Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 925114 times)

Locbrew

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
  • OWWW HAVE MERCY!
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #5130 on: February 14, 2012, 03:00:16 PM »

Big fan of Jack Lemmon/Walter Matthau movies.
Adam Dyet is the black jellybean of skateboarding.

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5131 on: February 14, 2012, 03:21:08 PM »
Pretty stoked for a Canadian movie that doesn't look like total shit (Hobo with a Shotgun notwithstanding)

Beyond The Black Rainbow Official Trailer #1 (2012) HD

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #5132 on: February 14, 2012, 04:34:50 PM »
saw the trailer for that yesterday and thought it looked pretty awesome.  i looked up info on it and it said that it came out in 2010 (maybe just at festivals?)  a lot of the reviews were pretty brutal, but I still think it looks pretty awesome.  also, with a carpener-esque analog synth score by one of the guys from Black Mountain and I'm eating this shit up with a spoon
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

kilgore.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5133 on: February 14, 2012, 08:39:39 PM »
Pretty stoked for a Canadian movie that doesn't look like total shit (Hobo with a Shotgun notwithstanding)

Beyond The Black Rainbow Official Trailer #1 (2012) HD

reminds me of THX 1138
No holds barred, til labias say "free us"
then its straight to your kids' school, wine coolers in the Prius

bosnianslut

• Rep: 25
« Reply #5134 on: February 15, 2012, 04:36:07 AM »
i really like these Alaiis Mathez French cocoa dusted truffles

macgruber

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
  • Just Tell Me What You Want Me To FUUUUUUCK
« Reply #5135 on: February 15, 2012, 11:15:26 AM »
I just saw Drive for the first time. It was pretty good. Watching christina hendricks get her head liquified was interesting.

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #5136 on: February 15, 2012, 11:21:20 AM »
Nailed it with my Valentine's Day selection, thankfully. As much as I loved Rango, this better take the animated Oscar.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #5137 on: February 18, 2012, 07:20:27 AM »

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #5138 on: February 18, 2012, 01:31:43 PM »

boyan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 70
« Reply #5139 on: February 18, 2012, 04:25:35 PM »
Saw it, really liked it, the first of the new DC animated stuff, hadn't seen anything since Mask of the Phantasm

Siskel & Ebert Review Batman Mask of The Phantasm

Found it and watched it, I really liked it too. Totally into the animated Batman again, brings me back to my childhood

popeyesfriedchicken

• Rep: -250
« Reply #5140 on: February 19, 2012, 05:53:12 AM »
I don't know if it's just me but lately newer movies have just been awful.  The only decent movies are ones that are older that I have not seen.  I have not seen one in a long time that I thought was just incredible.  It was a weird movie but Nuts with Barbara Streisand was good only because it was different than the norm and I was in a similar situation last year:

I know most things to do with her are God awful but this was actually a very powerful movie.

Kristi Yamaguchi

• Rep: -17
« Reply #5141 on: February 19, 2012, 06:18:24 AM »
I don't know if it's just me but lately newer movies have just been awful. 
Yes, this is just you. Of course there are shitty movies but those have always been around. If you would just expand your horizons a bit you would see tons of great movies. I have a pretty selective taste and I thought 2011 was a fantastic year for movies. You're smoking crack if you think there aren't that many good movies anymore.

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -21
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #5142 on: February 19, 2012, 09:53:09 AM »
saw chinatown for the first time, good watch.

right now I'm watching "Człowiek z żelaza/man of iron" in the polish version. it's a movie from the 80's and about a journalist who tries to spy on a member of solidarnosc. the movie is shot in my hometown gdansk and the main character has the same last name as I have, which pretty wierd, because it's a german last name that only my family had in communist poland.

frisco

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #5143 on: February 19, 2012, 03:06:56 PM »
Kramer VS Kramer

Great film, heartbreaking at times. My parents went through a similar split but my sister and I lived with our Mom. Made me really reflect on how hard it must have been for our Dad only seeing us once a week for dinner and every other weekend. I loved the movie

Bloodsport

Finally the avatar is explained. This is the first JCVD movie I've seen. What are his best movies? This movie wasnt without its 80s cheese but Van Dam is a badass

Brick

Second time seeing it. Made it easier to pick up on the fast paced dialogue knowing what the fuck was going on. Absolutely love the editing style of this one. Every shot and camera movie feels meticulously planned out, one of my favourites.

Lincoln Lawyer

After seeing trailers for it, did not give it a chance. It looked really shitty. Way better than I though it would be, still not great but solid. Really good cast, nice surprise to see Cranston in it, I thought William H Macy was good for the small amount of screen time he had. Outside of Dazed and Confused I think this is one of McConaugheys better ones

50/50

Another Joseph Gordon Levitt film. This guy continues to get better with every film hes in. Played this one perfect, not too overdramatic. Made some of the scenes leading towards the surgery tough to watch because he was so nonchalant about the situation.

And shes just a plus, shes really sexy

thepman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -94
« Reply #5144 on: February 19, 2012, 03:17:58 PM »
skating is all about choosing your outfit very deliberately, going out in public. looking super sick. and then riding your board a little bit

VictoriousOG

« Reply #5145 on: February 19, 2012, 07:20:23 PM »
I watched Stripes the other day and laughed my ass off. Bill Murray needs to do more movies.

HALP

I need to pick a monologue to do for a theatre class. If y'all have any in mind, please let me know.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 06:05:19 AM by Trendy Bastard »

frisco

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5146 on: February 20, 2012, 04:43:04 PM »
I watched Stripes the other day and laughed my ass off. Bill Murray needs to do more movies.

HALP

I need to pick a monologue to do for a theatre class. If y'all have any in mind, please let me know.

Hello, little man. Boy, I sure heard a bunch about you. See, I was a good friend of your dad's. We were in that Hanoi pit of hell together over five years. Hopefully, you'll never have to experience this yourself, but when two men are in a situation like me and your dad were for as long as we were, you take on certain responsibilities of the other. If it'd been me who'd - not made it, Major Coolidge'd be talking right now to my son Jim. But the way it turned out, I'm talking to you. Butch. I got somethin' for ya. This watch I got here was first purchased by your great-grandfather during the first World War. It was bought in a little general store in Knoxville, Tennessee,. Made by the first company to ever make wrist watches. Up 'til then, people just carried pocket watches. It was bought by Private Doughboy Erine Coolidge on the day he set sail for Paris. This was your great-grandfather's war watch and he wore it everyday he was in that war, and when he'd done his duty, he went home to your great-grandmother, took the watch off, put it in an old coffee can, and in that can it stayed until your granddad, Dane Coolidge, was called upon by his country to go overseas and fight the Germans once again. This time they called it World War II.

Your great-grandfather gave this watch to your granddad for good luck. Unfortunately, Dane's luck wasn't as good as his old man's. Dane was a Marine and he was killed -- along with all the other Marines at the battle of Wake Island. Your granddad was facing death. He knew it. None of those boys had any illusions about ever leavin' that island alive, so three days before the Japanese took the island, your granddad asked a gunner on an Air Force transport, name of Winocki - a man he had never met before in his life - to deliver to his infant son who he'd never seen in the flesh, his gold watch. Three days later, your granddad was dead, but Winocki kept his word. After the war was over, he paid a visit to your grandmother, delivering to your infant father his dad's gold watch. This watch. (He held the watch up - and paused) This watch was on your daddy's wrist when he was shot down over Hanoi. He was captured, put in a Vietnamese prison camp. He knew that if the gooks ever saw the watch, it'd be confiscated and taken away. The way your Dad looked at it, this watch was your birthright. He'd be damned if any slope's gonna put their greasy, yellow hands on his boy's birthright, so he hid it in one place he knew he could hide something - his ass. Five long years he wore this watch up his ass. Then, he died of dysentery. He give me the watch. I hid this uncomfortable hunk of metal up my ass two years. Then, after seven years, I was sent home to my family. Now, little man, I give the watch to you.

Ding!

VictoriousOG

« Reply #5147 on: February 20, 2012, 05:45:03 PM »
Yeah I thought about the watch monologue but I think it would exceed our time limit. I was thinking of Morgan Freemans "rehabilitated"(?) monologue in Shawshank.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #5148 on: February 20, 2012, 05:50:28 PM »

HALP

Settle down Francis.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

VictoriousOG

« Reply #5149 on: February 20, 2012, 06:04:30 PM »
Aaaye good idea.

pappalardospizza

• Rep: -2
« Reply #5150 on: February 20, 2012, 07:13:07 PM »

frisco

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5151 on: February 21, 2012, 03:51:20 PM »
Im downloading 20 Gigs of DragonBall right now. When it was on TV when I was a kid I would watch it but I was always bad with sticking to a schedule and missed tons of episodes. Im not even sure how many universes, series, characters there are or any of that. Ive just heard it goes bat shit crazy.

escapistfool

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #5152 on: February 25, 2012, 09:54:01 PM »
Im downloading 20 Gigs of DragonBall right now. When it was on TV when I was a kid I would watch it but I was always bad with sticking to a schedule and missed tons of episodes. Im not even sure how many universes, series, characters there are or any of that. Ive just heard it goes bat shit crazy.

Enjoy. I feel like doin' the same right about now!

NCSB

• Rep: 15
« Reply #5153 on: February 25, 2012, 10:24:00 PM »

from a hockey players perspective this movie is a little bit over the top, but its very well done. a lot of big names too, sean william scott, jay baruchel who is absolutely hilarious, liev schreiber, and the drummer girl from scott pilgrim. good movie

frisco

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5154 on: February 25, 2012, 10:26:48 PM »

from a hockey players perspective this movie is a little bit over the top, but its very well done. a lot of big names too, sean william scott, jay baruchel who is absolutely hilarious, liev schreiber, and the drummer girl from scott pilgrim. good movie

Liev Schreiber did all the voiceovers for HBO's 24/7. Most epic narrator voice next to Morgan Freeman

I watched Inglourious Basterds again last night. That one and 'No Country For Old Men' are pretty close to perfect movies for me

bust.factor

• Rep: 20
  • Madvillain Bistro Bed and Breakfast Bar and Grill
« Reply #5155 on: February 26, 2012, 12:19:00 AM »
fitzcarraldo was pretty rad

oh, and dog day afternoon

frisco

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5156 on: February 26, 2012, 04:23:46 AM »
Gotta say, I've never watched anything as unsettling as Twin Peaks. It is amazing but I'm shitting my pants, the first 3 episodes of the 2nd season are insane

Easily the scariest show I've seen

boyan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 70
« Reply #5157 on: February 26, 2012, 04:46:12 AM »

There is
- Dragon Ball: 153 episodes, which is the more funny series because a young Goku is the main focus
- Dragon Ball Z: either 291 or 279 episodes depending if the series also intregrated the specials or not
- and Dragon Ball GT (created with the consent of Akira Toriyama, but not by him and thus horribly failing): 64 episodes

And there are also a bunch of specials and movies, most of them take place at some point in the series (or are a part of the series), and sometimes the facts are a little bit changed. For example in the series some characters are dead at one point and they appear in the movies, so they are like a seperate story.

But the specials are part of the series' story and they are real nice, like "Bardock, Father of Goku" or "The History of Trunks", but I suggest you watch these at either a specific time in the series or after the related saga, so it doesn't get confusing.

I also found a real dragon ball gem on a yard sale about ten years ago; the 3 original movies from 1986

and I also found this recently online: Dragon Ball Episode Of Bardock - FULL VERSION - HD [ENGLISH SUBTITLED]
It's a special from 2011 continuing the special 'Bardock, Father of Goku' and I was fucking stoked!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 04:51:21 AM by boyan »

mcpeepants

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
« Reply #5158 on: February 26, 2012, 09:37:20 AM »
www.dbzremastered.com has pretty much everything associated with all of those series, including movies :D
you some closet dick-in-da-booty ass nigga.

Grubby Mits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -76
  • kim you need to leave him
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5159 on: February 27, 2012, 01:57:51 PM »

You have to be kidding, I saw that movie high as fuck in the cinema and it wasn't even funny then. So predictable. Worst ?5 i've spent in a while.

Watched this two nights in a row because I was too hungover to understand it the first time. Great story, voiceovers and animation.