Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 925421 times)

LloydChristmas

Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #3870 on: January 07, 2011, 05:14:45 PM »
saw black swan, but i'm not sure how i feel about it.  all i know is that i was rock hard for 90% of the movie, so I give it a "thumb" up

Mein Fuhrer! I can walk!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -152
« Reply #3871 on: January 08, 2011, 01:52:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Can't wait to see what the future holds for Christopher Nolan, that guy is a genius.
[close]
This is sarcasm?
Uhm, I'm afraid it's not.. why ?

frisco

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #3872 on: January 08, 2011, 02:05:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
anyone seen 127 hours yet?
[close]

I saw it. Was a little disappointed to be honest. Danny Boyle is one of my favourite directors, but I found the first half of the movie to resemble a deoderant commercial. Long shots of extreme mountain biking with what might as well be a childs garage band loop playing over it. The music actually took away from how good the rest of it was. The story its self is amazing, and James Franco destroys, but I found it pretty cheesey at times.
[close]

Replace Danny Boyle with The Coens, and 127 hours with True Grit and this is exactly how I felt. Not like a commercial but I've never had music take away from a movie so much. They may as well have put in the Price is Right fail horn everytime someone was killed.

[close]

Hmm, gonna have to disagree because I didn't take a whole lot of notice to the music being there, which makes me think I remember it being appropriate. I LOVED True Grit. That girl was phenominal.

Yeah she was great, the whole cast was amazing, not one bad performance. Just a little disappointed thats all, my own damn fault for getting too hyped. I was going in expecting something darker more like No Country but it was very different.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 672
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3873 on: January 08, 2011, 11:01:48 AM »
I don't think you're the only one. Everyone in the theater was pretty much brain dead until the final gun showdowns. The trailers definitely made the film look a lot more action packed. I think for the lack of action there was, the dialogue kept me glued. Was still a terrific Coen's film. I don't think anyone could have done it any better. I'm already ready for their next one. I still haven't gotten around to A Serious Man and Lady Killers.  
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #3874 on: January 08, 2011, 01:05:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Can't wait to see what the future holds for Christopher Nolan, that guy is a genius.
[close]
This is sarcasm?
[close]

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Jay E-Quails

• Rep: 0
« Reply #3875 on: January 08, 2011, 05:02:32 PM »

saw this with my little brother the other day.
It was a lot radder than it was when I was 5

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #3876 on: January 08, 2011, 06:21:08 PM »
I don't think you're the only one. Everyone in the theater was pretty much brain dead until the final gun showdowns. The trailers definitely made the film look a lot more action packed. I think for the lack of action there was, the dialogue kept me glued. Was still a terrific Coen's film. I don't think anyone could have done it any better. I'm already ready for their next one. I still haven't gotten around to A Serious Man and Lady Killers.  

If you weren't laughing through True Grit you'll probably hate A Serious Man.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3877 on: January 08, 2011, 07:03:13 PM »
Oh I did, just saying the people around me weren't. Especially loved when Damon and Bridges shot the cornbread out of the air. Probably my favorite scene.

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #3878 on: January 08, 2011, 07:56:19 PM »
make a hardcore metal pipe and smoke some keithweed first, a serius nan is soo gooD
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3879 on: January 08, 2011, 08:03:49 PM »
make a hardcore metal pipe and smoke some keithweed first, a serius nan is soo gooD

;)

VictoriousOG

« Reply #3880 on: January 08, 2011, 08:10:25 PM »
About to watch True Grit.

frisco

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3881 on: January 08, 2011, 08:55:55 PM »
very topical of you, looking forward to your poster  ;)

Good football (soccer) movie. Michael Sheen is great, as is Timothy Spall. Some of you football fans will like it, Mooley check it out. I went back and watched some of the original footage of Brian Clough, Sheen looks exactly like him.

Check it out though its a good one

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5059680

VictoriousOG

« Reply #3882 on: January 08, 2011, 10:55:25 PM »
True Grit. Pretty much what I thought of it has been stated:
-Dark humor. Loved the smart ass remarks from Bridges. "I don't know this man."
-Rich dialogue, though I could've used some subtitles for when Jeff Bridges spoke.
-Misperceived from the commercials as a gun slinger movie, though the actions it did contain were really good.
-Liked the cinematography in a couple scenes. And the soundtrack was moderate, but with nothing too memorable that caught my attention.
-Towards the end seemed a little bit predictable for me, but I remembered that it was a novel and they're kinda like that and I won't blame the Coens on that.
-I was into the whole major focus on the girl. Then again, I've never seen the original/read the book, so I really knew nothing about the film aside from it being a remake of the original movie with The Duke.
-The movie was definitely better then most movies that do come out today, and the Coens always know how to make a movie, though I will say they have done better and this is not one of my favorite films from them.

I kinda wish I didn't pay $10 to see this, and just waited for it at the dollar theatre. I give it a 3/5.

/foop

saucy ragu

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 514
« Reply #3883 on: January 08, 2011, 11:56:39 PM »
I can't decide on whether I liked Black Swan or not, but the copious amount of scenes of Natalie and Mila getting off was worth the cost of admission. Much more of a psychological suspense thriller than I would've thought. It started off strong and ended real well, but most of the theater laughed at a handful of scenes that I don't think were intended to be funny, myself included. That always makes me feel that a movie failed to deliver correctly. I want to say Natalie should get the Oscar, she was fully immersed in this role, but I dunno. I haven't seen too many movies in the running for the Oscars this year.
Quote from: brent
sorrymom, when 112 sing to you what kinda feelin do it bring to you?

mandibleclaw

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 559
  • "RIP to myself one day." -jereme rogers
    • mandible claw avatar image
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3884 on: January 09, 2011, 03:00:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
fuck yes! BETTER OFF DEAD was one of my favourite movies growing up.  I gotta watch that again
[close]

TWO DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[close]
He puts his testicles all over me!!

Tentacles, I think you mean tentacles.

And then there's:

This mountain is made of pure snow!!!!  We're going to be rich!!!

rickyyyyy?  riiiickkyyyyy???  the international language of loooove!

one of the most-watched movies on my shelf.
We are a noble sport more noble than any other

Mein Fuhrer! I can walk!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -152
« Reply #3885 on: January 09, 2011, 03:32:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
This is sarcasm?
[close]
[close]

I know that he already has an impressive resume, that's why I (everyone) love him so much. But he's still a young guy (40 years old) with a hopefully a lot of stuff in him. That's what I mean with my "future" remark. Look at guys like Spielberg, he made 10000 movies (maybe not all th?t great, but he has made a lot of quality stuff in his life) and I hope Nolan will do the same.

boyan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 70
« Reply #3886 on: January 09, 2011, 05:22:08 AM »

it wasn't that bad, some funny parts at times

« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 05:26:15 AM by boyan »

frisco

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3887 on: January 09, 2011, 08:03:01 AM »

I know that he already has an impressive resume, that's why I (everyone) love him so much. But he's still a young guy (40 years old) with a hopefully a lot of stuff in him. That's what I mean with my "future" remark. Look at guys like Spielberg, he made 10000 movies (maybe not all th?t great, but he has made a lot of quality stuff in his life) and I hope Nolan will do the same.

Nolan is not the next Speilberg.

JJ Abrams is the next Speilberg.

BuddyPal

« Reply #3888 on: January 09, 2011, 09:58:19 AM »

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #3889 on: January 09, 2011, 10:09:54 AM »
Saw True Grit yesterday.  I really liked it.  Just a solid classic western.  Same pacing, stupid/funny dialogue, boring/action quotient, twists and payoffs.  good stuff.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

Prison Wallet

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
  • I'm gonna break my leg off in your ass
« Reply #3890 on: January 09, 2011, 10:21:53 AM »
I like True Grit too. The dialog, manner of speaking (lack of contractions, cadence) gave it a nice style. My only criticism was the snake scene at the end. The CGI snakes felt comic-booky like an Indiana Jones movie or something. Seemed like a distinct break in style. I would have preferred a single real snake that just coiled and struck as she pulled the corpse toward her.

Saw "Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest' last night and found it as enjoyable as the first two. Over all a pretty good series.

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• Rep: 117
  • evensteven
« Reply #3891 on: January 09, 2011, 11:46:13 AM »
Just watched bad boy bubby, All I gotta say is mindfreak. It's roughly about a man whos been lied to for three decades by his mother about how the air outside is dangerous so instead of teaching him anything she makes him stay in the house til he's 30 then at which point his drunk dad comes back and he winds up cling wrapping them, see movie for more

even the steven

VictoriousOG

« Reply #3892 on: January 09, 2011, 03:14:54 PM »
Young Frankenstein is funny as fuck.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 03:16:37 PM by VictoriousOG »

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #3893 on: January 09, 2011, 03:15:20 PM »
I can't decide on whether I liked Black Swan or not, but the copious amount of scenes of Natalie and Mila getting off was worth the cost of admission. Much more of a psychological suspense thriller than I would've thought. It started off strong and ended real well, but most of the theater laughed at a handful of scenes that I don't think were intended to be funny, myself included. That always makes me feel that a movie failed to deliver correctly. I want to say Natalie should get the Oscar, she was fully immersed in this role, but I dunno. I haven't seen too many movies in the running for the Oscars this year.

That scene where she rips her mom's portraits of her off the wall while manically screaming "SHUUUT UUUUUP!" was straight cornball. I had a really hard time taking the movie seriously after that, even though the ending was really well executed. Also I thought the CGI transformation into the "black swan" was kind of weird and unnecessary. I feel that with a psychological thriller of that type it's better if some things are left to the imagination. A subtler treatment of the distinction between the protagonist's perceived and actual reality tends to make the film more immersive and creates more dramatic tension in my eyes.

frisco

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3894 on: January 10, 2011, 03:40:47 AM »

john04o8

• Rep: -27

Locbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
  • OWWW HAVE MERCY!
« Reply #3896 on: January 10, 2011, 04:40:17 AM »

This movie is up there on my list. It never gets old.
Adam Dyet is the black jellybean of skateboarding.

strangefires

« Reply #3897 on: January 10, 2011, 05:12:58 AM »
saw true grit. i probably don't 'get it', but for me it was pretty godamn boring.

noileum

• Rep: 29
« Reply #3898 on: January 10, 2011, 05:43:44 AM »
spent the xmas holidays re-watching a load of movies I loved from back in the day.  For the most part they didn't disappoint (although the wife thought they were pretty much all shite)

VictoriousOG