Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 576134 times)

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -319
  • Release the hounds
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #3240 on: August 27, 2010, 09:09:08 AM »

Tekkonkinkreet

Good story and good art

CaptainMorganFreeman

• Rep: 45
    • proskates.com
« Reply #3241 on: August 27, 2010, 09:43:39 AM »

has anyone seen A Serbian Film?

prettybird

• Rep: -2
« Reply #3242 on: August 27, 2010, 09:50:57 AM »

best ive seen in a long time.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1207
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #3243 on: August 27, 2010, 12:27:02 PM »

i know so many people who hate this movie but i absolutely love it. i think i might even like it more than good bad and the ugly. leone certainly knows how to take his time telling a complete story without boring me.

god damn that looks good
I

frisco

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
« Reply #3244 on: August 27, 2010, 02:09:10 PM »
Mother

Japanese film about the mother of a mentally handicapped
young adult, and her desperation to keep him out of trouble.
Lots of interesting existential themes, visually captivating.

how did you see this? Has it been released on dvd yet? Ive been waiting to catch this one for a little while

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
« Reply #3245 on: August 27, 2010, 02:39:07 PM »

i know so many people who hate this movie but i absolutely love it. i think i might even like it more than good bad and the ugly. leone certainly knows how to take his time telling a complete story without boring me.

god damn that looks good
definitely check it out man. its slow at times but in a good way. very dream like and beautiful cinematography.
my first 2 years of college have been impressive. Can you say the same?

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3246 on: August 27, 2010, 02:44:46 PM »
wow im impressed with the amount of film buffs on slap. anyone on here interested in filmmaking by any chance?
Confession: I've got my fantasies of being a filmmaker.

I think I'm too much of a coward to simply go for it though. Ironic isn't it? Film making today has never been more accessible thanks to digital cameras and editing software, but at the end of the day, that shit still takes some balls.

i think you should go for it if you really love it. purchase a cheap video camera and just start making little shorts. your first few will suck (mine did) but the process and learning experience is priceless. keep practicing and you will start noticing improvements. im going to school for it but i honestly think film school is overrated. creativity beats a sterilized film school education any day. i believe that more people with god taste in movies should believe in themselves and make them!

strangefires

« Reply #3247 on: August 27, 2010, 02:54:16 PM »
Mother

Japanese film about the mother of a mentally handicapped
young adult, and her desperation to keep him out of trouble.
Lots of interesting existential themes, visually captivating.

how did you see this? Has it been released on dvd yet? Ive been waiting to catch this one for a little while

Netflix. it's actually on instant stream right now.

whitemanjazz

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 417
« Reply #3248 on: August 27, 2010, 03:04:21 PM »

god damn that looks good
definitely check it out man. its slow at times but in a good way. very dream like and beautiful cinematography.

Woods/De Niro absolutely killed it together. I rented if from netflix, so I got the see the original version with the 2 rape scenes as opposed to the condensed US version where the story goes in chronological order. Only thing that was confusing was the 3/4 guys looking for De Niro's character in the beginning? Never explains that. The Prohibition Era is probably my favorite genre of films.
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3249 on: August 27, 2010, 04:00:05 PM »

god damn that looks good

Woods/De Niro absolutely killed it together. I rented if from netflix, so I got the see the original version with the 2 rape scenes as opposed to the condensed US version where the story goes in chronological order. Only thing that was confusing was the 3/4 guys looking for De Niro's character in the beginning? Never explains that. The Prohibition Era is probably my favorite genre of films.
havent seen this in awhile but from what i remember arent they sent by james woods' character? or are they some of his childhood friends? i need to watch this again. i have the special edition dvd so i think ive seen the uncut version.

frisco

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
« Reply #3250 on: August 27, 2010, 04:10:50 PM »

god damn that looks good

I'd be interested to see the US version just for the sake of storytelling. Seeing it chronologically would add a strange dynamic to the film. So much importance is shown with DeNiro visiting childhood places and having flashbacks, I love the way its put together. I'm going to look for a download of the US version, I'll post it if anyone else is interested.

whitemanjazz

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 417
« Reply #3251 on: August 27, 2010, 04:17:25 PM »
"The film premiered out of competition at the 1984 Cannes Film Festival[1] in its original running time of 229 minutes (3 hours 49 minutes). However, against Leone's wishes, it was released in the United States in a heavily edited and truncated version (almost ninety minutes shorter than the original version released in Europe). The short version eliminates the elaborate flashback  structure of the film, instead placing all of the scenes in chronological order. Leone was reportedly heartbroken by the American cut, and never made another movie before his death in 1989, making this his final film." I completely agree man, probably my favorite part of the film are the flashbacks. You get a better in depth of the storyline. Love the kind of bittersweet ending.
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

MrDreamPop

• Rep: -86
« Reply #3252 on: August 28, 2010, 03:39:10 AM »
life poser

jojo_fosho

• Rep: -2
« Reply #3253 on: August 28, 2010, 04:11:09 AM »

Fuck man, this movie was so good.

Smurph

• Rep: 30
« Reply #3254 on: August 28, 2010, 04:22:00 AM »
I only watched this for the first time last night;

I rarely remark on actors but shit, Christian Bale killed it. I plan on reading the book but I have a serious backlog of things to get through first. And I'm not going to lie, still a bit baffled as to the whole story.

CaptainMorganFreeman

• Rep: 45
    • proskates.com
« Reply #3255 on: August 28, 2010, 07:02:47 AM »
i watched this like once a year since i first saw it.

David

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 26
« Reply #3256 on: August 28, 2010, 07:54:56 AM »

god damn that looks good

I'd be interested to see the US version just for the sake of storytelling. Seeing it chronologically would add a strange dynamic to the film. So
much importance is shown with DeNiro visiting childhood places and having flashbacks, I love the way its put together. I'm going to look for a
download of the US version, I'll post it if anyone else is interested.

Kosher Nostra.

this movie is badass.

strangefires

« Reply #3257 on: August 28, 2010, 08:30:01 AM »
Woman in the Dunes

Korean new wave film. beautifully filmed.
you should see it

CUDDLEMONSTER

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
  • reptiles
« Reply #3258 on: August 28, 2010, 08:56:00 AM »

Kosher Nostra.

made me lol. my dad is jewish and my mom is sicilian. that must make me kosher nostra.

David

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 26
« Reply #3259 on: August 28, 2010, 09:18:05 AM »
Awesome

Tarquin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 322
« Reply #3260 on: August 28, 2010, 05:36:57 PM »

I rarely remark on actors but shit, Christian Bale killed it. I plan on reading the book but I have a serious backlog of things to get through first. And I'm not going to lie, still a bit baffled as to the whole story.

The book is completely insane. I'd highly recommend it.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3261 on: August 28, 2010, 10:10:24 PM »
Awesome

cant stand most of tony scotts films but this was good. maybe because im a big fan of quentins writing. that scene is one of the most well acted scenes ive seen.

BFKskateboards

« Reply #3262 on: August 28, 2010, 11:39:34 PM »
forrest gump was on today

strangefires

« Reply #3263 on: August 29, 2010, 08:11:23 AM »
just DLed inception in 1080p  ;D

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -319
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #3264 on: August 29, 2010, 12:58:26 PM »

smokecrack

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #3265 on: August 29, 2010, 01:30:23 PM »
just DLed inception in 1080p  ;D

don't do that to yourself, strangefires. it's definitely a see-it-in-theatres kind of movie

SZA

• Rep: 9
« Reply #3266 on: August 29, 2010, 08:12:07 PM »

I don't know why i put off watching this for so long, absolutely amazing. Everything about this film was perfect.

Also, Ralph Fiennes really creeped me out.

Mackattack

« Reply #3267 on: August 29, 2010, 08:17:42 PM »

The book is completely insane. I'd highly recommend it.

Second this. The movie does the book no justice. Stomach turning brutality mixed with humorous satire.

VictoriousOG

« Reply #3268 on: August 29, 2010, 10:12:45 PM »

I really enjoy this one. A bit slow in the beginning, but after that, every thing kicks off.

Not usually a man for musicals, but I gave Nine a chance and I wasn't really bored with it at all. Daniel Day Lewis does a magnificent job in this movie too.

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #3269 on: August 29, 2010, 11:35:38 PM »
Even Daniel Day-Lewis can't make me watch that movie.