Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 925295 times)

dillanharp

Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #7050 on: January 16, 2015, 11:56:19 PM »
Just got back from American Sniper. Incredible.

Stanley Spadowski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
  • Can I still be the janitor?
« Reply #7051 on: January 17, 2015, 06:27:29 AM »
"These floors are dirty as hell, and I'm not gonna take it any more!"

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #7052 on: January 17, 2015, 10:07:36 AM »
I really dug Inherent Vice. It was sort of cross between The Long Goodbye and Big Lebowski. Not as much of a full on comedy like Lebowski, definitely more weird, and more of the humor is in the off kilter performances. I think this might become a classic, although I have heard from a few others who absolutely hated it.

I half want to see this and I'm sure it's a good film. Eastwood is no slouch. That said, I'm not sure I want to financially support something so utterly uncritical of the war itself and something that seems to mythologize Kyle himself, when the real guy may have been a total asshole/psychopath/jingoist/rascist/liar/bully.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
« Reply #7053 on: January 17, 2015, 03:12:31 PM »
I really enjoyed Unbroken and American Sniper.  Both had pretty gripping story lines, believable leads, good visuals.  Anyone have similar recommendations?

YourWifesPanties

« Reply #7054 on: January 17, 2015, 04:09:00 PM »
The Grand Budapest Hotel, Wes Anderson flicks are always good.

GeorgeCostanza

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -16
« Reply #7055 on: January 17, 2015, 05:01:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I half want to see this and I'm sure it's a good film. Eastwood is no slouch. That said, I'm not sure I want to financially support something so utterly uncritical of the war itself and something that seems to mythologize Kyle himself, when the real guy may have been a total asshole/psychopath/jingoist/rascist/liar/bully.

It dealt with the issues of PTSD way better than most movies ive seen, it was subtle and excellent, so in that way it sort of criticises that aspect of war. If you dont want to pay to see it, torrent it, because it really is worth watching.

Birdman was incredible and the score and cinematography stunned me. I have Inherent Vice downloaded but think I might wait off on watching it until it is out at the movies here in Australia.

Has anyone seen The Imitation Game? I'm thinking about seeing it but I don't like Benedict Cumberbatch much.
So Colllin have the same t-shirts, seven years by now, at least...

prettybird

• Rep: -3
« Reply #7056 on: January 17, 2015, 08:27:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

It dealt with the issues of PTSD way better than most movies ive seen, it was subtle and excellent, so in that way it sort of criticises that aspect of war. If you dont want to pay to see it, torrent it, because it really is worth watching.

Birdman was incredible and the score and cinematography stunned me. I have Inherent Vice downloaded but think I might wait off on watching it until it is out at the movies here in Australia.

Has anyone seen The Imitation Game? I'm thinking about seeing it but I don't like Benedict Cumberbatch much.
I thought Imitation game was just ok. The performances outshined the actual story, but worth watching. Reminded me of A Beautiful Mind in many ways.
My top four for the year in order are; The Grand Budapest Hotel, Birdman, Whiplash, and Inherent Vice.
As for worst film (that i recieved a screener for.) of the year was the latest transformers movie. I turned that piece of garbage of after maybe 10 minutes.

Rockin Robbin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 416
« Reply #7057 on: January 18, 2015, 11:57:53 AM »

Manhunter.
"Bake me a pie of love" - Steve Winwood

SCUBA

« Reply #7058 on: January 18, 2015, 11:22:37 PM »

tobbe

• Rep: 2
« Reply #7059 on: January 18, 2015, 11:39:24 PM »
The selfish giant was really good

Streebo

• Rep: -30
« Reply #7060 on: January 19, 2015, 12:18:11 AM »
the last mimzy

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7061 on: January 19, 2015, 04:00:49 PM »

Not sure how I had never seen this before, really good movie.

SCUBA

« Reply #7062 on: January 20, 2015, 01:08:35 PM »

Brandon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 291
« Reply #7063 on: February 01, 2015, 09:33:24 PM »
super good on all fronts. available on netflix, too.

dirtyweemidden

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #7064 on: February 02, 2015, 04:16:11 AM »
I finally got round to watching Bronson this weekend, holy shit man.. so good! Tom Hardy plays it perfectly, definately reccomend to anyone who hasnt seen it yet. i also watched 'the interview' last night, its stupid as fuck but its entertaining.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #7065 on: February 02, 2015, 07:14:31 AM »

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Brandon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7066 on: February 02, 2015, 11:37:34 PM »
making this a dedicated mads mikkelsen week. dude is the best:

Useless Wooden Bench

• Rep: 159
    • Pappy avatar image
« Reply #7067 on: February 05, 2015, 01:00:03 AM »
super good on all fronts. available on netflix, too.

Wow, just watched this, thanks for the recommend. Love a good feel bad movie and this was a good feel bad movie.

I've been on a Tom Hardy tip lately. The Drop and Locke - despite sounding like one break dancing movie - are actually two very good recent Hardy films.

SCUBA

« Reply #7068 on: February 05, 2015, 01:10:18 PM »

Brandon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7069 on: February 06, 2015, 11:02:25 AM »
useless wooden bench, i'm right there with you on the "good feel bad" movie appreciation. they're usually what i seek out.

my mads mikkelsen week is drawing to a close with this, which was also great:

can anyone recommend a solid list of danish (or scandinavian) films/directors?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 01:55:39 PM by Brandon »

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 672
« Reply #7070 on: February 06, 2015, 03:09:18 PM »
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

arthurspooner

• Rep: 9
« Reply #7071 on: February 06, 2015, 08:09:39 PM »
Just finished watching, Love is Strange. Man, I love John Lithgow and Alfred Molina. I would really like to see them more often. Such wonderful actors.

Really well done movie, I definitely enjoyed it. The ending was kind of bogus though and all the secondary characters really could've used some work, but every scene that JL and AM were the the main focus of, really ruled.

shark tits

« Reply #7072 on: February 06, 2015, 09:49:25 PM »
amelie. i tried watching it once a long time ago but got drunk and lost the plot/maybe passed out? i got a wicked big crush on the main girl and recognized some of the french actors from delicatessen and city of lost children. if i knew more about french culture i'd be a wigger but like a wigger for france. what would you even call that, a fracker maybe? socklay blaw muhfuckas.

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #7073 on: February 07, 2015, 12:25:14 AM »
can anyone recommend a solid list of danish (or scandinavian) films/directors?

You've seen the Pusher trilogy, right? Adam's Apples, Reconstruction and the original Nightwatch are all worth a watch.

I'd seen the poster as a kid but never watched it. Surprisingly good 90s horror with bad acting.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 12:54:45 AM by Garth Marenghi »

woodsman

• Rep: 65
« Reply #7074 on: February 07, 2015, 08:54:27 AM »
Just saw Starred Up. Highly recommend. It's streaming free if you have Amazon Prime.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #7075 on: February 07, 2015, 12:29:45 PM »
sick on my weekend, it's rainy out so been binge watching movies:

Rewind This!  Pretty entertaining documentary about VHS.. goes from the invention of, the whole beta max/VHS wars, straight to VHS movies and interviews with all kinds of insane low-budget movie directors and nerdy "collector" types who are annoying.  Jacob Rosenberg has a cameo with some Mike Carrol skate footage!

Rabid Dogs/Kidnapped.  All kinds of bad ass.. this movie.  a long time favorite of mine.. Italian 70's crime at it's meanest.  The whole movie takes place in a car.. Just viscous and mean.

Barton Fink. My favorite of movie of all time, watch it regularly.  They should've handed out Oscar's like m'n'm's for everyone in this film.

Combat Shock. Great movie, about a Vietnam vet losing his sanity.  Something about the basement budget adds a whole level of psychotic-ness.

The best (anti) war movie ever made, fantastic all around.  Oliver Stone, who I do not like, nailed it with this one.  Dark and depressing and hopeless like a war movie should be.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #7076 on: February 08, 2015, 11:09:57 AM »

^ Must read on this one http://www.austinchronicle.com/screens/2014-04-11/his-name-was-gary-poulter/

All three of them. Kissed by a Crocodile goes more in depth about female sex tourism.

This one is really interesting and shows the stark differences of how prostitution is viewed within different societies. A good one about prostitution in the States is "Hookers on Point".

thepman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -94
« Reply #7077 on: February 08, 2015, 11:41:50 AM »
Just saw Starred Up. Highly recommend. It's streaming free if you have Amazon Prime.

Watched this recently, brilliant film. Can't quite grasp why Jack O'Connell hasn't been nominated for anything given the stellar year he's had: Starred Up, 71 and Unbroken.
Got Calvary and Under the Skin to watch later, looking forward to both!
skating is all about choosing your outfit very deliberately, going out in public. looking super sick. and then riding your board a little bit

woodsman

• Rep: 65
« Reply #7078 on: February 08, 2015, 02:16:59 PM »
Calvary is really good. Very dark but I loved it.

Prop Joe

• Rep: 1
« Reply #7079 on: February 08, 2015, 03:41:52 PM »
Watches Spikes 'Her' for the first time the other day. Absolutely brilliant film, haven't had a movie stick with me for so long afterwards like that. Score, use of colour et al is perfect, plus Joaquin Phoenix is amazing as usual. Weird having Scarlett Johansson as just a voice but god damn that voice is sexy. Would 100% recommend.
Look the part, be the part motherfucker.