Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 925204 times)

Ollie Ringwald

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -3
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #6690 on: March 26, 2014, 11:14:57 PM »
This was way better than I was expecting.

shark tits

« Reply #6691 on: March 27, 2014, 06:08:02 AM »
This was way better than I was expecting.

no idea they made a movie of that. the book was pretty good, be careful what you pretend to be.

arthurspooner

• Rep: 9
« Reply #6692 on: March 29, 2014, 06:16:39 PM »
I just got back from seeing "Enemy." Holy shit. That movie was fantastic. I can't wait until that comes out on DVD

A.A

• Rep: -52
« Reply #6693 on: March 30, 2014, 11:09:40 PM »
holy shit, the canyons fucking sucks. the highlights are lindsey lohans tits, but everyone's seen those by now. 

Dude it was so bad.  Like really bad.

Wasn't it a Brett Easton Ellis book?  I'm still yet to watch less than zero as well.
Twin Perks

LesbianPUNCH

• Rep: 25
« Reply #6694 on: March 31, 2014, 11:12:36 PM »
Saw Noah.  Pretty imaginative.  Felt like an atmospheric melding of The Road and The Lord of the Rings.  Bleak and beautiful.  Some of the sequences melted my face off with their wonderful execution.

weepee

« Reply #6695 on: April 06, 2014, 11:54:02 PM »
the raid 2, go see it

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #6696 on: April 07, 2014, 06:47:18 AM »
Expand Quote

Loved this movie and if your a fan of Wes Anderson's work it is a definite must see. Ralph Fiennes fit perfectly into his world.

saw this last week with my girl. we both enjoyed it a lot. i didnt think the story was one of his bests, but still good. everything else was fantastic though. the cinematography was outstanding, one of his best in my opinion. it couldve been a silent movie and still been great because it was filmed so beautifully.

piece of shit, straight up.

• Rep: -182
« Reply #6697 on: April 08, 2014, 12:53:20 AM »
Probably the best film of the 2000's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp2ppYB9fDo

Also saw Nymphomaniac, which was one of the worst. Lars Von Trier is shit.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 01:04:22 AM by Whatitdo? »

Harem

« Reply #6698 on: April 08, 2014, 12:57:34 AM »
I just watched a trailer for Nymphomaniac, while sitting through it I kept wondering, "how much money would I need to be paid to agree to see this movie in the theater?" iI couldn't settle on a definite sum but it'd definitely need to be in the ballpark of $50-60, minimum. It's too bad Trier doesn't even have 1 or 2 old friends/cronies whose opinion he trusts that could be like, really genuine, "Lars, seriously, you're an idiot. Between you and me, stop writing down a single sentence." it blows my mind civilised people are impressed by him. He's like the GG Allin of film ? which isn't a compliment.

piece of shit, straight up.

• Rep: -182
« Reply #6699 on: April 08, 2014, 01:00:11 AM »
I just watched a trailer for Nymphomaniac, while sitting through it I kept wondering, "how much money would I need to be paid to agree to see this movie in the theater?" iI couldn't settle on a definite sum but it'd definitely need to be in the ballpark of $50-60, minimum. It's too bad Trier doesn't even have 1 or 2 old friends/cronies whose opinion he trusts that could be like, really genuine, "Lars, seriously, you're an idiot. Between you and me, stop writing down a single sentence." it blows my mind civilised people are impressed by him. He's like the GG Allin of film ? which isn't a compliment.

Nah even GG Allin has some good songs and he doesn't think he is an intellectual.

Rumpleforeskin

« Reply #6700 on: April 11, 2014, 01:31:27 PM »
Pootie Tang.

esoesloco

• Rep: -5
« Reply #6701 on: April 11, 2014, 05:24:13 PM »
Probably the best film of the 2000's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp2ppYB9fDo

Also saw Nymphomaniac, which was one of the worst. Lars Von Trier is shit.

Yea , The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford was amazing - been meaning to watch it again.  Made me reallylike Casey Affleck as an actor - he played a snivelling little bitchweasel perfectly

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6702 on: April 11, 2014, 05:52:39 PM »
Pootie Tang.
I saw this in the theater when it came out.  It was me and my friend in the whole theater.  People don't know shit.

esoesloco

• Rep: -5
« Reply #6703 on: April 12, 2014, 01:44:30 PM »
True Grit, Horrible Bosses

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
« Reply #6704 on: April 12, 2014, 10:20:26 PM »
Wolf of Wall Street
American hustle
King of comedy, not the stand up special. It's an older movie with Robert deniro, really good.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

Yu Dum

« Reply #6705 on: April 12, 2014, 11:19:06 PM »
Gravity is the most intense movie ever.

Madam, I'm Adam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #6706 on: April 13, 2014, 01:38:00 AM »
King of comedy, not the stand up special. It's an older movie with Robert deniro, really good.
Liked it as well.  Actually first heard of it through skateboarding, there was an edit that I believe Greg Hunt made of some old, unseen Mike Daher and Ethan Fowler footage, and there were clips from King of Comedy throughout it.

I saw Hunger awhile ago but it really is pretty much the last good movie I've seen: 

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6707 on: April 15, 2014, 01:35:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Really good analysis dude. It's so true that many people did not understand this movie AT ALL. It's amazing how something as simple as color could play such a huge role in a movie. Some people I know thought it was just a meaningless movie with no plot besides violence and sex, how ironic it is that the people that thought this are the same empty pop culture products of modern America that this film is commenting on...
[close]

right on man, thanks for reading it.  That post would have gone waaaay longer if i didnt have a job/family/life, that film seriously blew my mind.  So much going on under the surface and around the borders of it...I seriously wish I could watch it again for the first time because it had me thinking/feeling more than any film Ive seen in a looooong time.  "Sprign Breakers" and "The Place Beyond the Pines" were seriously overlooked and did way more for me than any of the 'nominated' films this year.  Im glad Jonah Hill got a nom, but Franco's character is an instant classic...shit I thought Bradley Cooper in "pines" was better than most all the performances nominated.  Too bad the Academy Awards scene is more about who is the most popular among certain crowds (aka who can ess a good dee)

i rented spring breakers just because it was brought up on here. when i first heard about it, it was on vice and they were plugging it super hard and it thought it looked pretty regular. i didnt even take the time to consider the satire. anyway, i watched it last night and thought it was amazing. easily the best movie ive seen in a while. im just coming out of that age group that the girls are in, so i feel like it was really relatable for me. i was never too when i was younger crazy, but if you wouldve asked me at 19 what i thought of that movie, i wouldve probably said that i wished i couldve been in it. the part where theyre in the hotel totally wrecking the place, if i were there a few years ago, i wouldve LOVED that shit when i was a shitty 19 year old. the movie captures that generation perfectly i think. the soundtrack. the slow mo shots that look like a music video. all the fake lighting. it was all perfect. i have to say my favorite scene was when alien picked up the girls from jail and took them to the spot where gucci and all the black guys were at and selina freaked out. everything about that was perfect. and i totally wouldve given gucci an oscar just for playing himself. when he pulled up to alien and the girls on the street, then drove away yelling BURRR as his bitch shot up their car was fucking hilarious. amazing movie.

i also rented wolf on wall street and thought it was kind of boring. the acting was great and the story wasnt bad, but it was way too long and the plot has been done a million times. young guy comes up and gets a taste of some illegal money, figures out a way to do it better and becomes super rich and powerful, does tons of drugs, fucks tons of women, and eventually gets caught. whether or not he dies, or comes out ok like in WOWS doesnt really matter to me. maybe i missed something with it but to me it was very dry. three hours of knowing exactly whats going to happen.

iSk84thechicas

• Rep: -47
  • Thats right - Her AND her cousin
« Reply #6708 on: April 15, 2014, 11:45:04 PM »

-"...Because we all know if Baker were Guns N Roses, Braydon would be Steven Adler..."

- "When I'm not getting laid , I'm hauling myself down a 5 flat 5....Time to man up son!"

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 672
« Reply #6709 on: April 16, 2014, 06:56:39 PM »
no idea why I didn't watch this sooner...
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #6710 on: April 16, 2014, 07:00:42 PM »
It's a deal, it's a steal, it's the sale of the fucking century.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

abraham linksys

• Rep: 1
« Reply #6711 on: April 23, 2014, 12:12:29 AM »

I was pretty confused but I got it now. was real good enjoyed the filming and the score but mother fuck spiders.

Kanye Omari West

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -360
« Reply #6712 on: April 23, 2014, 06:01:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Really good analysis dude. It's so true that many people did not understand this movie AT ALL. It's amazing how something as simple as color could play such a huge role in a movie. Some people I know thought it was just a meaningless movie with no plot besides violence and sex, how ironic it is that the people that thought this are the same empty pop culture products of modern America that this film is commenting on...
[close]

right on man, thanks for reading it.  That post would have gone waaaay longer if i didnt have a job/family/life, that film seriously blew my mind.  So much going on under the surface and around the borders of it...I seriously wish I could watch it again for the first time because it had me thinking/feeling more than any film Ive seen in a looooong time.  "Sprign Breakers" and "The Place Beyond the Pines" were seriously overlooked and did way more for me than any of the 'nominated' films this year.  Im glad Jonah Hill got a nom, but Franco's character is an instant classic...shit I thought Bradley Cooper in "pines" was better than most all the performances nominated.  Too bad the Academy Awards scene is more about who is the most popular among certain crowds (aka who can ess a good dee)
[close]

i rented spring breakers just because it was brought up on here. when i first heard about it, it was on vice and they were plugging it super hard and it thought it looked pretty regular. i didnt even take the time to consider the satire. anyway, i watched it last night and thought it was amazing. easily the best movie ive seen in a while. im just coming out of that age group that the girls are in, so i feel like it was really relatable for me. i was never too when i was younger crazy, but if you wouldve asked me at 19 what i thought of that movie, i wouldve probably said that i wished i couldve been in it. the part where theyre in the hotel totally wrecking the place, if i were there a few years ago, i wouldve LOVED that shit when i was a shitty 19 year old. the movie captures that generation perfectly i think. the soundtrack. the slow mo shots that look like a music video. all the fake lighting. it was all perfect. i have to say my favorite scene was when alien picked up the girls from jail and took them to the spot where gucci and all the black guys were at and selina freaked out. everything about that was perfect. and i totally wouldve given gucci an oscar just for playing himself. when he pulled up to alien and the girls on the street, then drove away yelling BURRR as his bitch shot up their car was fucking hilarious. amazing movie.

i also rented wolf on wall street and thought it was kind of boring. the acting was great and the story wasnt bad, but it was way too long and the plot has been done a million times. young guy comes up and gets a taste of some illegal money, figures out a way to do it better and becomes super rich and powerful, does tons of drugs, fucks tons of women, and eventually gets caught. whether or not he dies, or comes out ok like in WOWS doesnt really matter to me. maybe i missed something with it but to me it was very dry. three hours of knowing exactly whats going to happen.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 06:15:04 AM by Kanye Omari West »

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6713 on: April 23, 2014, 06:32:16 AM »
^ not trying to argue, but what was so great about that movie? there were no surprises, no suspense. everything was predictable and it dragged on forever. acting was good and scorsese has already proven to be a great director, but just because scorsese directs it and dicaprio stars in it isnt enough for me to consider it a great movie.

Kanye Omari West

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6714 on: April 23, 2014, 07:33:37 AM »
^ not trying to argue, but what was so great about that movie? there were no surprises, no suspense. everything was predictable and it dragged on forever. acting was good and scorsese has already proven to be a great director, but just because scorsese directs it and dicaprio stars in it isnt enough for me to consider it a great movie.

The randomness of the characters was great (how you find Jonah Hill smoking crack and marrying his cousin predictable is beyond me), and, like you mentioned before, the acting was good. From the initial like 15-20 minutes I thought he'd just get into wall street and start making his way through the ranks legitimately with bullshit along the way rather than get hired, lose out, get rehired at a shitty spot, concoct his own operation and then start his whole craziness there. The stupidity that followed all of their drug abuse was fucking hilarious. You couldn't have really paid attention and not at least say this wasn't a funny movie. I can admit that it's like an updated Goodfellas with the way the story is narrated, drug usage and just all around insanity but that doesn't negate that it's at least hilarious and worth the watch. Anybody that watches flicks on the regular that's over the age of 16 can deduce the general plot of pretty much any movie that comes out today but it's more about the journey without so much focus on the actual destination in which I think the journey was executed in a fresh(er) approach. Idk what you could've been doing (homework, SLAPing, texting your girl) but it couldn't have been legitimately watching this

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6715 on: April 23, 2014, 08:21:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The randomness of the characters was great (how you find Jonah Hill smoking crack and marrying his cousin predictable is beyond me), and, like you mentioned before, the acting was good. From the initial like 15-20 minutes I thought he'd just get into wall street and start making his way through the ranks legitimately with bullshit along the way rather than get hired, lose out, get rehired at a shitty spot, concoct his own operation and then start his whole craziness there. The stupidity that followed all of their drug abuse was fucking hilarious. You couldn't have really paid attention and not at least say this wasn't a funny movie. I can admit that it's like an updated Goodfellas with the way the story is narrated, drug usage and just all around insanity but that doesn't negate that it's at least hilarious and worth the watch. Anybody that watches flicks on the regular that's over the age of 16 can deduce the general plot of pretty much any movie that comes out today but it's more about the journey without so much focus on the actual destination in which I think the journey was executed in a fresh(er) approach. Idk what you could've been doing (homework, SLAPing, texting your girl) but it couldn't have been legitimately watching this

bingo. there was just nothing new about the movie for me. it was so much like goodfellas that i thought scorsese played it too safe and just did what he knew would work. basically im that asshole who paid 3 bucks to watch it at home and wanted more. there were good parts, but three hours for a few laughs was too much for me. i wouldve loved to see WAY more crack smoking because that was hilarious. im sure i wouldve liked it a lot more if it were cut in half. three hour movies are just painful to me unless its something that totally captures my attention.

im a bad movie critic to begin with and i dont like too many movies. and the ones i do like are probably really stupid.

Jared

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
  • Die Slow
« Reply #6716 on: April 23, 2014, 08:32:28 AM »
MST3K is always a good time.

harrison ford invented the first car, in America

Kanye Omari West

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6717 on: April 23, 2014, 10:38:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

bingo. there was just nothing new about the movie for me. it was so much like goodfellas that i thought scorsese played it too safe and just did what he knew would work. basically im that asshole who paid 3 bucks to watch it at home and wanted more. there were good parts, but three hours for a few laughs was too much for me. i wouldve loved to see WAY more crack smoking because that was hilarious. im sure i wouldve liked it a lot more if it were cut in half. three hour movies are just painful to me unless its something that totally captures my attention.

im a bad movie critic to begin with and i dont like too many movies. and the ones i do like are probably really stupid.

True, s'all good. I put it on with no expectations whatsoever and I'm a sucker for comedies. I know many people that dug it. Different strokes though

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #6718 on: April 23, 2014, 11:01:37 PM »
So Transcendence is a dud, huh? Anyone seen it yet?

This was somewhat decent. He directed it so that might've helped, considering the other movies he's made lately.

get gnarly

• Rep: 9
« Reply #6719 on: April 27, 2014, 10:38:16 AM »
So Transcendence is a dud, huh? Anyone seen it yet?

Saw it last night. Going in with pretty high expectations, I was a little disappointed. Such good, interesting ideas in the beginning that weren't really developed. And the ending is just shit. 6/10