Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 925237 times)

LesbianPUNCH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 25
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #6420 on: November 09, 2013, 02:47:18 PM »
Did any of you guys read the novel We Need to Talk About Kevin?  I read the novel after seeing trailers for the film, and I thought the adaptation was pretty awesome.  The formatting of the novel sort of leads you to the conclusion due to it's pretentious execution, but overall I thought the novel was a complete mind fuck of sadness, anger...Just a raw book.  One complaint that I had with the movie is that Kevin's final act, the damn climax, was obscured into weird artsy abstract representation.  I think they should have gone into detail like the novel did.  But eh, pretty pleased with it overall.  The acting was amazing. 

Stoeipoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 53
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6421 on: November 12, 2013, 07:18:35 PM »
Just saw the conjuring on my own in the middle of the night in a small dark room and I was scared.
Bitches call me pussy, the horse filler.

frisco

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #6422 on: November 12, 2013, 07:54:40 PM »
Just saw the conjuring on my own in the middle of the night in a small dark room and I was scared.

Been trying to convince my girlfriend to watch this

Seeing Gravity tomorrow night finally, heard mixed things, have to see it for myself.

band

• Rep: 4
« Reply #6423 on: November 12, 2013, 08:05:44 PM »
talking about movies is too pretenious for me

gay pride - proud to be gay

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #6424 on: November 12, 2013, 09:02:54 PM »
I watched " Now you see me "  a couple of days ago . While there was some good stuff in it it was really bad in many other ways . Some good acting combined with some shit acting . A Romance plot that made no real sense .

Some really cliche police things , burned out FBI dude paired up with another law officer from another branch , They dont get along for some reason , but in the end they are best buddies .
Or in this case they fall in love

Magic tricks that are way too complicated and not needed . Technology way to complicated and not needed .

Its worth a watch but dont go in with super high expectations

cornholio

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
« Reply #6425 on: November 12, 2013, 11:09:29 PM »
I watched " Now you see me "  a couple of days ago . While there was some good stuff in it it was really bad in many other ways . Some good acting combined with some shit acting . A Romance plot that made no real sense .

Some really cliche police things , burned out FBI dude paired up with another law officer from another branch , They dont get along for some reason , but in the end they are best buddies .
Or in this case they fall in love

Magic tricks that are way too complicated and not needed . Technology way to complicated and not needed .

Its worth a watch but dont go in with super high expectations
You are exactly right about this. I couldn't agree more.

La Nouvelle Vague

« Reply #6426 on: November 14, 2013, 02:06:39 PM »

Energy Turtle

• Rep: 15
« Reply #6427 on: November 14, 2013, 11:35:32 PM »

I've been debating whether or not to see this. trailer looked good
The Great Escape. One of my favorites

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -606
« Reply #6428 on: November 15, 2013, 10:55:37 AM »
Has anyone ever seen If....? It was Malcolm McDowell's first role, you know, Alex from A Clockwork Orange.
I’m a ghost that everyone can see.

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #6429 on: November 15, 2013, 02:06:33 PM »
It's really good and highly recommended. Somewhat similar chaotic feel  in this one:

The Man Who Stole the Sun

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #6430 on: November 15, 2013, 02:32:51 PM »
Anyone see 12 Years A Slave yet?  I'm going tonight.  I've heard great things, but I'm expecting to be depressed afterward.
It's not depressing. It didn't make me feel depressed at all.

I found the film incredibly moving. Steve McQueen is doing great things in film.

Did any of you guys notice how wide the aspect ratio was? I liked that.

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #6431 on: November 15, 2013, 02:47:56 PM »
Watched Zero Dark Thirty recently, really liked it. Was expecting a bit more "'Murica" but was pleasantly surprised. Then I watched Machette as its been sitting in my dvd pile unopened since I bought it ages ago. Proper banger. Guns and boobs and killing stuff. Ace

sweat stains

• Rep: 33
  • slap sux
    • Shady Griptape avatar image
« Reply #6432 on: November 15, 2013, 03:13:08 PM »
Robocop.
damn those yarys bout those squats

excitableboy

• Rep: 90
« Reply #6433 on: November 15, 2013, 04:53:33 PM »
Probably has been mentioned in this thread, but I saw Paris, Texas for the first time last night.

Up there with the best I movies I have ever seen. On a related note: Partly Fiction (Harry Dean Stanton documentary) premiered some days ago.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 04:56:25 PM by excitableboy »

brent

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 740
« Reply #6434 on: November 15, 2013, 05:09:37 PM »

two thumbs
This armor plating is going to get a little more diesel.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #6435 on: November 15, 2013, 11:47:11 PM »

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Nancy Chin The Manicurist

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6436 on: November 16, 2013, 12:23:13 PM »
Frances HA is really really good.

Basically manages to be everything HBO's Girls fancies itself to be. And this is coming from a dude who's a fan of the show.

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #6437 on: November 16, 2013, 09:18:04 PM »

two thumbs

On a scale of 1-10, how much do you want Gavin McInnes' dick?

brent

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 740
« Reply #6438 on: November 16, 2013, 09:33:13 PM »
8, maybe 9
This armor plating is going to get a little more diesel.

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 422
« Reply #6439 on: November 16, 2013, 09:36:36 PM »
Probably has been mentioned in this thread, but I saw Paris, Texas for the first time last night.

Up there with the best I movies I have ever seen. On a related note: Partly Fiction (Harry Dean Stanton documentary) premiered some days ago.

I've heard so many people rave about this movie and it's one of those ones I wish I could say I liked because of how much praise it's gotten, but when I watched it, I was so completely bored. I feel like I can usually appreciate movies like this, but I just didn't like it.

Just out of curiosity, what aspects did you like about it?

Irvine-Sucks.com

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #6440 on: November 16, 2013, 09:58:50 PM »

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #6441 on: November 17, 2013, 04:24:39 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I've heard so many people rave about this movie and it's one of those ones I wish I could say I liked because of how much praise it's gotten, but when I watched it, I was so completely bored. I feel like I can usually appreciate movies like this, but I just didn't like it.

your taste in everything sucks if you dont like that movie

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6442 on: November 17, 2013, 11:55:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Ya, fuck me for asking a legitimate question and not just saying I like a movie everyone's jerking it to.

Irvine-Sucks.com

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #6443 on: November 18, 2013, 01:31:41 AM »
It's a beautiful mood piece with a terrific performance from Dean Stanton. If you want to give Wim Wenders another go, I suggest watching Wings of Desire or the American Friend.

This was a decent HBO film.

swagdragon123

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -105
  • I take my internet usernames xtremly serious
    • HOBOHOGAN avatar image
« Reply #6444 on: November 18, 2013, 09:34:52 AM »

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6445 on: November 18, 2013, 09:45:19 AM »
Who's hyped on The Wolf Of Wall Sstreet?

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6446 on: November 18, 2013, 10:06:28 AM »
It's a beautiful mood piece with a terrific performance from Dean Stanton. If you want to give Wim Wenders another go, I suggest watching Wings of Desire or the American Friend.

This was a decent HBO film.

Thanks for your response Garth. Party on.

Irvine-Sucks.com

swagdragon123

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -105
  • I take my internet usernames xtremly serious
    • HOBOHOGAN avatar image
« Reply #6447 on: November 18, 2013, 05:27:32 PM »

funny as hell is right. makes me think of skateboarding and selling out and all that

excitableboy

• Rep: 90
« Reply #6448 on: November 18, 2013, 06:05:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Ya, fuck me for asking a legitimate question and not just saying I like a movie everyone's jerking it to.
I'll give this a shot, but usually I am hopeless in explaining the reasons behind my liking anything. To hide spoilers, as well as my sounding like a pretentious asshole, I'll just make the following white.

First off, what Garth said. Though I can see how the slow development of the story might seem boring, and a lot of what happened to Travis even remains a mystery altogether, his character was to me supremely convincing. It becomes almost annoying to watch him after a while, as there seems to be no good reason for his indifference to his brother. Those 'four missing years' felt like a kind of decoy to me, as if you were led to think something terrible happened to him that did not come from within himself. That's why the ending, the build up to which I think starts from about the moment they watch that footage of happier times, is so real. The stark contrast to the first half of the film, where his torment is mysterious, then proves in the end to be quite normal or even banal. That's just my take - Roger Ebert seems to have viewed this quite differently (his review is the only one I read afterwards). E.g.: I thought the scene in which Travis first 'meets' Jane served at least in part to show how their love really is doomed. After the second meeting in the booth, you realize that during that first conversation, where Jane was unaware (at least unsure) she was speaking to Travis, he displayed the same jealousy which tore them apart in the first place (in asking her about whether she goes home with customers, which Ebert says is not out of jealousy but is part of his 'forming a plan' - perhaps I am seeing this wrong then). Then there is the final dialogue, which I thought was a magnificent scene. The realness of it is just about the only way I can describe it right now. Plenty films depict love's path from bliss to doom but few do it as well as this one, devoid of sentimentality and with a fitting, bittersweet ending.

I just read back the above, my lousy attempt at film criticism. Should have just said this film is beautiful looking from start to finish.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 06:19:13 PM by excitableboy »

pencil

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -131
  • my other account is abudabi
« Reply #6449 on: November 18, 2013, 08:09:53 PM »
craigslist joe was aight
id definitely let that dominatrix bitch where some leather and do what she wants with me she was fine
would you rather read an abudabi post or have a screwdriver shoved up your ass?