Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 925958 times)

poopmonkey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 20
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #5310 on: April 17, 2012, 02:16:55 AM »
Finally saw this after wanting to for a few years. Very very interesting.

seems interesting. anyone got a link to a rip?

watched this today, reminds me of how awesome some 90s movies are
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSVeDx9fk60

frisco

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #5311 on: April 17, 2012, 11:51:54 AM »
The Hunger Games

A lot of things made me want to hate this movie. The seemingly endless hordes of teenage girls flocking to midnight releases. It looked like it would be some sort of Twilight film with a relatively young cast and some excruciatingly regular love stories on the side.

I only watched the first trailer when it was released and then tuned it out, especially after I saw some Taylor Swift promotional song.

However, can't ignore that this is a solid movie. It has some really good sound design, especially during the actual games. The soundtrack was by James Newton Howard, the dude who did the Dark Knight with Hans Zimmer, so right away it sounds great.  

I haven't read the books and don't plan on it, but dont brush this off as a Harry Potter or a Twilight, like I thought it would be. It isnt without its faults though, it got a PG 13 rating so it could make more money. Objective achieved. It does take away from the movie, sounds like they cut a lot of shit, you don't even see half the deaths.

Oh one more thing, it doesnt hold a fucking candle to this movie.

But it isn't bad thats for sure.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 03:25:20 PM by frisco »

escapistfool

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #5312 on: April 17, 2012, 08:13:47 PM »
Plus, seein Jennifer Lawrence aint bad either. Loved her from Winter's Bones, and she totally killed the role of Katniss. She's good.

Brilliant movie:

Netflix may have it, check it out.

kellen

« Reply #5313 on: April 17, 2012, 08:16:05 PM »

The Raid : Redemption - Official Trailer [HD]

Just got back from watching this,  It's such a kick ass film.  The film isn't dialogue heavy but there are some nice moments of acting.  The film is heavy and I mean heavy on action.  Probably some of the sickest fight scenes that I've watched.  The choreography in this is nuts.  For those of you who have watched Oldboy there are a couple of scenes that are reminiscent of the fight scene in the hallway where  Oh Dae-su takes those guys out with a hammer.  Imagine that but x100.  Had tons of fun watching this, if you get the chance check it out.

frisco

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5314 on: April 18, 2012, 01:09:59 AM »

The Raid : Redemption - Official Trailer [HD]

Just got back from watching this,  It's such a kick ass film.  The film isn't dialogue heavy but there are some nice moments of acting.  The film is heavy and I mean heavy on action.  Probably some of the sickest fight scenes that I've watched.  The choreography in this is nuts.  For those of you who have watched Oldboy there are a couple of scenes that are reminiscent of the fight scene in the hallway where  Oh Dae-su takes those guys out with a hammer.  Imagine that but x100.  Had tons of fun watching this, if you get the chance check it out.

Sick!

I've heard some really good things about this one, will definitely go peep it now

Harem

« Reply #5315 on: April 18, 2012, 01:24:10 AM »

Creeped me the fuck out. Are all American motels like this?

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5316 on: April 18, 2012, 08:21:50 AM »
What are you talking about? That's one reason why adventure tourism is so big here!

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
« Reply #5317 on: April 18, 2012, 01:12:19 PM »
cabin in the woods is really good. way funnier than i thought and it moves at a good pace. cool concept as well.

good to see people like synecdoche. one of my favourites, but usually when i bring it up everyone says they hated it

frisco

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5318 on: April 18, 2012, 01:35:20 PM »
cabin in the woods is really good. way funnier than i thought and it moves at a good pace. cool concept as well.

good to see people like synecdoche. one of my favourites, but usually when i bring it up everyone says they hated it

Agreed. Hardly anyone I know has seen it though, it is a marathon but so worth it

Donnie Darko - "Creep" Trailer

bummed seeing Swayze. First movie I've seen with him in it since he died. I hadn't seen this since it came out back in early 2000, still really liked it. Different than I remember thats for sure, when I first saw it I was focused on the "Bunny" and none of the awesome black hole time travel shit that was going on

kellen

« Reply #5319 on: April 18, 2012, 01:54:49 PM »

Beyond The Black Rainbow Trailer (HD)

I've been waiting to watch this forever and I finally got a chance to the other day.  This has definitely gotta be one of the trippiest/bizarre films i've watched in quite some time.  It's pretty much A Clockwork Orange, 2001: A Space Odyssey , and Enter The Void and random slasher film elements all rolled into one.  The pacing is pretty slow but it works at building the tension as you go on "the journey to enlightenment" (as they say in the film).  Visually its awesome to just look at;  If you didn't see the date it was made you would think its from the late 70's.  The score is which is used in the second half of the trailer is kick ass too.  If its not playing in your town or anything you can find the torrent online, check it out.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 01:56:37 PM by kellen »

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
« Reply #5320 on: April 18, 2012, 01:58:37 PM »

I can definitely see why it's an acquired taste. I loved it though. Philip Seymour Hoffman is seriously one of the most underrated actors of the last 10 years.
"I got a fever and the only prescription is more Cadillac Ranch Dressing." - Jereme Rogers

cringe.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 414
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5321 on: April 18, 2012, 02:14:38 PM »
i've had synecdoche download for over a year now... this thread's inspired me to go off and watch it tonight, i shall report back!

I'm also very interested in the cabin in the woods now, sounds intriguing

thepman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -94
« Reply #5322 on: April 18, 2012, 02:29:56 PM »

too bad scream did the whole play on stereotypical horror thing about 18 years ago
skating is all about choosing your outfit very deliberately, going out in public. looking super sick. and then riding your board a little bit

Locbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
  • OWWW HAVE MERCY!
« Reply #5323 on: April 18, 2012, 03:45:13 PM »
My third time watching it, probably one of my new favorite movies:

Adam Dyet is the black jellybean of skateboarding.

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #5324 on: April 18, 2012, 08:47:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Stay with me on this....

Cabin In The Woods.

If you go into this not knowing fucking ANYTHING, you'll be really entertained.  Very creative play on stereotypical horror movies.
[close]

I've heard nothing but good things! I was still kind if on the fence but I think you've convinced me. Might have to see it sometime this week.
[close]

It's NOT a horror movie.  It has horror aspects, but it's definitely NOT a horror movie.   ;)
[close]

Cabin in the Woods is definitely the most creative and original film to come out in awhile.  Such a fun movie.  The entire time i was watching I just had this smirk on my face just thinking holy fuck.....this is genius

saw it today and agree..  pretty inventive screenplay.  nice to see something fresh for once..  i'm a sucker for these kinds of films (not going to say what kind i mean for fear of giving anything away)
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #5325 on: April 19, 2012, 12:11:04 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

too bad scream did the whole play on stereotypical horror thing about 18 years ago

Good to know only one parody of a particular genre is allowed to exist at one time, then.

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #5326 on: April 19, 2012, 11:31:28 AM »
there were parodies of horror films before SCREAM too.  but yeah i agree with HATE, this film is more than that
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

jackherer

« Reply #5327 on: April 19, 2012, 11:39:34 AM »

lol this movie was fucking great

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
« Reply #5328 on: April 19, 2012, 11:41:53 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

crud! ill make some calls and see if i can get it out of theatres. thx for the heads up

VictoriousOG

« Reply #5329 on: April 19, 2012, 06:31:01 PM »

Stupid fucking white man.
Any netflix recommendations?

jack burton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #5330 on: April 19, 2012, 07:48:40 PM »

I trust your opinion Locbrew. Watching currently.

velocirapedher

• Rep: -13
  • Get fingered!
« Reply #5331 on: April 19, 2012, 10:10:08 PM »
Carts of Darkness

Being skaters here i think we can all appreciate this but it is one of the best documentaries I've ever seen.

frisco

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5332 on: April 19, 2012, 11:58:25 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I trust your opinion Locbrew. Watching currently.

Likewise. Locbrew picks some clutch movies

kellen

« Reply #5333 on: April 20, 2012, 12:21:01 AM »
Stupid fucking white man.
Any netflix recommendations?

Dead Man is a great flick.  I don't know what other films of Jarmusch you've had the chance to watch but you can check out Permanent Vacation, Stranger Than Paradise, and Mystery Train -- those are all some of his best stuff.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #5334 on: April 20, 2012, 07:51:23 AM »
Please don't forget Ghostdog: Way of the Samurai.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

VictoriousOG

« Reply #5335 on: April 20, 2012, 08:08:38 AM »

Loved this movie, gonna watch Made next.

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #5336 on: April 20, 2012, 12:19:18 PM »

See it with friends and some alcohol

the whompler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 10
  • https://vimeo.com/user36500511
« Reply #5337 on: April 20, 2012, 01:11:28 PM »
unexpectedly, Lonesome Jim had me laughing pretty hard last night. Lonesome Jim trailer - Casey Affleck
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 01:13:18 PM by the whompler »

Locbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
  • OWWW HAVE MERCY!
« Reply #5338 on: April 22, 2012, 06:59:57 PM »
Watching this right now, pretty funny and different:

Adam Dyet is the black jellybean of skateboarding.

pappalardospizza

• Rep: -2
« Reply #5339 on: April 22, 2012, 07:29:44 PM »