Author Topic: books to read  (Read 246807 times)

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Rep: -21
Re: books to read
« Reply #3001 on: September 06, 2018, 12:40:17 PM »
I just tore my ACL and meniscus, which sucks really bad, because I won't be able to skate for a while (if at all...). At least I found the time to finish this motherfucker of a book:

Definitely one of the more readable "classics". I really enjoyed it, even though it was sort of a challenge at times.

With so much time at hand, I also read some other books on the sides. I'm not sure anyone's familiar with Tuvia Tenenbom. Born in Israel, he mostly writes for German newspapers and also founded the Jewish Theatre of New York. For these two books, he travelled around Germany and the States for months, talking to people and trying to find out makes both countries' national identity. Sounds strange, but he has a way of being both funny and asking the right questions that bring to light people's true beliefs. Pretty much some kind of gonzo journalism. His books are both hilarious and chilling at the same time, because it reveals how racist and antisemitic most people are once you scratch below the surface. Really, really good stuff!

Mystical Leader

• Rep: -67
« Reply #3002 on: September 07, 2018, 03:42:24 AM »
Recently I've been reading early 20th century soviet poetry; Hlebnikow, Tsvetajeva,Ahmatova, Mandelstam, Pasternak.. I like how they describe the horrors of their times in a different more personal and colourful ways than say historybooks, news or documents..

I find a lot of similarities with current times and post WW1 era world.. It's a trip to realize life is all just a loop and we humans do the same mistakes and things again and again..

And also this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_the_Dead Just some spells and stuff like that about how to achive the best in after life.. ..cool stuff though. Those ancient egyptians were up to something we hopefully will some day understand..

This isn't the right thread about this but I've noticed similarities about current day use of emojies and .gifs as to what hieroglyphs were in ancient times.. Are pictografs more efficient way of expressing than say typography? Where are we heading with it? Could there be a universal language/system that everybody would use, like numbers or something like that. I know of esperanto but but that quite never hit the mark..

I sniff Jim Gagne's butthole all the time

• Rep: -96
« Reply #3003 on: September 07, 2018, 04:49:00 AM »

And also this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_the_Dead Just some spells and stuff like that about how to achive the best in after life.. ..cool stuff though.
don't read that book out loud. next thing you know your wife will be host to candarian demons and you'll be forced to lock her in the fruit cellar.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 69
« Reply #3004 on: September 08, 2018, 11:22:51 PM »
the rest is noise is good so far. itís about 20th century composers. nonfiction/history written in a narrative style.

Peter Zagreus

• Rep: 19
« Reply #3005 on: September 09, 2018, 01:44:16 PM »

Copped the paperback.
I love paperbacks.

Alan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #3006 on: September 09, 2018, 04:34:06 PM »
That's one of my favourite books of all times. Enjoy.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

LB

• Rep: 7
« Reply #3007 on: September 10, 2018, 06:23:01 AM »
get your cock out by mark manning aka zodiac mindwarp.  the sickest funniest most wrong love story ever written.  hialrious.

1177bc the year civilisation collapsed.  within 100 years all the bronze age empires were gone

the power of now by eckhart tolle.  a life changing mindset

PuffinMuffin

• Rep: 59
« Reply #3008 on: September 10, 2018, 07:45:08 AM »
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Halfway through it, probably going to read it a second time. It's really really good! Can't recommend it enough.

My friend wanted me to read The Beauty Myth by Naomi Wolf, I read 20 pages and skimmed around some. Incredibly boring and tiresome. It's aged and poorly written. Every proposed concept is like "yeah, no shit".

Peter Zagreus

• Rep: 19
« Reply #3009 on: September 11, 2018, 11:52:15 AM »
That's one of my favourite books of all times. Enjoy.

Thanks, man. I'm really peeling through this thing. Loving it.
I haven't read a lot of fiction in the last few years, so I've kind of lost my thread as far as finding new stuff to read. Do you (or anyone else) have any recommendations, maybe in the same vein as Eco?

woodinbrine

• Rep: -2
« Reply #3010 on: September 17, 2018, 10:20:50 AM »
My attention span has been too short for novels lately, so I've been reading short stories.
Two of my favorites that I've read the last few months are Norwegian and unlikely to be translated any time soon so they may not be that relevant to post here but yeah anyway; Det Ble en Rotte! by Maia K. Siverts and Korte Meisterverk by Gaute M. Sortland. The first one was really surrealistic and hilarious, one of the funniest books I've ever read. Korte Meisterverk was funny too, but with a really relatable sadness to it as well.
A little while back I read Welcome to the Monkey House and Palm Sunday by Kurt Vonnegut, he's one of my all time favorites. Both funny and serious and also his stuff is well worth reading more than once.
Right now I'm re-reading 21 Stories by Graham Greene, I like his style of writing.
Next book on the list is The Wall by Jean-Paul Sartre, my girlfriend just read it and thought it was great so I'll have to check it out too.

FROTHY

• Rep: 2
« Reply #3011 on: September 17, 2018, 12:00:51 PM »
Just found out in the Alexander Hamilton biography that people used "cannon" for plural and singular.

7 year old

• Rep: 56
« Reply #3012 on: September 17, 2018, 12:24:21 PM »
neat!