Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 925294 times)

VictoriousOG

Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #5070 on: February 01, 2012, 02:57:16 PM »
I turned the corner and locked eyes with him, pants tightening and palms sweating. I walked up to him and told him, I'm taking you home tonight.

Impulse buy, but I was planning on waiting till pay day, fuck it.

crenshaw family

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -1
« Reply #5071 on: February 01, 2012, 03:16:49 PM »
I turned the corner and locked eyes with him, pants tightening and palms sweating. I walked up to him and told him, I'm taking you home tonight.

So, just watched this. What a huge disappointment.

Is it meant to just be a shittier version of Taxi Driver? The acting was sub-par on all counts, there was zero character development, and the soundtrack was pure electro trash. "real human and a real hero?" what the fuck? Who heard that song and was like, "hey, this song explicitly summarizes our character! perfect!"

There was absolutely no tension, which rendered the violence gratuitous and unsatisfying. Carey Mulligan plays a simp.

I love Ryan Gosling, but the mysterious, stoic, badass schtick is completely unbelievable without a back story. "He came out of no where"--no shit.

And Albert Brooks is supposed to be scary? Gosling could have thrown a pastrami sandwich at him and he would have died.

Hype Hype Hype. This movie is a mindless, gratuitous exercise in pastiche, that tries to trick you into thinking it means something.

The only thing worse than a mindless action movie is a mindless action movie that pretends to be deep and doesn't even have good action sequences.

frisco

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #5072 on: February 01, 2012, 05:01:33 PM »
So I take it you liked it.

Version of Taxi Driver? No. Nothing will be made close to Taxi Driver.

I agree with the two songs with lyrics, I enjoyed the Cliff Martinez OST and the opera sort of track at the end but wasn't a fan of the "Reeealllll human beeiinnnggg" right when I left the theater I was annoyed by it

With any film though, if its hyped to oblivion, its extremely hard for it to live up to it. Im sure if you walked into the theatre not watching any trailer or reading one review or listening to your drunk friend describe how awesome it was you maybe would feel differently about it, who knows maybe not.

Interesting to hear a negative review of it though, you bring up some good points for sure.

This is super gay

VictoriousOG

« Reply #5073 on: February 01, 2012, 07:35:51 PM »
Hahaha

Kristi Yamaguchi

• Rep: -17
« Reply #5074 on: February 01, 2012, 07:47:15 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Is it meant to just be a shittier version of Taxi Driver? The acting was sub-par on all counts, there was zero character development, and the soundtrack was pure electro trash. "real human and a real hero?" what the fuck? Who heard that song and was like, "hey, this song explicitly summarizes our character! perfect!"

There was absolutely no tension, which rendered the violence gratuitous and unsatisfying. Carey Mulligan plays a simp.

I love Ryan Gosling, but the mysterious, stoic, badass schtick is completely unbelievable without a back story. "He came out of no where"--no shit.

And Albert Brooks is supposed to be scary? Gosling could have thrown a pastrami sandwich at him and he would have died.

Hype Hype Hype. This movie is a mindless, gratuitous exercise in pastiche, that tries to trick you into thinking it means something.

The only thing worse than a mindless action movie is a mindless action movie that pretends to be deep and doesn't even have good action sequences.

You're a bad person and you should feel bad for this post.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #5075 on: February 01, 2012, 08:20:43 PM »
So I take it you liked it.

Version of Taxi Driver? No. Nothing will be made close to Taxi Driver.

I agree with the two songs with lyrics, I enjoyed the Cliff Martinez OST and the opera sort of track at the end but wasn't a fan of the "Reeealllll human beeiinnnggg" right when I left the theater I was annoyed by it

With any film though, if its hyped to oblivion, its extremely hard for it to live up to it. Im sure if you walked into the theatre not watching any trailer or reading one review or listening to your drunk friend describe how awesome it was you maybe would feel differently about it, who knows maybe not.

Interesting to hear a negative review of it though, you bring up some good points for sure.

Expand Quote
[close]

This is super gay

lol..."real hero" was written and recorded several years ago by a guy that only does instrumental synth music.  as far as i know that is the only song he has with vocals.  i'm guessing they used it because it fit the vibe of the film, and in my opinion it fit the scene perfectly. the other song you're talking about is by Desire, and was also released several years ago.  the main guy in Desire was supposed to do the soundtrack for drive, but it got nixed by the producers (i posted a link to his version a few pages back).  the "classical music" song is by Riz Ortolani, who also did the theme for Cannibal Holocaust.  He's kind of known for juxtaposing beautiful, serene, music with really disturbing visuals, and the director probably used it as an homage to him and 70's italian cinema in general, with which Drive shows many similarities.  

everything in this movie was done for an explicit reason.  from Gosling's stoic performance, to the melancholy, understated, analog synth soundtrack.   at the end of the day, i guess you either get it or you don't.  i'm a sucker for these kinds of films, and i think the whole thing was executed beautifully.  if you're looking for "fast and the furious" or something similar, this is not the film for you.  

but hey, i thought the Matrix sucked, so what do i know   8)

edit: i meant this more for the guy you responded to...don't take offense, trying to avoid a quote overload
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 08:22:35 PM by augustmoon »
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Rumpleforeskin

« Reply #5076 on: February 01, 2012, 08:32:07 PM »
Red Tails was pretty good, Aaron McGruder is the man

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5077 on: February 02, 2012, 01:08:24 AM »
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119263/

This movie is a challenge. I dare you to watch this all the way through. I like all of this director's films that I've seen and this one didn't disappoint. Not for everyone for sure.

sven thorkel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5078 on: February 02, 2012, 11:26:51 AM »
drive's soundtrack and titles (the birthday cake font) were straight up miami, but the movie was set in LA. wassup wid that?
"Front row tickets to a bomb ass play"

Quote from: PonyFAP
I don't know where you get your facts. The first generation of My Little Ponies were made by Hasbro, not the Khmer Rouge. And Hasbro hasn't made toys out of human skulls since the 1960's.

Tom Penny says: My 'ed systems!

VictoriousOG

« Reply #5079 on: February 02, 2012, 11:35:55 AM »
drive's soundtrack and titles (the birthday cake font) were straight up miami, but the movie was set in LA. wassup wid that?
The titles made me feel like they made GTA: Vice City into a movie.

Riverside

• Rep: -33
« Reply #5080 on: February 02, 2012, 01:06:53 PM »
my favorite torret site (btjunkie) does not show the latest movies and tv shows anymore. can you help my out and tell me about and tell me about your download site to go to?
thanks
Sooner or later the Karma always end in your fucking face

Grubby Mits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -76
  • kim you need to leave him
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5081 on: February 02, 2012, 01:47:08 PM »

does anybody know where I can stream '88?

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/this-is-england/4od#3209408

It's probably UK restricted, so if your out of the UK you can probably get round it by using proxies or something

boyan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 70
« Reply #5082 on: February 02, 2012, 02:48:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
You're a bad person and you should feel bad for this post.

He must be on the Oscar Nomination Committee

woodsman

• Rep: 65
« Reply #5083 on: February 02, 2012, 03:04:36 PM »
Drive was the best movie of 2011. The Oscars are dumb, Hugo, HUGO! But this comment had me laughing.

"And Albert Brooks is supposed to be scary? Gosling could have thrown a pastrami sandwich at him and he would have died."
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 03:39:37 PM by woodsman »

No mongz

• Rep: -6
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #5084 on: February 02, 2012, 03:52:59 PM »

Saw it last week
It's about an artist that ends up working at a supermarket and develops the power to freeze time and starts undressing girls and draws them
Sounds dumb but is pretty good and has some quirky humor
Still on netflix I think..

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #5085 on: February 02, 2012, 07:03:28 PM »
remakes are the work of the devil.  except for the first "Thing" remake that John Carpenter did.  That was the best remake of all time.  And Cronenberg's "The Fly" too.

Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 672
« Reply #5086 on: February 04, 2012, 02:06:00 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

thoroughly enjoyed this movie, but this made me lol. Definitely some truth to that. I won't lie though, thought Gosling was missing a few lug nuts or something when I first watched this. Like an autistic bad ass if you will
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

saucy ragu

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 514
« Reply #5087 on: February 04, 2012, 08:31:11 AM »
The Go-Getter Dream Sequence

The Art Of Getting By Movie Trailer Official (HD)

Don't mind the trailer song in the second one. I've been in a rut and corny romantic movies are the order of the last few days.
Quote from: brent
sorrymom, when 112 sing to you what kinda feelin do it bring to you?

BuddyPal

« Reply #5088 on: February 04, 2012, 09:42:41 AM »
watched good will hunting in my psychology class

duffmanshredder

• Rep: 16
« Reply #5089 on: February 04, 2012, 09:28:43 PM »
Tied with Drive for my favorite movie of 2011.
it's not fantasizing if it really happened.  your gay as fuck for even thinkin about them havin sex u fagit

myrrh

• Rep: 2
« Reply #5090 on: February 05, 2012, 06:11:10 AM »
Expand Quote
remakes are the work of the devil.  except for the first "Thing" remake that John Carpenter did.  That was the best remake of all time.  And Cronenberg's "The Fly" too.

[close]

Yes, and yes.

I gotta say, the remakes of Let The Right One In and The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo weren't bad, though completely unnecessary.

I always wonder why americans cant read subtitles like the rest of us.

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #5091 on: February 05, 2012, 10:58:14 AM »
It's also weird that we don't dub foreign movies like every other country does with our films.
All I do is read subtitles recently. But, I'm in France/learning French. I even watched Gladiator dubbed in french on tv the other day. These are good.

I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

VictoriousOG

« Reply #5092 on: February 05, 2012, 11:11:46 AM »
I can't see what movies you posted since I'm on my phone but La Haine and A Prophet are great French flicks.

ginzberg

« Reply #5093 on: February 05, 2012, 12:00:29 PM »
Re: Drive

I loved it. I didn't take it too seriously. It just oozed style, and I ate it up every scene. I thought the opening scene was so fucking badass, I was hooked no matter what happened. I still think Bronson is better, but Drive is probably more accessible for a lot of people. The world felt Tarantino-esque, without being a ripoff like the endless list that followed Pulp Fiction.

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #5094 on: February 05, 2012, 03:41:32 PM »
Drive is definitely a "style over substance" film, but if that's what you're looking for it is very good at what it does. Lots of movies are great aesthetically without being particularly deep or well thought out in a thematic sense; film is a visual art so if its visually rich enough and the overall mood is appealing and well maintained, you can make something successful without having to rely too much on the typical dramatic structures that drive most plots. I will say that it makes sense that it did so well in the U.S.A considering that people there have basically been weened on "style over substance" by hollywood for decades.

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #5095 on: February 05, 2012, 03:44:48 PM »
never ever watch something dubbed if you can watch the subtitled one. original sound/music makes a movie 100 times better. i do watch a lot of subtitled stuff but its not like its perfect, if theres tons of dialogue you definately miss out on some of the visuals.
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #5096 on: February 05, 2012, 03:59:48 PM »
After having it in my dvd collection for about 6 years still in the wrapping I just watched "La Haine". French gnar film about small time hooligans. Way better than i thought, should have watched it ages ago

Global Moderator

« Reply #5097 on: February 05, 2012, 08:32:55 PM »
Here's hoping that Moneyball saves me from the bad taste the stupid Thing remake left in my mouth.  

Moneyball was tight and you're mistaken of you think The Thing(2011) is a remake. It is a prequel and the last scene of the movie leads into the first scene of the Kurt Russell one, which makes it obvious that it is a prequel.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 11:05:13 PM by Global Moderator »

David

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5098 on: February 06, 2012, 12:06:09 AM »

crenshaw family

• Rep: -1
« Reply #5099 on: February 06, 2012, 06:16:11 PM »
can anyone help me out? I need to see 'le corbeau' (1943) by tomorrow morning for a film class. I assumed it would be on Hulu plus considering they profess to have "the complete criterion collection," but alas those bastards have ruined my night. I suck at the internet, so I'd be much obliged if someone found a working link that doesn't require me downloading anything additional. I don't have the patience for torrents.