Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 576677 times)

foureyedjim

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 115
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #6330 on: July 23, 2013, 02:40:32 PM »
Too bad Ebert is gone, I could always count on him to give me a reliable review, even if I disagreed with him sometimes

HATE!

• Administrator
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1159
« Reply #6331 on: July 23, 2013, 02:45:47 PM »
Checking out Only God Forgives this week and maybe The Conjuring.  Is it really THAT scary?  I'm hearing from some pretty credible homies that it's got some pretty great moments.

Filip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -129
« Reply #6332 on: July 23, 2013, 11:16:59 PM »
This weird old czech movie, really good, and creepy.

And Im seeing Pacific Rim today with girlfriend, I hope I can get high for that one.

Fake Tits

« Reply #6333 on: July 24, 2013, 01:37:13 AM »
Got 20 minutes into the conjuring but had to bounce.  It looked like it was gonna be a corker!

First night, sold out, kids talking loud from the start like they were in the food court.

Fuck I hate the movies sometimes.

Got our money back doe.

Rockin Robbin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
« Reply #6334 on: July 24, 2013, 02:09:03 AM »
"Bake me a pie of love" - Steve Winwood

Filip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -129
« Reply #6335 on: July 25, 2013, 02:26:00 AM »
Full of cliche, but entertaining as fuck. Im not a fan of 3D, but it was good too.

HATE!

• Administrator
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #6336 on: July 26, 2013, 08:13:38 AM »
I know it's kinda getting bad reviews, but I really enjoyed Only God Forgives  I thought it was a pretty rad metaphor for an angry god enacting vengeance and punishment.  That dude who played Chang was excellent as well.  Visually, it was pretty spectacular as well.

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
« Reply #6337 on: July 26, 2013, 12:30:36 PM »

Man, this cover is just bursting with some Baraka Obama photoshop possibilities.
Irvine-Sucks.com

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 15
  • sup breh
« Reply #6338 on: July 26, 2013, 01:16:47 PM »
I know it's kinda getting bad reviews, but I really enjoyed Only God Forgives  I thought it was a pretty rad metaphor for an angry god enacting vengeance and punishment.  That dude who played Chang was excellent as well.  Visually, it was pretty spectacular as well.
Yeah, I watched it last night with some friends. Overall, I'd say I enjoyed it. I'm not super into movies so I guess I can't really speak to the camera work or anything technical like that, but the colors and the way they framed certain shots were really cool. Parts of the movie were really disorienting, but I'm sure that was on purpose. Chang was great, and Gosling's sparse dialogue worked well. I wanted that fight scene to be more badass because I love action movies, but the way it was such an anticlimax really added to the tone of the movie I think. I was a little unclear about the ending at first, due to the abrupt scenery change, but I guess that was intentional too. Definitely a good watch.
Look I'm not selling anything that doesn't have my jizz on it. I don't care how much is offered.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
« Reply #6339 on: July 27, 2013, 02:21:51 AM »
one of the best movies i've seen in a long time:

HATE!

• Administrator
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #6340 on: July 27, 2013, 05:58:28 AM »
Yeah, I watched it last night with some friends. Overall, I'd say I enjoyed it. I'm not super into movies so I guess I can't really speak to the camera work or anything technical like that, but the colors and the way they framed certain shots were really cool. Parts of the movie were really disorienting, but I'm sure that was on purpose. Chang was great, and Gosling's sparse dialogue worked well. I wanted that fight scene to be more badass because I love action movies, but the way it was such an anticlimax really added to the tone of the movie I think. I was a little unclear about the ending at first, due to the abrupt scenery change, but I guess that was intentional too. Definitely a good watch.

I thought the performances were really good, and though Gosling wasn't bad, he was totally beaten by his brother (arguably the slimiest creep, I've seen in a long time), his completely fucked up mother and Chang who was SO imposing.  The dude would just appear and ooze threat.

bea!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6341 on: July 27, 2013, 07:19:23 AM »

super creepy, slow-crawling old fashioned satanic horror movie.  i was surprised by how much i thoroughly enjoyed this, best newer horror film i've seen in awhile.

(also helps that jocelin donahue, the newest subject of my desire, was the lead)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 12:46:14 PM by bea! »

myrrh

• Rep: 2
« Reply #6342 on: July 27, 2013, 12:34:49 PM »

It's crazy how it felt really violent without showing much violence at all.

Gonna go see Pacific Rim tonight. I'm a sucker for Guillermo del Toro.

I was expecting a lot from the "fight" between Julian and the cop......damn trailer

I loved this movie. Liked it better than Drive.
Actually the fight scene was my least favorite part of the whole movie. Tried to be kind of a epic fight with the music etc when the rest of the movie was more subtle.

All the violence was overhyped in my opinion.  Not the meaningless violence/deathfest I expected going into it.

Rockin Robbin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
« Reply #6343 on: July 28, 2013, 05:01:51 PM »

sniff  :'(
"Bake me a pie of love" - Steve Winwood

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
« Reply #6344 on: July 28, 2013, 05:10:23 PM »

Rundskop, which means bullhead in dutch...

It was filmed in the town i live...

The story is about a farmer that carries a secret. He uses and deals steroids and in is involved in steroid mafia. But the reason why he got involved is way deeper than one eould expect...

Amazing movie . No hollywood action just straight up belgian.

Fake Tits

« Reply #6345 on: July 28, 2013, 05:46:57 PM »
'this is the end'  was pretty damm funny!!

foureyedjim

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6346 on: July 28, 2013, 08:07:04 PM »

Rundskop, which means bullhead in dutch...

It was filmed in the town i live...

The story is about a farmer that carries a secret. He uses and deals steroids and in is involved in steroid mafia. But the reason why he got involved is way deeper than one eould expect...

Amazing movie . No hollywood action just straight up belgian.

damn that looks good.  Thanks man!

Mundungus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 50
  • ∆∆∆
« Reply #6347 on: July 28, 2013, 09:27:44 PM »

Didn't know it was by the same director that made Lil Miss Sunshine until after I saw it, but I loved it.

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 15
  • sup breh
« Reply #6348 on: July 28, 2013, 11:38:59 PM »

I thought the performances were really good, and though Gosling wasn't bad, he was totally beaten by his brother (arguably the slimiest creep, I've seen in a long time), his completely fucked up mother and Chang who was SO imposing.  The dude would just appear and ooze threat.
I completely agree, his brother was a total piece of shit. I was stoked when he got what was coming to him. Their mom, jesus. What a crazy bitch! Her relationship with her sons was just straight uncomfortable. And yeah, Chang was the greatest hero/villain/antihero (can't really decide) in a while. I was a big fan of the dichotomy between him being this scary motherfucker and him singing these incredibly gentle karaoke songs while everyone just stares at him nonplussed.
Look I'm not selling anything that doesn't have my jizz on it. I don't care how much is offered.

foureyedjim

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6349 on: July 29, 2013, 12:53:43 AM »
The Conjuring. A legitimately good and scary horror film. A rare beast these days.

Trailer creeps me the fuck out. Hopefully make time sometime this week to see it.

Jump scares and exorcism.  It was fun while it lasted but nothing too special for me

Harem

« Reply #6350 on: July 29, 2013, 04:49:25 AM »
Still yet to see it :(

I did catch this last night -

Fantastic. Fuck Seaworld.

frisco

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
« Reply #6351 on: July 29, 2013, 05:06:41 AM »
I posted this before but watched it again yesterday. This movie is so fucking funny.

boyan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #6352 on: July 29, 2013, 06:06:16 AM »
Went to see "Now You See Me" last nigt, I was entertained

MyUserName

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
« Reply #6353 on: July 29, 2013, 06:33:04 AM »

Really liked it. Michael B. Jordan is slowly but surely becoming this generation's Denzel Washington.

The movie made me feel like shit though. Here's this 22 year old with a kid, trouble finding work, and a family he wants to care for. It really made me realize how small my problems are.

HATE!

• Administrator
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #6354 on: July 29, 2013, 08:49:18 AM »
^^^
Heard nothing but excellent things about it.

Any of y'all seen ABCs of Death?  The premise sounds interesting, but it sounds long for what it is.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -4
« Reply #6355 on: July 29, 2013, 09:57:26 AM »

Really liked it. Michael B. Jordan is slowly but surely becoming this generation's Denzel Washington.

The movie made me feel like shit though. Here's this 22 year old with a kid, trouble finding work, and a family he wants to care for. It really made me realize how small my problems are.
I hope it didn't take a movie for you to realize how fucked up this situation was. I look forward to watching this though. I'm just disappointed that Wallace always has to die.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of retarded kids and a van full of paraplegics.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
« Reply #6356 on: July 29, 2013, 02:47:31 PM »
^^^
Heard nothing but excellent things about it.

Any of y'all seen ABCs of Death?  The premise sounds interesting, but it sounds long for what it is.

its real hit or miss, but worth a watch for sure.  there are so many segments that some are bound to be terrible, but the good ones make up for it

frisco

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6357 on: July 31, 2013, 03:21:08 AM »

It's crazy how it felt really violent without showing much violence at all.

Gonna go see Pacific Rim tonight. I'm a sucker for Guillermo del Toro.

I was expecting a lot from the "fight" between Julian and the cop......damn trailer

I loved this movie. Liked it better than Drive.
Actually the fight scene was my least favorite part of the whole movie. Tried to be kind of a epic fight with the music etc when the rest of the movie was more subtle.

All the violence was overhyped in my opinion.  Not the meaningless violence/deathfest I expected going into it.

Also liked it more than Drive, not sure if it'll hold up after multiple viewings but first impression I liked it more.

Best shot movie since Skyfall in my mind. Not that it matters but this will get zero academy recognition, so when some 3D blockbuster is winning best cinematography I'll be thinking of this movie.

Reminded me so much of a Kubrick film. Camera work and music mostly, I looked it up and Kubricks last "DP" was Larry Smith who now works with Winding Refn. Kubrick never had DPs though he WAS the DP, just called them "lighting cameramans" pretty hilarious.

The violence was pretty gnarly though I'll have to disagree there with it being overhyped.

Really solid, anyone on the fence about it, check it out.

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #6358 on: July 31, 2013, 03:33:07 AM »
kubrick did double penetration?

frisco

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6359 on: July 31, 2013, 03:53:46 AM »
all day