Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 578993 times)

frisco

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #3570 on: November 15, 2010, 01:40:29 AM »
^ yes and no, I guess it differs for people but I liked the Playboy bunny helicopter scene so it sort of cancels eachother out. Although that french dinner scene really slowed down the pace.

just re watched this movie

Paul Thomas Anderson kills it, really looking forward to his new film

highly recommend

The Bullet

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 137
« Reply #3571 on: November 15, 2010, 09:46:32 AM »
french helicopter scene was legit.  I loved when Fishburns head pops up in the window and when asked who he was he says "oh I'm next" or something like that.

And Magnolia is amazing.  I gotta watch that again

jack burton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
« Reply #3572 on: November 15, 2010, 10:08:24 AM »
^^ strange film

The doors in the intro is fantastic.

Ive been wanting to watch this for so long but with working all the time I just cant find it in me to sit and stare at my tv for three hours.

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 253
« Reply #3573 on: November 15, 2010, 12:49:20 PM »

Love it.

whitemanjazz

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 417
« Reply #3574 on: November 15, 2010, 03:57:21 PM »
^^ strange film

I watched the 'redux' version a few weeks ago.  WTF was going on with that french village scene.  That sucked and made the movie feel 6 hours long.  Least it had some boobies...

Original edit was way better imo

I know exactly what you mean. Maybe if I spoke French. I'm sure is has some connotation to the film, I know I certainly couldn't figure it out. I guess he was saying Americans shouldn't have provoked war? who knows...

I haven't seen the original since I was a kid. Martin Sheen nailed that role though. Especially the shell shock in the beginning.

edit watched this right after. Was hard seeing Marty playing a dramatic role

Loved Sean Penn though, despite being over-dramatic at times.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 03:59:18 PM by whitemanjazz »
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

landCow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #3575 on: November 15, 2010, 08:04:33 PM »
I dont think I have ever seen an actor, who was more stuck in the role like Bale in this movie...INCRETIBLE

when i was in film school i made a short film which had the same basic plot as the machinist, I was a little taken back when i first saw it haha. of course the machinist was infinitely better and it was just coincidence but I thought it was funny.

recently I saw alien and aliens on blu ray. so soo good. the chestburster scene from alien in HD was one of the craziest things i have ever seen.

VictoriousOG

« Reply #3576 on: November 15, 2010, 08:31:25 PM »
Been working on a project about Greasers and Preps in the 1950s so I decided to rewatch The Outsiders.

frisco

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3577 on: November 16, 2010, 01:06:40 AM »
^^ strange film

I watched the 'redux' version a few weeks ago.  WTF was going on with that french village scene.  That sucked and made the movie feel 6 hours long.  Least it had some boobies...

I know exactly what you mean. Maybe if I spoke French. I'm sure is has some connotation to the film, I know I certainly couldn't figure it out. I guess he was saying Americans shouldn't have provoked war? who knows...

I haven't seen the original since I was a kid. Martin Sheen nailed that role though. Especially the shell shock in the beginning.

edit watched this right after. Was hard seeing Marty playing a dramatic role

Loved Sean Penn though, despite being over-dramatic at times.

His legendary meltdown scene was all unscripted and real, he was drunk and having a breakdown, he punched the mirror and was actually bleeding and sobbing uncontrollably, he tried to attack Francis too

Coppalas wife made an amazing documentary about the making of Apocalypse Now thats almost as good as the movie itself

boyan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #3578 on: November 16, 2010, 01:22:30 AM »
last night I watched the very first planet of the apes movie from 1968

people sure were creative back when technology wasn't a factor
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 01:24:16 AM by boyan »

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #3579 on: November 16, 2010, 02:01:26 AM »

The conflict in Vietnam was originally a war of liberation by the Viet Minh against the colonial french forces and japanese occupiers during WWII. The US financed France until they finally gave up in 1954, then they stepped in because they were scared about the spread of communism in Asia. I think Coppola was trying to bring in some of this history with the French dinner scene and kind of break up the narrative a little bit. I agree that it kinda ends up feeling like an unnecessary side plot due to the length, but that scene where the dudes emerge out of the mist with rifles is still pretty rad.

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• Rep: 86
  • AndyRoysNeck
« Reply #3580 on: November 16, 2010, 11:51:22 AM »
I fucking love this movie

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
« Reply #3581 on: November 20, 2010, 05:46:24 AM »
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 04:36:21 PM by Gnarfunkell »

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 452
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt
« Reply #3582 on: November 20, 2010, 01:02:52 PM »
Watched Cool Hand Luke last night. Shit's good.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

strangefires

« Reply #3583 on: November 20, 2010, 01:13:32 PM »
watched valley of the dolls for the first time and loved it, which is exponentially more than i can say about roger ebert and russ meyer's travesty that followed

Omamori

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -127
« Reply #3584 on: November 20, 2010, 02:40:22 PM »
Just came back from watch Harry Potter. Probably the best one yet.

bndla

• Rep: -14
« Reply #3585 on: November 20, 2010, 02:55:12 PM »
JAY AND SILENT BOB STRIKE BACK  >:(

Ernie McCracken

• Rep: 35
« Reply #3586 on: November 20, 2010, 03:29:53 PM »
last night I watched the very first planet of the apes movie from 1968

people sure were creative back when technology wasn't a factor

I did that last year when AMC had the marathon. I remember watching the first one while eating breakfast, and next thing I knew I spent the whole day watching all of them.

Ernie McCracken

• Rep: 35
« Reply #3587 on: November 20, 2010, 03:51:50 PM »
Oh and I just got back from seeing 127 Hours... Shit was heavy.  During the amputation scene I kept thinking like a little bitch "Fuck. this is so intense, did they really have to make it this hard to watch? This is almost too much." But when you get out of the theater and process the movie, you really understand how much Aaron Ralston went through and it would have been stupid if they didn't make that scene intense.  No matter how well the story has been described in interviews, books, or whatever, the movie beings the best perspective on how amazing this guy's journey was. And James Franco definitely deserves some serious consideration for an Oscar.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 03:53:28 PM by daydreamnation »

VictoriousOG

« Reply #3588 on: November 20, 2010, 05:59:54 PM »
About to watch the Book of Eli when I get home.

strangefires

« Reply #3589 on: November 20, 2010, 06:08:33 PM »

lol don't

Brandon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
  • how can it be? she's a...boy!
« Reply #3590 on: November 20, 2010, 06:10:45 PM »
gets better every time i see it.  soundtrack's the best part.

smokecrack

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #3591 on: November 20, 2010, 06:24:25 PM »

lol don't

jeez, just let 'em watch it on his own. it's ok. has some good scenes. plus, Mila Kunis and Gary Oldman are in it. hope you enjoy it, Vic.

127 Hours looks pretty good. my gf loves James Franco, so 'ill probably end up seeing it soon.

saw this multi-million dollar stinker last week. the ending is so out-there and weird. pretty enjoyable when stoned/drunk though (then again, what isn't?)

(i just realized that i'm not really that into indie films or art-house type movies anymore. i'm 24, but when i was in my teens i was all into david lynch, ifc, larry clark/harmony korrine, hitchcock, herzog, alejandro jodorowsky, kubrick, terry gilliam, john cassavetes, etc. i'll give a lot of movies a chance nowadays, but i think my patience for slow, avant-garde movies has worn off a bit. am i getting older or am i just over art films? has anybody else had a change in taste like this over time?)

ROCKxADIO420

« Reply #3592 on: November 20, 2010, 06:56:48 PM »
yeah i watched little miss sunshine on tv today for the first time since it came out and had no idea why i ever liked it.

strangefires

« Reply #3593 on: November 20, 2010, 07:05:37 PM »

lol don't

jeez, just let 'em watch it on his own. it's ok. has some good scenes. plus, Mila Kunis and Gary Oldman are in it. hope you enjoy it, Vic.

127 Hours looks pretty good. my gf loves James Franco, so 'ill probably end up seeing it soon.

saw this multi-million dollar stinker last week. the ending is so out-there and weird. pretty enjoyable when stoned/drunk though (then again, what isn't?)

(i just realized that i'm not really that into indie films or art-house type movies anymore. i'm 24, but when i was in my teens i was all into david lynch, ifc, larry clark/harmony korrine, hitchcock, herzog, alejandro jodorowsky, kubrick, terry gilliam, john cassavetes, etc. i'll give a lot of movies a chance nowadays, but i think my patience for slow, avant-garde movies has worn off a bit. am i getting older or am i just over art films? has anybody else had a change in taste like this over time?)

everyone watches 'the greats'. what you ultimately end up liking is obviously subjective. I don't think it's 'outgrowing' them so much as just refining and becoming more aware of what you enjoy.

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #3594 on: November 20, 2010, 07:24:30 PM »
Maybe you're just getting dumber?

strangefires

« Reply #3595 on: November 20, 2010, 07:25:10 PM »
lol

barrierkultt

• Rep: 7
« Reply #3596 on: November 20, 2010, 08:21:03 PM »

landCow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #3597 on: November 20, 2010, 08:52:56 PM »
I saw a movie called altered states recently. Its about a scientist who does all these experiments with drugs and isolation tanks. its pretty out there and pretty trippy at points but its a good little watch.

as I type this I have Jaws playing in the background and really you cant go past it. amazing movie

frisco

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3598 on: November 21, 2010, 02:45:40 AM »

real good

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 345
« Reply #3599 on: November 21, 2010, 07:10:41 AM »