Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 923790 times)

Willie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #7770 on: October 29, 2018, 09:05:17 AM »
I saw Atomic Blonde on HBO the other day. I thought it was just ok but the one action sequence about 3/4 of the way through was fucking terrific!

Long shots, great choreography, actors doing their own stunt work, visceral, emotional. Worth the price of admission.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #7771 on: November 02, 2018, 01:47:07 AM »
Alpha is a good one to lighten your mind too, will rewatch it with my kid

« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 01:49:10 AM by the snake »

dirtyweemidden

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #7772 on: November 02, 2018, 02:33:31 AM »
the new Halloween movie is pretty rad! Was sceptical as remakes/sequels are usually trash but this was solid

French manicure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
« Reply #7773 on: November 02, 2018, 12:43:26 PM »
Just saw the new version of Suspiria; it's good. It really is it's own thing, I won't say anything since I don't want to spoil it for anyone interested, but, the end of the film is pretty nutty.

You could have it be on a double feature with films like: Possession, Antichrist, and The Witch.

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #7774 on: November 02, 2018, 03:01:11 PM »
Seeing The Thing in a theater was great, I forgot just how gory so many parts of it are.

I love the poster for it in Japan:

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #7775 on: November 03, 2018, 08:59:05 AM »
Just saw the new version of Suspiria; it's good. It really is it's own thing, I won't say anything since I don't want to spoil it for anyone interested, but, the end of the film is pretty nutty.

You could have it be on a double feature with films like: Possession, Antichrist, and The Witch.

Saw this last night!  So good.  I don't want to give anything away too, but thought it was a pretty unique take on the original and had a great blend of old and new effects.

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #7776 on: November 03, 2018, 10:50:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Watched Lynne Ramsay's You were never really here earlier in the year. I thought it was pretty lacklustre.
We need to talk about Kevin on the other hand has really blown me away. I watched it a week ago and haven't been able to stop thinking about Kevin and his mother. Has anyone else seen this?
[close]

This movie is fucked and stuck with me for weeks after. Had to watch Ratatouille to lighten my mood after watching it.
[close]

I've always been attracted to Tilda Swintan. I have no idea why. If I watch Mandy, will it cure me of my Tilda thing? Asking for a friend.

This movie is gnarly and disturbing but caught my attention all the way through. The part where he gets caught jacking off but continues to make eye contact with he mom was creepy as fuck.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #7777 on: November 03, 2018, 01:49:35 PM »
Seeing The Thing in a theater was great, I forgot just how gory so many parts of it are.

if you get a chance, check the DVD with extras.  There's a great 'making of' doc that goes into great details about the effects and design, which were amazing. 

Did anybody ever see the remake?  I know it exists and won't watch it but wondering if they just went with the CGI-overload or tried to keep it true to the OG.

Recently watched Alien for the first time in many years, and fuck what an amazing movie.  The ending starts to get a tad-action movie, but overall the eerie/desolate feeling just creeps me out.

Then I decided to watch Aliens, which was fucking horrible.  Typical 80's action crap.

excitableboy

• Rep: 90
« Reply #7778 on: November 04, 2018, 11:37:31 AM »
Saw Loro last night, the Berlusconi film by Sorrentino. Hadn't heard great things but I liked it overall. Many scenes seem to function as vignettes, not much in the way of plot. Sorrentino said it is a film about Italianness and plenty of that went over my head I'm sure. Toni Servillo is magnificent, as per usual. What it did certainly get right is Berlusconi does not give a damn (it was actually filmed in his villa's).

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7779 on: November 04, 2018, 01:59:59 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

if you get a chance, check the DVD with extras.  There's a great 'making of' doc that goes into great details about the effects and design, which were amazing. 

Did anybody ever see the remake?  I know it exists and won't watch it but wondering if they just went with the CGI-overload or tried to keep it true to the OG.

Recently watched Alien for the first time in many years, and fuck what an amazing movie.  The ending starts to get a tad-action movie, but overall the eerie/desolate feeling just creeps me out.

Then I decided to watch Aliens, which was fucking horrible. Typical 80's action crap.
YOU GO STRAIGHT TO HELL!!!!

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #7780 on: November 04, 2018, 04:06:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Then I decided to watch Aliens, which was fucking horrible. Typical 80's action crap.
[close]
YOU GO STRAIGHT TO HELL!!!!

I still love Aliens for the wonderfully quotable script and great cast but a friend ruined it for me by pointing out how dogshit a lot of scenes look (especially in the first half). It ends strong and all is forgiven but there are parts that are so flat and LV420Soundstage in a way that parts 1 and 3(!) are not.

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #7781 on: November 04, 2018, 09:52:04 PM »

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
« Reply #7782 on: November 05, 2018, 06:41:16 PM »
Bohemian Rhapsody was fantastic

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #7783 on: November 05, 2018, 06:45:13 PM »
Is Bryan Singer made of fucking teflon? People's careers are getting taken down all over the place, but somehow he's still getting million dollar movie deals.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 786
« Reply #7784 on: November 06, 2018, 10:42:05 AM »
Is Bryan Singer made of fucking teflon? People's careers are getting taken down all over the place, but somehow he's still getting million dollar movie deals.

he must have dirt on all the other Hollywood pedophiles
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

brucewillis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
  • Die Hard. www.casualskateshop.com.br
« Reply #7785 on: November 06, 2018, 10:44:30 AM »
Just watched You were never really here with Joaquin Phoenix and holy shit what a punch in the face

playemright

« Reply #7786 on: November 07, 2018, 03:55:33 PM »

This holds weight but I cant help but feel theres some kinda double trickery involved, either way real interesting. Theres one about the zimbabwe incident with the schoolkids coming out this year too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8o2oJYzhJg

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #7787 on: November 07, 2018, 11:25:54 PM »

The lack of unneeded exposition was great.

colt cannon lunchbox

• Rep: -92
« Reply #7788 on: November 08, 2018, 12:06:12 AM »
Just watched You were never really here with Joaquin Phoenix and holy shit what a punch in the face

This movie bored me. Love Lynne Ramsay and Joaquin but for a character study, the main character didn't have enough depth for me.

Don't worry, he won't get far on foot was far more enjoyable

brucewillis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
  • Die Hard. www.casualskateshop.com.br
« Reply #7789 on: November 09, 2018, 02:59:58 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This movie bored me. Love Lynne Ramsay and Joaquin but for a character study, the main character didn't have enough depth for me.

I like the way she explores the details in her films, that's what got me into this. But i still think We need to talk about Kevin is her best movie.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #7790 on: November 09, 2018, 07:46:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I liked it, probably because I'm a Joaquin Phoenix fanboy, but it was definitely a flawed movie. The PTSD vigilante rescuing a girl was good. The evil governor and federal assassins killing his mom? Huh? What the fuck was that there for?

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7791 on: November 09, 2018, 01:28:33 PM »
Black Klansman

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

saucy ragu

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 514
« Reply #7792 on: November 11, 2018, 09:49:43 AM »
Beautiful Boy was moving. It was agonizing at times, but necessary. Bless Steve Carell.
Quote from: brent
sorrymom, when 112 sing to you what kinda feelin do it bring to you?

Seduction

• Rep: 5
« Reply #7793 on: November 27, 2018, 07:18:56 PM »

Criterion needs to upgrade this to Blu-ray. I can only imagine what people thought of this film in 1922, it’s so rotten and evil for it’s time.

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7794 on: December 07, 2018, 06:26:21 PM »
the graduate .. it’s so beautiful
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

empty tha clip

• Rep: -4
« Reply #7795 on: December 08, 2018, 12:46:42 AM »
bohemian rhapsody was pretty damn good, going to see it again tonight

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -131
« Reply #7797 on: December 14, 2018, 03:14:52 AM »
Watched Caligula the other day as a Netflix and chill type of deal but honestly the movie was quite good and we ended up watching the whole movie in two segments..

Too bad that type of films would never be in this day and age..

whorific

• Rep: -169
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #7798 on: December 14, 2018, 05:48:03 AM »
practice post
" I did not say this I am not here"

slippy

• Rep: 82
« Reply #7799 on: December 14, 2018, 09:14:32 AM »
bohemian rhapsody was pretty damn good, going to see it again tonight

Second this, I am not a fan of a lot of films centered around music because they tend to play entire songs like a music video.  I was extremely stoked to see they play snippets and sections until the end when you really care to hear 1 or 2 longer songs.  Great flick
people who refuse to use apple products can blow my fucking stupid hog