Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 925325 times)

Mundungus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 58
  • ∆∆∆
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #6390 on: October 30, 2013, 08:14:06 PM »
I think i already posted this, but they're on Netflix now so let me reiterate.

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6391 on: October 30, 2013, 10:33:17 PM »
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 10:37:57 PM by vegan*shawn »

Kanye Omari West

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -360
« Reply #6392 on: October 31, 2013, 08:24:21 AM »
Saw Prisoners last night.  Great movie but didn't live up to the hype.
I wanted the maze thing to make more sense. Plus Hugh jackass over acted the shit out of it.

Place beyond the pines was the best movie I've seen this year.

Evil Dead remake second.

The worst movie I've seen recently, without fail, 100%, was Trance by Danny Boyle.  Fucking stinker!!!!!!!!

Shit man, I saw trance at a friends house with some people and even if it wasn't 2 in the morning I think I still would've been borderline comatose, shit was stupid AND boring but I think they liked it, I was just waiting for it to end so I could take my ass home and fall out
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 08:35:04 AM by Kanye Omari West »

frisco

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76

Useless Wooden Bench

• Rep: 159
    • Pappy avatar image
« Reply #6394 on: November 02, 2013, 05:52:06 AM »

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2593
« Reply #6395 on: November 02, 2013, 03:13:17 PM »
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Greg Road

« Reply #6396 on: November 03, 2013, 12:21:03 AM »
Prisoners was really good. I find a lot of those movies throw things in to mess around with what's really happening, and it never really makes sense after the fact and I feel like they just expect people to not think about it again because they conclude the movie. Still good though.

Someone earlier said Place Beyond the Pines was the best movie they saw this year, and I agree. Fucking stellar movie.

esoesloco

• Rep: -5
« Reply #6397 on: November 03, 2013, 02:27:30 PM »

Someone earlier said Place Beyond the Pines was the best movie they saw this year, and I agree. Fucking stellar movie.

Place Beyond the Pines was by far the best movie Ive seen in a long time...I cant think of another recent movie that I was so impressed by.  I dont often repeat view but I cant wait to watch that one again. 

Pain and Gain was also pretty good, but Place Beyond the Pines is a piece of art up there with the best of em.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
« Reply #6398 on: November 03, 2013, 07:12:20 PM »

The holy mountain is fucking insane. Just watched THE HEAT with the folks, pretty damn funny.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

Camp Grunge

• Rep: -7
« Reply #6399 on: November 04, 2013, 07:09:12 AM »
Yeah, just saw the Place Beyond the Pines. Pretty crazy movie.

If were being totally honest, I was pretty into the first hunger games movie and im really excited for the second...

Explosive Bolts

• Rep: 18
  • Politicin, Networkin
« Reply #6400 on: November 04, 2013, 07:15:08 AM »

My nigga... I've seen this like 4 times. This is probably the only movie I'd consider fucking Sissy Spacek in.

Just watched Gravity in IMAX 3D and it was incredible.  The storyline was pretty ridiculous but the visuals were fucking AMAZING.  The best use of 3D ever.  Some serious white knuckle moments in there.  The next BBC Planet Earth series needs to be IMAX 3D.

I agree with the visuals, but i didn't vibe with the 3d. it was like everything was on 2 planes, like a pop up book. not worth the money. glad i saw it in theaters, bummed my theater only has the fake imax set up
Wipe me down

Explosive Bolts

• Rep: 18
  • Politicin, Networkin
« Reply #6401 on: November 04, 2013, 08:04:45 AM »
I've heard about this "fake" Imax set up from other friends.  What does that mean?  They're playing the Imax version on the wrong screen or on the wrong projector or something?

I did have SOME problems with the 3D- like her crying in zero gravity and certain little objects in zero gravity as well, but I thought the 3D was very effective with the wide space shots.  Don't get me wrong, it's still a lame ass gimmick 99% of the time, I just thought the stuff with the stars and the wide shots of earth in 3D were very good.  The only place where 3D is super effective is with animated shit.

You know how the "real" imax is like looking at the inside of a golf ball? Well there are some "imax" screens that are just marginally bigger than the regular theatrical screens. Which is cool, but you know, it's fake.

I'd also add that I believe the 3d for Gravity was done in post production. The only movie i ever saw that i wasn't completely bummed about paying for 3d was Hugo, and even then i was feverishly rubbing my nickels together leaving the theater.
Wipe me down

sprayTAN101

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
  • thats a sweet tan bro.
« Reply #6402 on: November 04, 2013, 12:47:28 PM »

If you're into sci-fi like me. Surprisingly good!

"Moon" - Official Trailer [HQ]

Also noticed that the full Gattica film is on youtube, it's a good watch if all you got is internet.

"lifestyle scorpion dude..."

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #6403 on: November 04, 2013, 08:33:29 PM »
Expand Quote
I've heard about this "fake" Imax set up from other friends.  What does that mean?  They're playing the Imax version on the wrong screen or on the wrong projector or something?

I did have SOME problems with the 3D- like her crying in zero gravity and certain little objects in zero gravity as well, but I thought the 3D was very effective with the wide space shots.  Don't get me wrong, it's still a lame ass gimmick 99% of the time, I just thought the stuff with the stars and the wide shots of earth in 3D were very good.  The only place where 3D is super effective is with animated shit.
[close]

You know how the "real" imax is like looking at the inside of a golf ball? Well there are some "imax" screens that are just marginally bigger than the regular theatrical screens. Which is cool, but you know, it's fake.

I'd also add that I believe the 3d for Gravity was done in post production. The only movie i ever saw that i wasn't completely bummed about paying for 3d was Hugo, and even then i was feverishly rubbing my nickels together leaving the theater.

Of course it was done in post-production dude, like 95% of the movie is CGI.

I don't think I've ever had a better theatre experience than Gravity. I've never felt like I've really gotten my money's worth out of either IMAX prices nor 3D but that shit was a spectacle in every sense. That opening where the sound just ramps up gradually to be ear-shattering and then cuts to complete silence in space -- there was such an audible "holy shit" from half of the audience I was in. I'd see it again for the sound alone.

skateboardnorth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
« Reply #6404 on: November 05, 2013, 10:17:40 AM »
Bad Grandpa was actually really funny. 

morningpost

• Rep: -17
« Reply #6405 on: November 05, 2013, 10:37:18 AM »
Just saw Captain Phillips, and it wasn't too bad. It had some slow parts, but it was better than I suspected.

swagdragon123

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -105
  • I take my internet usernames xtremly serious
    • HOBOHOGAN avatar image
« Reply #6406 on: November 05, 2013, 11:37:43 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Place Beyond the Pines was by far the best movie Ive seen in a long time...I cant think of another recent movie that I was so impressed by.  I dont often repeat view but I cant wait to watch that one again. 

Pain and Gain was also pretty good, but Place Beyond the Pines is a piece of art up there with the best of em.
how could you possibly weigh in on a film thread?
Yeah, just saw the Place Beyond the Pines. Pretty crazy movie.

If were being totally honest, I was pretty into the first hunger games movie and im really excited for the second...
i hear ya there

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2593
« Reply #6407 on: November 05, 2013, 01:05:21 PM »

Recently I haven't had the patience for "slow" films, but this one was worth sticking it out.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 422
« Reply #6408 on: November 05, 2013, 05:41:05 PM »

I really loved this documentary. It really inspired me to get back to doing some art projects. It's streaming on Netflix so if you have an account, I highly recommend it.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 11:08:27 PM by RCB3 »

Irvine-Sucks.com

sweat stains

• Rep: 33
  • slap sux
    • Shady Griptape avatar image
« Reply #6409 on: November 05, 2013, 07:16:48 PM »

I really loved this documentary. It really inspired me to get back to doing some art projects. It's streaming on Netflix so if you have an account, I highly recommend it.
Just watched that on Netflix too, really interesting.
Netflix has some good documentaries if you dig deep enough, I really liked this one
damn those yarys bout those squats

J.R.

• Rep: -38
« Reply #6410 on: November 05, 2013, 07:52:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Speaking of Kubrick, I saw Full Metal Jacket and it was okay, thought it would get a little crazier from what a friend had told me but there were some moments that were insane, I ain't mad at it
[close]

Stanley Kubrick wasn't one to overtly put everything in your face, but that's why his films have such longevity. The cinematography as a whole really tells the story equally as much as the characters do with their verbal explanations. In FMJ he captures the whole process of dehumanization very well, and he does an amazing job at giving you visual clues that subtly compliment the process IMO. The same is especially true of Eyes Wide Shut, taking into consideration that everything Stanley Kubrick introduces into his work has nothing to do with coincidence and everything to do with the necessary preparation of making sure that everything that went into the film can be absorbed by the viewer to best receive the message he's conveying. If you like Kubrick's work, I would suggest watching Eyes Wide Shut as it is deemed by himself as his best work.
[close]

True, I actually spoke on that flick earlier in the thread, I watched it at like 3 in the morning and couldn't sleep until it was light out, I was so fucking uncomfortable because I could see everything in the movie happening, it was too real, and I went and read an analysis online to answer some questions on stuff and it brought everything full circle, shit was insane, especially after you find out he died 5 days after the final edit was dropped off

Hah yes! Everyone is like "the Illuminati killed him because he gave out too many secrets!" Warner Brothers cut out about 32 minutes of the film before it was made into the version that hit theaters, I've always wondered what was filmed that we never saw. That movie has so many parallel meanings that 5 different people can give you 5 different answers as to what the whole film is about. The Shining is the same way too.

Kanye Omari West

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6411 on: November 05, 2013, 10:54:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Speaking of Kubrick, I saw Full Metal Jacket and it was okay, thought it would get a little crazier from what a friend had told me but there were some moments that were insane, I ain't mad at it
[close]

Stanley Kubrick wasn't one to overtly put everything in your face, but that's why his films have such longevity. The cinematography as a whole really tells the story equally as much as the characters do with their verbal explanations. In FMJ he captures the whole process of dehumanization very well, and he does an amazing job at giving you visual clues that subtly compliment the process IMO. The same is especially true of Eyes Wide Shut, taking into consideration that everything Stanley Kubrick introduces into his work has nothing to do with coincidence and everything to do with the necessary preparation of making sure that everything that went into the film can be absorbed by the viewer to best receive the message he's conveying. If you like Kubrick's work, I would suggest watching Eyes Wide Shut as it is deemed by himself as his best work.
[close]

True, I actually spoke on that flick earlier in the thread, I watched it at like 3 in the morning and couldn't sleep until it was light out, I was so fucking uncomfortable because I could see everything in the movie happening, it was too real, and I went and read an analysis online to answer some questions on stuff and it brought everything full circle, shit was insane, especially after you find out he died 5 days after the final edit was dropped off
[close]

Hah yes! Everyone is like "the Illuminati killed him because he gave out too many secrets!" Warner Brothers cut out about 32 minutes of the film before it was made into the version that hit theaters, I've always wondered what was filmed that we never saw. That movie has so many parallel meanings that 5 different people can give you 5 different answers as to what the whole film is about. The Shining is the same way too.

Chea, I know one thing they cut was some sort of chanting, like some legit ass black magick type shit

woodsman

• Rep: 65
« Reply #6412 on: November 06, 2013, 06:50:40 AM »
12 years a slave. Brutal and a must see. It's been a great year for movies with some heavy hitters still to come.

arthurspooner

• Rep: 9
« Reply #6413 on: November 06, 2013, 07:01:28 AM »
I just watched Martha Marcy May Marlene. One of my new favorite films. I would highly recommend it.

Energy Turtle

• Rep: 15
« Reply #6414 on: November 07, 2013, 12:14:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Chea, I know one thing they cut was some sort of chanting, like some legit ass black magick type shit
pretty sure there's nothing verifying 35 minutes being cut from kubrick's final product. if there is where did u find that out?

Kanye Omari West

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6415 on: November 07, 2013, 06:24:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
pretty sure there's nothing verifying 35 minutes being cut from kubrick's final product. if there is where did u find that out?

I read it somewhere, the internet most likely

peewee

« Reply #6416 on: November 09, 2013, 09:34:14 AM »
Anyone see 12 Years A Slave yet?  I'm going tonight.  I've heard great things, but I'm expecting to be depressed afterward.

yeah its depressing man but so good

and saw We Need to Talk About Kevin last night

peewee

« Reply #6417 on: November 09, 2013, 09:38:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anyone see 12 Years A Slave yet?  I'm going tonight.  I've heard great things, but I'm expecting to be depressed afterward.
[close]

yeah its depressing man but so good

and saw We Need to Talk About Kevin last night
[close]

Oh man, that movie.  Kevin is SUCH a bastard.

seriously....when he shits his diaper again and she just throws him, breaking his arm haha
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 10:54:31 AM by Eric »

ROCKxADIO420

« Reply #6418 on: November 09, 2013, 10:12:47 AM »
that kevin movie was lame as fuck

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #6419 on: November 09, 2013, 10:13:25 AM »
12 years a slave was intense. A must watch but I never want to watch it again...
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.