Author Topic: books to read  (Read 431186 times)

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -8
Re: books to read
« Reply #2910 on: July 29, 2018, 02:55:51 PM »
As I have mentioned before, I'm a huge Nabokov fan and will die on the hill of him being probably the greatest author in the English language (maybe after Joyce), so after reading this article, I picked up Adrienne Celt's Invitation to a Bonfire and have enjoyed it so far.  I haven't gotten too far into it but that's because I've been busy at work and not felt like reading, not at all an indictment of her writing so if anyone is somewhat interested in Nabokov, it might be worth picking up.

https://electricliterature.com/vladimir-nabokov-taught-me-how-to-be-a-feminist-229f3dbade6f

I've also been really trying to read more POC/non-European or North American/male authors lately and am so glad I've made that choice.  It's how I picked up Lispector and Bolano and has led to a lot of female written audiobooks as well as people like Alexandra Kleeman (who I cannot recommend enough to anyone and everyone - I love her writing so much), Yelena Moskovich, Paul Beatty.  Anyone else been trying to expand their oeuvre?

Might be a good time to pick up Cortázar's Rayuela (if you haven't done so already). I feel like this one could be right up your alley.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2911 on: July 29, 2018, 07:25:49 PM »
Oh right!  You mentioned that before and I've forgotten to grab it.  I'll add it to my list.

Book 6 of My Struggle is being released on Sept. 18 (at least the hardcover is).  No idea about the paperback.  Summer is being released Aug. 21. 

I believe the long delay in Book 6's release is because of the immense length and because Knausgaard's season quartet is being published in the interim.  So his US/English language agent probably staggered things out so they'd try to play off of the publicity without just burning people out on him.

shark tits

« Reply #2912 on: July 30, 2018, 10:49:40 AM »
rusty's mom sent me a photo book called 'skate the world' by jonathan mehring.
not a book 'to read' per se but it's dope to look at.
distributed by national geographic, ya know what that means?
we're wildlife!

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #2913 on: July 30, 2018, 12:44:21 PM »
rusty's mom sent me a photo book called 'skate the world' by jonathan mehring.
not a book 'to read' per se but it's dope to look at.
distributed by national geographic, ya know what that means?
we're wildlife!

i just going to assume national geographic stayed true to brand and published a photo of johnny layton with his dick out
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

I sniff Jim Gagne's butthole all the time

• Rep: -156
« Reply #2914 on: August 25, 2018, 04:15:34 PM »
not done yet but 'adjustment day' by chuck palahniuk.
i won't spoil but it's rad so far.

SFblah

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 668
« Reply #2915 on: August 27, 2018, 12:34:04 PM »
About to start this which I’ve been stalling on because it’s 1,336 pages. All about the guy who basically built modern day New York.

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #2916 on: August 27, 2018, 03:42:53 PM »
The Education of Little Tree by Forrest Carter.
This was the best book I've read in a while. A fast easy read.
About a orphan raised by his Cherokee indian grandparents in the 30's.
So good. Had me laughing and crying on the same page.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2593
« Reply #2917 on: September 04, 2018, 04:46:50 AM »

Just finished this. I quite like Tabucchi's prose. Not sure if it's the right description, but it's just on the right side of sparse.

Reading Our Band Could Be Your Life now. I kinda always ignored music non-fiction, but so far I like it.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Peter Zagreus

• Rep: 85
« Reply #2918 on: September 05, 2018, 12:00:56 PM »

« Reply #2920 on: September 06, 2018, 12:40:17 PM »
I just tore my ACL and meniscus, which sucks really bad, because I won't be able to skate for a while (if at all...). At least I found the time to finish this motherfucker of a book:

Definitely one of the more readable "classics". I really enjoyed it, even though it was sort of a challenge at times.

With so much time at hand, I also read some other books on the sides. I'm not sure anyone's familiar with Tuvia Tenenbom. Born in Israel, he mostly writes for German newspapers and also founded the Jewish Theatre of New York. For these two books, he travelled around Germany and the States for months, talking to people and trying to find out makes both countries' national identity. Sounds strange, but he has a way of being both funny and asking the right questions that bring to light people's true beliefs. Pretty much some kind of gonzo journalism. His books are both hilarious and chilling at the same time, because it reveals how racist and antisemitic most people are once you scratch below the surface. Really, really good stuff!

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -130
« Reply #2921 on: September 07, 2018, 03:42:24 AM »
Recently I've been reading early 20th century soviet poetry; Hlebnikow, Tsvetajeva,Ahmatova, Mandelstam, Pasternak.. I like how they describe the horrors of their times in a different more personal and colourful ways than say historybooks, news or documents..

I find a lot of similarities with current times and post WW1 era world.. It's a trip to realize life is all just a loop and we humans do the same mistakes and things again and again..

And also this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_the_Dead Just some spells and stuff like that about how to achive the best in after life.. ..cool stuff though. Those ancient egyptians were up to something we hopefully will some day understand..

This isn't the right thread about this but I've noticed similarities about current day use of emojies and .gifs as to what hieroglyphs were in ancient times.. Are pictografs more efficient way of expressing than say typography? Where are we heading with it? Could there be a universal language/system that everybody would use, like numbers or something like that. I know of esperanto but but that quite never hit the mark..

« Reply #2922 on: September 07, 2018, 04:49:00 AM »

And also this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_the_Dead Just some spells and stuff like that about how to achive the best in after life.. ..cool stuff though.
don't read that book out loud. next thing you know your wife will be host to candarian demons and you'll be forced to lock her in the fruit cellar.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2923 on: September 08, 2018, 11:22:51 PM »
the rest is noise is good so far. it’s about 20th century composers. nonfiction/history written in a narrative style.

Peter Zagreus

« Reply #2924 on: September 09, 2018, 01:44:16 PM »

Copped the paperback.
I love paperbacks.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2593
« Reply #2925 on: September 09, 2018, 04:34:06 PM »
That's one of my favourite books of all times. Enjoy.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

LB

• Rep: 57
« Reply #2926 on: September 10, 2018, 06:23:01 AM »
get your cock out by mark manning aka zodiac mindwarp.  the sickest funniest most wrong love story ever written.  hialrious.

1177bc the year civilisation collapsed.  within 100 years all the bronze age empires were gone

the power of now by eckhart tolle.  a life changing mindset

Peter Zagreus

« Reply #2927 on: September 11, 2018, 11:52:15 AM »
That's one of my favourite books of all times. Enjoy.

Thanks, man. I'm really peeling through this thing. Loving it.
I haven't read a lot of fiction in the last few years, so I've kind of lost my thread as far as finding new stuff to read. Do you (or anyone else) have any recommendations, maybe in the same vein as Eco?

woodinbrine

• Rep: 13
  • ᛐᛅᚢᛐᛁᚾ ᛙᛁᚴ ᚠᚱᛁᛅ
« Reply #2928 on: September 17, 2018, 10:20:50 AM »
My attention span has been too short for novels lately, so I've been reading short stories.
Two of my favorites that I've read the last few months are Norwegian and unlikely to be translated any time soon so they may not be that relevant to post here but yeah anyway; Det Ble en Rotte! by Maia K. Siverts and Korte Meisterverk by Gaute M. Sortland. The first one was really surrealistic and hilarious, one of the funniest books I've ever read. Korte Meisterverk was funny too, but with a really relatable sadness to it as well.
A little while back I read Welcome to the Monkey House and Palm Sunday by Kurt Vonnegut, he's one of my all time favorites. Both funny and serious and also his stuff is well worth reading more than once.
Right now I'm re-reading 21 Stories by Graham Greene, I like his style of writing.
Next book on the list is The Wall by Jean-Paul Sartre, my girlfriend just read it and thought it was great so I'll have to check it out too.

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #2929 on: September 17, 2018, 12:00:51 PM »
Just found out in the Alexander Hamilton biography that people used "cannon" for plural and singular.

7 year old

« Reply #2930 on: September 17, 2018, 12:24:21 PM »
neat!

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1214
« Reply #2931 on: September 24, 2018, 06:31:31 PM »
just finished fight club
cant believe that was chucks first book

next up is the melancholy resistance by laszlo krasznahorkai http://www.mediafire.com/file/dmtkqyq734qdyht/

then probably some phillip k dick

and agreed about multiple readings of vonnegut

this thread is so great. endless material from you folks
i love it
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 06:37:58 PM by smellsdead »

« Reply #2932 on: September 24, 2018, 06:34:08 PM »
ask the dust by john fante. it inspired bukowski. goku's dad recommended it to me. i haven't finished it but thus far, i like that shit more!

eight two fives

• Rep: -26
« Reply #2933 on: October 02, 2018, 07:38:03 PM »
I just got this app for my phone called Libby. It links to you library card and you can check out ebooks and audiobooks. Pretty stoked on the audiobook part, it helps pass the days at work.

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #2934 on: October 04, 2018, 07:37:58 AM »
Digging Up Mother, A Love Story by Doug Stanhope.
Can't help but read it in his voice. Funny fucker.
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

FOGDOG

• Rep: 10
« Reply #2935 on: October 04, 2018, 09:56:36 AM »
Inherent Vice by Thomas Pynchon. Its what I would call "burnout noir." Long-winded, but funny as fuck.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
« Reply #2936 on: October 04, 2018, 10:26:16 AM »
Inherent Vice by Thomas Pynchon. Its what I would call "burnout noir." Long-winded, but funny as fuck.

Super funny. Compared to a lot of his other stuff though, it's not too long-winded. It moved at a healthy and even pace in my opinion.

Summer by Knausgaard for me, the last of his seasons books and man did he mess up a compelling formula in the second half of the four. Spring was a compelling confessional to his daughter of his wife's breakdown during/after her birth so it deviated from his "one short piece on an everyday object a day" concept, which I liked because it felt very different from his My Struggle writing, but it eventually wore out its welcome. Summer brings back the daily essays but breaks up the two months with entries from his personal diary and they really fuck up the flow of the overall book and drag it down.  The diary selections are longer than the rest of the book and each of the previous three volumes (separately) and are the worst of Knausgaard's tendencies: rambling, unrefined, somewhat shallow. There are decent enough moments in them but they really detract from the rest of the work. If anyone does read this, I highly recommend skipping them.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #2937 on: October 04, 2018, 12:36:44 PM »
Every once in a while I want to read an anarcho-western, and nobody does it like Abbey.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 12:44:01 PM by botefdunn »

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663

« Reply #2939 on: October 07, 2018, 05:10:06 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Super funny. Compared to a lot of his other stuff though, it's not too long-winded. It moved at a healthy and even pace in my opinion.

Summer by Knausgaard for me, the last of his seasons books and man did he mess up a compelling formula in the second half of the four. Spring was a compelling confessional to his daughter of his wife's breakdown during/after her birth so it deviated from his "one short piece on an everyday object a day" concept, which I liked because it felt very different from his My Struggle writing, but it eventually wore out its welcome. Summer brings back the daily essays but breaks up the two months with entries from his personal diary and they really fuck up the flow of the overall book and drag it down.  The diary selections are longer than the rest of the book and each of the previous three volumes (separately) and are the worst of Knausgaard's tendencies: rambling, unrefined, somewhat shallow. There are decent enough moments in them but they really detract from the rest of the work. If anyone does read this, I highly recommend skipping them.

Thanks for the heads-up. I haven't picked up any book from his Seasons series and I'm not feeling compelled to do so now.

My Struggle 6 is out! Do you have a copy already? Due to a lack of time, I'm only 20 pages in. My only complaint so far is that the hard cover has the dimensions of an encyclopedia. Easily the heaviest and largest book in my collection. I don't think I will ever take it out of my apartment and I can only read it lying on my side. Kind of a weird complaint, I know...