Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 925566 times)

Sgt.Pepper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -167
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #6600 on: January 11, 2014, 09:27:11 PM »
"I'd be a teenage virgin, jerking off in my bedroom
 if I wasnt a 20 year old virgin that didn't have a bedroom."

ROCKxADIO420

« Reply #6601 on: January 12, 2014, 07:20:52 AM »
i tried to get drunk and watch wolf of wallstreet but blacked out halfway through that shits too long!

poorlatino

• Rep: 41
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6602 on: January 12, 2014, 09:35:31 AM »
i tried to get drunk and watch wolf of wallstreet but blacked out halfway through that shits too long!

So good tho, they really went for it with the drugs and f word. Great movie

pekkaaa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 234
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6603 on: January 12, 2014, 01:54:46 PM »
Just saw "Her", really good movie.

By the way, did anyone catch Koston's cameo?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 02:33:41 PM by pekkaaa »

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #6604 on: January 12, 2014, 06:46:26 PM »
Just saw "Her", really good movie.

By the way, did anyone catch Koston's cameo?

ya forgot what he looks like without a 5-panel on

LesbianPUNCH

• Rep: 25
« Reply #6605 on: January 12, 2014, 10:34:15 PM »
Yeah, Her was amazing.  Just saw it two hours ago.  One of the most well-acted films I've seen in a minute.  Very funny, emotional charged.  I love films where I leave the theater in silence, chewing on the residual splendor of fine craftsmanship.  The soundtrack was very atmospheric and pleasant as well. 

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #6606 on: January 13, 2014, 06:48:02 AM »
Saw Inside Llweyn Davis.  It had some potential, but pretty much sucked.  I don't think I enjoy movies very much anymore.

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 422
« Reply #6607 on: January 13, 2014, 10:41:55 AM »
I finally got around to seeing The Place Beyond The Pines and I loved it. I feel like there were so many layers to it and I've been thinking about it all day. I love movies that lead to great discussions about its meaning.

Irvine-Sucks.com

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6608 on: January 13, 2014, 11:05:31 AM »
Saw Blue Jasmine last night. Movie was good even though the story was kind of whatever but I always like movies that take place in SF and you just see the odd things in it. Cate Blanchett can sure act her ass off. She totally deserved the Golden Globe last night.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

LesbianPUNCH

« Reply #6609 on: January 13, 2014, 02:05:46 PM »
The Coen Brothers are hit and miss for me.  I think their films are wonderfully crafted, the scripts are usually hilarious, thoughtful and unique, but I feel like they rely on ambiguity as a stylistic staple a bit too heavily.  Case in point, A serious Man, No Country, Barton Fink, and I'm sure a few others I'm not thinking of, just kind of meander along and right into the credits, where you're left trying to piece together bits and pieces to come up with some kind of comprehensive statement, usually disappointingly.  Don't get me wrong, I love the above films, and perhaps am out of line listing No Country in there, but for the laymen going into a Coen Bro's film with no context for their previous work, you're left scratching your head at the end. 

Haven't seen Inside Llewyn Davis yet.  From what I've gathered, I'm probably in store for more of the same ambiguity, the abrupt ending, the head scratching.

thepman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -94
« Reply #6610 on: January 13, 2014, 02:07:56 PM »
12 Years A Slave, both Fassbender and Ejiofor put in superb performances. In my opinion it's one of the most important films in years.
skating is all about choosing your outfit very deliberately, going out in public. looking super sick. and then riding your board a little bit

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6611 on: January 13, 2014, 02:44:14 PM »
Meh.  Not going to bother.  Why is making a film about the horrors of slavery any different now then it was 10, 20, 50 years ago?  -Edit.  Well they didn't make many films about this 50 years ago but...nevermind, I personally just don't really want to sit through a bunch of whipping and raping in my free time.  I already have a healthy enough level of the white man's guilt.

LesbianPUNCH, you pretty much nailed Inside Llewyn Davis without even seeing it.  There are a few laughs, some scattered witty dialogue, a whole lot of atmosphere, yet it fails to deliver anything of substance.  They managed to waste so much time building potential directions that the film could take, only to pass them by intentionally, bringing the film back to the same path it started on and then it's over.  Sometimes I enjoy a good head scratching movie.  PT Anderson, does it well, the Coen brothers, do not.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 02:57:14 PM by chockfullofthat »

LesbianPUNCH

« Reply #6612 on: January 13, 2014, 03:19:11 PM »
Yes.  Paul Thomas Anderson can get away with the ambiguous nature of his narratives, because the journey he takes you on in his films is so strange and beautiful.  I think you could probably chalk that up in part to the strength of the actors in his films.  Daniel Day-Lewis, Paul Dano (a bit overdone but still strong,) Philip Seymour Hoffman, Amy Adams, and Joaquin Phoenix (who is quickly becoming one of my favorite actors in modern cinema.  I love that he literally obliterated his own career for a faux-documentary of self-destruction, only to come back and star in some of the better movies in recent memory.) 

Back to the point, the Coen's are kind of wearing my patience thin.  Hell, I'll take whatever they offer in the hopes that another Raising Arizona, Burn After Reading, Fargo, or No Country looms around the corner.  Revelation:  Coens, let's see another comedy.  You do them so well. 

pencil

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -131
  • my other account is abudabi
« Reply #6613 on: January 13, 2014, 04:13:28 PM »
Yes.  Paul Thomas Anderson can get away with the ambiguous nature of his narratives, because the journey he takes you on in his films is so strange and beautiful.  I think you could probably chalk that up in part to the strength of the actors in his films.  Daniel Day-Lewis, Paul Dano (a bit overdone but still strong,) Philip Seymour Hoffman, Amy Adams, and Joaquin Phoenix (who is quickly becoming one of my favorite actors in modern cinema.  I love that he literally obliterated his own career for a faux-documentary of self-destruction, only to come back and star in some of the better movies in recent memory.) 

Back to the point, the Coen's are kind of wearing my patience thin.  Hell, I'll take whatever they offer in the hopes that another Raising Arizona, Burn After Reading, Fargo, or No Country looms around the corner.  Revelation:  Coens, let's see another comedy.  You do them so well. 

lol wtf, not refuting your opinion but just stating my own that you liked seeing his dick in that movie
would you rather read an abudabi post or have a screwdriver shoved up your ass?

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 672
« Reply #6614 on: January 13, 2014, 04:28:13 PM »
I haven't caught Llewyn Davis yet, but I see what everyone is saying somewhat. I thought a serious man and true grit were fantastic though. Barton Fink I think was their miss for me. Seemed like a lot of inside jokes I didn't quite get.

Hearing "hateful 8" is the new Tarantino project...
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

thepman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -94
« Reply #6615 on: January 14, 2014, 04:33:17 AM »
Meh.  Not going to bother.  Why is making a film about the horrors of slavery any different now then it was 10, 20, 50 years ago?  -Edit.  Well they didn't make many films about this 50 years ago but...nevermind, I personally just don't really want to sit through a bunch of whipping and raping in my free time.  I already have a healthy enough level of the white man's guilt.

In that case see it for the story and the performances, wouldn't judge it till you've watched it.
skating is all about choosing your outfit very deliberately, going out in public. looking super sick. and then riding your board a little bit

my pregnant head

• Rep: 13
« Reply #6616 on: January 14, 2014, 04:53:26 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

In that case see it for the story and the performances, wouldn't judge it till you've watched it.

Agreed. Especially since you mentioned you dig P.T Anderson. Check out 12 years, it's for sure the best thing I've seen this year.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6617 on: January 14, 2014, 06:08:50 AM »
Alright.  I will give it a shot one day, because I liked Shame.

esoesloco

• Rep: -5
« Reply #6618 on: January 14, 2014, 05:21:45 PM »
I finally got around to seeing The Place Beyond The Pines and I loved it. I feel like there were so many layers to it and I've been thinking about it all day. I love movies that lead to great discussions about its meaning.

Yeah, it really was one of the greatest Ive seen in a long time - nothing was overstated and the narrative and acting were flawless, really loved what the director chose to show and what to not overdramatize.  I was in awe for most of the movie, wonder why they didnt release it closer to awards season, seems lots of lesser films are getting hype - would be awesmoe to see Pines get best picture. Its a film that "haunts" one after in a good way and really pushes the audience into a contemplative space after viewing. check out some of the interviews with Derek Cianfrance about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V55bE-ikodg

esoesloco

• Rep: -5
« Reply #6619 on: January 14, 2014, 05:34:12 PM »
The Wolf of Wall Street   :o

did not expect much from this one due to the trailer and Scorsese's latest flicks not really doing much for me (except The Departed which was fucking incredible)...but this movie was ridiculously entertaining and very well acted and directed.  There is no way this kind of film would have been released 15-20 years ago it is so raw and explores some of the most vile fucked up characters ever depicted in a mainstream film.  Really put the depraved Wall Street coke culture on display (Goldman Sachs, fuck you!).  Jonah Hill was disgusting and hilarious, really cool to see him branching out into new territory as a character actor, he must have be hyped to work on this one I can see it will open up lots of new opportunities for him.  Dicaprio was great as well.  GET THE LUDES!!!!  Yacht scene was awesome, and the long shot after Dicaprio's "I Aint Leavin" speech was ridiculous.

I was surprised a film like this was funded and produced, made me wonder if Hollywood will ever put out an expose on this level concerning the attitudes and lives of some of the "old money" aristocratic class in America and Europe- doubt it

Rumpleforeskin

« Reply #6620 on: January 14, 2014, 09:24:15 PM »
Fuck "Her".  But seriously, I cried.  Spike Jonze made one of the most touching films I've ever seen.  Goddamn, to think that dude started out in Sonic Youth music videos and photographing Jeremy Klein.  Now he makes masterpieces that make you think about life and shit...  Fuck you, Spike, you damn genius.

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 422
« Reply #6621 on: January 15, 2014, 11:30:27 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah, it really was one of the greatest Ive seen in a long time - nothing was overstated and the narrative and acting were flawless, really loved what the director chose to show and what to not overdramatize.  I was in awe for most of the movie, wonder why they didnt release it closer to awards season, seems lots of lesser films are getting hype - would be awesmoe to see Pines get best picture. Its a film that "haunts" one after in a good way and really pushes the audience into a contemplative space after viewing. check out some of the interviews with Derek Cianfrance about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V55bE-ikodg

Thanks for that link. I really enjoyed listening to his dedication and ideas with the film. I loved how insistent he was on how specific the actors had to be for each role.

Irvine-Sucks.com

Greg Road

« Reply #6622 on: January 15, 2014, 03:41:43 PM »
Wolf of Wall Street and Dallas Buyers Club - both really good.

okdad

• Rep: 16
« Reply #6623 on: January 15, 2014, 04:41:01 PM »
I saw Her the other day, incredible film. I love the movie's take on future technology and how technology plays into society. The mise en scene is amazing in all aspects. I recommend seeing it.
Who are you to judge what kinds of cocks he wants to suck?

Salty Lame Ass Poosey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -265
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #6624 on: January 15, 2014, 05:24:13 PM »
The wild life with christopher penn & eric stoltz
Skateboarding don't owe you shit but wheel bite in the rain -Jake Pheps

Filip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
« Reply #6625 on: January 16, 2014, 12:57:27 AM »
I watched The Internship yesterday.. Kinda stupid, but I still liked. Not something I would watch again, but if you have nothing else to do, Its kinda funny.

Rockin Robbin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 416
« Reply #6626 on: January 16, 2014, 01:18:37 AM »
"Bake me a pie of love" - Steve Winwood

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #6627 on: January 16, 2014, 10:38:11 AM »
Fuck "Her".  But seriously, I cried.  Spike Jonze made one of the most touching films I've ever seen.  Goddamn, to think that dude started out in Sonic Youth music videos and photographing Jeremy Klein.  Now he makes masterpieces that make you think about life and shit...  Fuck you, Spike, you damn genius.

yeah. it disgusts me how talented he is.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

Tufty

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -26
« Reply #6628 on: January 16, 2014, 10:57:17 AM »

Rumpleforeskin

« Reply #6629 on: January 17, 2014, 12:42:22 AM »
I finally got so seeing Fruitvale Station tonight.  Such a powerful film.  Cannot believe the Oscars totally snubbed it this year..