Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 577098 times)

childhood and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #6210 on: April 12, 2013, 05:15:37 AM »
oslo, august 31st .. just wow. I don't think that I ever had the need to talk for hours after a movie. one of the best movies I ever watched.

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -319
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #6211 on: April 12, 2013, 06:13:59 AM »
Speaking of underrated movies, just finished watching Unbreakable. Seen it a few times. Easily my favourite movie from M Night Shyamalan

M Night Shyamalan is maybe the worst director that ever directed a movie , EVER

frisco

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
« Reply #6212 on: April 12, 2013, 09:42:18 AM »
Speaking of underrated movies, just finished watching Unbreakable. Seen it a few times. Easily my favourite movie from M Night Shyamalan

RECENTLY, yes, The Village, The Happening, Avatar, Lady in the Water are all horrible

That does not however take away from The Sixth Sense or Unbreakable. People hate him so much that they just automatically here his name and scoff

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 253
« Reply #6213 on: April 12, 2013, 12:02:54 PM »

Love me some Paul Newman.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -4
« Reply #6214 on: April 12, 2013, 08:43:46 PM »

RECENTLY, yes, The Village, The Happening, Avatar, Lady in the Water are all horrible

That does not however take away from The Sixth Sense or Unbreakable. People hate him so much that they just automatically here his name and scoff

M. Night Shenanigans.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of retarded kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Fake Tits

« Reply #6215 on: April 12, 2013, 08:51:36 PM »
Watched The Master.  Pretty great.

I think Philip Seymour Hoffman is one of the best actors of or generation

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
« Reply #6216 on: April 12, 2013, 09:11:31 PM »

This documentary is fucking awesome. Please watch it, you won't be disappointed.
Irvine-Sucks.com

peewee

« Reply #6217 on: April 12, 2013, 11:34:40 PM »
saw the place beyond the pines tonight and it was amazing

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 21
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround
« Reply #6218 on: April 13, 2013, 10:21:33 AM »

I watched this last night before going to bed and it left me restless. Ashley Arbaugh - the main scout at the center of this story - has this quality about her that made me feel so uneasy. It's funny how the modeling industry gets such a pass on things like child labor laws and crosses borders to manipulate such things. After watching it I had to know more and come to find out Ashley approached the directors of this after one of their showings at a festival with an idea on documentary - how prostitution and modeling go hand in hand - telling them she had boxes of photos, old self taken videos, and other bits of information to disclose. She then led them to China telling them she was starting some clothing line and the factory was over there but nothing was unveiled at Paris fashion week. That's where Ashley introduced them to Tigran where the actual direction of the documentary started to take place.

Ah, I could go on but shouldn't explain it all to you - just watch it. It's crazy to thing how these 13 year old girls line up, get shipped out, and what really happens is maybe they'll get a modeling gig but if not they very well may whore them out or even sell them into the sex trade. 

HATE!

• Administrator
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1159
« Reply #6219 on: April 13, 2013, 12:32:14 PM »
saw the place beyond the pines tonight and it was amazing

I really wanna see this and Trance.

woodsman

• Rep: 26
« Reply #6220 on: April 13, 2013, 09:38:21 PM »
  The Place Beyond the Pines was really good. Not what I expected at all. It's 140 minutes though. I usually like to watch movies that length at home, so I can have a smoke, make a sandwich, get a beer and take a piss and then get back into it. I thought the movie was amazing though.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 21
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround
« Reply #6221 on: April 21, 2013, 10:05:22 AM »
oslo, august 31st .. just wow. I don't think that I ever had the need to talk for hours after a movie. one of the best movies I ever watched.

I watched this last night and it's amazing. The bit that hit's the hardest to me are the two open monologues - the first one with all the people talking about what they remember and then the conversations in the coffee shop ending with the girls list of aspirations finalizing on wanting to be loved. With everything, it's about being able to relate and I feel this is the most relative suicide movies - if you watch it I'm not giving anything away by saying that.

This wasn't romanticized in even the slightest I felt - very cold and authentic. Anders was brought up a privileged child on the right side of Oslo which led to his connections but in the end brought his spiral. He was taught in an intellectual sense but never felt true love or caring deep down inside. Even before he got into drugs he felt this and that's what he tried filling the void with since he was dealt the time and money to do so. However, in the end - even after the rehab, he still felt nothing there. His sister didn't want to see him, his best friend stood him up at a party, and his last opportunity at sex is turned down which was really felt to me. It's like you could see it in his eyes that he knew the feeling of getting in that pool with the girl would do nothing for him, that it was already over, and one last feeling of ecstasy was worthless to him. The last phone call he tries to make to the girl he's not even sure if he loved is futile.

How it's played out just sends shivers down your spine. I think for most people this is how it would happen for them yet no one would understand and most not express caring. That last cold day...

Jackburton

« Reply #6222 on: April 24, 2013, 01:27:44 AM »
Jack Reacher was pretty entertaining.  If you can stand Tom Cruise and suspend you belief its a good movie for laughs and some action.  Its like an 80s action movie, so don't look for too much substance.

via

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #6223 on: April 24, 2013, 02:48:10 AM »

I watch this every month or two. Just got done again. Maybe it's cliche, but I guess how often I watch it makes it favorite movie of all time, by default.

I still kind of want to get a Bill the Butcher tattoo... but I'm not really into realistic portraits, and not sure how I feel about a flash version of him.

HATE!

• Administrator
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1159
« Reply #6224 on: April 24, 2013, 07:19:27 AM »

I watch this every month or two. Just got done again. Maybe it's cliche, but I guess how often I watch it makes it favorite movie of all time, by default.

I still kind of want to get a Bill the Butcher tattoo... but I'm not really into realistic portraits, and not sure how I feel about a flash version of him.

If there's anyone who would totally work as a piece of traditional flash it's Bill the Butcher.

twitchflip

• Rep: 58
« Reply #6225 on: April 24, 2013, 07:54:47 AM »
this movie is incredible incredibly brutal

Filip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -129
« Reply #6226 on: April 25, 2013, 01:07:40 AM »
Sean Penn was amazing, and Josh Brolin is a badass.

landCow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #6227 on: April 25, 2013, 05:21:56 AM »

there was a time when he was on the fast track to being great with the sixth sense and unbreakable which are fantastic films. Signs and the Village are extremely hit or miss with people. Personally I enjoy Signs enough that I can forgive its many flaws. His other movies? Forget about them. These days he deserves all the criticism he gets. He really peaked with The Happening, holy hell what a train wreck. That film is a pure unintentional comedy.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 05:20:33 PM by landCow »

The Nose Face

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #6228 on: April 25, 2013, 07:00:19 AM »

This documentary is fucking awesome. Please watch it, you won't be disappointed.

60 Minutes did a story on this guy - so weird/cool how music from one place resonates so much miles and miles away...

The Place Beyond the Pines was really good too - it was weird to see how the story transitioned so much but still grips you at the same time. The word "beyond" really encapsulates the whole experience. Also - when Gosling's character rocks the "Ride the Lightning" Metallica shirt, it's a play on basically how he lived and that echos in the movie too.

Pearl

« Reply #6229 on: May 03, 2013, 05:01:44 PM »

thepman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -102
« Reply #6230 on: May 04, 2013, 11:13:00 AM »
Sean Penn was amazing, and Josh Brolin is a badass.

I found this to be overwhelmingly disappointing. Poor character development, I never cared about half of the characters. Sean Penn looked like a melting candle with that make up and I felt he ended up more of a parody by the end. Agree with you about Josh Brolin though, felt he was the only redeeming feature, the film was definitely pretty stylish though.
skating is all about choosing your outfit very deliberately, going out in public. looking super sick. and then riding your board a little bit

DeputyDoses

• Rep: 4
  • I look like Mel Gibson
« Reply #6231 on: May 04, 2013, 06:42:01 PM »

Chris Hansen is back

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 697
« Reply #6232 on: May 04, 2013, 10:03:39 PM »

Thanks so much for the heads up on this. It was powerful.

BURRRPRINT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #6233 on: May 05, 2013, 01:25:32 AM »
This was pretty good, reminded of all the classic gangster/crime movies.

thepman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6234 on: May 06, 2013, 07:23:37 PM »
I saw Iron Man 3 yesterday, it was flawed but I still thoroughly enjoyed it. Wrote a review here if anyone fancies a read:

http://thedarjeelingblog.blogspot.com/2013/05/iron-man-3-review.html
skating is all about choosing your outfit very deliberately, going out in public. looking super sick. and then riding your board a little bit

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -22
« Reply #6235 on: May 07, 2013, 02:44:32 AM »
nobody cares what you thought about iron man 3.

frisco

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
« Reply #6236 on: May 07, 2013, 05:00:14 AM »

Can't go wrong with Dylan and Cash. Best scene in the film. Really enjoyed it, Robert De Niros best in over a decade

thepman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6237 on: May 07, 2013, 07:17:27 AM »
nobody cares what you thought about iron man 3.

Classic beer keg peg leg, being a nobhead as always

LesbianPUNCH

• Rep: 12
« Reply #6238 on: May 07, 2013, 02:18:10 PM »
Related to the guy who posted a review of Iron Man 3...  Does anyone here watch movie trailer reactions?  I found out the other day that my co worker, the biggest kook I've ever met, posts movie reviews and trailer reactions.  Couldn't find his account, but I did watch a few "reactions."  Humans suck. 

Silver Linings playbook was pretty good.  Did not know it was going to end up being a sappy love story but I'm a sucker for these feel-good movies.  Bradley Cooper's character reminded me of some people I know.

boyan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #6239 on: May 07, 2013, 03:29:35 PM »
Related to the guy who posted a review of Iron Man 3...  Does anyone here watch movie trailer reactions?  I found out the other day that my co worker, the biggest kook I've ever met, posts movie reviews and trailer reactions.  Couldn't find his account, but I did watch a few "reactions."  Humans suck. 

Silver Linings playbook was pretty good.  Did not know it was going to end up being a sappy love story but I'm a sucker for these feel-good movies.  Bradley Cooper's character reminded me of some people I know.

Silver Linings Playbook was good because in one way or another, we can relate to the characters and their flaws