Author Topic: Need help with materials for a box  (Read 3243 times)

coop D.O.G.G.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
  • I'm thirsty
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Need help with materials for a box
« on: April 30, 2008, 04:05:22 PM »
I plan on makin a 8 by 4 grind box but am havin some problems

1. i dont know what to use for angle iron on the sides. the angle iron they sell at the store where i live is super shitty and is only like 5 feet. there is a home depot about 40 minutes away tho.

2. dont know what to use on top. i want to be able to slide good but cant afford skatelite for the top piece.

Any help would be great
and here comes coop dogg.....................

neko

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
Re: Need help with materials for a box
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 09:15:03 PM »
google/phone book metal suppliers in your area.  you might be able to buy an 8' piece from them, or maybe find a local metal shop that will cut an 8' piece for you (that would take like 2 min, so they shouldn't charge you much more than the material cost).  make sure it's not some soft shitty crap.

just use plywood on top and either put a thick coat of paint or some wax on it, or both if you want to get really crazy.  if you're not sliding on that, you're not going fast enough.

don't forget to see what you can "borrow" from local construction sites (but not tools, that's just dick).

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1923
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 07:16:50 AM »
go with ply wood, its cheap and easy to work with...  actually the angle iron i normally use is slotted iron, its cheap and even if its too short, you can always cut it and liquid nail it together....  if done properly you wont feel the difference....

what i usually do is order the wood and have it delivered to the spot and just nail the box together...  nails are cheap....  build the frame of the box first then fit the supports in after.... 

for the top im not sure if you can use a thick piece of acrylic, so it slidable....

remember to have brackets on the edges of the boxes to prevent the sides from splitting apart....  this is really important to ensure the lifespan of your box

in summary:
liquid nails
normal nails
plywood
hammers
angle iron
lots of homies to build the box with

good if your on a budget....
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

coop D.O.G.G.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
  • I'm thirsty
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 12:36:05 PM »
kool thanks for the info guys.

Nice AVI rocklobster, That vid was so sick.
and here comes coop dogg.....................

neko

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 04:14:01 PM »
what i usually do is order the wood and have it delivered to the spot and just nail the box together...  nails are cheap....  build the frame of the box first then fit the supports in after.... 

for the top im not sure if you can use a thick piece of acrylic, so it slidable....

a thick piece of acrylic would be dope, but crazy expensive.

but NO NAILS.  you can use nails to tack things together, but if your box to last more than a few months, you'd better drills some good, long screws in there.  the usual technique is tack with nails, drill screws, remove nails.  nails are worthless for long-term construction.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 12:29:44 AM »
well the problem with screwing stuff into plywood is that you will completely fuck up the plys....  if the box is made of solid wood, then screws are a good idea....

make sure you hammer the nails in a way that doesnt split them, im gonna try and use a simple diagram to illustrate....

1                                                                                           
----------------------------------------------                                                    ---------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------                               ++++++          -------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------                                                     --------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------                                                   ------------------------------------------------------------

Diagram A                                                                Diagram B

ok in diagram a the 1 represents the nail going into the plys, which is the correct way to nail.... 

in diaram b the row of +'s represent the nail going sideways into the ply, splitting the ply, which is not correct to do....

anyway nails or screws are all preference....  ive use nails before and my boxes have all turned out fine, lasting really long....
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 06:26:30 AM »
nails are worthless for long-term construction.
screws and liquid nails, definitely.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 10:34:49 AM »
liquid nails and screw/nails....  and dont forget the brackets for the edges of the box to keep the sides from splitting....

lastly, have a nice spray paint job, or coat it in stickers...
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Bill

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 71
  • Back?
    • Divine Clothing & Design avatar image
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2008, 01:09:50 AM »
Liquid nails only work during warm weather. I've used it multiple times and it always falls off in the winter. Building a box is super easy though. Just build a frame out of 2x4s, put a piece of plywood on top, then screw on angle iron.

Edward Penishands

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2008, 09:35:25 AM »
gorilla glue works awesome for holding the angle iron on.

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -301
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2008, 10:52:09 AM »
i also made an 8' box and let me tell ya, finding a 8' long angle iron isn't easy and its definitely not cheap(unless you go to the junkyard, home depot is a rip).
i ended up using two 4' pieces and made sure they're were both straight and level with one another and used silcone to hodl them down.

if you're planning on screwing the angle iron down, make sure to recess the holes in the angle iron so the screw heads doesn't stick out.   

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2008, 11:40:58 AM »
i also made an 8' box and let me tell ya, finding a 8' long angle iron isn't easy and its definitely not cheap(unless you go to the junkyard, home depot is a rip).
i ended up using two 4' pieces and made sure they're were both straight and level with one another and used silcone to hodl them down.

if you're planning on screwing the angle iron down, make sure to recess the holes in the angle iron so the screw heads doesn't stick out.   

true, if you use 2 pieces of angle iron and align them properly before attaching them to the box, then you wont feel a thing when you grind....

i usually liquid nail the angle iron/ slotted iron to the box and it holds on pretty well...  but slotted iron is more malleable than angle iron, so after 2 years of intensive grinding, it falls off... so we get new coping and re-glue the sucker back....

but like bill already said, liquid nails works best in hot climates, so take that into consideration....
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

marcbuster

• Rep: -17
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 01:07:34 PM »
whats the name of that stuff that a lot of parks are starting to use. its like plastic wood and its mostly used for building decks. does anyone know whats the best kind to use??
JOE BENDER IS GOD

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 09:43:01 AM »
whats the name of that stuff that a lot of parks are starting to use. its like plastic wood and its mostly used for building decks. does anyone know whats the best kind to use??

you mean the stuff they use to make ledges in the park, which are kinda like plastic planks??

IMO, i hate skating that kind of material....  its super slippery so its not great for learning slides, and its a bitch to lock your grinds on, because your trucks have a tendency to slip off...  it just doesnt "grip" your trucks the way metal coping does.... 

my friend and i carried 2 of those plastic planks from the skatepark back to our apartment and decided to use it make a box....  the stuff is tough to work with because it is hard to drill, is heavy, cant be nailed into shit, and doesnt bond well with liquid nails....  from then on we just decided to stick to wood....
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

marcbuster

• Rep: -17
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 02:15:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

you mean the stuff they use to make ledges in the park, which are kinda like plastic planks??

IMO, i hate skating that kind of material....  its super slippery so its not great for learning slides, and its a bitch to lock your grinds on, because your trucks have a tendency to slip off...  it just doesnt "grip" your trucks the way metal coping does.... 

my friend and i carried 2 of those plastic planks from the skatepark back to our apartment and decided to use it make a box....  the stuff is tough to work with because it is hard to drill, is heavy, cant be nailed into shit, and doesnt bond well with liquid nails....  from then on we just decided to stick to wood....
no, i'm talking about the stuff they use at LES (Chinatown) park. Here's a link
 http://skatespotter.com/photo/les-chinatown-skate-park-les-manual-pad-26.html
JOE BENDER IS GOD

neko

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2008, 08:10:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

no clue on the name, but i'm going to guess that stuff is pretty expensive.  rocklobster's right, though, that stuff sucks.  "learning" a trick on that stuff isn't really learning the trick.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2008, 04:58:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

yeah thats the same type of material most of my local park is made of....  it sucks ass to skate on cos its all slick on the top, which means learning slides and mannys on them is dangerous and scary.... 

plus like i already said, its hard to work with cos it doesnt drill easily and wont bond properly with liquid nails....
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m