Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 925460 times)

Smell Good

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #6360 on: October 17, 2013, 01:18:07 PM »
Gravity was shit overall, but was pretty good visually. Wouldn't recommend paying a full price for the theater ticket, though.
Just got back from seeing Gravity in IMAX 3D. I did not think it was shit.

It was a great film. It's a pretty lean movie, but I think IMAX 3D is the most ideal platform for this film. You just can't get that sense of immersion anywhere else.

Also, going to see 12 Years a Slave tomorrow. Steve McQueen seems to have maintained his clean track record with this one. Hunger and Shame were just absolutely fascinating films.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 01:23:28 PM by Smell Good »

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #6361 on: October 19, 2013, 02:29:13 AM »

Top notch. Hadn't seen either before.

Kanye Omari West

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -360
« Reply #6362 on: October 20, 2013, 11:07:30 AM »
Forget about an American remake that isn't consistent.  If Daniel Craig is done, it's over.  There is no point in adapting a foreign film only to make it less consistent.  And personally, I found the original to be more enjoyable.  I didn't really buy Rooney Mara as Lisbeth, not like Noomi Rapace.  Don't get me wrong, I love Fincher and overall enjoyed his Dragon Tattoo, but there is just something disingenuous about a film set in Sweden with characters speaking English.  That goes for all films in translation.

True, I actually saw the American version first and didn't even know the Euro version existed until like almost a year afterwards so I was kinda like "Aw man, these people aren't as attractive as the American one, the sex scenes are gonna blow" since I had already seen it and wasn't trying to see how the acting and whatnot would compare lol, they were both good but yea, the original one is better

And I thought I saw someone say Eraserhead was good and I have to disagree. The shit was excruciatingly dull. It was weird, but still dull. I saw about 15 minutes and changed the channel.

LesbianPUNCH

• Rep: 25
« Reply #6363 on: October 20, 2013, 03:17:02 PM »
Yes, forget Eraserhead.  It was weird for weird's sake and did nothing for me at all except make me wonder about my friends who suggested it. 

Kanye Omari West

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6364 on: October 20, 2013, 05:13:36 PM »
Saw Devil's Advocate, shit was pretty good, I wish it got a little darker but that's what makes a thriller a thriller. It's like scary but not really but kinda sorta not at all a little bit completely

ROCKxADIO420

« Reply #6365 on: October 20, 2013, 05:15:44 PM »
dam well put

Harem

« Reply #6366 on: October 21, 2013, 05:14:29 AM »

I think I've got my top 3 for 2013.

1. Mud
2. The Place Beyond The Pines
3. Prisoners

pencil

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -131
  • my other account is abudabi
« Reply #6367 on: October 21, 2013, 09:32:32 PM »
just watched thank you for smoking and it was tight
would you rather read an abudabi post or have a screwdriver shoved up your ass?

esoesloco

• Rep: -5
« Reply #6368 on: October 26, 2013, 09:29:50 PM »

The Place Beyond the Pines sticks out as the best Ive seen in a long time.  It's amazingly written, super unique and keeps the viewer enthralled with the story.  Even if I half knew what to expect next in the plot a few times I was always in awe and satisfied with how the story and themes were explored espcially the suprising dramatic ways in which characters decisions intersect and affect the realities of others ("doth not the son bear the iniquity of the father?" ).  The film is much more than just a story and really does touch on deeper spiritual and psychological levels than most.  I loved how it was not overdramatized or overracted - the editing is incredible ("Its not what you put in. Its what you leave out").  Hadnt been so impressed with a movie in a long time.  fucking good film

Also watched Our Idiot Brother and it was surprisingly a really good comedy with well developed characters - my wife and I both loved it, laughed my ass off
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 09:40:12 PM by esoesloco »

J.R.

• Rep: -38
« Reply #6369 on: October 27, 2013, 12:29:13 PM »
Eyes Wide Shut. Stanley Kubrick movies never cease to amaze.

http://www.mojvideo.com/video-eyes-wide-shut-unrated-1999-1-4/3f928633da1a58d63708

You can watch it with the link above, it's split into four parts on that website.

woodsman

• Rep: 65
« Reply #6370 on: October 27, 2013, 03:12:21 PM »
The Counselor!
  I saw it today and loved it. It is getting really bad reviews but if you like C.M's writing you will love it. Basically you have to be prepared for long segments of dialog between awesome scenes of brutal violence. But if you can't handle that then there's always Machete Kills. I think the most brutal death scene in a movie this year is in The Counselor.

swagdragon123

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -105
  • I take my internet usernames xtremly serious
    • HOBOHOGAN avatar image
« Reply #6371 on: October 27, 2013, 04:39:29 PM »
went on a classic movie binge (in this order)

Boogie Nights was just too fucking good

Kanye Omari West

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6372 on: October 27, 2013, 04:49:43 PM »
Speaking of Kubrick, I saw Full Metal Jacket and it was okay, thought it would get a little crazier from what a friend had told me but there were some moments that were insane, I ain't mad at it

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -606
« Reply #6373 on: October 27, 2013, 08:50:59 PM »
i saw prisoners, it was amazing.

a place beyond the pines was really good, too, but prisoners is the movie of the year thus far.
I’m a ghost that everyone can see.

J.R.

• Rep: -38
« Reply #6374 on: October 28, 2013, 08:25:27 AM »
Speaking of Kubrick, I saw Full Metal Jacket and it was okay, thought it would get a little crazier from what a friend had told me but there were some moments that were insane, I ain't mad at it

Stanley Kubrick wasn't one to overtly put everything in your face, but that's why his films have such longevity. The cinematography as a whole really tells the story equally as much as the characters do with their verbal explanations. In FMJ he captures the whole process of dehumanization very well, and he does an amazing job at giving you visual clues that subtly compliment the process IMO. The same is especially true of Eyes Wide Shut, taking into consideration that everything Stanley Kubrick introduces into his work has nothing to do with coincidence and everything to do with the necessary preparation of making sure that everything that went into the film can be absorbed by the viewer to best receive the message he's conveying. If you like Kubrick's work, I would suggest watching Eyes Wide Shut as it is deemed by himself as his best work.

Kanye Omari West

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6375 on: October 28, 2013, 07:26:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Stanley Kubrick wasn't one to overtly put everything in your face, but that's why his films have such longevity. The cinematography as a whole really tells the story equally as much as the characters do with their verbal explanations. In FMJ he captures the whole process of dehumanization very well, and he does an amazing job at giving you visual clues that subtly compliment the process IMO. The same is especially true of Eyes Wide Shut, taking into consideration that everything Stanley Kubrick introduces into his work has nothing to do with coincidence and everything to do with the necessary preparation of making sure that everything that went into the film can be absorbed by the viewer to best receive the message he's conveying. If you like Kubrick's work, I would suggest watching Eyes Wide Shut as it is deemed by himself as his best work.

True, I actually spoke on that flick earlier in the thread, I watched it at like 3 in the morning and couldn't sleep until it was light out, I was so fucking uncomfortable because I could see everything in the movie happening, it was too real, and I went and read an analysis online to answer some questions on stuff and it brought everything full circle, shit was insane, especially after you find out he died 5 days after the final edit was dropped off

crackrazor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #6376 on: October 28, 2013, 08:28:46 PM »

because of

Energy Turtle

• Rep: 15
« Reply #6377 on: October 28, 2013, 11:53:21 PM »
been on a kubrick binge myself this last week. I had to watch Eyes Wide Shut three times and it keeps getting better. I love how you can watch his movies again and again and still get something new out of it. I guess that's just his meticulous nature. Also watched some documentaries about him. Life in pictures is tight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR-loS9MHww
also if you're into film analyses check out this guys channel. he does a lot of Kubrick stuff
https://www.youtube.com/user/robag88
saw The Counselor today. kinda bummed. too much dialogue with no characterization

shark tits

« Reply #6378 on: October 29, 2013, 12:10:08 AM »
'rumblefish' is the dope show! you're thinking it's gonna be like 'the outsiders' but it's a grown up artsy take on white hoods in tulsa circa 50-60s.

Buzz Killington

• Rep: -12
« Reply #6379 on: October 29, 2013, 03:04:05 AM »
The Place Beyond The Pines came out in 2012.

It was really good, I thought it did pretty damn well at being an 'epic'. If the second act was cut 20 minutes or so though it could have been a masterpiece. The kid who played Gosling's son is super rad, I have a feeling he will have a very awesome career ahead of him.

Explosive Bolts

• Rep: 18
  • Politicin, Networkin
« Reply #6380 on: October 29, 2013, 12:48:01 PM »
I've been watching a bunch of horror leading up to Halloween, kind of a tradition to watch horror movies through the month of October.

I've watched Halloween III twice so far. It's so fucking good. Absurd like a good John Carpenter story and full of creepy gore and glorious 80s cheese.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thz8P0ZfcgY
Wipe me down

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #6381 on: October 29, 2013, 08:17:30 PM »
halloween 3 is the best one

really hoping to come up on the soundtrack reissue one of these days:

http://deathwaltzrecordingcompany.com/shop/halloween-iii-season-of-the-witch-pre-sale-begins-23rd-august/
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 08:19:07 PM by augustmoon »
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

ROCKxADIO420

« Reply #6382 on: October 29, 2013, 08:23:20 PM »
fuckong love halloween III stoked im not the only one. 2 is really the stinker of the og bunch idk why everyone got so confused about that

ROCKxADIO420

« Reply #6383 on: October 29, 2013, 08:26:12 PM »
watching red dragon for the first time in years and i cant believe i never noticed how lame this shit is. i guess i was just too stoked on silence of the lambs to admit it.

except for this

i cant wait to use this gif appropriately on slap. someone plz focus their account?

A.A

• Rep: -52
« Reply #6384 on: October 29, 2013, 08:52:05 PM »
Saw Prisoners last night.  Great movie but didn't live up to the hype.
I wanted the maze thing to make more sense. Plus Hugh jackass over acted the shit out of it.

Place beyond the pines was the best movie I've seen this year.

Evil Dead remake second.

The worst movie I've seen recently, without fail, 100%, was Trance by Danny Boyle.  Fucking stinker!!!!!!!!
Twin Perks

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 672
« Reply #6385 on: October 29, 2013, 09:21:59 PM »
I've been watching a bunch of horror leading up to Halloween, kind of a tradition to watch horror movies through the month of October.

I've watched Halloween III twice so far. It's so fucking good. Absurd like a good John Carpenter story and full of creepy gore and glorious 80s cheese.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thz8P0ZfcgY

I thought the ending was brilliant.
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

Explosive Bolts

• Rep: 18
  • Politicin, Networkin
« Reply #6386 on: October 29, 2013, 09:27:00 PM »

Evil Dead remake second.

Evil Dead remake was bad and you suck.
Wipe me down

A.A

• Rep: -52
« Reply #6387 on: October 29, 2013, 10:38:21 PM »
Expand Quote

Evil Dead remake second.
[close]

Evil Dead remake was bad and you suck.

I know I suck, you are correct there but..

What was bad about it? Do tell...
Twin Perks

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #6388 on: October 30, 2013, 01:49:06 AM »
SCARFACE..

swagdragon123

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -105
  • I take my internet usernames xtremly serious
    • HOBOHOGAN avatar image
« Reply #6389 on: October 30, 2013, 11:47:36 AM »