Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 925202 times)

RCB3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 422
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #6450 on: November 18, 2013, 10:03:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Probably has been mentioned in this thread, but I saw Paris, Texas for the first time last night.

Up there with the best I movies I have ever seen. On a related note: Partly Fiction (Harry Dean Stanton documentary) premiered some days ago.
[close]

I've heard so many people rave about this movie and it's one of those ones I wish I could say I liked because of how much praise it's gotten, but when I watched it, I was so completely bored. I feel like I can usually appreciate movies like this, but I just didn't like it.

Just out of curiosity, what aspects did you like about it?
[close]

your taste in everything sucks if you dont like that movie
[close]

Ya, fuck me for asking a legitimate question and not just saying I like a movie everyone's jerking it to.
[close]
I'll give this a shot, but usually I am hopeless in explaining the reasons behind my liking anything. To hide spoilers, as well as my sounding like a pretentious asshole, I'll just make the following white.

First off, what Garth said. Though I can see how the slow development of the story might seem boring, and a lot of what happened to Travis even remains a mystery altogether, his character was to me supremely convincing. It becomes almost annoying to watch him after a while, as there seems to be no good reason for his indifference to his brother. Those 'four missing years' felt like a kind of decoy to me, as if you were led to think something terrible happened to him that did not come from within himself. That's why the ending, the build up to which I think starts from about the moment they watch that footage of happier times, is so real. The stark contrast to the first half of the film, where his torment is mysterious, then proves in the end to be quite normal or even banal. That's just my take - Roger Ebert seems to have viewed this quite differently (his review is the only one I read afterwards). E.g.: I thought the scene in which Travis first 'meets' Jane served at least in part to show how their love really is doomed. After the second meeting in the booth, you realize that during that first conversation, where Jane was unaware (at least unsure) she was speaking to Travis, he displayed the same jealousy which tore them apart in the first place (in asking her about whether she goes home with customers, which Ebert says is not out of jealousy but is part of his 'forming a plan' - perhaps I am seeing this wrong then). Then there is the final dialogue, which I thought was a magnificent scene. The realness of it is just about the only way I can describe it right now. Plenty films depict love's path from bliss to doom but few do it as well as this one, devoid of sentimentality and with a fitting, bittersweet ending.

I just read back the above, my lousy attempt at film criticism. Should have just said this film is beautiful looking from start to finish.

RIght on. I might have to give it another shot.

I just rewatched Sexy Beast and forgot how much I loved it. I think it's streaming on Netflix, so if you have the time, give it a go.

Irvine-Sucks.com

excitableboy

• Rep: 90
« Reply #6451 on: November 19, 2013, 05:00:28 AM »
I saw Sexy Beast not too long ago as well, randomly came across it on TV. Was a pleasant surprise.

Dog Tooth

Stoeipoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 53
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6452 on: November 19, 2013, 04:41:37 PM »

Pretty scary. Especially the part where my front door decided to open itself without a reason. No joke.
Bitches call me pussy, the horse filler.

Kanye Omari West

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -360
« Reply #6453 on: November 20, 2013, 06:36:00 PM »

Pretty scary. Especially the part where my front door decided to open itself without a reason. No joke.

So many people say this is a scary flick or mention it among other legit scary movies and I always get surprised

I saw it in theaters and it had me laughing in my seat I kid you not, especially when that old bitch puts on a gas mask and starts "talking to the dead", I was cracking up, shit is a joke of a movie son

That front door opening sounds creepy though

pencil

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -131
  • my other account is abudabi
« Reply #6454 on: November 20, 2013, 07:29:37 PM »
That front door thing just reminded me of a funny story. 

I'd just seen The Ring in the theater with my girlfriend and she was so freaked out that she left and sat in the lobby before it finished.  We went home and went to bed and the next morning when she sat up in bed, the TV popped on and it was static (she had just rolled onto the remote or something) and she screamed and then just started sobbing.  I made the exact wrong response by bursting out with laughter.

But yeah, Insidious wasn't scary or even that good.

i always try to watch these types of movies with the mindset im gonna get genuinely scared but it wears off so quickly that by the time its even remotely scary its overshadowed by all the other bullshit leading up to it
would you rather read an abudabi post or have a screwdriver shoved up your ass?

band

• Rep: 4
« Reply #6455 on: November 20, 2013, 07:39:13 PM »
movies are so weird

gay pride - proud to be gay

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 672
« Reply #6456 on: November 21, 2013, 01:21:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Probably has been mentioned in this thread, but I saw Paris, Texas for the first time last night.

Up there with the best I movies I have ever seen. On a related note: Partly Fiction (Harry Dean Stanton documentary) premiered some days ago.
[close]

I've heard so many people rave about this movie and it's one of those ones I wish I could say I liked because of how much praise it's gotten, but when I watched it, I was so completely bored. I feel like I can usually appreciate movies like this, but I just didn't like it.

Just out of curiosity, what aspects did you like about it?
[close]

your taste in everything sucks if you dont like that movie
[close]

Ya, fuck me for asking a legitimate question and not just saying I like a movie everyone's jerking it to.
[close]
I'll give this a shot, but usually I am hopeless in explaining the reasons behind my liking anything. To hide spoilers, as well as my sounding like a pretentious asshole, I'll just make the following white.

First off, what Garth said. Though I can see how the slow development of the story might seem boring, and a lot of what happened to Travis even remains a mystery altogether, his character was to me supremely convincing. It becomes almost annoying to watch him after a while, as there seems to be no good reason for his indifference to his brother. Those 'four missing years' felt like a kind of decoy to me, as if you were led to think something terrible happened to him that did not come from within himself. That's why the ending, the build up to which I think starts from about the moment they watch that footage of happier times, is so real. The stark contrast to the first half of the film, where his torment is mysterious, then proves in the end to be quite normal or even banal. That's just my take - Roger Ebert seems to have viewed this quite differently (his review is the only one I read afterwards). E.g.: I thought the scene in which Travis first 'meets' Jane served at least in part to show how their love really is doomed. After the second meeting in the booth, you realize that during that first conversation, where Jane was unaware (at least unsure) she was speaking to Travis, he displayed the same jealousy which tore them apart in the first place (in asking her about whether she goes home with customers, which Ebert says is not out of jealousy but is part of his 'forming a plan' - perhaps I am seeing this wrong then). Then there is the final dialogue, which I thought was a magnificent scene. The realness of it is just about the only way I can describe it right now. Plenty films depict love's path from bliss to doom but few do it as well as this one, devoid of sentimentality and with a fitting, bittersweet ending.

I just read back the above, my lousy attempt at film criticism. Should have just said this film is beautiful looking from start to finish.
[close]

RIght on. I might have to give it another shot.

I just rewatched Sexy Beast and forgot how much I loved it. I think it's streaming on Netflix, so if you have the time, give it a go.

The RY Cooder soundtrack to Paris, TX was fantastic.

If you like sexy beast, check out 44 inch chest with Ray Winstone. It's steaming on Netflix.
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #6457 on: November 24, 2013, 03:02:13 PM »

escapistfool

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #6458 on: November 29, 2013, 06:03:53 PM »
Since y'all are talking about movies that really scare the shit out of you, what are a few? I really wanna get scared out of my mind.

frisco

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #6459 on: November 29, 2013, 10:07:54 PM »
I saw The Conjuring last weekend and it definitely had some creepy moments. I was really digging the 70's aspect of it, the music, camerawork everything was really well done.

Gotta say The Shining still freaks me out. It is probably one of if not my favourite movie but the music is just way too intense at parts.

I don't watch too many scary movies, clearly since the Shining is on my list.

escapistfool

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #6460 on: November 29, 2013, 10:30:38 PM »
I saw The Conjuring last weekend and it definitely had some creepy moments. I was really digging the 70's aspect of it, the music, camerawork everything was really well done.

Gotta say The Shining still freaks me out. It is probably one of if not my favourite movie but the music is just way too intense at parts.

I don't watch too many scary movies, clearly since the Shining is on my list.

The Conjuring actually scared me. I saw it twice and it still scared me the second time. Really good movie.
The Shining is of course up there! Jack is just magnificent.

woodsman

• Rep: 65
« Reply #6461 on: November 30, 2013, 06:28:28 AM »
 I saw The Conjuring at a drive in out in the woods at 3am alone and high. Very scary.

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -606
« Reply #6462 on: November 30, 2013, 06:40:46 AM »
Saw Prisoners again, such a good movie, and recently saw Only God Forgives, pretty different movie.
I’m a ghost that everyone can see.

Stoeipoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 53
« Reply #6463 on: November 30, 2013, 06:47:03 AM »
Since y'all are talking about movies that really scare the shit out of you, what are a few? I really wanna get scared out of my mind.

Sinister is a nice one.
Bitches call me pussy, the horse filler.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #6464 on: November 30, 2013, 06:49:36 AM »
i think i've posted it here before, but Kill List is one of the more fucked up movies i've seen recently.  its on netflix
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #6465 on: November 30, 2013, 07:31:06 AM »
i think i've posted it here before, but Kill List is one of the more fucked up movies i've seen recently.  its on netflix

I just watched this two nights ago, and I agree.  Amazing movie, fucked up and completely unique.  If you mixed a hitman movie with the Wicker Man.  Awesome ending, too.

Just watched This Is England, highly enjoyable.  Good movie, good story, awesome music, FANTASTIC clothes, cute skinhead girls. I'll watch it again.

There's a few of these threads around... I always say the same thing but to me, the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre and The Exorcist are my personal picks. However for a scary/stay in your head I'd say go with the original Last House On The Left.  Still the most fucked up movie I've ever seen (Man Bites Dog a close second).

I definitely liked The Conjuring, House of the Devil was great.

StabMasterArson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 774
« Reply #6466 on: November 30, 2013, 08:12:34 AM »
Chillerama - OFFICIAL TRAILER

I don't know if its been discussed before, but "Chillerama" on Netflix is amazing, more importantly, the first short "wadzilla" a chilling tale of monster jizz that takes over new york city.

Greg Road

« Reply #6467 on: November 30, 2013, 09:07:45 AM »

Yes! I love this movie. What a gem it is. Sightseers (same director) is really good too. I saw his most recent movie, A Field in England I think it's called, it was different and I didn't enjoy it as much as his other 2 films. Definitely a quality director though to follow.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6468 on: November 30, 2013, 09:14:46 AM »
i just saw "a Field in England" too.  I liked it, but it wasn't as crazy.  more of an atmospheric, psychedelic film.  got the soundtrack on cassette though, it's really great.  

also just saw 'Iceman" last night.  Michael Shannon needs an Oscar at some point in his life. 

6feetdeep

• Rep: -1
« Reply #6469 on: November 30, 2013, 12:31:45 PM »
I wouldn't say The Conjuring scared me, but it was definitely well done and one of the better haunted house/possession movies I've seen in awhile.  Picking a "scary" movie is kinda tough.  If I wanna get creeped out, I tend to go for more psychological thriller types.  Fucked up shit that just sticks with you for awhile.  I'd pick I Saw The Devil, Martyrs, Irreversible, High Tension and Funny Games are all ones I immediately think of that a re a bit more recent.
If you liked Irreversible you should also check out I stand alone by Gaspar No?, pretty good too.

LesbianPUNCH

• Rep: 25
« Reply #6470 on: November 30, 2013, 07:52:27 PM »
Just watched the first Hunger Games out of curiosity on Netflix.  It was fairly entertaining, and better than I'd expected it to be which isn't saying much.  Wrote it off as another teenaged Twilight waste of time initially, but now I'm kind of a fan and look forward to the sequel.  I'm torn though, I might pick up the books before I see any more of the films. 

Rockin Robbin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 416
« Reply #6471 on: November 30, 2013, 10:19:15 PM »
"Bake me a pie of love" - Steve Winwood

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #6472 on: December 01, 2013, 01:18:57 AM »
Just watched Clockers for the first time on Netflix. Met the old dude with the moustache somewhere. It's funny cuz he's in mad movies but he's a regular ass dude. Works in a deli or some shit.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6473 on: December 02, 2013, 07:48:07 PM »
House of Pleasures:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKI4xz2OA8g

on netflix

frisco

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #6474 on: December 02, 2013, 08:01:08 PM »
On scary movies again, I saw "The Descent" this weekend and really liked it. I missed it when it was first released but heard a bit of hype about it, I'm somewhat claustrophobic so a few scenes really got to me, it was well done though.

Anytime I watch a shitty movie on Netflix I'll throw on one of these two, if nothing else to remind me that great movies can be made

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 422
« Reply #6475 on: December 02, 2013, 10:24:29 PM »
On scary movies again, I saw "The Descent" this weekend and really liked it. I missed it when it was first released but heard a bit of hype about it, I'm somewhat claustrophobic so a few scenes really got to me, it was well done though.

Anytime I watch a shitty movie on Netflix I'll throw on one of these two, if nothing else to remind me that great movies can be made

Damn, I've never seen that version of the cover for No Country for Old Men. Looks badass.

Irvine-Sucks.com

Kanye Omari West

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -360
« Reply #6476 on: December 04, 2013, 12:41:21 AM »
She's All That

Typical 90s teen shit, I ain't mad at it, randomly saw Paul Walker in it though, shit was strange

Harem

« Reply #6477 on: December 04, 2013, 01:21:10 AM »

Fucking loved this. Totally went with no expectations. Really loved it. James McAvoy fanboy for sure.

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #6478 on: December 04, 2013, 01:44:01 AM »
House of Pleasures:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKI4xz2OA8g

on netflix

Do you speak French or did you read the subtitles.

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #6479 on: December 04, 2013, 05:29:44 AM »

Waltz with Bashir. Hadn't seen it since it first came out. Doesn't ease one's misantrophy, that's for sure.