Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 575103 times)

trafficjam

Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #1500 on: October 01, 2009, 06:09:01 PM »
the ending to taxi driver is just showing that there is still a bit of craziness left in bickle. just showing that he could easily slip back into a violent rage, and that he is definitely not somehow turned normal after being labeled a hero.

This and it also in a way shows how American society and mainstream media can turn a nut case like Travis into a "hero" when yes, he was looking out for her best interests, but lets face it, he just needed to get some killing in

i dont even think he was looking out for her best interests. i didnt notice it until the 30th time watching, but when he attempts to commit suicide after killing all the thugs, he points the gun at her and tries shooting. bickle had problems, plain and simple.i always notice little things every time watching it. still my favorite movie of all time.

I rewatched barton fink, such a good movie. I'm a big fan of slashers, and somehow I missed this one.

bruce campbell was in it for like 2 seconds at the end, even though his name is on the front cover haha. pretty entertaining movie, had some interesting kills/gore.

HELL YES! intruder is nuts, dudes getting their heads cut in two by saw blades and some other gnarly stuff.

i bought both deer hunter and dirty harry on dvd today. its nice making the change to dvd.

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -417
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #1501 on: October 01, 2009, 07:30:34 PM »
Could any one recommend some good film noir?
The Big Sleep, Chinatown and Blade Runner to name a few.

Will check out The Big Sleep, love the other two, never thought of Blade Runner as film noir, but it makes sense.

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #1502 on: October 01, 2009, 07:32:10 PM »
I've never understood the love for blade runner. I tried to watch it once but it was just so dreadfully boring.

Try reading the short story first and give it another chance, it starts off boring but gets really good.

Nancy Chin The Manicurist

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 189
« Reply #1503 on: October 01, 2009, 10:08:08 PM »
I've never understood the love for blade runner. I tried to watch it once but it was just so dreadfully boring.

Try reading the short story first and give it another chance, it starts off boring but gets really good.

yeah, it's the type of movie that's pretty whatever at first...but gets better with subsequent viewings.

I remember falling asleep during Brazil. I watched it again like a year later, and loved it.

McCly

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -7
« Reply #1504 on: October 01, 2009, 10:37:29 PM »

yeah, it's the type of movie that's pretty whatever at first...but gets better with subsequent viewings.

I remember falling asleep during Brazil. I watched it again like a year later, and loved it.

I was the same way. I kept zoning out in my first viewing of Blade Runner, but I kept thinking about it for a couple of months. Then I watched it again and loved it. There's some stuff in there left to interpretation you just don't get the first couple of times. (Especially the BIG thing  :o)

sergioflorez

« Reply #1505 on: October 01, 2009, 10:40:24 PM »
not the last movie i saw, but i went out in search of this iranian film i saw in middle school. no luck yet.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Balloon

frisco

« Reply #1506 on: October 02, 2009, 11:10:49 PM »

Shit was dope, can anyone recommend some of newmans other good ones? I've barely seen any

yeahmmm

• Rep: -23
« Reply #1507 on: October 02, 2009, 11:18:34 PM »
Ghost World

Bipsmound

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 802
    • Turd Magazine
« Reply #1508 on: October 03, 2009, 06:27:22 AM »
Shit was dope, can anyone recommend some of newmans other good ones? I've barely seen any

The Sting, The Hustler, and Butch Cassidy are all pretty essential.  I have a soft spot for Slap Shot too cause I got in vhs when I was like 10.  I was hyped on the brief titty flashing until I saw Zapped.  I think it's time for a rewatch.

j0rdan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 82
  • ))<>(( forever.
« Reply #1509 on: October 03, 2009, 10:05:15 AM »
not the last movie i saw, but i went out in search of this iranian film i saw in middle school. no luck yet.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Balloon

I've also been looking for a movie, I was wondering if anyone could help.

I saw it around 8-10 years ago. it looked pretty low budget, the picture looked like it was filmed with a handheld camera, and it MAY have been canadian.

anyways, I guess you could say it's a horror movie. all I can really remember is that it was about a guy who received a box, inside of it had a big talking worm or something. I think at some point the worm also had sex with a girl. the movie could have been called "the crate" or "the box," something like that.

anyways if anyone has any idea what I'm talking about, let me know.

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #1510 on: October 03, 2009, 10:11:37 PM »

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 630
« Reply #1511 on: October 03, 2009, 10:50:28 PM »
oh god, i can't wait for the road. cormac mccarthy , john hillcoat, viggo and nick cave and warren ellis doing the soundtrack. i'm calling movie of the year 2009, already. october 16 can't come soon enough.

frisco

« Reply #1512 on: October 03, 2009, 11:40:28 PM »
oh god, i can't wait for the road. cormac mccarthy , john hillcoat, viggo and nick cave and warren ellis doing the soundtrack. i'm calling movie of the year 2009, already. october 16 can't come soon enough.

I agree, been waiting for this one for a long time, The Assassination of Jesse James was scored by Nick Cave and Warren Ellis, next to Shawshank its probably my favourite OST, pretty much anything Thomas Newman does actually, American Beauty, Road to Perdition, all of his stuff is rad

Buddha

• Rep: -209
« Reply #1513 on: October 04, 2009, 01:34:53 AM »

I'm a fan of David Eggers plus I'm going through some life shit and this flick has inspired me to finally get the fuck out of here.  Watching Ghost Dog again helped as well. 

larry bertlemann

• Rep: 15
  • brain cemented, mix it in a blender..
« Reply #1514 on: October 04, 2009, 10:04:03 AM »
^hipster

HATE!

• Administrator
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1158
« Reply #1515 on: October 04, 2009, 10:53:58 AM »
Gonna try and see Zombieland today.

JunglePOP

• Rep: 29
  • Art Hellemen where are you?
« Reply #1516 on: October 04, 2009, 11:16:48 AM »
I saw A Serious Man on friday and it was pretty cool. The Coen brothers pull another WTF?!?! ending that left me guessing.  I liked it mainly because it was about a jewish family living in minnesota, which I relate to. If you like Coen brothers films then this one is for you d00d
Sorry, sometimes I get overly defensive on that point.

Brandon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
  • how can it be? she's a...boy!
« Reply #1517 on: October 04, 2009, 11:40:50 AM »
i went to see paranormal activity at midnight last night and i've never left a theater feeling so "ehh..." before.  only upside were the trailers for the new coen brothers flick and the road, which both look really fucking good.

in conclusion, fuck paranormal activity.

thieveslikeus

« Reply #1518 on: October 04, 2009, 11:51:45 AM »
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 11:56:47 AM by thieveslikeus »

frisco

« Reply #1519 on: October 04, 2009, 12:04:01 PM »
I saw A Serious Man on friday and it was pretty cool. The Coen brothers pull another WTF?!?! ending that left me guessing.  I liked it mainly because it was about a jewish family living in minnesota, which I relate to. If you like Coen brothers films then this one is for you d00d

WHAT THE FUCK, its out!? Fuck I've been waiting for a new Deakins movie for the longest damn time, this had no advertising whatsoever and I didnt bother to check the release date, definitely checking this shit out tonight, stoked, thanks

HATE!

• Administrator
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1158
« Reply #1520 on: October 04, 2009, 04:57:05 PM »
Well I saw Zombieland and man, I gotta say it was a pretty fun movie.  Totally made up for me wasting my money on 9.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -5
« Reply #1521 on: October 04, 2009, 09:59:36 PM »

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of retarded kids and a van full of paraplegics.

trafficjam

« Reply #1522 on: October 04, 2009, 10:22:29 PM »

I'm a fan of David Eggers plus I'm going through some life shit and this flick has inspired me to finally get the fuck out of here.  Watching Ghost Dog again helped as well. 
every movie poster looks like this now

McCly

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -7
« Reply #1523 on: October 04, 2009, 10:38:00 PM »
At least it's not

RED TEXT WHITE BACKGROUND

frisco

« Reply #1524 on: October 04, 2009, 11:03:06 PM »
Those are the best

trafficjam

« Reply #1525 on: October 05, 2009, 12:26:03 PM »
Those are the best

HAHA even the last broken link is red text white background

Des Esseintes

• Rep: 21
« Reply #1526 on: October 05, 2009, 01:17:18 PM »

The Sting, The Hustler, and Butch Cassidy are all pretty essential.  I have a soft spot for Slap Shot too cause I got in vhs when I was like 10.  I was hyped on the brief titty flashing until I saw Zapped.  I think it's time for a rewatch.

He's good in Hudsucker Proxy an' all.

Anyone seen the invention of lying yet?

« Reply #1527 on: October 05, 2009, 02:08:44 PM »

Wathing good ol' scarface atm, forgot how cool this film is!

" This town like a great big pussy just waiting to get fucked! "

Hes like the man!

kilgore.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
« Reply #1528 on: October 05, 2009, 02:10:14 PM »
Before The Devil Knows You're Dead.
No holds barred, til labias say "free us"
then its straight to your kids' school, wine coolers in the Prius

frisco

« Reply #1529 on: October 05, 2009, 02:19:29 PM »
Before The Devil Knows You're Dead.

Yes sir, Marissa getting fucked in the beginning is unreal

My friend swears by Anti-Christ, says its amazing, might have to watch it tonight