Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 926249 times)

thepman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -94
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #6090 on: April 09, 2013, 09:54:23 PM »
Gotta say, I think Gangs of New York will stand the test of time and be one of Scorseses most revered films in the coming decades.  It is such a massive film, the acting is on point, the editing seamless and Daniel Day Lewis gave one of the best performances in any film ever (up to par with his There Will Be BLood performance)

Totally agree with you about Day-Lewis, flawless performance.
I think Gangs of New York is great, but it's too big. It's sprawling, messy and flawed, but still a brilliant watch.
skating is all about choosing your outfit very deliberately, going out in public. looking super sick. and then riding your board a little bit

esoesloco

• Rep: -5
« Reply #6091 on: April 09, 2013, 10:53:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Gotta say, I think Gangs of New York will stand the test of time and be one of Scorseses most revered films in the coming decades.  It is such a massive film, the acting is on point, the editing seamless and Daniel Day Lewis gave one of the best performances in any film ever (up to par with his There Will Be BLood performance)

[close]

I think Gangs of New York is great, but it's too big. It's sprawling, messy and flawed, but still a brilliant watch.

Yea Im with you on that, the film did not live up to the full vision behind it - there some disapointing scenes that soured it (like the final battle and ending) but they definitely tried damn hard and created such a engrossing world with fairly well developed characters.  It is a film that I always go back to every few years and it has aged really well. Day-Lewis' depth (and his awesome monologue in the whorehouse) and the perfect execution of certain scenes, namely the introduction of the Butcher before the opening battle .  I think one of Scorseses greatest scenes is the big reveal at the Chinese Pagoda.

Gangs and The Departed are the last really great films that Scorsese has put out...I really hope he gets another few classics in before he bows out but Departed is the last one I really enjoyed.

Whatd you think of "The Social Network"?   Ive only seen it once but I was surprised at how much I dug it, thought it was an amazing look at sociopathy and my lost generation.  Really demonstrated how power cycles into new generations and how the system creates and directs the current trends through blindsided frontmen like Zuckerberg and Weasels like Sean Parker.   The music and vibe was awesome it had this great thriller genre feel. 

Bitter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 162
« Reply #6092 on: April 10, 2013, 06:25:00 AM »

Well said. I love the movie, but always find myself thinking about what a better film it could be with some trimming. I've always thought the Cameron Diaz romance sub-plot could be virtually removed.

The book the movie is based on is a great read. It was published in the 1920's, and kinda reads like a text book, but some of the stories are beyond gnarly.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #6093 on: April 10, 2013, 09:56:42 AM »
+1 on the book.  Also check out "The French Quarter" and "The Barbary Coast" by the same author.  So many interesting stories.
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Dontfearthereefer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -232
  • Head kook
« Reply #6094 on: April 10, 2013, 10:26:03 AM »

L.S

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6095 on: April 10, 2013, 11:07:18 AM »
Expand Quote
i thought House of the Devil was really good.  very pleasantly surprised; i thought it was going to suck.  not sure if its still on netflix, but check out that guy's other movie "the Inkeepers".
[close]
I've watched a couple of Ti West's other movies, but I can't remember the names of any of them besides "The Roost" which was completely ridiculous in the best way possible... I'll be sure to check out "The Innkeepers" it seems pretty solid.

if you haven't already watched it, i have to warn you. the innkeepers was a terrible movie.
LS stands for little sidekick, lil shit lil slug/slime etc etc

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #6096 on: April 10, 2013, 11:09:43 AM »

frackin hilarious

GeorgeHanson

« Reply #6097 on: April 10, 2013, 01:33:42 PM »
The Ninth Gate. Depp looking like a stylish motherfucker. Polanski keeping you on the edge of your seat (and not with qualudes and molestation). Overall I'd give it a 7/10. Came out in 99.

Bliz

• Rep: -35
« Reply #6098 on: April 10, 2013, 02:27:12 PM »
Rush Hour always provides some damn good laughter, first and second, not a fan of the third

Rumpleforeskin

« Reply #6099 on: April 11, 2013, 11:03:23 AM »

Ollie Ringwald

• Rep: -3
« Reply #6100 on: April 11, 2013, 11:33:09 AM »
The Ninth Gate. Depp looking like a stylish motherfucker. Polanski keeping you on the edge of your seat (and not with qualudes and molestation). Overall I'd give it a 7/10. Came out in 99.

Yeah, this film is mad underrated.

frisco

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #6101 on: April 12, 2013, 01:51:27 AM »
Speaking of underrated movies, just finished watching Unbreakable. Seen it a few times. Easily my favourite movie from M Night Shyamalan

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -21
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #6102 on: April 12, 2013, 05:15:37 AM »
oslo, august 31st .. just wow. I don't think that I ever had the need to talk for hours after a movie. one of the best movies I ever watched.

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #6103 on: April 12, 2013, 06:13:59 AM »
Speaking of underrated movies, just finished watching Unbreakable. Seen it a few times. Easily my favourite movie from M Night Shyamalan

M Night Shyamalan is maybe the worst director that ever directed a movie , EVER

frisco

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #6104 on: April 12, 2013, 09:42:18 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

RECENTLY, yes, The Village, The Happening, Avatar, Lady in the Water are all horrible

That does not however take away from The Sixth Sense or Unbreakable. People hate him so much that they just automatically here his name and scoff

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #6105 on: April 12, 2013, 12:02:54 PM »

Love me some Paul Newman.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #6106 on: April 12, 2013, 08:43:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

RECENTLY, yes, The Village, The Happening, Avatar, Lady in the Water are all horrible

That does not however take away from The Sixth Sense or Unbreakable. People hate him so much that they just automatically here his name and scoff

M. Night Shenanigans.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Fake Tits

« Reply #6107 on: April 12, 2013, 08:51:36 PM »
Watched The Master.  Pretty great.

I think Philip Seymour Hoffman is one of the best actors of or generation

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 422
« Reply #6108 on: April 12, 2013, 09:11:31 PM »

This documentary is fucking awesome. Please watch it, you won't be disappointed.

Irvine-Sucks.com

peewee

« Reply #6109 on: April 12, 2013, 11:34:40 PM »
saw the place beyond the pines tonight and it was amazing

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #6110 on: April 13, 2013, 10:21:33 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbALBvRek1k

I watched this last night before going to bed and it left me restless. Ashley Arbaugh - the main scout at the center of this story - has this quality about her that made me feel so uneasy. It's funny how the modeling industry gets such a pass on things like child labor laws and crosses borders to manipulate such things. After watching it I had to know more and come to find out Ashley approached the directors of this after one of their showings at a festival with an idea on documentary - how prostitution and modeling go hand in hand - telling them she had boxes of photos, old self taken videos, and other bits of information to disclose. She then led them to China telling them she was starting some clothing line and the factory was over there but nothing was unveiled at Paris fashion week. That's where Ashley introduced them to Tigran where the actual direction of the documentary started to take place.

Ah, I could go on but shouldn't explain it all to you - just watch it. It's crazy to thing how these 13 year old girls line up, get shipped out, and what really happens is maybe they'll get a modeling gig but if not they very well may whore them out or even sell them into the sex trade. 

woodsman

• Rep: 65
« Reply #6111 on: April 13, 2013, 09:38:21 PM »
  The Place Beyond the Pines was really good. Not what I expected at all. It's 140 minutes though. I usually like to watch movies that length at home, so I can have a smoke, make a sandwich, get a beer and take a piss and then get back into it. I thought the movie was amazing though.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #6112 on: April 21, 2013, 10:05:22 AM »
oslo, august 31st .. just wow. I don't think that I ever had the need to talk for hours after a movie. one of the best movies I ever watched.

I watched this last night and it's amazing. The bit that hit's the hardest to me are the two open monologues - the first one with all the people talking about what they remember and then the conversations in the coffee shop ending with the girls list of aspirations finalizing on wanting to be loved. With everything, it's about being able to relate and I feel this is the most relative suicide movies - if you watch it I'm not giving anything away by saying that.

This wasn't romanticized in even the slightest I felt - very cold and authentic. Anders was brought up a privileged child on the right side of Oslo which led to his connections but in the end brought his spiral. He was taught in an intellectual sense but never felt true love or caring deep down inside. Even before he got into drugs he felt this and that's what he tried filling the void with since he was dealt the time and money to do so. However, in the end - even after the rehab, he still felt nothing there. His sister didn't want to see him, his best friend stood him up at a party, and his last opportunity at sex is turned down which was really felt to me. It's like you could see it in his eyes that he knew the feeling of getting in that pool with the girl would do nothing for him, that it was already over, and one last feeling of ecstasy was worthless to him. The last phone call he tries to make to the girl he's not even sure if he loved is futile.

How it's played out just sends shivers down your spine. I think for most people this is how it would happen for them yet no one would understand and most not express caring. That last cold day...

Jackburton

« Reply #6113 on: April 24, 2013, 01:27:44 AM »
Jack Reacher was pretty entertaining.  If you can stand Tom Cruise and suspend you belief its a good movie for laughs and some action.  Its like an 80s action movie, so don't look for too much substance.

via

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 239
« Reply #6114 on: April 24, 2013, 02:48:10 AM »

I watch this every month or two. Just got done again. Maybe it's cliche, but I guess how often I watch it makes it favorite movie of all time, by default.

I still kind of want to get a Bill the Butcher tattoo... but I'm not really into realistic portraits, and not sure how I feel about a flash version of him.

twitchflip

• Rep: 58
« Reply #6115 on: April 24, 2013, 07:54:47 AM »
this movie is incredible incredibly brutal

Filip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
« Reply #6116 on: April 25, 2013, 01:07:40 AM »
Sean Penn was amazing, and Josh Brolin is a badass.

landCow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
« Reply #6117 on: April 25, 2013, 05:21:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

there was a time when he was on the fast track to being great with the sixth sense and unbreakable which are fantastic films. Signs and the Village are extremely hit or miss with people. Personally I enjoy Signs enough that I can forgive its many flaws. His other movies? Forget about them. These days he deserves all the criticism he gets. He really peaked with The Happening, holy hell what a train wreck. That film is a pure unintentional comedy.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 05:20:33 PM by landCow »

The Nose Face

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 8
« Reply #6118 on: April 25, 2013, 07:00:19 AM »

This documentary is fucking awesome. Please watch it, you won't be disappointed.

60 Minutes did a story on this guy - so weird/cool how music from one place resonates so much miles and miles away...

The Place Beyond the Pines was really good too - it was weird to see how the story transitioned so much but still grips you at the same time. The word "beyond" really encapsulates the whole experience. Also - when Gosling's character rocks the "Ride the Lightning" Metallica shirt, it's a play on basically how he lived and that echos in the movie too.

Pearl

« Reply #6119 on: May 03, 2013, 05:01:44 PM »