply #2831 on: March 29, 2018, 07:00:27 PM »
Just finished this which was amazing. The story, as well as the title, makes me think it could be a Tarantino movie one day.

NeppuNeppu

« Reply #2832 on: March 31, 2018, 01:56:06 AM »
Recently read Bob Miller's Tales of the Los Angeles Kings, Songs of a Dead Dreamer and Grimscribe by Thomas Ligotti, and The Dominance Bond by Leonard Klossner.

I loved Tales of the Los Angeles Kings, but it'd probably suck if you're not a Kings fan. Songs of a Dead Dreamer and Grimscribe were cool. Most stories were really fun and developed a nice horror vibe, while a few were stinkers. The Dominance Bond was alright at best. It's one of those books where every character is annoying and it seems the purpose of the novel is to evoke contempt. It does it well and Klossner shouldn't be criticized for that, since characters that are bad people doesn't necessitate they are bad characters. It just isn't the kind of thing I'm into.

I'm currently reading Satantango by Laszlo Krasznahorkai and Rashomon and Seventeen Other Stories by Ryunosuke Akutagawa.

Krasznahorkai's style is pretty interesting since he doesn't use paragraph breaks at all. Each chapter is one long, continuous paragraph that spans 20-30 pages. His sentences are also really long and seem to go on for a page at a time. Somehow though, it still works without seeming overly wordy or rambling. The plot's pretty rad although a bit slow moving and most of the main events seem rooted in Hegelian thought. It's a really good book so far. Akutagawa's stories are decent and an enjoyable way to kill short periods of time.

Probably going to read Dead Souls by Nikolay Gogol next.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 381
« Reply #2833 on: April 01, 2018, 12:56:29 PM »
I read Satantango on a whim and it's super intense while also being funny and not overly dense.  It's a really difficult mix that it's very impressive he's able to pull off.

Just finished Intimations by Alexandra Kleeman.  It's a short story collection and I'm not usually super into those but it was really good.  She's very surrealist almost.  Like, strange things happen but they don't feel out of place - just like realistic things notched up to their extreme but logical conclusion.  It's very good at evoking what she wants you to evoke.  Her debut You Too Can Have A Body Like Mine was my favorite book I read last year so I highly recommend picking that up but I've heard it's not for everyone too.

I'm taking a critical theory course for fun so going to be reading Bataille, de Sade, and a bunch of critical theorists and philosophers who engage with their work.  So I'm excited for that since I don't get to do much analysis or discussion on them with other people even though I'd like to.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 03:41:51 PM by oyolar »

shark tits

« Reply #2834 on: April 01, 2018, 01:13:15 PM »
'junk raft' is a bummer. it's about a former marine and a friend sailing a ship made of plastic bottles, an airplane fusillade and other trash to bring attention to litter. kinda like shooting a kid to bring attention to violence in schools?
idk.
but the facts of the book are a big drag and make me aware of plastic waste [which is all plastic at some point] and how it never goes away and the oil companies [big plastic] have a vested interest in us incinerating, pseudo-recycling [only about 8% gets downcycled into new plastic crap] and buying more. gonna try not to get styrofoam coffee cups anymore but still. organic smoothies, urethane wheels, everything in life comes from petroleum.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #2835 on: April 02, 2018, 12:29:24 PM »
This is one of my threads where I'll gnar anyone that contributes :)
Thanks for posting everyone

Peter Zagreus

• Rep: 85
« Reply #2836 on: April 02, 2018, 09:40:36 PM »

I'm taking a critical theory course for fun so going to be reading Bataille, de Sade, and a bunch of critical theorists and philosophers who engage with their work.  So I'm excited for that since I don't get to do much analysis or discussion on them with other people even though I'd like to.

Good on ye. Hope it's a meaningful experience for you (the class) and I wouldn't mind an update once you get into it!

*edit: Reading this one for a class of my own. More excited than usual to get at it.
Read on, readers!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 10:15:44 AM by Peter Zagreus »

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 51
« Reply #2837 on: April 03, 2018, 07:07:06 AM »
Reading The Three Body Problem and loving it.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2838 on: April 04, 2018, 09:29:21 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Good on ye. Hope it's a meaningful experience for you (the class) and I wouldn't mind an update once you get into it!

*edit: Reading this one for a class of my own. More excited than usual to get at it.
Read on, readers!

Thanks man! Yeah, I'll definitely give an update. First class is Thursday and it's 3 hours every Thursday this month.  I'm stoked but like weirdly nervous too. I've got a fascination with Bataille and am like "What if I'm not getting enough out of him and my observations are like super trite?"

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 767
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2839 on: April 04, 2018, 10:39:04 AM »
anyone read 2666 and how does it compares to Savage Detectives? both by Roberto Bolano.

geneparmesan

• Rep: 21
« Reply #2840 on: April 04, 2018, 10:53:05 AM »
On the topic of Murakami, if you read enough of his work you start to notice he's been writing the same book over and over for years now. And it's not a bad book certainly, it's brought him a lot of acclaim and attention, but he essentially mixes and matches different elements to differing degrees of success.

Here's a handy check list to keep score:

If you're going to read him, I'd recommend the classics "A Wild Sheep Chase," "Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World," "Kafka on the Shore," and his first collection of short stories "The Elephant Vanishes."

Paul Auster is similar and also does the same thing, but instead of using noir and fantasy elements, he uses coincidence and metaficiction. He has dabbled in noir a bit though, mainly the first book in "The New York Trilogy," which is the only book of the three worth reading. Of his other work, "Leviathan," "Moon Palace," and "The Book of Illusions" are pretty solid.

Both of these guys focus on young male protagonists who are figuring out their place in the world, and as a result often appeal to young men figuring out their place in the world. This is not to say their work isn't worth reading, more so that as you get older and figure your shit out, you may find your appreciation of their stuff declining.

Anyway, since this is a recommendation thread, Jack Black's (not that one) autobiography of life as a freight hopping hobo turned thief and safe cracker in San Francisco during the late 1800s and early 1900s is one of the best books I've ever read. The amount of life this guy experiences, and his ability to write a relatable yet mind blowing book about the hobo underworld and all its various facets makes for an unputdownable book.

shark tits

« Reply #2841 on: April 04, 2018, 11:07:39 AM »
i loved that jack black book!
yeggs and hobos and jailbreaking.

Peter Zagreus

• Rep: 85
« Reply #2842 on: April 04, 2018, 05:43:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Read on, readers!
[close]

Thanks man! Yeah, I'll definitely give an update. First class is Thursday and it's 3 hours every Thursday this month.  I'm stoked but like weirdly nervous too. I've got a fascination with Bataille and am like "What if I'm not getting enough out of him and my observations are like super trite?"
I'd feel that way too, going into it. I checked a Bataille reader (one of those Blackwell editions, I think?) out of the library and read the intro essay and sort of skimmed around. I was trying to feel out his conception of "base materialism," but I can't say I got very far before my energies were needed elsewhere. Hope to come back to him.

ShredWilliams

« Reply #2843 on: April 04, 2018, 05:48:57 PM »
anyone read 2666 and how does it compares to Savage Detectives? both by Roberto Bolano.

2666 is an incredible book. It’s the only Bolano I’ve read though.

To geneparmesan, I’ve only read the “New York Trilogy” and “1234” by Auster. I thought “New York Trilogy “ was about linguistics and epistemology more than noir. It was hardly a detective/crime novel.

de Sade is a kook.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2844 on: April 04, 2018, 06:25:02 PM »
Why do you say that about de Sade?

geneparmesan

• Rep: 21
« Reply #2845 on: April 04, 2018, 08:03:55 PM »
To geneparmesan, I’ve only read the “New York Trilogy” and “1234” by Auster. I thought “New York Trilogy “ was about linguistics and epistemology more than noir. It was hardly a detective/crime novel.

Totally agree. I should have been clearer about that. It's far from a noir novel, just uses some of the tropes of it and is the best example of Auster's use of that kind of thing.

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 291
« Reply #2846 on: April 04, 2018, 11:52:38 PM »
Havent been reading much lately but my favorites of all time are....
JD Salinger - 9 Stories
Fantastic collection of short stories that are all intertwined the final story "Teddy" is probably one of my favorite pieces of literature of all time.
Cats Cradle - Kurt Vonnegut
Ice Nine baby
Philip K Dick - A Scanner Darkly
That quote about stealing insulin or just dying fucks me up every time
The Dark Elf Trilogy - RA Salvatore
One of the first big books I read. My Dad lent me the trilogy when I was 12 and crushed through it in a week.

For Comics...
Transmetropolitan (finished)
Preacher (finished)
Planetary Express (finished)
DMZ (almost finished)
Doom Patrol (just started)
Wanted (finished)

Bunch of others but i'll keep it short.

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Rep: -8
« Reply #2847 on: April 07, 2018, 02:32:54 AM »

Reading Bolano? Good on ya!

I'm a big Bolano fan and I've read both. In my eyes, 2666 is very different from the Savage Detectives. The overall writing style is comparable and both share a few themes and motifs, but that's about it. The Savage Detectives is a typical "young Bolano", full of dark humor, the energy and romanticism of youth and covering every topic relevant to 70s and 80s Latin America and world literature. 2666 seems more focused, more mature, more limited but also lacks the energy and fervor of the Savage Detectives. It's a typical "late work" and way darker than the Savage Detectives.

Personally, I liked the Savage Detectives better, but 2666 is still among my favorite books. Both are really good. I'd say, you should go for it! Have fun!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 04:11:56 AM by AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice »

SFblah

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 668
« Reply #2848 on: April 07, 2018, 08:19:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm a big Bolano fan and I've read both. In my eyes, 2666 is very different from the Savage Detectives. The overall writing style is comparable and both share a few themes and motifs, but that's about it. The Savage Detectives is a typical "young Bolano", full of dark humor, the energy and romanticism of youth and covering every topic relevant to 70s and 80s Latin America and world literature. 2666 seems more focused, more mature, more limited but also lacks the energy and fervor of the Savage Detectives. It's a typical "late work" and way darker than the Savage Detectives.

Personally, I liked the Savage Detectives better, but 2666 is still among my favorite books. Both are really good. I'd say, you should go for it! Have fun!

So far I’ve only read Bolano’s Distant Star and Nazi Literature in the Americas[i/]. Two Spanish guys own a bookstore here and they tell me his short stories are his best work.

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Rep: -8
« Reply #2849 on: April 07, 2018, 01:33:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

So far I’ve only read Bolano’s Distant Star and Nazi Literature in the Americas[i/]. Two Spanish guys own a bookstore here and they tell me his short stories are his best work.

I've only ready one of his short story collections and I liked it a lot, but I still think Savage Detectives is Bolano at his best. Distant Star is another favorite.

Finished Austerlitz by W.G. Sebald and Orient Express by John Dos Passos recently. Austerlitz took some getting used to, but the effort paid off about halfway through. I'm really into the Middle East and its history right now, so Orient Express was super interesting to me. Dos Passos travelled through today's Turkey, Georgia, Armenia, Iran, Iraq and Syria right after WWI and the subsequent downfall of the Ottoman Empire, when these states and their borders were just drawn. Dos Passos has a really good eye for detail and I like his style. Screw On the Road, this is the real shit for hopeless romantics who were bitten by the travel bug.

Onto Knausgaard's My Struggle 3 now. It's the last book from the series I haven't read (apart from the last part to be published this fall of course). Not really feeling it yet. I'm so much used to "adult" Knausgaard, that I have a hard time adapting to the child version. Let's see how this one goes...
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 01:38:18 PM by AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice »