Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 925650 times)

A Rolled Ankle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 46
    • http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd158/mindhead84/rza_1455.jpg avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #1470 on: October 01, 2009, 10:33:47 AM »
Inglorious Bastards! GREAT MOVIE

frisco

« Reply #1471 on: October 01, 2009, 11:31:06 AM »
the ending to taxi driver is just showing that there is still a bit of craziness left in bickle. just showing that he could easily slip back into a violent rage, and that he is definitely not somehow turned normal after being labeled a hero.

This and it also in a way shows how American society and mainstream media can turn a nut case like Travis into a "hero" when yes, he was looking out for her best interests, but lets face it, he just needed to get some killing in

Expand Quote
oh, and I watched observe and report yesterday, It was ok, I'm always down for seth green movies.
[close]

seth green wasn't in that.

lol

"The Pianist" - missed it the first time round, but by the magic of the internet I was able to watch it a few days ago. Watch it, if you haven't already.

I'm going to watch it sometime this week, i've never seen it, I usually stayed away because the movie sounded so much like "The Penis"

ugly ass kook

• Rep: -58
« Reply #1472 on: October 01, 2009, 01:12:47 PM »
seth rogan* I always get those names mixed up.

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #1473 on: October 01, 2009, 01:55:20 PM »
Expand Quote
the ending to taxi driver is just showing that there is still a bit of craziness left in bickle. just showing that he could easily slip back into a violent rage, and that he is definitely not somehow turned normal after being labeled a hero.
[close]

This and it also in a way shows how American society and mainstream media can turn a nut case like Travis into a "hero" when yes, he was looking out for her best interests, but lets face it, he just needed to get some killing in

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
oh, and I watched observe and report yesterday, It was ok, I'm always down for seth green movies.
[close]

seth green wasn't in that.
[close]

lol

Expand Quote
"The Pianist" - missed it the first time round, but by the magic of the internet I was able to watch it a few days ago. Watch it, if you haven't already.
[close]

I'm going to watch it sometime this week, i've never seen it, I usually stayed away because the movie sounded so much like "The Penis"

Oh man you're in for a treat if you haven't seen The Pianist before. Adrien Brody is absolutely flawless. Definitely one of my favourite movies.

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #1474 on: October 01, 2009, 01:57:17 PM »
I also watched Observe and Report, it was funny and made me feel really uncomfortable at times.

Nancy Chin The Manicurist

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1475 on: October 01, 2009, 01:59:30 PM »

[/quote]

i'm sure you can catch it on TV. Ever since Roman Polanski got arrested, all the major networks have been capitalizing on the event by having unofficial marathons of his films. Just the other day, HBO aired Rosemary's Baby like 4 times in a row.

bosnianslut

• Rep: 25
« Reply #1476 on: October 01, 2009, 02:58:02 PM »
Could any one recommend some good film noir?
The Big Sleep, Chinatown and Blade Runner to name a few.
i really like these Alaiis Mathez French cocoa dusted truffles

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #1477 on: October 01, 2009, 03:07:50 PM »
I've never understood the love for blade runner. I tried to watch it once but it was just so dreadfully boring.

j0rdan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
« Reply #1478 on: October 01, 2009, 03:46:36 PM »
I rewatched barton fink, such a good movie. I'm a big fan of slashers, and somehow I missed this one.

bruce campbell was in it for like 2 seconds at the end, even though his name is on the front cover haha. pretty entertaining movie, had some interesting kills/gore.

frisco

« Reply #1479 on: October 01, 2009, 04:11:40 PM »
Just saw 9.... while the characters were super original looking, and visually, the movie was awesome, I thought the story was kinda slow and boring.

I thought it was one of the worst movies of the year. Seriously brutal, they fucking said "We have to go back!" "We have to save them!" about 40 times in that fucking movie

And the animation wasn't even good IMO, it looked like a bad cut scene from a video game.

I've never understood the love for blade runner. I tried to watch it once but it was just so dreadfully boring.

For 82 it looks amazing, Kubricks 2001 still to me is the greatest sci fi movie of all time but Blade Runner is up there, the visuals are ridiculous for its time much like 2001

Miadaskate

• Rep: 1
« Reply #1480 on: October 01, 2009, 04:24:56 PM »

Thanks for your opinions on Taxi Driver. I guess Scorsese made the film in a way that it will have some people asking questions about it. The same goes for the Coen brothers with No Country For Old Men. The Pianist is really good. For those who haven't seen it yet, I hope you guys enjoy it.

trafficjam

« Reply #1481 on: October 01, 2009, 06:09:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i dont even think he was looking out for her best interests. i didnt notice it until the 30th time watching, but when he attempts to commit suicide after killing all the thugs, he points the gun at her and tries shooting. bickle had problems, plain and simple.i always notice little things every time watching it. still my favorite movie of all time.

I rewatched barton fink, such a good movie. I'm a big fan of slashers, and somehow I missed this one.

bruce campbell was in it for like 2 seconds at the end, even though his name is on the front cover haha. pretty entertaining movie, had some interesting kills/gore.

HELL YES! intruder is nuts, dudes getting their heads cut in two by saw blades and some other gnarly stuff.

i bought both deer hunter and dirty harry on dvd today. its nice making the change to dvd.

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #1482 on: October 01, 2009, 07:30:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Could any one recommend some good film noir?
[close]
The Big Sleep, Chinatown and Blade Runner to name a few.

Will check out The Big Sleep, love the other two, never thought of Blade Runner as film noir, but it makes sense.

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #1483 on: October 01, 2009, 07:32:10 PM »

Try reading the short story first and give it another chance, it starts off boring but gets really good.

Nancy Chin The Manicurist

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1484 on: October 01, 2009, 10:08:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Try reading the short story first and give it another chance, it starts off boring but gets really good.

yeah, it's the type of movie that's pretty whatever at first...but gets better with subsequent viewings.

I remember falling asleep during Brazil. I watched it again like a year later, and loved it.

McCly

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -12
« Reply #1485 on: October 01, 2009, 10:37:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

yeah, it's the type of movie that's pretty whatever at first...but gets better with subsequent viewings.

I remember falling asleep during Brazil. I watched it again like a year later, and loved it.

I was the same way. I kept zoning out in my first viewing of Blade Runner, but I kept thinking about it for a couple of months. Then I watched it again and loved it. There's some stuff in there left to interpretation you just don't get the first couple of times. (Especially the BIG thing  :o)

sergioflorez

« Reply #1486 on: October 01, 2009, 10:40:24 PM »
not the last movie i saw, but i went out in search of this iranian film i saw in middle school. no luck yet.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Balloon

frisco

« Reply #1487 on: October 02, 2009, 11:10:49 PM »

Shit was dope, can anyone recommend some of newmans other good ones? I've barely seen any

yeahmmm

• Rep: -23
« Reply #1488 on: October 02, 2009, 11:18:34 PM »
Ghost World

Bipsmound

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 803
    • Turd Magazine avatar image
« Reply #1489 on: October 03, 2009, 06:27:22 AM »
Shit was dope, can anyone recommend some of newmans other good ones? I've barely seen any

The Sting, The Hustler, and Butch Cassidy are all pretty essential.  I have a soft spot for Slap Shot too cause I got in vhs when I was like 10.  I was hyped on the brief titty flashing until I saw Zapped.  I think it's time for a rewatch.

j0rdan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
« Reply #1490 on: October 03, 2009, 10:05:15 AM »
not the last movie i saw, but i went out in search of this iranian film i saw in middle school. no luck yet.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Balloon

I've also been looking for a movie, I was wondering if anyone could help.

I saw it around 8-10 years ago. it looked pretty low budget, the picture looked like it was filmed with a handheld camera, and it MAY have been canadian.

anyways, I guess you could say it's a horror movie. all I can really remember is that it was about a guy who received a box, inside of it had a big talking worm or something. I think at some point the worm also had sex with a girl. the movie could have been called "the crate" or "the box," something like that.

anyways if anyone has any idea what I'm talking about, let me know.

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #1491 on: October 03, 2009, 10:11:37 PM »

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #1492 on: October 03, 2009, 10:50:28 PM »
oh god, i can't wait for the road. cormac mccarthy , john hillcoat, viggo and nick cave and warren ellis doing the soundtrack. i'm calling movie of the year 2009, already. october 16 can't come soon enough.

frisco

« Reply #1493 on: October 03, 2009, 11:40:28 PM »
oh god, i can't wait for the road. cormac mccarthy , john hillcoat, viggo and nick cave and warren ellis doing the soundtrack. i'm calling movie of the year 2009, already. october 16 can't come soon enough.

I agree, been waiting for this one for a long time, The Assassination of Jesse James was scored by Nick Cave and Warren Ellis, next to Shawshank its probably my favourite OST, pretty much anything Thomas Newman does actually, American Beauty, Road to Perdition, all of his stuff is rad

Buddha

• Rep: -205
« Reply #1494 on: October 04, 2009, 01:34:53 AM »

I'm a fan of David Eggers plus I'm going through some life shit and this flick has inspired me to finally get the fuck out of here.  Watching Ghost Dog again helped as well. 

larry bertlemann

• Rep: 15
  • brain cemented, mix it in a blender..
« Reply #1495 on: October 04, 2009, 10:04:03 AM »
^hipster

JunglePOP

• Rep: 29
  • Art Hellemen where are you?
« Reply #1496 on: October 04, 2009, 11:16:48 AM »
I saw A Serious Man on friday and it was pretty cool. The Coen brothers pull another WTF?!?! ending that left me guessing.  I liked it mainly because it was about a jewish family living in minnesota, which I relate to. If you like Coen brothers films then this one is for you d00d
Sorry, sometimes I get overly defensive on that point.

Brandon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 291
« Reply #1497 on: October 04, 2009, 11:40:50 AM »
i went to see paranormal activity at midnight last night and i've never left a theater feeling so "ehh..." before.  only upside were the trailers for the new coen brothers flick and the road, which both look really fucking good.

in conclusion, fuck paranormal activity.

thieveslikeus

« Reply #1498 on: October 04, 2009, 11:51:45 AM »
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 11:56:47 AM by thieveslikeus »

frisco

« Reply #1499 on: October 04, 2009, 12:04:01 PM »
I saw A Serious Man on friday and it was pretty cool. The Coen brothers pull another WTF?!?! ending that left me guessing.  I liked it mainly because it was about a jewish family living in minnesota, which I relate to. If you like Coen brothers films then this one is for you d00d

WHAT THE FUCK, its out!? Fuck I've been waiting for a new Deakins movie for the longest damn time, this had no advertising whatsoever and I didnt bother to check the release date, definitely checking this shit out tonight, stoked, thanks