Author Topic: books to read  (Read 431613 times)

oyolar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: books to read
« Reply #2850 on: April 07, 2018, 02:52:24 PM »
I know what you mean but I loved Book 3.  It's super atmospheric and I think he does a great job giving you the feeling of what it felt like to be a child in his childhood situation.  That said, I couldn't imagine reading it after Books 4 & 5.  It would definitely be jarring.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #2851 on: April 09, 2018, 07:48:23 AM »
Recently finished an old book from school:

His colorful language, the stories of struggle, tragedy, dreams, ethnic identity -- fuck! It was a memorable, touching one for me. I feel like i'm friends will all the characters, almost.   

Gnar'd for sherman alexie.  there are so few writers who can make books that appeal to all ages.

just finished a book that really met the hype.

i dont know why it took my so long to get to this but its probably for the best because if i had read this when i was 17 i would probably would have ended up like the protagonist in the least romantic way possible.   if you are looking for a  visceral and visual quick read that will make you feel guilty about how un-free you are, this is a great choice to pick up.
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #2852 on: April 09, 2018, 09:25:07 AM »
Havent been reading much lately but my favorites of all time are....
JD Salinger - 9 Stories
Fantastic collection of short stories that are all intertwined the final story "Teddy" is probably one of my favorite pieces of literature of all time.

For Esme... is my favorite but they are all great.

shark tits

« Reply #2853 on: April 09, 2018, 09:36:23 AM »
sherman alexie is sick! i've read a few of his books about indians getting drunk and playing ball on the rez. he usedta be in the seattle wkly too 100 yrs ago when i lived out there.
'when the women come out to dance' by elmore leonard was good. book of short stories including 'fire in the hole' which the tv show justified is based on.

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 764
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2854 on: April 09, 2018, 09:43:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
anyone read 2666 and how does it compares to Savage Detectives? both by Roberto Bolano.
[close]

Reading Bolano? Good on ya!

I'm a big Bolano fan and I've read both. In my eyes, 2666 is very different from the Savage Detectives. The overall writing style is comparable and both share a few themes and motifs, but that's about it. The Savage Detectives is a typical "young Bolano", full of dark humor, the energy and romanticism of youth and covering every topic relevant to 70s and 80s Latin America and world literature. 2666 seems more focused, more mature, more limited but also lacks the energy and fervor of the Savage Detectives. It's a typical "late work" and way darker than the Savage Detectives.

Personally, I liked the Savage Detectives better, but 2666 is still among my favorite books. Both are really good. I'd say, you should go for it! Have fun!
[close]

So far I’ve only read Bolano’s Distant Star and Nazi Literature in the Americas. Two Spanish guys own a bookstore here and they tell me his short stories are his best work.
[close]

I've only ready one of his short story collections and I liked it a lot, but I still think Savage Detectives is Bolano at his best. Distant Star is another favorite.

yea i read nazi literature in the Americas and third reich. The 1st i wasnt too into until the last chapter or so. But maybe just because I was hoping for something more plot-driven. It made me wanna write again tho so thats a +.

Third reich was good but felt a bit "easy" compared to Savage Detectives, although interesting in alot of ways i.e. How he keeps writing some versions of himself into every novel.

Wanted to buy Distant star instead of Third Reich but was low on money and the latter is more book for the same cash... Was happy Distant star kinda appeared in the last chapter of Nazi Literature, and it really made me want to read all his books to see how they all fit together.

Either way thanks for the 2666 vs Detectives awnswer

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Rep: -8
« Reply #2855 on: April 09, 2018, 01:26:49 PM »
I know what you mean but I loved Book 3.  It's super atmospheric and I think he does a great job giving you the feeling of what it felt like to be a child in his childhood situation.  That said, I couldn't imagine reading it after Books 4 & 5.  It would definitely be jarring.

Yes. Picking up Book 3 after 4&5 feels like reading a prequel. Which is nice but also doesn't feel like the real deal. Anyway, last night while reading Book 3, I feel like it started growing on me. I see exactly what you mean. Knausgaard does a really good job at describing small details you felt as a kid. Like how every tree in your vicinity acquires a specific meaning. It also helps you to understand the father-son-dynamic more profoundly.

« Reply #2856 on: April 09, 2018, 01:34:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
anyone read 2666 and how does it compares to Savage Detectives? both by Roberto Bolano.
[close]

Reading Bolano? Good on ya!

I'm a big Bolano fan and I've read both. In my eyes, 2666 is very different from the Savage Detectives. The overall writing style is comparable and both share a few themes and motifs, but that's about it. The Savage Detectives is a typical "young Bolano", full of dark humor, the energy and romanticism of youth and covering every topic relevant to 70s and 80s Latin America and world literature. 2666 seems more focused, more mature, more limited but also lacks the energy and fervor of the Savage Detectives. It's a typical "late work" and way darker than the Savage Detectives.

Personally, I liked the Savage Detectives better, but 2666 is still among my favorite books. Both are really good. I'd say, you should go for it! Have fun!
[close]

So far I’ve only read Bolano’s Distant Star and Nazi Literature in the Americas. Two Spanish guys own a bookstore here and they tell me his short stories are his best work.
[close]

I've only ready one of his short story collections and I liked it a lot, but I still think Savage Detectives is Bolano at his best. Distant Star is another favorite.
[close]

yea i read nazi literature in the Americas and third reich. The 1st i wasnt too into until the last chapter or so. But maybe just because I was hoping for something more plot-driven. It made me wanna write again tho so thats a +.

Third reich was good but felt a bit "easy" compared to Savage Detectives, although interesting in alot of ways i.e. How he keeps writing some versions of himself into every novel.

Wanted to buy Distant star instead of Third Reich but was low on money and the latter is more book for the same cash... Was happy Distant star kinda appeared in the last chapter of Nazi Literature, and it really made me want to read all his books to see how they all fit together.

Either way thanks for the 2666 vs Detectives awnswer

I see. The last chapter of Nazi Literature in the Americas covers the very rough plot of Distant Star, excluding character development and atmosphere. Apart from Savage Detectives, Distant Star is maybe my favorite Bolano. This is what made me pick up a copy:

http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2014/11/10/books-for-lazy-skateboarders-and-people-that-dont-like-to-read/

I also like Third Reich by the way. It's super weird though, even for Bolano standards.

Are you going to start 2666?

Peter Zagreus

• Rep: 85
« Reply #2857 on: April 09, 2018, 04:13:49 PM »
^ Distant Star for the win. Haven't gotten around to 2666 though. One day...

Revisiting this gem in my spare time. I couldn't recommend it more. Honestly one of my top 3 novels, all time. Dark, Irish absurdism at its finest.

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2858 on: April 09, 2018, 05:33:03 PM »
yea dont get me wrong, i liked Third Reich (alot).
and as soon as i get my hands on 2666 (and they're holding any cash, Im not a book stealer, which is in this day and age something completely different then when bolano grew up, with the dissapearing bookshops nowadays) will read yes.

Its a shame I dont speak spanish. South American literature has got me hooked, but so many gems untranslated

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • dog stuff
« Reply #2859 on: April 09, 2018, 05:56:16 PM »
also re-read
Yusuf Atilgan's The Loiterer, If you've ever been to Istanbul, you undoubtly enjoy this one; A man alone in a city, contemplating his differences with contemporary (at the time) Turkish culture, while chasing women and searching a woman:

and I read Bill Callahan's Letters to Emma Bowlcut; the story isn't all that much, Its a succession of letters to a woman, but you never get to read the replies. She does reply however, since Callahan refers to them and awnsers her questions in his own letters to her. Its interesting and if you enjoy his songwriting/ observations/ humour then its a good read and I find myself opening the book at random and re-reading letters.

7 year old

« Reply #2860 on: April 09, 2018, 06:46:08 PM »
Bill is so fucking cool. Need to read that.

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • dog stuff
« Reply #2861 on: April 09, 2018, 07:10:42 PM »
i can type it out for ya, ts only like 60 pages half filled.

I do that for a living anyways

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2862 on: April 10, 2018, 01:13:36 PM »
JD Salinger - 9 Stories
Fantastic collection of short stories that are all intertwined the final story "Teddy" is probably one of my favorite pieces of literature of all time.
Cats Cradle - Kurt Vonnegut
Ice Nine baby
Philip K Dick - A Scanner Darkly
That quote about stealing insulin or just dying fucks me up every time
The Dark Elf Trilogy - RA Salvatore
One of the first big books I read. My Dad lent me the trilogy when I was 12 and crushed through it in a week.

For Comics...
Transmetropolitan (finished)
Preacher (finished)
Planetary Express (finished)
DMZ (almost finished)
Doom Patrol (just started)
Wanted (finished)

Bunch of others but i'll keep it short.

DMZ it what got me back into comics as an adult.  If you are looking for some really amazing standout comics check out "The Twelve" and the arc of "Rising Starts"

is planetary express the same as planetary?  if so that and transmetropolitan are two of my all time favorite series.  and if you love transmetropolitan give "chew" a read.  very similar in all the best ways, none of the pontificating of transmetropoltian   

« Reply #2863 on: April 10, 2018, 01:41:58 PM »
also re-read
Yusuf Atilgan's The Loiterer, If you've ever been to Istanbul, you undoubtly enjoy this one; A man alone in a city, contemplating his differences with contemporary (at the time) Turkish culture, while chasing women and searching a woman:

and I read Bill Callahan's Letters to Emma Bowlcut; the story isn't all that much, Its a succession of letters to a woman, but you never get to read the replies. She does reply however, since Callahan refers to them and awnsers her questions in his own letters to her. Its interesting and if you enjoy his songwriting/ observations/ humour then its a good read and I find myself opening the book at random and re-reading letters.

I just got back from a trip to Istanbul. Yusuf Atilgan's novel sounds amazing. I had never heard of it before, but based on your description it should be right up my alley. It looks like the two of us are into similar books. Nice!

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 289
« Reply #2864 on: April 10, 2018, 06:56:13 PM »
Expand Quote
JD Salinger - 9 Stories
Cats Cradle - Kurt Vonnegut
Ice Nine baby
Philip K Dick - A Scanner Darkly
That quote about stealing insulin or just dying fucks me up every time
The Dark Elf Trilogy - RA Salvatore
One of the first big books I read. My Dad lent me the trilogy when I was 12 and crushed through it in a week.

For Comics...
Transmetropolitan (finished)
Preacher (finished)
Planetary Express (finished)
DMZ (almost finished)
Doom Patrol (just started)
Wanted (finished)

Bunch of others but i'll keep it short.
[close]

DMZ it what got me back into comics as an adult.  If you are looking for some really amazing standout comics check out "The Twelve" and the arc of "Rising Starts"

is planetary express the same as planetary?  if so that and transmetropolitan are two of my all time favorite series.  and if you love transmetropolitan give "chew" a read.  very similar in all the best ways, none of the pontificating of transmetropoltian

I think its the same, I was given the Planetary Omnibus as a gift so I actually have always been unsure of the original title. Transmetropolitan is so god damn good! I'm pretty far into Dmz but havent been able to to fish up the cash to buy the next few collections. The Authority is another really fucking cool one. Also if your fucked up The Boys is pretty entertaining.

NeppuNeppu

« Reply #2865 on: April 13, 2018, 02:53:22 AM »
Anyone have recommendations for short story collections or novels with short chapters around 3-15 pages? I need stuff to read during breaks at work.

slappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1204
« Reply #2866 on: April 13, 2018, 07:42:34 AM »
Anyone have recommendations for short story collections or novels with short chapters around 3-15 pages? I need stuff to read during breaks at work.

Raymond Carver's stuff is a good read.

And it's sort of a cliche, but I enjoyed reading these too.
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2867 on: April 13, 2018, 07:44:27 AM »

Have you read "welcome to the monkey house" by Vonnegut? anything by david sedaris?  i like "naked" and "me talk pretty one day" by him A LOT.   "The Bachman Books" by steven king are a little longer but like everything steven king, read really quick.  i loved them when i was a wannabe edgelord in HS, even more now.  He has a lot of other short story books, all of them are pretty much guaranteed to be good. "The Things They Carried" is a classic for a reason.  Some people argue that because its one "story" doesn't count a short story book but i disagree.  if you want to feel smart there is Salinger, Hemingway and Chekhov's short story books, but if i was going to go that route i would pick Poe's "The First Detective" which is a collection of the Dupin Series and really enjoyable

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
« Reply #2868 on: April 13, 2018, 02:47:06 PM »
sci-fi set in Johannesburg, very good.

SFblah

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 668
« Reply #2869 on: April 13, 2018, 08:54:06 PM »

Try Donald Barthelme. Here’s one of his best known short stories.

https://www.npr.org/programs/death/readings/stories/bart.html
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 08:56:20 PM by SFblah »

7 year old

« Reply #2870 on: April 14, 2018, 07:25:57 AM »
i can type it out for ya, ts only like 60 pages half filled.

I do that for a living anyways
I appreciate that b-guy but I don't want to be the reason his shit gets bootlegged.

ShredWilliams

« Reply #2871 on: April 14, 2018, 08:29:49 PM »
Tom Wolfe’s “Kingdom Of Speech.” Read it today, was really impressed.

NeppuNeppu

« Reply #2872 on: April 21, 2018, 02:18:24 AM »
Thanks for the recommendations everyone. Started off with a collection from Donald Barthelme since it seemed to be exactly what I was looking for. I'm really enjoying it so far.

Grampa

• Rep: 143
« Reply #2873 on: May 01, 2018, 08:22:05 PM »
Yo, thanks to whoever posted about You Can’t Win. I just started reading it and it’s awesome so far.  :)

Thrillho

• Rep: 133
« Reply #2874 on: May 03, 2018, 01:18:21 AM »
I read No Country For Old Men in like 2 days or something. McCarthy wrote it originally as a screenplay, so it's basically just the movie plus a few extra or alternate bits. Chigurh makes more sense in the book. Moss, to me, was less sympathetic also. The movie is a better movie than the book is a book, but if you really liked one the other will complement it well.

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 422
« Reply #2875 on: May 03, 2018, 09:52:59 AM »
I read No Country For Old Men in like 2 days or something. McCarthy wrote it originally as a screenplay, so it's basically just the movie plus a few extra or alternate bits. Chigurh makes more sense in the book. Moss, to me, was less sympathetic also. The movie is a better movie than the book is a book, but if you really liked one the other will complement it well.

Just read it last month and enjoyed it, especially since the film is one of my favorite movies. I really enjoyed Bell's internal dialogues that were in between chapters. Also, I sort of wish they included in the movie the time Moss was with the young girl he picked up. Seems like that was pretty important part, but I know they can't have everything.

I just finished "The Last Season" this week. It's a fascinating story and if you're into the outdoors, you'll love it even more. I highly recommend it.

Irvine-Sucks.com

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
« Reply #2876 on: May 03, 2018, 04:34:48 PM »
Have you read The Familiar by Danielewski?  It's pretty awesome. The first 5 volumes (out of a proposed 27) are out now but it's on a hiatus.  Amazing experience and while they look massive and intense, word count wise, they're only 200-300 pages long.  It's all of the characteristics of HoL taken to the tenth degree.

Jagr

• Rep: 116
« Reply #2877 on: May 03, 2018, 10:20:11 PM »
Read my first McCarthy a few days back, Outer Dark. Great stuff, weird I never read him before. Went on to read the Border Trilogy and Suttree. Have liked everything so far.

Did someone on here mention In the Distance by Hernan Diaz? Or maybe I picked it up somewhere else. Unique take on the Western novel.

Jagr

• Rep: 116
« Reply #2878 on: May 03, 2018, 10:23:00 PM »

I really like Richard Brautigan, but he's not for everyone. His short story collection "Revenge on the Lawn" is good lunch break reading. All of his novels have short chapters too.

SFblah

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 668
« Reply #2879 on: May 04, 2018, 05:00:14 AM »
Read my first McCarthy a few days back, Outer Dark. Great stuff, weird I never read him before. Went on to read the Border Trilogy and Suttree. Have liked everything so far.

Did someone on here mention In the Distance by Hernan Diaz? Or maybe I picked it up somewhere else. Unique take on the Western novel.

I mentioned In The Distance. So good. It just got nominated for a Pulitzer too.

Here’s the NY Times article on him this week.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/02/books/hernan-diaz-in-the-distance.html
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 05:02:22 AM by SFblah »