Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 925747 times)

aleksander

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 121
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #6720 on: April 27, 2014, 01:18:43 PM »
Saw Noah.?  Pretty imaginative.?  Felt like an atmospheric melding of The Road and The Lord of the Rings.?  Bleak and beautiful.?  Some of the sequences melted my face off with their wonderful execution.

I saw this one too and got home and tried to find out what in the movie was fiction and what was true (according to the Bible). The whole "you can't take the Bible literally" clause complicated things because it of course makes the words/translations/meanings malleable.
Nevertheless, here's what I learned the Bible says according to the most widely-accepted interpretations:

-- Noah was 600 years old at the time of the flood.

-- The world was repopulated through several incestuous relations, though at that time incest was not bad and only became a sin after "The Law."

-- After the flood Noah got drunk on wine and his son Ham sodomized and/or castrated him.

-- After coming out of his drunkenness and realizing Ham had cut off his Johnson and/or raped him, Noah cursed Ham's son, Canaan. The curse was that his progeny (who would go on to populate Africa) would forever be slaves to the progeny of Noah's other sons (who populated other parts of the world).

Now I'm not a bible scholar in the traditional sense, but that's fucked up.
"Let's just do something stupid and ridiculous and just be as fucking regular as we possibly can."

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #6721 on: April 27, 2014, 01:35:12 PM »
Twelve Years a Slave was great, really powerful and moving.

American Hustle was okay, I think that era of American life has been pretty picked over for movies.

ROCKxADIO420

« Reply #6722 on: April 27, 2014, 02:05:40 PM »
trying to watch captain phillips but the version i downloaded doesnt have subtitles for anything the pirates are saying... so hopefully thats not important

ROCKxADIO420

« Reply #6723 on: April 27, 2014, 02:10:50 PM »
wow this movies racist why are all the bad guys black

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #6724 on: April 27, 2014, 03:20:37 PM »

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #6725 on: April 29, 2014, 05:04:31 AM »

BraveUlysses

« Reply #6726 on: April 29, 2014, 05:36:04 AM »
Some movie that takes place in England where a innocent kid with no friends meets a group of neo nazis and ends up joining them. I've been trying to find out the name of the movie for days but surely someone om here knows what I'm talking about.

Harem

« Reply #6727 on: April 29, 2014, 05:47:53 AM »
Some movie that takes place in England where a innocent kid with no friends meets a group of neo nazis and ends up joining them. I've been trying to find out the name of the movie for days but surely someone om here knows what I'm talking about.

This is England.

BraveUlysses

« Reply #6728 on: April 29, 2014, 05:57:44 AM »
Hell yeah thanks! I've been searching shit like "half jamaican neo nazi" into Google for days.

arthurspooner

• Rep: 9
« Reply #6729 on: April 29, 2014, 08:48:25 AM »
trying to watch captain phillips but the version i downloaded doesnt have subtitles for anything the pirates are saying... so hopefully thats not important
youre not missing anything. that movie wasnt very good. too much hype

arthurspooner

« Reply #6730 on: April 29, 2014, 08:49:35 AM »
Expand Quote
King of comedy, not the stand up special. It's an older movie with Robert deniro, really good.
[close]
Liked it as well.  Actually first heard of it through skateboarding, there was an edit that I believe Greg Hunt made of some old, unseen Mike Daher and Ethan Fowler footage, and there were clips from King of Comedy throughout it.

I saw Hunger awhile ago but it really is pretty much the last good movie I've seen: 

steve mcqueen is the man. everything he has done has been great and powerful

arthurspooner

« Reply #6731 on: April 29, 2014, 08:52:07 AM »

I was pretty confused but I got it now. was real good enjoyed the filming and the score but mother fuck spiders.
best movie i have ever seen. denis villenueve is one of the most exciting directors. cant wait to see more films from him

arthurspooner

« Reply #6732 on: April 29, 2014, 08:56:43 AM »
Twelve Years a Slave was great, really powerful and moving.

American Hustle was okay, I think that era of American life has been pretty picked over for movies.
twelve years a slave was really good. my favorite seen is when they are all singing after they have buried the one dude, and solomon is not singing at first, but then fully gets into.
and american hustle was made out to be one of the greatest movies. it wasnt. it was just a bunch of overrated actors(bradley cooper, jennifer lawrence) dressed up silly. that dialouge was bogus, and the plot was not all that great, and the ending was not that hard to see coming.

LesbianPUNCH

• Rep: 25
« Reply #6733 on: April 29, 2014, 01:40:29 PM »
Expand Quote

I was pretty confused but I got it now. was real good enjoyed the filming and the score but mother fuck spiders.
[close]
best movie i have ever seen. denis villenueve is one of the most exciting directors. cant wait to see more films from him

I'm sad to say I ruined this movie for myself due to my incessant curiosity over the "Horrifying ending."  Avoid spoiling this one if you can.  Still haven't seen it beginning to end.

esoesloco

• Rep: -5
« Reply #6734 on: April 29, 2014, 01:59:25 PM »
Enemy - was not impressed, kept waiting for it to "actually" get weird but it left me disappointed...to me it felt too much like a David Lynch knockoff without the esoteric/mk-ultra mindfuck aspects that made Mulholland Drive so amazing

As for all the Scorsese talk on the last few pages, I was inspired to rewatch "The Departed" by an awesome joke reference in this video:

Lift Your Drinks
JFK once said, you get me a fuckin tuba Ill get ya somethin outta it...he was later shot by Matt Damon   :D

- anyone else seen the "Dom Mazzetti" and "Broscience Life" youtube gems???  To me these are funnier than anything out of Hollywood lately, guy is fucking hilarious

Exposure

• Rep: -269
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6735 on: April 29, 2014, 07:50:19 PM »
I did not find mulholland drive amazing
I can ollie 6 decks why would I want to scrape the ground with my tricks

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #6736 on: April 29, 2014, 08:41:21 PM »

skateboard pillows

• Rep: 6
« Reply #6737 on: April 29, 2014, 09:31:43 PM »
I thought Enemy was great. I had no idea what it was about before I watched it. I just knew it had Jake and was from the guy that directed Prisoners.

there was a split second after the last scene where I didn't know how I felt, then I smiled and decided I really liked it. it easily could have gone into the 'hey, fuck this' zone  if I'd been in another mood, or had it spoiled.

I think the Jonathan Richman song in there might have influenced my approval a good deal

after Prisoners and Enemy I think Jake Gyllenhaal is primed for a McConaughey style comeback.

arthurspooner

« Reply #6738 on: April 30, 2014, 08:29:17 AM »
ditto. except for that scene with hannah montanas dad. that scene was top notch and the acting could not have been better

esoesloco

• Rep: -5
« Reply #6739 on: April 30, 2014, 12:04:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
ditto. except for that scene with hannah montanas dad. that scene was top notch and the acting could not have been better

Perhaps its a contextual thing...but I had been reading this amazing/fucked up book called "Trance-Formation Of America" (highly recommended) and Mulholland Drive had so many motifs and themes that synched up with that book it was ridiculous...Lynch definitely has read it and sourced material from it heavily for several of his films - I was blown away how much Mulholland Drive made sense within the context of that book (its the kind of book that leaves a STRONG impression on the reader and Im sure Lynch was fascinated with the material)

http://www.amazon.com/Trance-Formation-America-Cathy-OBrien/dp/0966016548

here's a pdf if anyone wants to check it out http://wikispooks.com/wiki/File:Tranceformation_america.pdf

abraham linksys

• Rep: 1
« Reply #6740 on: May 03, 2014, 01:37:56 PM »

got high after the blazers/rockets game last night and watched this on Netflix.
it was shit. could've made it 8 minutes long and I would've actually enjoyed it.
waited the entire movie for 30 seconds of action.

piece of shit, straight up.

• Rep: -182
« Reply #6741 on: May 03, 2014, 01:51:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That's  because David Lynch sucks.

arthurspooner

« Reply #6742 on: May 05, 2014, 11:25:57 AM »
Just saw Under the Skin last night. Probably the most captivating film I have ever seen. Highly recommend it.

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #6743 on: May 06, 2014, 08:41:38 AM »
This one was pretty intense, had to watch it twice...

ill murray, can you remind me why you think im a kook

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #6744 on: May 18, 2014, 05:24:03 PM »

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

CumOnYourFace

hufs calve muscles

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #6746 on: May 18, 2014, 08:56:50 PM »
^^^ thought it was gonna be better. for some reason.

still good though.

arthurspooner

« Reply #6747 on: May 20, 2014, 10:41:29 PM »
I just watched Dogtooth on Netflix...and holy fuck. That is a fantastic film. It is fucked up, and hilarious at the same time. It left me pretty blown away. I highly recommend it. It is in Greek though. So you'll have to do subtitles.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #6748 on: May 21, 2014, 06:30:36 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

based on the poster alone, looks like a movie about the Roppongi Hills spider coming to life and Jake is the hero who defeats it. 

am i way off?

hardly art, hardly starving

arthurspooner

« Reply #6749 on: May 21, 2014, 09:07:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

based on the poster alone, looks like a movie about the Roppongi Hills spider coming to life and Jake is the hero who defeats it. 

am i way off?

Yeah, big time. The spider is a metaphor.