Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 925945 times)

brycickle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #5190 on: March 04, 2012, 11:03:20 AM »

I saw Blue Valentine and wasn't as amazed with Michelle Williams as everyone else seemed to be. She was good in this though.

Heath Ledger was into her. So to speak.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

lem

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 171
« Reply #5191 on: March 04, 2012, 01:00:49 PM »

Hugo

First movie in over 12 years from Scorsese that doesn't feature Leo DiCaprio. Something different from him for sure, couldn't compare it to any of his films. I can see how it won the Oscar for cinematography, amazing lighting throughout. So good that it almost looked computer generated, normally I hate anything CGI or that look of hyper realism, which is why I've been avoiding Tin-Tin, although it does look legit

Thank you for reminding me of this film. Couldn't find a good torrent of it earlier this month but I guess DVDs hit the shelves mid-February and a whole swarm popped up this time. And I'm with you on the CGI/hyper realism, but Tin Tin was really good. There were a couple moments where I thought, "Oh that's a cool camera move" and then quickly hate myself inside. I did go into it not expecting much which might've led to my joy from the film.

boyan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 70
« Reply #5192 on: March 04, 2012, 02:36:31 PM »
Expand Quote

Hugo

First movie in over 12 years from Scorsese that doesn't feature Leo DiCaprio. Something different from him for sure, couldn't compare it to any of his films. I can see how it won the Oscar for cinematography, amazing lighting throughout. So good that it almost looked computer generated, normally I hate anything CGI or that look of hyper realism, which is why I've been avoiding Tin-Tin, although it does look legit
[close]

Thank you for reminding me of this film. Couldn't find a good torrent of it earlier this month but I guess DVDs hit the shelves mid-February and a whole swarm popped up this time. And I'm with you on the CGI/hyper realism, but Tin Tin was really good. There were a couple moments where I thought, "Oh that's a cool camera move" and then quickly hate myself inside. I did go into it not expecting much which might've led to my joy from the film.

I have seen both Hugo and Tintin this month, and I must say they were both on top of my list. I was quite amazed when I found out Scorsese directed this one. It was very unlike his other movies, but very touching and fitting for all ages. I also thought the same way as you guys about Tintin, mostly because I grew up with the comic books and the animated series, but I coulnd't help myself from watching. I absolutely loved it, amazing portrayals of all the characters, both in likness as in manners. Andy Serkis is such a boss! It also has one of the best CGI detail I have seen so far.

codithou

• Rep: 41
« Reply #5193 on: March 05, 2012, 01:14:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm looking for more film noir with similarities to this because i loved it. Jack Nicholoson at his best.
[close]

If you're lookin for Film Noir type of movies, might as well start with the one that started it. Citizen Kane. UNLESS you've seen it already.
[close]
Hahaha Citizen Kane definitely didn't start Film Noir, it's not even a Noir.. I would say that it influenced some of the early Noir Films though.  And to codithou, The Asphalt Jungle, Touch of Evil, Where the Sidewalk Ends, The Maltese Falcon, and Stanley Kubrick's The Killing are a good place to start.
Thanks I'll look into those! I love every Kubrick film I've seen so I'll start with The Killing. And unfortunately I haven't seen Citizen Kane yet but I plan on watching it soon.

frisco

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #5194 on: March 05, 2012, 02:11:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm looking for more film noir with similarities to this because i loved it. Jack Nicholoson at his best.
[close]

If you're lookin for Film Noir type of movies, might as well start with the one that started it. Citizen Kane. UNLESS you've seen it already.
[close]
Hahaha Citizen Kane definitely didn't start Film Noir, it's not even a Noir.. I would say that it influenced some of the early Noir Films though.  And to codithou, The Asphalt Jungle, Touch of Evil, Where the Sidewalk Ends, The Maltese Falcon, and Stanley Kubrick's The Killing are a good place to start.
[close]
Thanks I'll look into those! I love every Kubrick film I've seen so I'll start with The Killing. And unfortunately I haven't seen Citizen Kane yet but I plan on watching it soon.

Its long, and slow. It gets lots of praise for the immensity of its sets and use of depth within frames. Just to see early innovative filmmaking is very cool but dont go in expecting a mind blowing movie.

I watched Goon and Bridesmaids yesterday

Dare I say, I laughed more in Bridesmaids than in Goon. Both were funny, the dumbness of Sean William Scotts character put me off a but, Liev Schrieber is the fucking man

Bridesmaids - Best Friends Forever

landCow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
« Reply #5195 on: March 05, 2012, 02:29:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]

Its long, and slow. It gets lots of praise for the immensity of its sets and use of depth within frames. Just to see early innovative filmmaking is very cool but dont go in expecting a mind blowing movie.

agreed. The reasons it gets a lot of praise are the reasons its just another movie today. Back then the film innovated all these camera and story telling techniques which pushed film making in a way that hadn't been done before. But now its innovations are so common place in literally every tv show and film that it will probably seem very lacklusture if you discover the film today.

codithou

• Rep: 41
« Reply #5196 on: March 05, 2012, 11:21:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

agreed. The reasons it gets a lot of praise are the reasons its just another movie today. Back then the film innovated all these camera and story telling techniques which pushed film making in a way that hadn't been done before. But now its innovations are so common place in literally every tv show and film that it will probably seem very lacklusture if you discover the film today.
Thanks! I think I'm pretty good at appreciating a film for it's time frame. Things like that are what have been driving me search for older films lately.

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #5197 on: March 05, 2012, 11:57:38 PM »
Citizen Kane is still a great film, because great storytelling is great storytelling. If you have a hard time appreciating old movies because of the antiquated speech patterns and slow pacing however, you probably won't be that impressed by it. It's definitely worth seeing for anyone who's interested in movies though.

Harem

« Reply #5198 on: March 06, 2012, 06:31:21 AM »
The Devil Inside - One word to describe this film, FILTH.

The Grey - The ending. REALLY?

MurrayHewitt

• Rep: 13
« Reply #5199 on: March 06, 2012, 06:44:31 AM »

Kristi Yamaguchi

• Rep: -17
« Reply #5200 on: March 06, 2012, 03:28:01 PM »
Citizen Kane is still a great film, because great storytelling is great storytelling. If you have a hard time appreciating old movies because of the antiquated speech patterns and slow pacing however, you probably won't be that impressed by it. It's definitely worth seeing for anyone who's interested in movies though.
I agree but I will say that it's completely overrated. The Trial and Touch of Evil are way better films by Orson Welles. I never understood why The Trial didn't get that much love.

Locbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
  • OWWW HAVE MERCY!
« Reply #5201 on: March 06, 2012, 04:46:05 PM »
Classic:

Adam Dyet is the black jellybean of skateboarding.

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #5202 on: March 07, 2012, 08:39:03 PM »

pretty bleak movie.  i liked it.  had it's flaws but nice to see a film that on the surface seems like an action adventure movie take on some hard hitting metaphysical questions on a non pussyish way

i liked Joe Carnahan's NARC.  glad to see him getting more work
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

VictoriousOG

« Reply #5203 on: March 08, 2012, 11:18:03 AM »

Never seen a film with a young Jon Voight.

frisco

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5204 on: March 08, 2012, 11:46:46 AM »

Never seen a film with a young Jon Voight.

Then you are missing out

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -21
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #5205 on: March 11, 2012, 11:15:03 AM »
so good!

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #5206 on: March 11, 2012, 11:32:14 AM »
I was in NYC for the last week and saw a couple great films at Film Forum.

Long but so damn good. Especially in the theater with the new remastered print though.

I urge everyone to see this in the theater. Completely engrossing from start to finish.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

boyan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 70
« Reply #5207 on: March 11, 2012, 02:43:44 PM »
Considering how crappy the prequels were compared to the original trilogy, I'm curious how this project turned out

http://www.slashfilm.com/topher-grace-edited-star-wars-prequels-85minute-movie/

no fun

• Rep: 32
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5208 on: March 11, 2012, 09:53:04 PM »

Rewatched it for a paper I wrote on it for a film analysis class. I love this movie so much.
Put on a helmet and some pads and start doing some real shit.

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -21
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #5209 on: March 11, 2012, 11:27:43 PM »
^I wish I had a wider screen and a bag of weed to watch this one!

frisco

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5210 on: March 12, 2012, 09:58:14 AM »
Take Shelter

Amazing. Pretty much the only word I can use to describe it. Left me very uneasy and as a thriller, was really effective.

Michael Shannon is the fucking man

TAKE SHELTER - Trailer

Highly recommend. I'll be watching this again soon

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 126
« Reply #5211 on: March 13, 2012, 05:44:31 AM »
Just saw the Artist. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

saucy ragu

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 514
« Reply #5212 on: March 13, 2012, 06:45:27 AM »
All the Real Girls trailer

Recommended for the broken-hearted.
Quote from: brent
sorrymom, when 112 sing to you what kinda feelin do it bring to you?

R. D. Pullman

• Rep: -2
  • it'lldo
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 06:53:58 AM by R. D. Pullman »

cold budweisers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
« Reply #5214 on: March 13, 2012, 12:34:26 PM »
Take Shelter

Amazing. Pretty much the only word I can use to describe it. Left me very uneasy and as a thriller, was really effective.

Michael Shannon is the fucking man

TAKE SHELTER - Trailer

Highly recommend. I'll be watching this again soon
this movie is stupid as fuck and i have no idea how you liked it so much

Mein Fuhrer! I can walk!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -152
« Reply #5215 on: March 13, 2012, 12:51:36 PM »

I don't know man, Zoey already broke my heart pretty hard in 500 days. I don't think I can put myself out there like that again.

Unbridled Technical Precision

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -329
  • C.H.Z.
« Reply #5216 on: March 13, 2012, 01:30:04 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I don't know man, Zoey already broke my heart pretty hard in 500 days. I don't think I can put myself out there like that again.

tear  :'(

frank

• Rep: 2
« Reply #5217 on: March 13, 2012, 10:48:28 PM »

not usually into anime, but this movie is beautiful. aaccording to youtube's comments, it uses over 327 different colors, 50 of which were made exclusively for the movie  :o oh, and it's all on youtube

frisco

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5218 on: March 15, 2012, 02:20:10 PM »
MARTHA MARCY MAY MARLENE: Official HD Trailer

Really good. Budget was under a million which is ridiculous considering how good it looked. Manson-family feeling throughout with a bit less violence.

VictoriousOG

« Reply #5219 on: March 16, 2012, 10:08:20 PM »