Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 925680 times)

Kanye Omari West

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -360
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #6660 on: January 30, 2014, 10:44:18 PM »
LOOK AT ALL MAH SHEEYIT!

Wasnt expecting such a deep experience from watching this movie, but I was blown away this is a seriously innovative film with so many levels of analysis that could be studied - didnt expect anything from this film but was WOW-ing the whole time. 

*SPOILERS_

Can see people critiquing the 'unrealistic' ending and the lack of tangible motives for the two blonde chicks, but it makes perfect sense if you look at them as they are literally described earlier in the film by Selena Gomez' Christian friend as having "demon blood".  These girls flow through the experience like spiritual forces, they are literal 'demons' with no real human motivation, instinctively spreading death and tempting other characters into givign up their lives ("you'll have all the money and power you could ever dream of" they tell her).  Characters through their own free will choose whether or not to give into these destructive forces that ultimately lead to loss of their life (greed, lust, etc).  Thats just my view on it, was so impressed with everything about this film, people will look at it as a historical piece of film decades down the line, it really captures the zeitgeist of my generation and tricks them to willingly rub their own nose in it.  Fucking spectacular film that Im sure so many hate for all the reasons I enjoyed it

Spring Breakers Video Clip HD James Franco Selena Gomez

Had a friend that pretty much lost his fucking mind over how great he thought this was

It was enjoyable for sure though, but the sex scene with gucci mane and the bitch with the cellulite, jelly ass was disgusting

frisco

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #6661 on: January 31, 2014, 02:10:20 AM »

Dallas Buyers Club

Best movie I've seen this year

Granka

• Rep: 2
« Reply #6662 on: January 31, 2014, 02:45:33 AM »

8/10 from me to both movies.

esoesloco

• Rep: -5
« Reply #6663 on: January 31, 2014, 10:55:19 PM »
Expand Quote
LOOK AT ALL MAH SHEEYIT!

Wasnt expecting such a deep experience from watching this movie, but I was blown away this is a seriously innovative film with so many levels of analysis that could be studied - didnt expect anything from this film but was WOW-ing the whole time. 

*SPOILERS_

Can see people critiquing the 'unrealistic' ending and the lack of tangible motives for the two blonde chicks, but it makes perfect sense if you look at them as they are literally described earlier in the film by Selena Gomez' Christian friend as having "demon blood".  These girls flow through the experience like spiritual forces, they are literal 'demons' with no real human motivation, instinctively spreading death and tempting other characters into givign up their lives ("you'll have all the money and power you could ever dream of" they tell her).  Characters through their own free will choose whether or not to give into these destructive forces that ultimately lead to loss of their life (greed, lust, etc).  Thats just my view on it, was so impressed with everything about this film, people will look at it as a historical piece of film decades down the line, it really captures the zeitgeist of my generation and tricks them to willingly rub their own nose in it.  Fucking spectacular film that Im sure so many hate for all the reasons I enjoyed it

[close]

Had a friend that pretty much lost his fucking mind over how great he thought this was

It was enjoyable for sure though, but the sex scene with gucci mane and the bitch with the cellulite, jelly ass was disgusting

HAHA yea that was really vile, to me it seemed much of the vibe of the nudity and sex in the film had an intentionally dark cringe-worthy feel adn energy, especially the opening mtv-esque partying shots of the kids acting like regular animals.  All the sexuality had this really slimy feeling like watching something spiritually twisted, like snakes writhing around eachother in music video slow motion.  The film created such a specific vibe and atmosphere - felt like it was a guerrilla warfare bait and switch mindfucker aimed at my generation...smell the glove kinda shit

Mr.Gear

• Rep: 0
« Reply #6664 on: February 01, 2014, 03:38:00 AM »
Just watched Her last night and at first I wasn't too sure if I would like it but I was blown away on how good it was. Joaquin Phoniex is truly an amazing actor, I've  been a fan since he played Cash in Walk The Line & I really liked Spike Jonze's take on the look of the future he made it seem more realistic and believable rather than go the flying cars and robots route.

Totally agree with the bold. The only depiction of a car was the taxi that the "human representation of Samantha" got in... and we only saw the back panel and window. The sound of it taking off wasn't exactly electric either. Clever... as trying to depict cars of the future is a very damning issue for films set in the future. A lot of the technology was great too... aside from the OS 1, I dont buy that as a plausible technological forecast for a second. The costumes were great too (and i usually wouldn't notice that). Anyone know where it was filmed? I'm assuming most of it was in China? I could probably just look it up...but fuck it.

I was a tiny bit let down by "her" for the same reason others had mentioned... I was just a little too hyped for it I think. But I certainly enjoyed it and would recommend people watch it. ALSO Did people catch the Koston cameo? about 2 seconds on screen with Joaquin?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 03:42:07 AM by Mr.Gear »

Kanye Omari West

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6665 on: February 01, 2014, 07:04:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
LOOK AT ALL MAH SHEEYIT!

*SPOILERS_

[close]

[close]

HAHA yea that was really vile, to me it seemed much of the vibe of the nudity and sex in the film had an intentionally dark cringe-worthy feel adn energy, especially the opening mtv-esque partying shots of the kids acting like regular animals.  All the sexuality had this really slimy feeling like watching something spiritually twisted, like snakes writhing around eachother in music video slow motion.  The film created such a specific vibe and atmosphere - felt like it was a guerrilla warfare bait and switch mindfucker aimed at my generation...smell the glove kinda shit

Yea, I think that's why he liked it too, it kind of mocked that whole cliche of MTV spring break and had some sort of 2013 Scarface reboot thrown in, it was interesting, and they can say what they want about it, but the dudes that made that shit were trying to make James Franco into Riff Raff lmao

tobey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #6666 on: February 01, 2014, 07:33:07 PM »
Any other netflix suggestions?
this is on netflix? ill have to give it a try because i have been watching boardwalk empire and that dude is an amazing actor

Edit: the last good movie i saw was raging bull with robert de niro, thats on netflix.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 07:35:06 PM by tobey »

Frosty178

• Rep: 6
« Reply #6667 on: February 02, 2014, 10:10:28 AM »
I watched The Raid today. Pretty fucking good.

Some awesome deaths, dudes inventive for sure.

silkyjohnson

« Reply #6668 on: February 06, 2014, 05:01:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Just watched Her last night and at first I wasn't too sure if I would like it but I was blown away on how good it was. Joaquin Phoniex is truly an amazing actor, I've  been a fan since he played Cash in Walk The Line & I really liked Spike Jonze's take on the look of the future he made it seem more realistic and believable rather than go the flying cars and robots route.
[close]
ALSO Did people catch the Koston cameo? about 2 seconds on screen with Joaquin?

StabMasterArson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 774
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6669 on: February 06, 2014, 06:11:15 AM »
Well that about equals his footage for the last few years.

kilgore.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6670 on: February 08, 2014, 01:50:42 PM »
No holds barred, til labias say "free us"
then its straight to your kids' school, wine coolers in the Prius

arthurspooner

• Rep: 9
« Reply #6671 on: February 08, 2014, 02:20:02 PM »
Just watched Synecdoche, New York for the eighth or ninth time last night. Best movie of all time.

A.A

• Rep: -52
« Reply #6672 on: February 08, 2014, 04:11:49 PM »

That was laugh out loud funny. I lol'd

Watched a few movies lately

Wolf of wall - 8/10
Carrie - 7/10
Bad grandpa - 2/10
American hustle - 3/10
Twin Perks

Rumpleforeskin

« Reply #6673 on: February 09, 2014, 06:50:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That was laugh out loud funny. I lol'd

Watched a few movies lately

Wolf of wall - 8/10
Carrie - 7/10
Bad grandpa - 2/10
American hustle - 3/10
Why didn't you like American Hustle?  It was one of my favorites to come out last year.  Oh yeah, this

esoesloco

« Reply #6674 on: February 24, 2014, 11:22:15 AM »
So I had to write a review/analysis/blogpost on "Spring Breakers" since noone seems to think it's as incredible a piece of film as I did.  let me know what you think, was fun to write

http://thoughtsfornought.wordpress.com/2014/02/23/spring-breakers-by-harmony-korine-the-most-hated-and-greatest-film-of-the-year/

Exposure

• Rep: -269
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6675 on: February 24, 2014, 12:33:13 PM »
Really good analysis dude. It's so true that many people did not understand this movie AT ALL. It's amazing how something as simple as color could play such a huge role in a movie. Some people I know thought it was just a meaningless movie with no plot besides violence and sex, how ironic it is that the people that thought this are the same empty pop culture products of modern America that this film is commenting on...
I can ollie 6 decks why would I want to scrape the ground with my tricks

esoesloco

« Reply #6676 on: February 24, 2014, 02:37:46 PM »
Really good analysis dude. It's so true that many people did not understand this movie AT ALL. It's amazing how something as simple as color could play such a huge role in a movie. Some people I know thought it was just a meaningless movie with no plot besides violence and sex, how ironic it is that the people that thought this are the same empty pop culture products of modern America that this film is commenting on...

right on man, thanks for reading it.  That post would have gone waaaay longer if i didnt have a job/family/life, that film seriously blew my mind.  So much going on under the surface and around the borders of it...I seriously wish I could watch it again for the first time because it had me thinking/feeling more than any film Ive seen in a looooong time.  "Sprign Breakers" and "The Place Beyond the Pines" were seriously overlooked and did way more for me than any of the 'nominated' films this year.  Im glad Jonah Hill got a nom, but Franco's character is an instant classic...shit I thought Bradley Cooper in "pines" was better than most all the performances nominated.  Too bad the Academy Awards scene is more about who is the most popular among certain crowds (aka who can ess a good dee)

Kanye Omari West

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6677 on: February 25, 2014, 05:29:23 PM »
Spring Breakers had a lot going on for sure. Audiences were basically looking at caricatures of 90s babies in white America and it seems they didn't grasp that. I couldn't put my finger on what it was about the movie exactly upon watching it, but there was definitely something different with the energy throughout it. It was like looking at some really fucked up drawing of a clown whereas it's something that originally is supposed to make you laugh but it's twisted and distorted into some kind of nightmare and you don't realize what started out as 30 second TRL videos and YOLO extrapolates into this mindset. My homeboy was like hooked on the film but he didn't know why per say either, so you put a lot of things into well elaborated text and it's pretty accurate. People don't realize that they're staring at themselves and it's crazy that they're oblivious to it all. Long story short, dope write up.

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #6678 on: March 23, 2014, 10:36:58 PM »
holy shit, the canyons fucking sucks. the highlights are lindsey lohans tits, but everyone's seen those by now. 

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #6679 on: March 24, 2014, 09:03:40 AM »
Watched Turbo Fast on netflix. good if u like animated movies.

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #6680 on: March 24, 2014, 11:41:26 AM »
Anything I watched that wasn't the Ben Stiller Walter Mitty disaster. What an empty mess of a movie.

shark tits

« Reply #6681 on: March 24, 2014, 12:54:04 PM »
it's been a while but this is the greatest movie of the 90s. there's a moral at the end but prior to that it's 2 hours of slapstick. i find it to be a travesty of justice that flip dawg is not a household name.
Whiteboyz - trailer (1999)

pekkaaa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 234
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6682 on: March 24, 2014, 04:58:51 PM »

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #6684 on: March 24, 2014, 05:57:23 PM »
Watched Last Action Hero on netflix. Timeless classic.

Jared

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
  • Die Slow
« Reply #6685 on: March 24, 2014, 08:44:38 PM »
Room 237 was pretty interesting.

harrison ford invented the first car, in America

Exposure

• Rep: -269
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6686 on: March 24, 2014, 09:31:44 PM »
Room 237 was pretty interesting.

One of the best things I've ever seen on Netflix.
I can ollie 6 decks why would I want to scrape the ground with my tricks

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #6687 on: March 25, 2014, 11:40:58 AM »
soundtrack to that is sooooooooo great
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 672
« Reply #6688 on: March 26, 2014, 04:17:25 PM »
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #6689 on: March 26, 2014, 06:15:04 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Loved this movie and if your a fan of Wes Anderson's work it is a definite must see. Ralph Fiennes fit perfectly into his world.