Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 925399 times)

Rusty Shackleford

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
  • you know about goretex?
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #5340 on: April 22, 2012, 08:02:59 PM »

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5341 on: April 23, 2012, 01:03:55 AM »
Please don't forget Ghostdog: Way of the Samurai.

Just watched this last weekend. Wouldn't have held together without the RZA tracks but it was cool. I am also learning french so the haitian guy scenes were pretty funny.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

Skate Troll

• Rep: -560
  • slap's resident psychopath
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 12:37:05 PM by Skate Troll »
look I never said it was ok but chill man tis all cool just havin some fun.

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #5343 on: April 23, 2012, 12:51:00 PM »
Please don't forget Ghostdog: Way of the Samurai.

word.  one of his more underrated films
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

dolphinstyle.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #5344 on: April 24, 2012, 05:46:52 AM »
Although I'm neither a fan of the Horror nor Science-Fiction genre (let alone that this film is far from original), I love this film:
Look, I'm an individual within us, partaking in this business

thepman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -94
« Reply #5345 on: April 24, 2012, 07:08:25 AM »
Just watched We Need to Talk About Kevin. Thought it was absolutely brilliant, one of the best films i've seen in a while. Cinematography was great as was the soundtrack which kept me pretty unsettled throughout the whole film. Really gets you thinking about the whole nature vs nurture concept.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 07:09:57 AM by thepman »
skating is all about choosing your outfit very deliberately, going out in public. looking super sick. and then riding your board a little bit

VictoriousOG

« Reply #5346 on: April 24, 2012, 08:23:47 AM »
Carnage Trailer
Really great dialogue and tension.

Preck.

• Rep: -20
« Reply #5347 on: April 24, 2012, 09:26:04 AM »
Carts of Darkness

Being skaters here i think we can all appreciate this but it is one of the best documentaries I've ever seen.

this looks so sick! can I watch it online anywhere?

edit: http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/carts-of-darkness/
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 09:31:59 AM by Preck. »

boyan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 70
« Reply #5348 on: April 24, 2012, 10:56:32 AM »
Has anyone seen Haywire? From what I've heard it kinda sucks despite the proper cast

frisco

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #5349 on: April 24, 2012, 11:28:34 AM »
Just watched We Need to Talk About Kevin. Thought it was absolutely brilliant, one of the best films i've seen in a while. Cinematography was great as was the soundtrack which kept me pretty unsettled throughout the whole film. Really gets you thinking about the whole nature vs nurture concept.

Sounds legit. Gonna watch it this week

Has anyone seen Haywire? From what I've heard it kinda sucks despite the proper cast

Haywire is weird. Soderberg is a strange director, sort of stuck in some 80's nostalgia acid trip. Pastel colour tones, weird 80's funk music for chase scenes. Its different, its not bad but at the same time it sort of sucks.

The cast is decent which is why its sort of a let down. The lead actress is a UFC fighter and it shows. Her dialogue scenes with Channing Tatum, an equally shitty actor are cringe worthy at times.

Its worth checking out though sort of like a really shitty Bourne movie mixed with Oceans 13

The fight scenes are legit though no denying that

Bitter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 162
« Reply #5350 on: April 25, 2012, 08:51:05 AM »

Really well constructed South Korean movie about a former secret agent out for vengeance. Fans of Oldboy or I Saw The Devil would like it. Reminded me of The Professional too. Starts a bit slow, but the fight scenes at the end are gnarly.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #5351 on: April 25, 2012, 09:46:05 AM »

David

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5352 on: April 25, 2012, 12:59:47 PM »
Although I'm neither a fan of the Horror nor Science-Fiction genre (let alone that this film is far from original), I love this film:

This is definitely one of my favorite movies.

Expand Quote
Carts of Darkness

Being skaters here i think we can all appreciate this but it is one of the best documentaries I've ever seen.
[close]

this looks so sick! can I watch it online anywhere?

edit: http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/carts-of-darkness/

Good stuff!

Watched this a few weeks ago...

« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 01:04:08 PM by David »

Rumpleforeskin

« Reply #5353 on: April 25, 2012, 01:08:56 PM »

Watched this a few weeks ago...

OH. MY. GOD.  YES.

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5354 on: April 25, 2012, 01:14:33 PM »
did that rumored second part ever come out?

please tell me that i just missed it somehow. please.

VictoriousOG

« Reply #5355 on: April 25, 2012, 04:28:54 PM »

Keira Knightley deserves a Best Actress Award with this role, it honestly scared me.

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #5356 on: April 26, 2012, 06:13:29 AM »

Prett damn good , but the movie kinda assumes everybody is a racist deep down. Many of the issues in the movie could
have easy been resolved . Still a cool movie for alot of diffrent reasons

Pretty good , lots of dialog and good acting

While not being a movie , its a series with episodes around 1 hour and about 12 season or something . Poirot fucking rocks , and I really like this time period . Good acting and its fun to watch . More ppl should check it out

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #5357 on: April 26, 2012, 08:35:08 AM »
I thought Crash was such a blatant rip-off of Traffic.  Traffic was actually good though.

boyan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 70
« Reply #5358 on: April 27, 2012, 03:31:12 PM »
I'm not a huge fan of this kind of storytelling, with the characters actually filming the story, but this one I really liked

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #5359 on: April 28, 2012, 05:51:27 PM »

Really liked this. Makes me consider taking another kitchen job.

While a pretty cool documentry  . That man is pretty disgusting to watch work in a kitchen , low standards of hygiene . Dude works really dirty in the kitchen and the kitchen is dirty too . His personal hygiene is pretty shit too

still a good watch

GatorsGhost

• Rep: 116
    • Chilogy avatar image
« Reply #5360 on: April 28, 2012, 10:22:04 PM »

I worked for the TV show based on the movie for a while.  Both were manipulative and no bueno, in my opinion.

Tilda Swinton should have at least been considered by the dipshit academy.  I honestly found the ending a little cheesy though.

Keira Knightley deserves a Best Actress Award with this role, it honestly scared me.
She ruined the whole thing for me.  Full person.  Love Cronenberg, though.

Really well constructed South Korean movie about a former secret agent out for vengeance. Fans of Oldboy or I Saw The Devil would like it. Reminded me of The Professional too. Starts a bit slow, but the fight scenes at the end are gnarly.

I love Oldboy and thought I Saw The Devil was pretty decent, but I'm still having trouble with this movie.  It's alright, but it just seems like a near-parody of what Korean cinema is now (revenge thriller).  I need to give it a second try sometime.

Recently I've watched

Which I thought would be boring but was actually fucking awesome.  Barry Lyndon doesn't give a shit.  He's like a Spicoli of yesteryear.

Pretty meh.   Some solid wish-fulfillment, but every time they spoke I wanted to punch them.

The last shot is amazing.  The rest of the film is great too, but the last shot sums up everything about the Coens continous theme in an appropriate way:  unplanned, nihilistic chaos at work.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 10:24:05 PM by GatorsGhost »

frisco

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #5361 on: April 28, 2012, 11:25:20 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I worked for the TV show based on the movie for a while.  Both were manipulative and no bueno, in my opinion.

Expand Quote
[close]

Tilda Swinton should have at least been considered by the dipshit academy.  I honestly found the ending a little cheesy though.

Expand Quote
[close]
She ruined the whole thing for me.  Full person.  Love Cronenberg, though.

Expand Quote
[close]

I love Oldboy and thought I Saw The Devil was pretty decent, but I'm still having trouble with this movie.  It's alright, but it just seems like a near-parody of what Korean cinema is now (revenge thriller).  I need to give it a second try sometime.

Recently I've watched

Which I thought would be boring but was actually fucking awesome.  Barry Lyndon doesn't give a shit.  He's like a Spicoli of yesteryear.

Pretty meh.   Some solid wish-fulfillment, but every time they spoke I wanted to punch them.

The last shot is amazing.  The rest of the film is great too, but the last shot sums up everything about the Coens continous theme in an appropriate way:  unplanned, nihilistic chaos at work.
I fixed your links

great post, Barry Lyndon is very under appreciated. I felt the same way before watching, thought it would be slow, boring. It is dope, his character goes through such a massive transformation.

God I love this movie

the white shoe in the Party

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #5362 on: April 29, 2012, 06:18:04 AM »
Peter sellers was amazing , shame he died so early

thepman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -94
« Reply #5363 on: April 29, 2012, 06:59:18 AM »
Don't know why but it's come out earlier here in the UK, watched it on saturday, seriously a really great watch, thought it was brilliant! Some scenes are slightly dragged out but that was my only criticism, it was action packed and surprisingly hilarious, Loki really steals the show, Tom Hiddlestone is a fantastic villain.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 08:49:13 AM by thepman »
skating is all about choosing your outfit very deliberately, going out in public. looking super sick. and then riding your board a little bit

VictoriousOG

« Reply #5364 on: April 29, 2012, 05:08:38 PM »

After watching seasons 1-6 of HIMYM I got motivated to watch this again, good watch everytime.

After watching I Love You Man, I got motivated to watch this, awesome cast and really funny.

And finally, got to see this. Knew nothing about the film/book, except that she was a computer hacker and the rape scene. I HATE watching rape scenes, and everyone hyped it up saying it was really graphic, but it wasn't as graphic as I anticipated it to be. Rape scenes get under my skin though, hate em. Great film though! Loved the colors and the length was great, love watching long movies.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #5365 on: April 29, 2012, 05:42:05 PM »
Having seen irreversible, I'd be hard pressed to be jarred by any rape scene ever again.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Sgt.Pepper

• Rep: -167
« Reply #5366 on: April 30, 2012, 07:45:23 PM »
Watched I Am Sam. Boy is it a tearjeaker. I felt so sad when they took his daugther and he kept asking "Why isn't lucy coming home with me?"
"I'd be a teenage virgin, jerking off in my bedroom
 if I wasnt a 20 year old virgin that didn't have a bedroom."

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #5367 on: April 30, 2012, 09:03:54 PM »

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

dankradschwag

« Reply #5368 on: May 01, 2012, 09:48:05 AM »
watched the road and expected a lot more to be honest. got tinker tailor soldier spy for five bucks at hastings, that fucking movie is tight tho.

VictoriousOG

« Reply #5369 on: May 01, 2012, 10:02:27 AM »

I always forget how much I enjoy this movie.